Allergy Community
Allergic to Dairy Products/ Lactose Intolerant?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

I've never posted in this forum before, FYI, if this question sounds silly or off the wall...
So, I was diagnosed as being allergic to dairy products.  Is this the same as lactose intolerance?  If it is the same can I just take a lactose pill and eat whatever dairy I want?

The symptoms of a dairy allergy could be respiratory problems, digestive problems and/or skin reactions. Lactose intolerance is an enzyme deficiency. It has to do with sugars (lactose is a milk sugar) and how they are broken down into your intestinal tract and absorbed. They are two different things.

You could try soy products and/or purchasing a cheap homeopathic remedy for dairy allergies. My husband had skin problems after drinking or eating dairy products and a homeopathic remedy I bought for him actually worked.

What symptoms do you have? Lactose intolerance and milk allergy - which is allergy to the milk protein are two separate things.

What have you been diagnosed with?

If you are lactose intolerant you cannot have milk, other diary products and other products which have lactose in them.

If you have milk allergies you cannot take milk and other diary products , but you could still consume products with lactose in them.

I think it would be best if you could consult your doctor for a confirmed diagnosis and consult a nutrition specialist to draw up a list of things you need to avoid.

Let us know if you have any other doubts and post us on how you are doing.

Hope this helps.

Regards.