Allergic to Lip Products?
I am 18 years old, and I have never been allergic to anything in my life. As part of my nightly routine, I've always put on lip balm before bed. However, late last year, my lips started to get more dry and chapped than usual, even itchy. They felt like sand paper and often developed tiny bumps. If rubbed hard enough, the bumps would produce a clear liquid. The edges of my lips also sometimes felt very raw and red. These symptoms would last around a week.
At the time, I had been using just plain Burt's Bees Lip Balm for many weeks. When I got the symptoms, I used a bit more of the balm than I usually did, thinking it would help the dryness. When nothing seemed to be working, I stopped using it altogether. In time, my lips healed, and I switched to Softlips lipbalm in both vanilla and peppermint flavors. I showed no reaction from their usage for about a month. Then, I started getting the same reaction that I got from the Burt's Bees Lip Balm. That was when I figured I was developing an allergy to lip balm. Over time, I also realized I was getting the same reaction even faster from lipstick and lipgloss. That meant I was allergic to all lip products across the board.
I began researching into the symptoms and the ingredients in lip products, especially ones that commonly produced allergic reactions. With that knowledge in mind, I've tried many other balms these past months, including ones by Blistex and Kiss my Face. I'm even allergic to plain Chapstick. At first, I would not show any symptoms at all, but they would eventually show up within a few weeks, sometimes days. I even tried alternating the balms every night, which helped slightly but I would eventually get the reaction again. Nowadays, I only wear lip balm every few nights because I can't stand having chapped lips, but never multiple nights in a row. Even then, there's always a chance of my reacting to it.
I haven't been able to pinpoint the exact ingredient that I'm allergic to, and I'm hesitant to spend any more money to try more products. I haven't changed anything about my diet, makeup, facewash, mouthwash, or toothpaste, so I am very certain that it's the lip products. After my research I've also found that other people have had the same problem.

Has any product been found that works but doesn't trigger a reaction from people with my allergies?

I've heard that Vaseline is possibly the only solution, but because of my research I've been staying away from products with petroleum and petrolatum in them. Should I try it out anyway?
I had this problem for almost a whole week. I had been using my Burt's Bees lip balm more than I usually do as well. I figured that I must have an allergy to something in the lip balm. I found that what the reaction could be is something called contact dermatitis or hives. These are some things that I did to help reduce the symptoms:

- Apply something cold on the affected area. I took some ice cubes and wrapped them with a towel. You can also take a metal spoon and put it in the freezer for 10-15 minutes and put it over the affected area. It basically reduces swelling and redness, but it just helps a little, it's not a fix for sure. It definitely helps with the burning sensation as well!
- Cleansing my face with a gentle cleanser. Try not to use anything harsh around the area.
- If you use a facial moisturizer, be sure to use something for sensitive skin or avoid using anything harsh. Also, when applying a moisturizer or cream try using your ring finger as it has the most gentle touch.
- I also found that using my Sweet Mint EOS lip balm made my lips feel soothed and refreshed.
- Try not to touch or scratch!

Call your doctor if your rash isn’t better after a couple of days. Usually your doctor can examine you and ask questions to figure out what’s causing the rash.
I have had this exact same problem for almost 2 years now. This thread was a lifesaver 2 years ago when I was feeling really depressed about it. I had no problems with any lip products (I loved them!) but all of a sudden I started getting an allergic reaction (super itchy, swelling, crusting, oozing, scarring) to almost everything I owned. I went to some dermatologists and they were confused as to what might be triggering it (as even Vaseline did not help- it hurt it) but after dealing with it for 2 years, I found out that it's pretty much anything in lip products or even non-lip products like setting spray or non-zinc sunscreen if I get it on/around my lips at all. Plus, as you get older (I'm 24 right now) you are more susceptible to develop allergies to things. I use a small amount of OTC hydrocortisone cream (applied once daily) when that happens for a day or two until the symptoms go away. I use CeraVe for my daily facial moisturizer and nothing but Aquaphor for my lips (Aquaphor is amazing and a lifesaver). Works great and I haven't had to deal with breakouts/flares since the initial reaction and my lips are normal and I can eat food without flaring (finally!)

It stinks though because I love lip products and it seems like this contact dermatitis is here to stay indefinitely. I can get away with lip stains like Stainiac once in a while but only a light swipe and I have to be careful to treat the itchiness with hydrocortisone the second I feel it coming on to avoid a full on flare. I wonder if EOS and Almay Liquid Lip Balm and other hypoallergenic products are safe for me to use. But I've been reaction-free for a long time and I don't know if it's worth it for me to try. Any input would be great! It looks like it works for the posts above me but unlike them, my lips reacted to everything except Aquaphor.
I've had the same problem for 2 years now. I've never been allergic to anything but started developing all kinds of allergic reactions. I found out I'm allergic to certain lip balms and lipsticks. Vaseline helped it when it was trying to heal. I'm definitely allergic to EOS lip balms, but that confuses me because I thought they had natural ingredients. I'm still not sure which ingredients I'm allergic to yet. My friend gave me an extra lip balm that she uses and that helped. It's called Karite Lip Balm. It's the only lip balm I'm using now and you can find it on Amazon. I'm afraid of using anything else.
Lanolin for breastfeeding moms works great and is edible. It is made from lamb fat.
Lanolin might be a cause for the reaction. I'm currently investigating that ingredient as a cause for mine. If you look up allergic lip reactions to lanolin, you'll see the symptoms are exactly what everyone's describing in this thread. Just posting this as a caution because I'm leery of lanolin myself at the moment. Haven't figured out which ingredients are the culprits yet.
So I'm not alone
It started with Nivea's repair & protection lipbalm. After using it 2-3 times for 4 days my lips became severely dry & then they got swollen, itchy & started burning with red bumps. It took a month of treatment to get my lips back to normal. The doctor adviced me to use Vaseline but that didn't suit me either (even though I've used it before). Coconut oil & butter made my lips itchy too. So use to apply milk cream before going to bed.
And then 2 years later I used Maybelline's Baby lips & the same reaction happened but this time it happened within an hour of application. Another doctor gave me a treatment of steroids & some lotion for a month & adviced me to use Nivea Creme for dry lips.
I'm allergic to a lot of things like Dove soap, a lot of facewash brands, silver, gold, aluminum, tungsten, foundation cream, Lakme sunscreen, compact powder & a lot of other stuff & I was sooo frustrated!
WHAT WORKS FOR ME NOW -
I took my doctor's advice & tried Nivea Creme (the one that comes in a tiny blue container thingy). I apply it daily before bed. That's it, I try not to over-do it as I don't wanna take a risk of getting a reaction again. And I use Coloressence lipstick as they are said to have herbal ingredients. Recently I've used Mentholatum LipIce lipbalm thrice a week & it didn't hurt.
I've been having terrible reaction and my lips would swell up and blister and peel. After dermatologist suggested an SPF allergy I have gone to using only aqua phor for hydration. Any lip balm containing oxybenzone or oxybenzene I stay away from. Titanium and zinc oxide seem ok. I too have a reaction to most lip gloss. Never had this problem until a few years ago. Frustrating!
Well!! it's great to see that I'm not the only one dealing with this craziness! Since forever I knew I couldn't use any chapstick or balsam for longer than a month but, recently I have had the worst experience ever! I'm allergic to everything and if I'm not after a week I will!. I'm also allergic to orange/yellow fruits, If one fruit of that color touch my lips, I'm in hell!....
Did you guys find a natural solution??? is affecting my lips everywhere and my mustache area!
Thanks so much for creating this thread! I have been suffering since 11th grade, which it seems is common with everyone here. Later middle school thru high school.
My reaction goes like this: apply offending lip stuff, possible normal wear for a few hours, then dry. Come home and remove and wash thoroughly. Whether I put a moisturizer on or not, the following day I will have a million itty bitty bumps that aren't visible in the mirror, but feel like sandpaper grit on my lips. And it makes them kinda wrinkly. Then it turns into like a lip scap that I cannot peel or else it will leave my lips raw and painful, and if I leave it, my lips are stiff as a board. Then showering, I can slough it off with a washrag after another two days. Finally, they will return to their normal super dry state.
I cannot use lipsticks without vaseline underneath or ANY lip glosses even Juice Beauty or YES, and chapstick, Burts Bees and Carmex are killers. The first time I tried MacGlass my lips were on fire instantly and my lips broke out worse than ever for a week, despite instant removal.
Now, I can only use Vaseline (still trying to find a replacement). Shea Butter is OK but it is too sticky/waxy for long term, so it's best for overnight. Coconut Oil doesn't last more than 5 minutes.  
I just ordered Hurraw! lip balms, so I'm hoping these will work. It is so embarrassing to not be able to have a full face of makeup with lips done unless I'm gonna pay the price. :(
Thank you all for posting, I've had the same allergy for the last 20+ years and never knew there were so many with the same issue: allergy to Chapstick, soft lips, burts bees, most revlon, department store lipsticks, etc and even Almay hypoallergenic lip color. I've successfully used Vaseline for most of the time, and on days I want a little color, a lip liner with the Vaseline. I hope we find a solution for this annoying issue, but in the meantime, I hope this helps you guys!! (Also I noticed that I have a worse reaction when it has this crayony/ plastic smell)
I have had eczema for most of my life and have extremely sensitive skin.  I cannot wear many products and don't wear lipstick.  The only thing I can wear on my lips is AQUAPHOR!  It's the best!  

Here are some products that have saved my life:
-aveeno body lotion (fragrance free)
-aquaphor/eucerin products:  i love all eucerin/aquaphor products.

Hope that helps!
Hi!
I have the same problem as you, it started this year during summer. I would apply a lipstick and the next day my lips would get swollen and very itchy with those tiny annoying bumps and then get very dry and start peeling.
The only thing that works for me right now is Vaseline, but I fear I can develop sensitization for that too.
I've been trying to sort out which ingredients I was allergic to, but it seems I have more than a few, and I could not identify which.
Then I decided a different approach, and tried to search for relations between vitamin deficiencies. I found some articles relating vitamin C and D deficiency with allergies. Nothing conclusive. I'm still searching for more info on this.
I know for a fact that I do have some D deficiency, as I don't sunbathe much, and D is difficult to get through food. I will try supplement and see how that goes, but probably I lack other nutrients too.
I don't know about C deficiency.
Since so many of us suffer with this problem, I became curious, and wanted to know, maybe we all share something in common and that could be a vitamin deficiency.
So here are some questions that I would like to share:
1 - Do you have enough exposure to sun (without sunscreen)? Here is a link to have an idea of how much exposure is ideal: http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/how-do-i-get-the-vitamin-d-my-body-needs/
- I don't

2 - Do you have a 'healthy' diet? Lots of fruits and raw vegetables (over-cooked vegetables loses much of their value in nutrients due to heat)
- I eat my share of fruits everyday, but used to overcook veggies. Will try to change that.

This is a long shot, but maybe we can find something! Thanks for sharing your experience!
I'm 45 and recall having trouble with lipstick from the 1st time I tried it as a kid until I stopped in my late teens after much peeling and itching and fluid. Even now, just smelling lipstick puts me off. There's that certain waxy smell as someone mention earlier. Just makes me feel dry and itchy all over thinking about the smell.

I can't wear anything else on my lips either - all creams I've tried and balms and waxes bother me (Vaseline is ok once in a while but doesn't feel great) plus a dairy sensitivity makes my lips peel and on occasion another food sensitivity combination that I haven't figured out yet burns them and forms large, dark scabs that are particularly unlovely, let me tell you.

Anyway to answer your open question, I don't get enough vitamin D (live in Canada) and have never taken supplements. I think I'll start just to see, thank you for the suggestion.

As for food I think my diet is pretty great for someone who can't eat local, in-season produce year round. Mostly organic, alkaline, juiced, blended, minimal sugar, no wheat, no dairy (bc skin sensitivity), healthy fats, minimal boxed stuff, good quality meat and mostly home cooked.

Switching to this diet some years back really helped some issues (plus I just don't get colds and flus anymore - it's amazing) but the lip problem has stayed throughout, unchanged. In my case I would rule out diet as that has changed over the course of my life but with no change in the lip issue. I'd say my lips might be the weakest part of my body or reflect whatever larger problem there is, the most.

At least I had a few good years with cherished lip gloss in my teens but to wear lipstick again, that would be pretty nice.
About 3 months ago I ended up with similar symptoms to all many of you...super irritated lips that felt chapped all the time, tiny bumps on them, etc.  It drove me crazy for over 2 months before I finally went to my dermatologist.  She immediately identified an allergy/sensitivity to several lip balm/lip stick ingredients.  She recommended avoiding the following:
- lanolin
- beeswax
- sunscreen of any kind
- fragrance and flavoring
- carmine (a type of dye)

She also prescribed me Triamcinolone Acetonide Ointment (0.025%) to be applied at night to my lips for about a month.  This stuff is amazing!  All my symptoms were gone within 2 days!

For the first month, she recommends only using Vaseline on my lips and she said to use a q-tip rather than my finger to apply it.  After a month she said I can try lip products again, but the only brands she suggested using are Origins and Clinique because they are made for sensitive skin.

Hope that helps!
Let us know how the Origins and Clinique worked out for you. I'm currently trying the line "100% Pure" which is made completely of fruit and natural ingredients. One of the glosses that has a blushy red color to it had been fine so far. But I'm scared it's just a matter of time.
I have suffered with this problem for about a year. Exactly the same symptoms; itchy lips, swelling, oozing clear liquid, dryness, and the only thing I've found that helps it go away/can be used on a daily basis as a lipbalm is a product called Aquaphor. You can get it from Boots in the UK and quite a lot of Chemists in the US and it is like a magic treatment! My problems last for about a week when using other lip products, but having the Aquaphor made it slightly more bearable than when using standard chapstick/Vaseline.

I regularly used to use red lipsticks from all brands, that didn't react with my lips, until I used a lipstick from Avon that just sent them crazy. Now Aquaphor is the only thing I can wear.

I really miss wearing my lipsticks, but weirdly I've found that if I mix eyeshadow with the Aquaphor moisturiser, it turns into a lipstick-style paste than can be used as a temporary lipstick solution.

I have recently got one of the Clinique Chubby sticks as a present and I am a bit apprehensive to try it, as although I know it is anti-allergy, I haven't yet been able to determine what it is that reacts with my lips, and can't face having to have the horrible swollen lip symptoms again.

At least it's good to know that I'm not alone! I should probably go to a doctor to check it out, but when the symptoms first started happening I found lots of blogs which said others had approached the doctors and had been turned away, with the doctor saying they didn't know the cause and it was 'just something they were going to have to live with', which is why I've carried on like this for a year without any medical interventions. Have others suffered such a reaction when they've approached the docs?
Hi!!
I have been having literally the EXACT SAME issues you've been having!! Same symptoms and the same changing and trying of different products with the same results!! I also have just been using Vaseline lip therapy for over a year now & it's the only thing I use that doesn't bring the allergic reaction back. I hope it goes away for both of us!
Nappy rash cream at night - it really works and is very gentle.
Thank you for starting this post. This is my life ling struggle. And I've tried pretty much everything under the sun. As just like most of us, Nothing works. Or even if it did work, it only work for so long then the sensitivity kicked in again.

I found a similar post once and remember that the conclusion from that threat was that we could be allergic to a certain type of preservation that the lipstick/balm contains. So we could watch for that. And yes beeswax is ridiculous. My lips would peel of like big piece of skin, it's crazy.

What I found works for me for a long time is Clamex, BUT only in stick form, not the tube, not the jar. Coconut oil doesn't work because it's too thin that it actually trigger the dryness and the lips chapped, same as Vasline.

My tips is, to not using any lips product until your lips get better, then you could try lipstick one by one. It's a long process but it works for me. So now I have a few lipsticks that I could use and I don't need lip balm. My lips are not fine without lip balms. The lipsticks that work are Makeup Forever, BITE, YSL and some from Clinique.

I'm so glad I'm not alone in this! A few months ago, after one night, I got a huge reaction (i THINK it was Aquaphor, but not 100% sure, too scared to try it again even with all the good reviews for it.) Now I use vaseline, but I still get little bumps on the edge of my lips from week to week, sometimes with liquid coming out and I am thinking of seeing a dermatologist soon to check it out. Keep me updated on your experiences please! Hope someone finds a CURE soon
Blistex Silk and Shine-THE BEST THING EVER. I cannot wear ANYTHING else. I have used this for years and literally panic if I'm without it. I met a girl once who also swore by blistex Silk and Shine (grey tube). Aquaphor was just like vaseline and offered me no relief.  
Hi All!  My write-up will be short and brief.  I used Burts Bees Wax for months and my lips were fine for a long time.  Suddenly, I got the fine bumps on the edges of the lips, I got spots on my lips that were dry patches (like eczema) and the out parts would start to ooze.  I used cream Benadryl and Cortisone and it cleared my lips up over a few days.  I tried to use regular Chap Stick and my lips started again.  I tried a lip stick and they did the same thing.  I found that beeswax was the common denominator in all the products I was using so I stopped.  I use the Blistex in the blue little screw top jar and that is the only thing that works for me with no breakouts!.  Maybe this will help someone.
You might be allergic to bee pollen such as beeswax/cera alba. A lot of lip moisturizers contain them.
Hey
I can only wear Vaseline, but want to add some color on my lips but whatever brand I tried ended up with Lip eczema (Cheilitis)  for past 3 years - are u able to find any colored lip product that worked for you please?
I've found the only think that works for me is vaseline.  I did wonder if the moisturisers I used on my face could be aggravating the problem
I have the SAME issue with my lips! This has been happening since I was a teen and now I am in my 30's. I had been using Nivea Kiss of Shine for the past few years and couldn't use anything else. But they recently discontinued it and I am frantic to find something else to replace it. I am so scared I wont be able to find anything else that I can use. I have tried other Nivea products but it results with my lips swelling and having the sweat-like bumps, the dryness and the crackled effect. I have tried carmex, chapstick, blistix, other random lip stuff and I can't even use Vaseline in the jar any longer. I did see a few tubes of Nivea Kiss of Shine on Amazon for $34.99 but that will only last a short time. It will only postpone the inevitable that I need to find a new product that I am not allergic to. I might try coconut oil because I have been hearing such great things about it. But other than that....if anyone has the answer to what we can all use, PLEASE HELP!!!! Thank you. :)  
I have had problems with my lips chapping and burning very badly. None of the lip products worked."Neutrogena Revitalizing Lip Balm".

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=340474&catid=300859&aid=338666&aparam=340474&kpid=340474&CAWELAID=120142990000042074&CAGPSPN=pla&kpid=340474

I have been using it for 2.5 yrs now and there's no irritation whatsoever.
Hope this help.

I used to use any brand of lipstick or Chapstick. My favorite Chapstick was Cococare, but one day that started to hurt my lips.  A few years later it's lipstick, and now even the CVS brand of Chapstick I'd been using. I still have not pinpointed the exact ingredients that are affecting me. That being said, I started to realize I can use lip balms and lip glosses, but not lipsticks or chapsticks. Even after just one use I notice before the next day, and then it takes a week for my lips to feel and look normal again. When I asked the dermatologist she advised using Aquaphor. I haven't tried it because (so far) I am okay with using the balms and glosses. At night I've started using the EOS lip balm with no issues over the last several months. I've reached out to Loreal to ask their advice regarding the ingredients in their
Iipsticks versus balms because I can actually use the balms with no problems.
I think you have what I have which is a BEESWAX allergy. Just stay away from anything that has beeswax in it and you should be fine. The bad part about this is that A LOT of skin care (lotions, body cream, body butter, moisturizer, etc) and lip balms, lip gloss, lipstick and lip anything does have that as an ingredient. I went through that for years and went in and out of the doctor, it got worse when I started using the Yes to grapefruit lip balms. I was misdiagnosed multiple times and got RXs each time. I researched this online as I know it wasn't what I kept being misdiagnosed with. After not having beeswax on my skin at all, I have not had any of these experiences ever. I believe it has been almost a year and this has never happened to me for as long as I can remember. I had to throw out more than half of anything I owned that had beeswax in it. Lotions, body butters, lip balms, lip sticks, lip glosses.
I  am nearly 70 and had no problems with lip sensitivity until 6 months ago. My lips were increasingly dry and cracking, my dermatologist diagnosed chelitis and advised that I used hydrocortisone ointment 1% and pure vaseline and sent me on my merry way on a 6 weeks tour of Europe.Wow! pain and suffering! my lips ulcerated and I was drinking wine through a straw!(have to get your priorities straight) Being a ex nurse i applied myself to the problem and tried to research what was causing the problem. Ever tried to access the internet from a ship in the middle of the Agean?I settled on petroleum jelly as the common irritant  with maybe mint toothpaste and fragrances as a contributing factor.Eliminate,eliminate ,eliminate!!!Found a great natural lip balm in Greece(apivita) you may be able to get it on the internet,a fragrance free shampoo and a plain toothpaste without additives.Also found a brand of hydrocortisone 1% without petroleum.I was facing a wedge resection of about 1/3 of my lip to get rid of the ulcer, but it has now healed As of this moment I live in Hope Best wishes Robyn

Are you on birth control?  I had a similar issue and started a new birth control because my hormones were "unbalanced", and it seemed to solve the issue.

Just a thought!

I know this post is a few years old but a month ago I went thru this exact same issue. I have had dry lips since a kid. Im about to be 27 in a few days. I use to just use Vaseline for several years and couldn't use lipstick or lip glosses but my lips looked normal just always felt dry to me. I started using EOS and Burts Bees for a several months EOS worked pretty good then one day last month I went swimming at the lake with EOS on and sunscreen to protect my lips the next day I woke up to my lips feeling like sand paper. For a few weeks I tried cocunut oil, olive oil and vasaline. Nothing worked my lips were so dry and stiff it was very uncomfortable everytime i put something on it would dry up within 10 minutes they got to were they were swollen, had tiny bumps on them, and they were very inflamed even around my lips was red but the outside area itched. It got so bad after a few weeks I gave up and had to go to Urgent Care. The doctor wasnt sure what it was but told me to throw away all my lip products in case I was allergic to them or they were contaminated. She prescribed me antibiotics, fungal cream, and steroids. It took my lips a while to heal when they were healing they started peeling really bad. Now their finally looking normal, for a while I was scared to use anything but my lips still feel dry so I finally decided to give my baby lips by maybelline a try again. I have had it for a year but it made my lips feel dry before. Now it feels a lot better then nothing and it has some color to it for a bonus since I havent been able to wear lipsticks in several years. Im sure by now you found a solution. Just thought I would share my story in case anyone else is going thru something similar.
I've been having the same issues since I was a young teenager (am 30 now), but within the past year, the issues just seem to be getting worse. Lately, I've had to take Zyrtec everyday because the reaction has been so bad. I started vaping last year after quitting smoking and thought that possibly the PG in the liquid was the causing factor. However, I stayed off of the vape for a week and my lips did not clear up. Vaseline works if all else fails, but I find that the best thing to do is not use anything, if at all possible, but moisturize your face twice a day with an eczema lotion (I use Aveeno) and then only use the Vaseline if absolutely necessary. I also like to use a little organic coconut oil at night if they are extra dry. Also, look at your toothpaste and/or mouthwash as well. I find that the super minty ones irritate my mouth really bad. I've been using children's toothpaste and mouthwash in a non-mint flavor (make sure it has flouride though) and that seems to be helping some as well. Hope this helps!
What do you do for when you are in the sun?
I will spend some time reading through all the comments on this site when I have a moment because I have found that at nearly 50, as I start some researching, that  I seem to have a developed an allergic reaction to colourstay lipsticks (so far).  I have been able to wear anything on my lips forever and although I am a fairly sensitive skinned person, most things were OK and I am just very careful in the sun. I changed brand with no luck, and am avoiding wearing lipstick totally at the moment.  Put it on last night, just to go to a party, slight swelling, redness and tenderness today so it's not looking great.

Great to find somewhere to sit and read other people's advice and stories.,  Thanks everyone.

bartyboo
I have similar problems with my lips, especially in the winter. After much research on the internet, I found out that the culprit ingredient is Carmine. It causes blistering and acute chapping, that takes weeks to get over. It's a red/pink dye from bug-yes, to be exact, beetle shells. It's in so many things, not just cosmetics, food too. I have to read labels. Many labels say "may contain carmine"....then I skip it. Also, manufactures can boast that their product is "all natural", because technically it is, beetles are natural...yuck!!
Since 2012, I've had the same problem: small blisters, cracked corners, peeling..etc. from using any type of packaged lip product. I avoid using lip products. If I accidentally put my face moisturizer near my lips, they started to dry up and crack like the allergy symptoms. The only thing I use on my lips are Vaseline and oils like coconut, grapeseed and such. They are the only things that don't cause any reaction. My lips have restored its health now. I wonder why there is not much research for this allergic reaction. If you really want to put some color to your lips, you can DIY your tinted lip balm using Vaseline and some colored powder from blush. Heat the petroleum jelly and add the scraped powder in a small pot. You can mix the color and saturation to your liking. Let it cool down and there you have your own tinted lip balm. Nonetheless, your natural lips are already beautiful, why torture it with artificial colors and ingredients? x.
Did you find any colored lip product or lipstick without beeswax please?
I think this may be allergic contact cheilitis and can be confirmed with a patch test. Stay away from any sort of lip products. Better you apply coconut oil on lips while at home. You can also apply honey as it has natural healing properties and it helps spreading of infection. It would also prevent dryness. Better you talk to an immunologist.
Hi All, I'm just so amazed that a problem which I have battled with for the last 10 years, is as common as described on this forum. A big thanks to everyone who has posted! I started off having the itchy, bumpy, oozing lip rash while in the last trimester of pregnancy for my 2nd child. I had similar symptoms on my face and around my eyes, and went to see a dermatologist, immunologist and skin allergist. They could not find anything, but they did feel that my cosmetic products were to blame. I have had a pharmacy compounded ointment and several topical steroids and an immunomodulator cream (Elidel) prescribed in the past. The ONLY solution was to stop using all lipsticks and glosses, and at some stage, also stopped Vaseline too. I now have permanent hyper-pigmented (dark) patches on my otherwise pink lips.

I am now in my 40's and I have spent LOTS of money on products and time researching and trialling several things, 'hypoallergenic brands', medications, and trials of lip balms and lipsticks over the years; but I always eventually develop the same symptoms. I even had a long period of time completely make-up free. Anyway, thank God, I can now use select face make-up products without any problems, and I have found over the years that my lips slowly adapted to my use of Vaseline as a daily emollient; I use the 100% jelly and also Vaseline Lip Therapy varieties (e.g Aloe Vera, Cocoa Butter) which I carry about and use a couple of times daily. I still get a reaction to lipsticks and glosses, some worse than others. Hence, I have completely ditched glosses and only use lipsticks for special outings (which I apply over the Vaseline film that I first apply on my lips). I have to wash it off asap when I get back home, and still have a mild reaction, which I have learnt to heal with application of the Vaseline jelly more frequently in the days thereafter.

I do notice that my lip reaction is worse when I'm dehydrated and less severe when I ensure lots of water intake. In very severe cases, I take some prescribed steroid tablets for 1-3 days, which fortunately has not been required for a very long time now, especially as I have learnt to prevent 'break-outs' and manage my lips better. I once read some years ago that mixing natural food dyes from the 'organic' food or baking section of the supermarket with an emollient base that works for you ( e.g Aquaphor, Vaseline, Shea Butter, Coconut Oil, etc) can be a non-allergenic source of lip tinting (as long as you are not allergic to the food dye!)

Keep on posting and let's hope for the best solutions for this allergy!
I have been going through this as well and I just need a cure.  Right now I am using some prescription cream that I am not supposed to be using long time but I am.  The prescription cream is giving me acne around my mouth now.  I need help.
USE VASELINE!! I have gone through the same thing over these past 5 years and Vaseline is the ONLY lip product that has worked for me. I have also taken benadryl(the pink tablets for allergies) and that is a huge factor in helping also.  
be wary of Vaseline. Petroleum jelly could be the thing that's hurting you.
Hello all, reading your messages really helped me cope with the weird lip rash I was experiencing. I used EOS lip balm for years and my lips began to become extremely dry, so I switched to burts bees and the same thing happened! My lips were covered in little bumps that burned and flaked horribly, I followed one of the ladies' advice and it had worked for me! I use blistex medicated lip ointment let it set and then using a warm washcloth in a circular motion left to right on the upper and lower lip I lightly exfoliate. Then I apply more blistex, and lightly exfoliate some time later, this is the fastest healing method I have found. I'm not sure what caused my reaction and how to go from here but my lips look almost back to normal!
I have chapped lips my whole life.  The only things that works for me is vaseline.  I am allergic to all lip balms with spf.  Last year my lips were sunburn so bad i had to go to the emergency room
I used to always use Chapstick, then around the time i turned 17 I started having the same reaction. Swelling and bumps. And recently along with that, slits at the sides of my mouth like I ate too many salty chips. I just found out that it is possible to develop an allergy to topical vitamin E. A lot of lip products and skin care contain vitamin E. I learned this because after searching forever for a lip balm that wouldn't break me out (because I'm pretty sure the first allergen was petroleum jelly. So Vaseline doesn't help me, just makes it worse) at first I made my own lip balm and it worked fine. It was nice and glossy, but really liquidy and would spill out of the container I kept it in. When I ran out of that, instead of making more because I'm really lazy, I used two of the ingredients and switched them out. Sometimes I would use vitamin E capsules and just rub that on my lips. It was smooth and kept them moisturizer longer. I only needed it about once a day. And other times I would use palmers cocoa butter which contains vitamin E. All was fine, until one night after rubbing the vitamin E capsule on I woke up the next morning with familiar symptoms. So I stopped the capsule because I figured that had caused it since I used it the night before. All was fine. However these past few days my lips were starting up again and the cocoa butter is the only thing I use. And since it has vitamin E in it, and the last time I had a reaction was to the vitamin E I looked up if others had experienced vitamin E allergies. They had. But before looking it up, I rubbed aloe Vera on my lips to help them out. But when my vitamin e allergy was confirmed I also realized Aloe Vera contains Vitamin E. When I looked in the mirror my lips were slightly more swollen than before. So now I'm on the hunt again for something that works for me. No petroleum jelly, and no vitamin E.
Forgot to mention I'm now 21
I've been experiencing the same issues for about 5 months now- I first thought it was from eating mango since I heard that creates this type of reaction and I had eaten a mango that very first time. I eventually realized it was happening any time I used chapstick or lipstick- it doesn't happen right away, but typically about 3 days later and then lasts for a week. I've used these products for 29 years with no issues!  I've been using rubbing alcohol to dry out the bumps and then cortisone cream. My sister in law suggested Aquaphor which someone else in this forum said works, so I'm definitely going to get that as well.  I have an appt at the allergist this week but was wondering if anyone has tried a lipstick that doesn't have all of the typical ingredients that most lipsticks have? I've tried to self diagnose but lipsticks have SO many ingredients that I can't quite figure it out. I know that we all could possibly be allergic to different ingredients in these products but I'm just curious as I do like to wear lipstick to work events but it hasn't been worth it because the reaction is so painful! Thanks!
I'm 19 and a year ago my mom gave me chapstick. I put it on over night and woke up to lips 4x the normal size. They burned and itched. When I went to wash off any remaining chapstick, nearly all the skin peeled off of my lips. Within a few days I started breaking out with hives on my face and neck, severe enough that I had to be taken for immediate medical treatment. Ever since then, I can't use any chapstick or lip balm. The only thing I can use is unscented vaseline on my lips. It's gross, but it makes my lips super soft and I don't react to it.
Didn't know why all those numbers and symbols posted with that sorry everyone
I have pretty much the exact same allergic reaction. My dermatologist said it could be a developed allergy to the mentholatum in lip balms. So I try to stick to ones without and with natural ingredients. She also recommended using Crisco, the baking oil, on my lips til they healed since it is the best natural moisturizer since it is vegetable oil. It works great and I've been using it for years. The downside is you need to put it in a small twist container and use your fingers which can be a little messy and it doesn't last long on your lips. When I find a decent lip balm (I'm always changing and trying new ones), I use the lip balm in the day and the crisco at night. But using it all the time works best. Also, if I try something that irritates my lips I always go back to the crisco and it helps heal without irritation. Hope this helps you because I totally feel what you're going through!
I am experiencing the same thing.  I know what started it - I was in love with the lip plumper by ELF (that has a concealer stick on the other end) and overused it because it made my lips feel great.  Then suddenly one day they started swelling and had the dry cracked skin along the lip line.  I looked like I had been overdosed with lip injections so I went to the doctor who prescribed steroid cream.  The cream cleared up the problem but now I have a reaction with ANY lip product I use (even those that I have used for years).  I don't want to go around with colorless lips!  Can anyone recommend products (lipstick, tint, stain - anything with some color) that haven't caused a reaction?  I have found that coconut oil and aquaphor are fine for moisturizing but don't like the naked lip look.  Any recommendations/advice are greatly appreciated.   Thank you!
GUYS I FOUND THE LIPSTICK THAT I AM NOT ALLERGIC TO
I have been struggling with that issue for over 4 years from the first time I'd used lipstick. I cound not use any lip balm or lipsticks or even moisturizer products ( The body shop, Origins, Mac, Chanel, Eucerin,...) Then I found most of them include beeswax and fragrance. I tried to find non-beeswax, no fragrance and less ingredients lipsticks. Fortunately, LUSH IS MY LAST RESORT ( now I am 23). I am using KEY LIME PIE lip balm, PERSPECTIVE lipstick and POWERFUL lipstick. No allergy anymore.
I want to share to all of you who are suffering to give it a try. Hope it can help u too