Allergy Community
Allergic to Lip Products?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Allergic to Lip Products?

I am 18 years old, and I have never been allergic to anything in my life. As part of my nightly routine, I've always put on lip balm before bed. However, late last year, my lips started to get more dry and chapped than usual, even itchy. They felt like sand paper and often developed tiny bumps. If rubbed hard enough, the bumps would produce a clear liquid. The edges of my lips also sometimes felt very raw and red. These symptoms would last around a week.
At the time, I had been using just plain Burt's Bees Lip Balm for many weeks. When I got the symptoms, I used a bit more of the balm than I usually did, thinking it would help the dryness. When nothing seemed to be working, I stopped using it altogether. In time, my lips healed, and I switched to Softlips lipbalm in both vanilla and peppermint flavors. I showed no reaction from their usage for about a month. Then, I started getting the same reaction that I got from the Burt's Bees Lip Balm. That was when I figured I was developing an allergy to lip balm. Over time, I also realized I was getting the same reaction even faster from lipstick and lipgloss. That meant I was allergic to all lip products across the board.
I began researching into the symptoms and the ingredients in lip products, especially ones that commonly produced allergic reactions. With that knowledge in mind, I've tried many other balms these past months, including ones by Blistex and Kiss my Face. I'm even allergic to plain Chapstick. At first, I would not show any symptoms at all, but they would eventually show up within a few weeks, sometimes days. I even tried alternating the balms every night, which helped slightly but I would eventually get the reaction again. Nowadays, I only wear lip balm every few nights because I can't stand having chapped lips, but never multiple nights in a row. Even then, there's always a chance of my reacting to it.
I haven't been able to pinpoint the exact ingredient that I'm allergic to, and I'm hesitant to spend any more money to try more products. I haven't changed anything about my diet, makeup, facewash, mouthwash, or toothpaste, so I am very certain that it's the lip products. After my research I've also found that other people have had the same problem.

Has any product been found that works but doesn't trigger a reaction from people with my allergies?

I've heard that Vaseline is possibly the only solution, but because of my research I've been staying away from products with petroleum and petrolatum in them. Should I try it out anyway?
I'm having a similar issue.  Some products have even burned my lips.  My lips are always peeling.  Now, the dry flaking skin is above the upper lip where a man would have a mustache.  I'm starting to really worry, because I've always had to be concerned about dry lips.  Now, it's getting to the point where I'm not able to use much of anything on my lips without some kind of reaction.  I'm starting to think my allergies are just getting worse and worse and this may be because of my Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS).  This is really getting frustrating.

I tried Sun, made by Alba Botanicals, but I can't use it, because it definitely burns my skin.  I try to be careful about reading the ingredients before purchasing to ensure the product doesn't have something in it that I know I'm allergic to.  So, I don't know what it is that I'm allergic to in this particular product.  I know I can't use any commercial brands, and I can't use anything with calendula oil in it, because I'm definitely allergic to calendula oil.  I found that out the hard way.

Yet, if I have skin scratch allergy tests, the tests all show negative, except for a couple of things, like birch and dust mites.  My allergist recognizes, though, that this doesn't mean that someone doesn't have a reaction to a certain item.  I will throw up now if I eat lettuce or spinach.  Yet, the allergy tests show negative for an allergy.  Obviously, though, I'm still having a bad reaction to the produce.  I discovered in researching cross reactions that lettuce and spinach are in the same botanical family as sunflowers, marigolds and calendulas.  This means dandelions, too.  This is a really broad botanical group.

I haven't had a whole lot of success trying vaseline or petroleum jelly for my lips either.  I'm kind of turned off by the idea of petroleum products myself, so I know what you mean.  I tried it anyway and I was still having problems with my lips.  Not as much as with some things, but they still peeled and still turned a darker red from being irritated.  

I'm really at a loss myself, because of having similar issues.  I don't know what's wrong.  I'm really frustrated, because I peel like a lizard everyday, so I don't have the normal amount of skin on my lips any more either.  It's more than a little uncomfortable.

I sure hope someone else knows what the answer is to what is going on for both of us.
Hi you guys!
I came across this post and I thought I would share what I was able to find.  I have the same problem too!

If you look at most of the ingredients in your lip glosses/chapsticks/or any other lip product that you are allergic to, you can almost pinpoint what is causing your bad reactions.  It's different for everyone, so I can't provide an answer for you guys, but I can tell you that I am allergic to Chapstick, Carmex, MAC lipglasses/glosses soft lips, and other random free chapsticks that I had gotten as gifts, ie rosebud's.  I found out that I am allergic to petroleum, and anything that has to do with SPF.   I would try and see if that is the case, and avoid Vaseline, because petroleum jelly is Vaseline.  and for me at least, I can use Vaseline anywhere else, except on my lips.  On wiki there is a list of other things you can use, like coconut oil/butter to soothe chapped lips, or even honey.  
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapped_lips
I would also try and cut back on the usage of chapstick just because, just from my own personal experience, when I use my chapstick too often i end up with more of a chapped lip if i forget my chapstick at home or i just don't have it with me.  As for an allergic reaction to burt's bees, some people have very sensitive skin/lips and are irritated (not allergic) to the peppermint in the chapstick.  I would also try and exfoliate the lips every so often with a sugar and olive oil mixture, as seen on youtube, or just with your toothbrush (VERY gently scrubbing) to keep your lips soft and smooth :] .  

I hope this helps!
I've been using shea butter lately.  And, I've been using coconut oil from time to time--same stuff you buy at the health store that you cook with.  

I think part of my problem might be a vitamin B deficiency.  One of the doctors here told me that vitamin B2 and B12 should be supplemented more.  Well, I must need to get a better form of B12 then, because that's the one that it matters which form you use or your body doesn't even take it in and it will go right through you.  These are water soluble vitamins, just so you know.  And, I know it's safe to take high doses of vitamin B2, because that's what my neurologist has me doing as a migraine preventative.  I thought I would mention this, because this could be someone else's source of the problem--on top of being allergic to various lip products.

hey!
i'm 19 and I am not a big lip chap user, but every time I start to use ANY lip product for more than two days my lips go crazy! Like I will get red bumps near them and they become super chapped! So, i switched to regular vaseline (the lip chap and the stuff that comes in the container) but that caused the same effect... so then i switched to olive oil and no success! If you ever do find something PLEASE post it here! The winter makes my lips so dry but I can't use anything because of those disgusting red spots....
Hey, everyone, thanks for all of your input! I will definitely be trying some of your solutions, like the olive and coconut oil and shea butter. I also wanted to let you know that I ended up trying Vaseline anyway, and it's worked for these past few months. I'm still on the hunt for a better solution, but for now, Vaseline is doing its job without any negative side effects.
hey guys i'm fifteen and am having the same problem with my lips. i started using avon's moisture therapy chapstick and so far it hasn't done anything but it does have SPF and Petrolatum in it. i just started using it a few days ago so i'll let you know if i have a reaction but so far so good.
Wow I'm not alone.  Amazing!  I've been battling this crazy thing with my lips for almost a year now.  My first symptoms started up after I got a really bad sunburn and started using a lot of chapstick on them to heal them.  But they never cleared up!  I've gotten to the point where I use a chapstick of sorts constantly.  My lips are always dry!   But then when I think they're starting to get better and I just put on a regular pretty lip gloss they start to freak out.  They get all red especially around the edges, and sometimes they get swollen and oozy.   I also constantly get cracks in the corners of my mouth because my skin gets so dry and irritated!  I'm currently desperately searching for some way to clear this up!  I've gone to a doctor who suggested that I may be getting a yeast infection in the corners of my mouth and after giving me cream, it maybe has helps the cracks a little bit but my lips are still dry.  I'm going back to the doctor next week because I'm starting to believe that I have an allergy to something.  So far I'm trying to eliminate lip balms with lanolin.  I also have shown some irritation to products with petrolatum.  Neosporin daily lip treatment, Palmers lip balm, Aquaphor, and Blistex lip renewal seem to help but don't completely alleviate the symptoms.  Neosporin night treatment, carmex, vasoline, chapstick, burts bees, other blistex have all made the symptoms worse!  With all of those products I have experienced the red swollen, peeling lips.  Please keep posting anything that you've tried that helps!
I am very happy to have found this post because I have the same problem with my lips.  I am 25 yrs old and the same reaction started to occur when I was a senior in high school.  Any type of lip products that I used would cause the same problem: my lips would become really itchy and chapped and then the itchy red bumps would occur.  My doctor referred me to a dermatologist.  He asked me when I used lip products did I find that my lips would still continue to be chapped and I explained the symptoms to him.  He said that I had a skin condition that pretty much doesn't allow me to wear any lip products. He prescribed me this medicine that I had to have made at a compound pharmacy, for a half of tube of this medicine, it cost me like $50...for a full tube $90!  I am sorry to report that I can not remember the name of the medicine but I am sure if you find a decent dermatologist who knows what they are talking about, they will be able to prescribe you the same medicine.  My parents couldn't afford the medicine anymore so I had to find a different remedy to help with my chapped lips.  I noticed on the medicine tube that one of the ingredients was Crisco.  So as gross as it may sound people, I started using Crisco as my lip product and it actually has been working great.  Well not too great because it doesn't last long but it does help with the chapped lips and offers a temporary shine like I have used lipgloss.  My boyfriend has even resorted to using it so he can kiss me.  He is not allowed to kiss me when he has chapstick on becuase I have had small reactions that way as well.  I recommend getting a small container and putting it in there because carrying around a tub of Crisco is not cute and very heavy in your purse and trying to be discreet about using Crisco on your lips is a whole other challenge but it works!  I also found that when I ate fruit, I would have the same reaction so I have been lip product and fruit free for 7 years now.  Well, not exactly fruit free, I will enjoy a glass of orange juice once in a while with no reaction haha.  So be brave and try the Crisco.  Also
when I was using the expensive medicine that was prescribed to me, I googled it and found it was used for some form of ezcema (eczema).  I hope this has helped!  Good luck!
The internet is a wonderful thing. Had no idea so many people had a similar problem. I have been an avid Chapstick wearer for as long as I can remember. Over a month ago, I suddenly developed what I thought was a cold sore on my lips even though at 36 years old, I never had one before. I used Carmex and it didn't get much better- but after a week went away. Then I got another red patch on my lips for a week- and another. I was trying several Chaptsticks, Carmex, Breva, and vaseline finally when nothing seemed to work or make it feel better. Then I wondered if maybe the problem was an allergic reaction rather than a cold sore. I didn't think it was possible to all of a sudden become allergic to something you were always using. By coincidence, I was putting Aquaphor Healing Ointment on my daughter's rash that the pediatrician recommended and I noticed it said for chapped lips too. I tried it. It has been working great for me. It stays on for hours, it doesn't taste like anything, it feels good, and you need just a small drop. My rash went away. This morning, I forgot my Aquaphor at home and grabbed a Chapstick I had in the car. Hours later a rash appeared again. I guess I am allergic to something in Chapstick. I definitely recommend trying Aquaphor.
I've had this problem too..even to plain ol Chaptick. I think it is the SPF used and lanolin- of all things. The only lipbalm I'm sure does not cause an allergic reaction so far is Badger Balm lipbalms. Try them. :)
Oh...and plain Vaseline Lip Therapy- *without* spf.. I've tried tons of balms, and basically have narrowed it down to avoiding lanolin and spf.
If petroleum is a problem, try Badger Balm products without spf. Natural and no lanolin- which was one of my problem ingredients.
Hello. My toddler has a chapped lip too, just the upper middle part. It's been chapped for 1 mo. Dr. said it is NOT herpes, just chapped. Carmex turned her into lip balm addict. She pick constantly just to get more. Then I read about the camphor in it and pharmastist said NOT to use it for chapped lips b/c it's really desgined to dry out cancer soars, which she doesn't have.  Pharmastist and Dr. both rec. vaseline -- white pet. jelly.  

I read how Petrolatum might be loosely linked to breast cancer and was concerned that it's not rec. my "Dr. Oz" on TV.  I switched to Neosporin Adv. Lip therapy at night, vaseline during the day, and Yes to Carrots carrot flavor lip balm as a treat for her.   Her condition is a bit better, but still not good. I went to a dermatologist and asked for more advice. She said to stop the neosporin advanced therapy because neosporin is a common allergon and just use straight vaseline. I inquired about all the things people are saying about petrolatum, and she claims it's still industry standard to use it. She says they will even perscribe it for all cover head to toe care on babies who have bad ezcema (eczema).  

So, I noticed that some vaseline knock offs contain fragrances.  I bought plain 100% fragrance free vaseline and some little travel container pots to put some in for on the go.  I will see how this works.

BTW, I tried Badger balm cocoa butter balm and hated it!  I do like Yes to Carrots and ESO lip balms. They are 95% natural. I also like Burts Bee SPF8 passionfruit.  These products don't iritate me.  Since my little girl doesn't have a full vocabulary yet, I don't know if they are iritating her. She likes them and would eat them. For this reason, I am sticking with her Dr's, pharmasists and dermatologist's advice and giving her vaseline and then Burts Bee SPF 8 when in sun.

I will post back in a month if it works.
I am glad to find that I am not alone in this insane lip situation! It drives me crazy! It happened to me this time last year (I have always been an avid user of regular chapstick) and last year I suddenly starting having swollen and painful lips (more on both ends/sides and some on the edges...not so much the middle of the lips at all). They were very red and gross looking and I felt like a clown...I hated it! After about a week of it I started using/trying everything I could find over the counter at CVS and other pharmacies with no luck. I was spending tons of money and even trying anti-allergy things when I started to wonder if it was an allergic reaction vs. just dry/angry lips. :-) After about a month with it healing only slightly from time to time (and then immediately come back in full force) I found the CVS brand equivalent of Blistex (of which all of their products I had tried) - just called Medicated Lip Ointment and shaped exactly like Blistex in a red box. It worked wonders! Of all the things to trip across a 2 dollar bottle of relief! I was so excited. Anyways the reason I am posting it now a year later is that this same thing just happened to me two nights ago....and my lips are on fire/itchy and red again (identical symptoms to last year's debacle) and I can say with almost 100% certainty that it was from verying from that CVS stuff that I have been so loyal to. While at CVS picking up another tube I saw this new Blistex with mint (and spf which likely contributes as well for some reason) and for some reason I felt like trying it. Well I broke it out in the car and used it - felt great nice and minty and refreshing on my lips....used it a bit more at home later...and that night red/swollen lips again! Full force like before....ugh! Well I am kicking myself for experimenting with another brand/lip balm right now but I can't say I am clueless this time, I even had a thought about using that yesterday like, "Watch I'll probably have those crazy lips again" I don't know why I even tried it!! But It's back to only the CVS brand for me! Just wanted to post this to let others know they are definitely not alone for sure and to offer up the suggestion of that CVS brand - it worked wonders for me for some unknown reason and I have no questioned it - the ingredients are almost identical for this and the Blistex brand but for some reason that didn't work at all for me. Anyways, good luck to everyone out there with this annoying allergy!  
I am so glad I found this post. I have been battling with this problem for 10 years now. I can not use any kind of lip balm and lipstck or gloss. I have however been able to use lipgloss from clinique for fashion emergencies. The most annoying thing about this is going out to some fancy ball or dinner and not get to color your lips a little :(
So Clinique is ok as long as I dont reapply more than once or twice and make sure to clean my lips very well after the evening and applying cream after.
The cream I mostly use to prevent dry lips is Locobase but it does contain petrolatum and since this is the only cream I can use I am ok with that.

However, I recently started to try to use eye cream directly on my lips before I go to bed and so far it is working wonders for me. My lips have never been so soft and moist :)  So I think trying the eye cream is worth a try. I am currently using an eye cream from Clinique.

Good luck to you all, lets hope we find a cure for this problem so we can all look fabulous with what ever lip product we choose ;)
Hi, welcome to the forum, some people are allergic to many things in daily routine due to body hypersensitivity.

As you are having rash, swelling, pimples due to use of lip balm avoid the use of lip balm as soon a possible to avoid further complication. If you are using it for moisturizing you have a good alternative which is safe to use. In such condition maintenance of adequate hydration of the skin is quite important. Which includes thick creams (eg, Eucerin, Cetaphil, Nutraderm), which have a low water content, or ointments (eg, petroleum jelly, Aquaphor, Petrolatum), which have zero water content, are better.

You need to consult skin specialist for some allergen test before applying lip balm. Take care and regards.
I had the same issue with my lips last year...first tingling, then redness, swelling, small bumps, pain/sensitivity and oozing liquid. My lips would become dry and flaky as they healed...duration of about a week...several cycles throughout winter season. I had no idea what was causing it..at first I thought it was normal chapped lips as the symptoms were not so severe...but after the second and third cycles I suspected it was something more...as my lips were quite swollen (clown like in fact), painful and oozing. I was trying all sorts of chapsticks and lip treatments...including burt's bees peppermint...Eventually, I cut everything and started using aquaphor on a doctor's recommendation. The aquaphor helped with the chapping, but I still had the red rash and bumps...test results came back...I had acquired a staph infection (most likely through the cracks in my lips). I took medication and all cleared up within a week. I started using regular store brand cherry chapstick about a week later. No symptoms from March until now. My cherry chapstick ran out and I bought Burt's Bees peppermint again (which has been a favorite of mine for years). My lips had not really been chapped since last year's issues, but I generally wear chapstick on a daily basis. Well, hours after applying the peppermint chapstick my lips started to tingle (and not in a pepperminty way) in a "oh no, not again way". The next day they were swollen, and dry...no oozing yet. I have stopped using the peppermint chapstick...I probably was allergic to it all along...I will have to be careful with other chapsticks though...as it seems that many people have multiple chemical sensitivities.

Word to the wise...if you notice a strange reaction (extra chapped lips...tingling...redness, swelling, and especially oozing...do not be careless like I was...those symptoms are not normal chapping and most likely are related to an allergy). Stop using all lip products before your lips crack and become infected like mine! Do not try out different products all at once...you will irritate your lips further. The price of lip balm can add up, and so do doctor's bills! It takes about a week for the allergic reaction to stop (in my case at least), so I will wait at least that long before trying a different product...once you've experienced this awful malady you never want to go back!  

Happy holidays everyone!
Try NIVEA Med Protection, it helps really fast. Your super dry & chapped lips will get back to normal in less than a week :)
Good luck & Happy New Year to all of you :)
WOW!! i thght i had some new disease...aliens testing on me :p..
Jokes apart,  I had never been allergic to lip glosses/lip stick/lip balms my whole life.. bt few days back, my lips chapped severely to the point they were so raw and i felt like a freak going out..everyone would stare at my lips, cause they were chapped so badly, there was a mountain of dead skin, which no matter what i did, did not clear, no scrubbing, cleaning wid clean brush, exfoliating..nuthin worked, it would seem to work at dat point but sleep at nite nd bam they were back the next morning..I wud get up wid another mountain of dead skin..it used to burn like hell...wud be like dat for a few days and then heal automatically and then a few days later the same story repeats..it always starts wid tiny almost invisible bumos on my upper and lower corner of the lips nd gradually spread accrss before healing itself...
After a  few times , i started using glycerin at nite.. I wud apply it all over and wait for an hour or so and just b4 going to sleep wud apply vaseline...dat seems to work. However if i apply lip gloss or  lip balm(while going out ofcourse) it wud b alrite for a while but the next morning my lips would start to get dry and the tiny bumps pay their visit again :p.. this even after i remove any traces of the lip gloss/balm before going to bed..also I have noticed that if i skip my glycerin and vaseline routine for a day or two my lips start getting dry and start burning..I am not sure wat dis is or how long wud I have to suffer like dis, it is so embarrasing and depressing..I cannot even kiss my BF as i am not sure if dis is infectious :'(
please let me knw if anyone finds out any cure...doctors and scientists...are u listening???..
I have suffered the same symptoms myself red itchy rash, very dry, bumps.  At first I thought it could be poison ivy or something I picked up from a shopping cart. I have used all kinds of lip balm, mostly Neutrogena.  In order to get relief  I tried everything including Abreva.  Then I put on some Neosporin antibiotic cream (the kind you use for cuts) and then on top of that Iuse  Neosporin Lip Health.  This comes in a day time tube with SPF 20 and a nightime tub that has no SPF.  I just slather it on.  The next day my lips felt so much better.  You should try it, it's fantastic.  My lips are almost back to normal.  
Wow, I've been battling this lip problem for six years now. It started at the end of my senior year in high school (when I was very stressed). It got really bad and my lips looked like I'd burnt them, they were blistered and terrible looking. The pharmacist suggested softlips and I've been using it since. However about every three months I'd get another reaction.

I attributed these reactions to stress. It just seemed in place with what was going on in my life. I'd let them dry out completely and try a little off brand neosporin and it would usually go away in about two weeks and I'd be able to start up with Softlips again.

This time I'm now going on a month and a half of suffering. I've tried every lip product. I've even tried EVOO. I'm working between neosporin's lip treatment and a travel size of Cortizone 10 Easy Relief. Yes, the very stuff you put on bug bites. This calms the bumps and itching--try this if you are suffering. I woke up one morning looking like Angelina Jolie after trying regular neosporin on my lips. I used the cortizone and within a few hours it settled down.

The problem I'm running into with the neosporin is that it's almost providing TOO MUCH moisture treatment. My lips always feel full and swollen and sticky. I never get the point where I don't have to use the cortizone again. The vaseline never really helps either...and DON'T try the toothbrush technique. People that suggest that are only trying to help the dry problem NOT the allergy portion--this will make things worse. The best thing to do if you start having a reaction is to take a warm washcloth and wipe it off. Even wiping that dead skin off that way might help too. But don't use a tooth brush.

With everyone out there with this problem, why isn't there a solution? Am I to use bug bite ointment for the rest of my life? PLEASE, I'd love an answer out of a professional that isn't generalize and a standard, "go see your doctor." There are plenty of us who have and aren't finding a good solution.
I would suggest avoiding products with parabens, petroleum, and mineral oil. These are all irritants and many people are allergic to them. Unfortunately, they are found in most beauty products (soap, shampoo, make-up, lotion),so you will have to read the ingredients carefully. Usually products for sensitive skin don't have them try Aveeno (Skin Relief line), and also some natural products like Burts Bees. I hope this helps!
My dermatologist says stay away from lanolin and lanolin alcohol. If ur allergic to wool ur more than likely allergic to those as well.
Hey I can't believe that so many people are having this same problem.
Like someone else I developed the dry and itchy symptoms in my last year of high school which was back in 2005. It got to the point where I would itch it so much that my lips got darker and looked really ugly and I didn't like going out. Over the years I found that I was allergic to more and more products, even products that I used to use without problems.

I went to see a doctor about it and they didn't find anything but what she told me what that whatever it was, was making my lips dry (or at least I was getting the feeling that they were dry--they didn't actually look fry). And because of that I would lick my lips more often and that on top of the itchy feeling was bruising my lips. If you don't do anything and continue to itch then the lips would just get darker and the area affected seemed to spread to just above and below my lips. Also some kind of fluid would come out...its weird. The solution is Cortizone (as mention above) which would stop you from itching and Aquaphor to repair the damage and make your lips healthy again. I put them both on at the same time and as needed (always have it in my purse). The Aquaphor is good enough so that can be your new lip balm but I don't use it like that. I am still able to use some glosses.

As for what I can use...I haven't found anything in sephora that works. I've brought the cheap and expensive stuff and nothing is helpful. I recently started using Smooth Minerals and havent had any problems at all. I'm not quite sure about Nivea Milk and Honey (in the trial stages!). Not all chapsticks can be used either. For some reason I have old makeup that doesn't do a thing to me and I'm going to do more research into what it could be.

Hopes this helps someone.
I'm allergic to, what it seems like, EVERYTHING.  The only thing that's been consistently working for me is pure cocoa butter.  They now sell it in stick form at CVS for $1.  It doesn't last as long as most chapsticks/balms, but it does the job.  I also have some medication my dermatologist prescribed but she warned me that I shouldn't use it often.  She said it thins out the skin and can cause stretch marks.  I only use it when I have a very bad reaction.

Badger worked for a while, then I got a reaction.  I'm starting to suspect that the starts to go rancid and it only works in the beginning because it's fresh. That's my assumption though.  

I had the same problem with using chapstick. I went to the doctor & they told me to start using only vaseline & gave me some prescription to put on my lips. It healed. Now, over 6 months later, while ONLY EVER USING VASELINE. It's back.
what do i do now???
I had the exact symptoms that you describe. Have no fear, I finally found lip gloss lipstick from Josie Maran that causes no reaction for me, try it! Buy it at Sephora and return if it does. It brought back life and color to my lips
So I have been using eye cream on my lips now for almost a year and my lips have never been so soft and healthy. I know it is a bit of an expensive lip balm but it works wonders! I can even use lipstick now which I was unable to do for over 10 years with out burning my lips to crisp.

I suggest you all try it and I hope it works as well for you as it did for me :)
I've had the same problems too! I'd been using pretty much anything and everything from when I was in my early teens until I was a senior in high school. My everyday balm was Burt's Bees though and I had been using that for about 2-3 years. In addition to that I used Chapstik, Nars, Clinique, SoftLips, Revlon...pretty much every brand. Then all of a sudden, my lips started swelling and got plumper and redder each day for about a week. Then the week after, these horrible red teeny little liquid-filled bumps started appearing and then after that, the peeling, itching, burning, and just horrible things started happening and I didn't even want to go to school because they looked so bad. I went from being able to use any and every lip product I pleased to being able to use none at all.

To this day I still have no idea what I'm allergic to specifically but I do know that it's in practically any lip product out there. I tried all sorts of lipsticks/glosses/stains in Sephora because I love lipstick, but they all make the bumps, itchiness, and pure embarrassment come back! The only ones that work for me with absolutely NO allergic reactions/side effects is Vaseline 100% Petroleum--I've been using that every night as a moisturizer; And I can use Almay lipsticks and lip glosses (it's a hypoallergenic brand); I also have an Aveeno Essentials Moisture Lip Conditioner with SPF 15 (also hypoallergenic) to use during the day when I go out and I've been using that one for about 3 years with no negative results, just good soft lips! (I think the Aveeno might be discontinued though, so I'd try looking online for it).

I've recently picked up Paula Dorf lipsticks and sheer tints, which work during the day, but if not thoroughly cleansed off your lips, I would get a few bumps when I wake up in the morning. It's happened only once or twice and I took allergy medication when I woke up and just used my regular Aveeno and the symptoms went away in a few hours so I continue to use her lipstick. For me, the trick is looking for lip products that say they are "hypoallergenic." The Paula Dorf products claim to be 100% hypoallergenic but if I reapply too much throughout the day, there will be some really slight reactions and tingling on my lips, so just be careful!

After some extensive research for the past 12 years, I found that Vincent Longo also makes some hypoallergenic lipstick that's actually very smooth and hydrating, though the colors tend to be a little to vibrant and bold for my taste (and it's expensive, $23 a stick!). Like many of you ladies, I love having some color to my lips when I go out for some fun or just on a grocery run. So stick to the hypoallergenics, like I have, and you should be safe. Hope this helps! Good luck to all :)
what is the name of the eye cream they have many thank you
Wow!! I can't believe so many people have the same problem with their lips!! I have been having problems with very dry lips 2 yrs now. I went to the dermatologist and she said i have to stop licking my lips because saliva is very acidic!!!! First thing she asked me was, what i am using, at that time i was using blistex, chap stick, burt bees & soft lips. Right away she told me to throw all away and use 100% pure petroleum jelly and only use hypoallergenic lipsticks &lipgloss!! :( no more MAC!!:((( she said Almay is hypoallergenic. And also i must only use fluoride toothpaste. Colgate in Red box is fluoride. and she also gave me prescription for Bactroban and Advantan ointment. Bactroban is an antibiotics creams. My lip got better for a few months,but then i saw vaseline in the tube and i bought about 6. I started using it and a few months after my lip started to get really dry again. and i was using my mc lipgloss and lipstick. I went back to dermatologist and i'm back on same treatments. I toss all my vaseline in the tube because it has flavor in the ingredients!! using 100% pure petroleum jelly in the jar and my lips is looking better in only 6 hrs!!!  Next step is to toss all my mac lipsticks & lipgloss!!! oh and another thing is when i eat salty food or spicy food my lip would get really red and swollen and around my lips use to peel...looks gross!!! flakey!!! If anyone know of other hypoallergenic makeup please let me know. So fluoride toothpaste & 100% pure petroleum jelly!!! I can't even use mint dental floss;( burns my lip
I hope this help u guys!!!
I am struggling with the same problem for over 10 years now (started with chap stick). When the bumps, itching and pain appears use Canesten HC cream (prescription only in Ireland). It will give you an instant relief. On a daily basis I use ROC Enydrial lip balm (not sure if available in USA) but it works for me. Good luck!
is anyone allerigic to blitex?
I have been dealing with similar issues. I have sensitive skin which leans toward the dry side, rather than oily. It started a year ago with little bumps on my lips.  Foolishly, I scrubbed them which caused them to ooze and my lips to swell. I used carmex and they seemed to be normal within 24-48 hours. For about 6 months I used Carmex on a daily basis and sometimes Anbesol because someone told me I had cold sores. I thought it to be odd that I would have cold sores almost every day and that they never really blistered up..only appeared on or around my lips in tiny little bumps which appeared to be fluid-filled..but never turned into open blisters. I saw 1 dr who said they didn't appear to be cold sores, but gave me Acyclovir, just in case..which did nothing.

Next, I went to a Dermatologist. She said it was definitely not cold sores, but appeared to be a form of acne and prescribed Atralin gel. Also, she told me I have dermatographism (a form of skin writing which does make my skin very sensitive). After 2 months of not much help, I had my physical with my family doc who agreed that it was acne and added Ehtromycin gel along with the Atralin. He also told me to stay away from lip products. I went another month or so of that treatment, which seemed to only slightly prevent bumps but definitely made my skin super dry and peeling..no matter how much cream i used afterwards. Also, my lips always felt on fire. I tried  a month with no lip products (except for olive oil or vitamin e oil if I couldn't take the burning any longer).

I decided to go to an allergist. He said i was allergic to dust mites, and had mild reactions to nickel, cobalt, some latex products and hydro-cortizone creams. He did a patch test with my shampoo, toothpaste, foundation, lip gloss and chapsticks, but I didn't appear to have a reaction (on my back anyway). He suggested a 2nd opinion from another dermatologist because he didn't think it was acne like the first one said.

The 2nd dermatologist stated she thought it was peri-oral dermatitis. I was on a month of anti-inflammatories as well as putting metro-gel around my mouth.  During my follow-up visit a month later, I explained that the itchiness diminished slightly, but that the bumps still appeared and that every now and then, after eating something spicy or too salty (or after a sweet wine), i would get bigger bumps on my lips...as well as a stinging feeling on skin between upper lip and nose that would sting for about 15 min and result in a red bump which looked like a pimple.  About an hour or so later, the bump would disappear. I brought pics to show her. she finally said she didn't know and told me she didn't have any next steps for me so I didn't need a follow-up visit.  The only thing for certain the docs have been able to say is that they are not cold sores and are not contagious.  Other than that, I am on my own.
I have been using nothing but aquafor for a little over a month.  It isn't bad...but has not made the bumps go away.  

Any advice or help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.  I am blessed it isn't something worse, and for the most part is cosmetic...it is just incredibly annoying.  For the most part, I am the only one who really sees the tiny bumps. I would love not to feel the itchy or sometimes burning sensation on or around my lips, as well as not see tiny little bumps any longer.  Oh...to wear lip gloss again...that would be nice :)
I have the same issue for a couple years and Egyptian Magic is the only product I can use without this reaction. Petroleum free and very soothing. Believe me I've tried it all!! I work at Whole Foods and again, of all the natural products we sell, this is the only thing that had worked!
I have had the same issue for a couple years and Egyptian Magic is the only product I can use without this reaction. Petroleum free and very soothing. Believe me I've tried it all!! I work at Whole Foods and again, of all the natural products we sell, this is the only thing that has worked!
Hi, I've suffered with lip reactions for about 8 years now. The ONLY lipgloss I can use is Mac - Pink Lemonade.  I do occasionally use Nivea Pearly lip shine which seems ok but other than that, my lips swell like I've had collagen!  Recently I went to a qualified dietician who uses an electric probe to test for allergies and vitamin/mineral deficiences - result: allergic to lanolin.  This could be why my lips don't like lipstick/gloss.  My visit to the dietician was invaluable as it showed a couple of other things so if you can get someone near you to do the 'B.E.S.T' test - it's worth it.
I have had this problem since the early 90's. Since I figured out what was causing the red, oozing mess above my lips I have used nothing else but Blistex. The plain old white tube Blistex that is basically a liquid form. If it is any kind of stick I can use it once or twice (enough to wear lipstick out once a week) but then I have to go back to the Blistex. It also must be hereditary because 2 of my 4 children also suffer from it. My problem now is that I am having a harder time finding the Blistex and I came on here to look for other alternatives in case they discontinued the original.
Good luck everyone and I am very surprised at how common of a problem this is! I wish there was more information available to us.
I am allergic to latex and I can't seem to find any Chapstick for my lips that is latex free.  Although some products say "latex free" they are NOT.... They contain several ingredients that are cross reactants with latex, rubber trees.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I have tried the olive oil and sugar mix for two days with no relief at all. My lips are burning and cracked along the edges.
We i have a remedy for all your problems, we are smarthealthshop.com. we run a online health shop, we deal in various kind of medicines,  for your above lip related issue,Idol Lips by Health Buy , CushyLips Lip Plumper , idol lash and much more, we sell all this products at cheaper rate then market.
Im 18 years old  and I have the same reaction! It started about my sophomore or junior yea in high school. I have used Chapstick my whole life until one day my lips started to react to it. I would find these tiny little bumps inside of my lips and if they popped, clear fluid would come out. I was terrified I had a disease or something, but I did research a couple years ago and I remember I found something about the oil glands in my lips was causing this reaction. I then switched to Vaseline. It worked perfectly! It cleared my bumps and swelling just within a few days! The only problem for me is that it doesn't keep my lips moisturized all day so I feel like I'm constantly putting it on all the time. But what I do now for a moisturizer is use "Super Nourishing Lip Balm" by Sephora or "Moisture Therapy" by Avon. They work really good. I can use them for a couple days without a small reaction. But no matter what I use, I get an reaction from, so therfore, I alternate between the Vaseline and the lip moisturizes to keep my lips from reacting and making sure they are moisturized.

I really hope his works for some of yall! =)
I had this same problem and a dermatologist recommended a product named Vanicream lip protectant, its a sensitive skin formula for dry, chapped lips. Basically is what he told me is that it was made at the Mayo Clinic specifically for people who have reactions to most lip products. It works pretty well and absolutely no reactions. I order mine online as I can not find it locally but its worth a try.
Thank you, Thank you one and all.  I'm 64 years old and I thought I was strange.  In the last couple of years I thought I was getting cold sores from using lip balms that my grandchildren had used.  But Tuesday after getting back from Florida my lips became extremely chapped and I used new Blistex and Bert Bee Wax lip balm.  Well, you know the rest.  My lips became swollen like a bad job of Restylane injections with tiny bumps that occasionally seeped.  I've been applying Vasoline, taking Valtrex (thought it was cold sores) and Lysine.  The swelling is going down but I look gross.  Today I go to a spa and I'm afraid I'll gross out the attendant.  I have an appointment with my dermatologist next week thank God.  Now I fear if this will mean that I'll have to stop using lipstick.  Do any of you find that to be a problem?
Well, I was diagnosed with a red dye allergy about 20 years ago.  My symptoms were a dry "cold-sore" type lesion on my lip and surrounding skin, after using Close-up toothpaste, Big red gum, and cherry chapstick.  I've never had a true cold sore.  My last visit to the dermalogist was due to contact dematitis on my hands. She thinks my dye allergy is a actual flavoring allergy.  My research along with my symptoms, I'm wondering if I have a petroleum allergy??? Petroleum is in everything I'm finding out.  I've always had problems with soaps, fragrances, lotions, deoderants.  I'm trying to figure this out before I have to go in for allergy testing with a $3,000 bill.
  I am a nurse and am constantly washing my hands, applying lotions, wearing vinyl gloves.   Any comment?
I'm having the same problems, the first time my lips brok out i didnt know what was going on, they were dry, they turned dar, burned and it just didnt feel right or and little bumps developed on my lips from using this lip gloss with glitter in it.  Now as today my lips have broken out once ive been using vaseline and some cheap chapstick.  This started a couple days ago i notice two bumps on my lip so i appied some vitamine e on them thinking it was going to work, it really didnt.  As of today my lips are terrible they feel dry as ever and their are little tiny bumps over there, and their sore.  I dont know what to do about this, the last time they broke out i purchased some blistex and it worked, so im going to the store to find something. I hear burts bees was a good chaptstick, ima see because this is horrible on my lips and it burns and i hate this drying feeling im having eventhough i have something on my lips
I have nearly the same problem as in the organal post but not that extreme. i have found that nivea milk and honey and burts bees ultra conditioning with kukom butter have worked and its the only products i have been using for some time now. I use nivea the most and everyday. They don't contain petrulom.
Blistex has menthol which is an irritant. Don't use any lip products with menthol or SPF. Hope this helps you!
So glad to see I'm not weird!! I have recently had a reaction but it took me a little while to figure out it was the lip balm.

A couple years ago I had a serious reaction to burts bees original lip balm. Unfortunately, it took two separate reactions to figure out what it was. I had used burts bees for years and then all the sudden became allergic. I put it on before bed and when I woke up, my lips were swollen three times their normal size, bright red, sore and peeling. I didn't know what it was and those "wow I have never had chapped lips this bad". So I kept putting more burts bee's on it.

Just this past week my lips didn't swell but I got the redness and peeling above and below my lips. This time I was using Blistex Medicated Lip Balm. This has worked for me before in the past until just recently. I stopped using that and my mom had this lotion her dermatologist gave her for rashes caused by all types of things. It's called Aquanil HC. I believe you have to get a prescription from the doctor because it has 1% Hydrocortisone in it. But I have only been using it around my lips for the past 2 days and it looks and feel a million times better. No swelling or irritation. The peeling is almost gone and the redness is almost gone. I have been putting vaseline lip therapy "on" my lips. And I am very happy with the results.

After reading the other posts, maybe I am allergic to the SF or the menthol as a few people have suggested. The Blistex Medicated Lip Balm has spf in it, so I am researching now to see if burts bees does too. It seems like the petroleum/vaseline doesn't cause a problem and makes my lips look and feel good.   Maybe some of you should try out the lotion I listed above for fast relief from a current break out. It would be nice to know exactly what it is that's causing the reaction.
I got the same problem. I've been using lots of lip products as daily ritual, incl The Body Shop Cocoa Butter Lip Balm and cute pink glittery lip gloss, alternating between Bourjois lipstick and my mom's old YSL,  also The Body Shop lip pencil since high school (I'm now 19), having no problem with them until recently. My lips went precisely like all descriptions above: flaking and darkening near the border (and progress to the center), itchy, burning, oozing when pressured, and highly sensitive to practically everything. Firstly I thought the YSL was expired, so I threw it away and got a new one since I like the color so much. The symptoms persist, so I thought it was the lip pencil (since the flaking started from the edge).

To be safe I ceased using everything for a while, to no avail. I went to at least 2 dermatologists and they prescribed hydrocortisone ointment of different brands, which are good to suppress the inflamation (inflammation) but do nothing to my abruptly building allergy to lip products. It's ridiculous to suddenly have allergy when I'd been okay for years. The dermatologists recommended ROC, hypoallergenic product intended to soothe lips. It worked to a certain extent, mostly to hydrate my extremely dry lips. I dared myself to use lip color again with ROC as the base, trying the products one by one to figure out which one's the culprit. As we predict, the symptoms break out again. The cycle continues over and over. Worse, after a while ROC doesn't feel that comfortable anymore. There was a phase I used only ROC in the morning and night, waking up with Angelina Jolie's lips, only not sexy at all.

I ended up throwing away all the Body Shop, Bourjois, YSL products  and opted not to use anything. After about 2 weeks the symptoms subside. After that, I heard about Clinique's hypoallergenic lipstick. I went to fetch a butter lip color and at the first try, it works wonderfully and I thought I found color again in my life. Oh, I also used their face and lip scrub to peel off that pile of nasty dead skins.

After a few days--like, not even a week--BAM! the symptoms break out again! i'm beyond frustrated. I pause using them and stick to ROC, but my lips still swell in the morning and itchy-flaky for the rest of the day. Up until now, it's still happening. ROC and Clinique aren't exactly cheap, so are The Body Shop and YSL and Bourjois, so I'm at a loss here.

I know I can go crazy and abuse those hydrocortisone/steroid ointment to swat away this scumbag immune system of mine, but that of course is not a wise solution. FYI I'm also prone to eye infection so I cannot use eye cosmetics. I also have rosacea so my skin is very sensitive to all kinds of cosmetics. All in all, I'm doomed to no make-up policy for the rest of my life. Wondering what's the solution to this? I certainly can't imagine myself not wearing any cosmetics/lip product for the rest of my life.
i had the same thing! it may sound weird but i used Aquiphor's medium sized healing ointment. its a vaseliney type of texture that is usually used or people with new tattoos but it can be applied to the lips as well.

its also in the directions of the product on the back.
Hi, wow I was so surprised to find so many having the same problem as I'm having. I have been useing the Badger balm and carmex, but it isn't getting any better. My lips just burn and peels and cracks. I Think I will try the Aquaphor. I'm getting desperate. I have tried honey, it dose make my lips feel better, but very sticky. My friend uses cocconut oil , she swears by it. MLD
I mentioned it in an earlier post, sorry for not repeating. The eye cream was all about eyes from Clinique.
I really do recommend it. For over 10 years my lips suffered from much dryness, small itchy bumps and oozing liquid. Today I use my eye cream about 3-4 times a week and my lips NEVER get dry any more. I dont know if the allergy is still there or not, I just dont want to test it to find out. As long as I have Clinique eye cream and lipsticks I will be happy :)
Good afternoon~

Thank you for taking the time to post your experiences. It is only through this that we can learn and grow. I wanted to share that after reading a bit, I decided to try using Benadryl cream on my lips...THE BEST THING EVER!!! And, on top of that I use Vittamin A & D ointment (yes what people put on baby bottoms.) The problem goes away. I, too, can not imagine a life without color. This is my next journey.
I have always used Neutrogena and it's always been brilliant for me I'd really recommend it. Recently I ran out and couldn't find any in the shop so I bought Nivea Hydro Care instead. Was fine for a couple of weeks then the corners of my lips started getting red and itchy and are now cracking slightly :( The same thing happened about 10 years ago when I used a different lipsil (I think it was Nivea then too actually) and I thought it was the lipsil but my mum wasn't so sure. Now I'm sure it is! I've compared the ingredients of the 2 lipsils and also with my Nivea face cream and the ingredients that are only in the Nivea lipsil are:

Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride
Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate
Cera Carnauba
Butyrospermum Parkii Butter
Simmondsia Chinensis Oil
Tocopheryl Acetate
Vitis
Vinifera Seed Oil
C20-40 Alkyl Stearate

which means I must be allergic to one of those ingredients, right??

P.S. Neutrogena has SPF and it has never been a problem for me :)
I've had the same problem for years so i stopped using lip glosses or lipsticks. The only chap sticks that work for me are the clear baby lips by maybelinne in the blue and pink packaging or palmer's cocoa butter swivel stick. Recently I tried some ELF lip sticks and glosses and I didn't react, but after 2 weeks I got bumps. So I thought to still have color I'd get the baby lips chap stick in peach, but I got bumps from that too. So I'm sticking with the plain baby lips for when I'm out and I use the big Palmer's cocoa butter swivel stick at home constantly with no reaction. Hope this helps.
I first experienced this same problem about 5 years ago, on a camping trip where I had been using "Softlips" with SPF in it. I stopped using it, and went back to my usual "regular lypsyl" tube. But the reaction didn't go away: my lips got really tight-feeling, with a burning sensation. Then I developed little red bumps all over my lips, and eventually little blisters that leaked a clear, watery substance. Because my lips were so tight and sore, everything was difficult...opening my mouth to eat, brushing my teeth, even smiling hurt! Not to mention the embarrassment about how my lips looked. It got so bad that I called in sick to work a few days because talking was difficult and my lips looked AWFUL. I went to a walk-in clinic and the doc suggested a topical cream (over-the-counter) called "cortate". So i went to the pharmacy and bought some. Over time, it worked to relieve my symptoms. It left my lips extremely shiney and greasy, but that was a small price to pay to get relief from the awful pain/bumps/blisters/tightness/ETC...

Over the next 4 months or so, I desperately searched for a lip chap that would not affect me in that way. My lips have always been dry (I used to pick them all the time when I was younger), so I really needed to find something that would help my chapped lips, yet was safe to use. About every 5 days I would go into a store, buy a new lip chap, start using it, and of course the tightness and bumps would come back. I'd apply the cortate cream, the symptoms would get better, and I'd go buy another brand of lip chap and try all over again. This frustrating search continued for months...until FINALLY, i found a lip chap which didn't cause me any symptoms!! BLISTEX "Gentle Sense" Hypoallergenic lip moisturizer! And for the next FIVE YEARS I was a loyal Blistex customer, always buying a new tube of the Gentle Sense Blistex any time I was close to running out of my current tube. I ALWAYS had a tube (and a back-up tube!) in my purse/pocket, and I applied it religiously (about every half hour or so).

One day, when I went into the usualy store to buy my Gentle Sense, they didn't have any in the usual spot for it. Thinking they were just out of stock, I drove a few miles to a different store, and found the same empty spot. I asked a staff member, who informed me "I think that was discontinued or something, we won't be getting it anymore." Terrified (because I was almost out of my last tube), I travelled to about ten different stores in search of my special Blistex, and had no luck. A couple days later while walking through the dollar store, I saw an end rack that was FULL of my blistex! I grabbed all 25 of them and put them in a safe spot at home.

And then, about 3 weeks ago, my worst nightmare came true: I was almost finished the very last tube in my stockpile. I spent hours on the internet trying to find out if this Blistex Gentle Sense was still available anywhere. The Blistex website doesn't even show it anymore. I e-mailed their site countless times, with a short version of my story, begging them for information about whether or not they will come out with another hypoallergenic lip chap like the Gentle Sense one. And got NO REPLIES. Defeated, I bought a $5 tube of Burt's Bees Beeswax lip balm and started using that. I checked the mirror religiously for those first few days, and to my delight, saw no symptoms. I was thrilled! But about a week after I first began applying it, those dreaded symptoms from 5 years ago reappeared. I bought some cortate cream again, which helped a bit, but now I find myself in that awful situation all over again. I am SO DESPERATE to find out 1)what i'm allergic to, and 2)is there ANY relief out there!?!?!?! I need to put something on my lips to keep them from chapping!! HELP!!!!!!
Im 17 and i LOVE ChapStick. The brand. I always have one on me and as soon as I run out I get another. So over the years I've ended up with a collection of empty tubes. Anyway it got destroyed so i brought tons more. about $40 dollars worth over the internet, only realize that i've recently developed an allergy to it -_-. A few months ago i went on a trip with my friends. I use my ChapStick every day, so i didn't consider it to be the problem when my lips started breaking out. they had bumps and were dry. but i still kept putting the ChapStick on in an effort to stop the dryness. when i got home i switched to ChapIce so that the medicine in it would help. it didn't. i didn't know what was going on. i thought it could because the weather was too hot, because i was spending so much time in the sun, or even possibly because i had shared my lipgloss with my friend prior to this incident. i hated the way it looked and was googling everything i could think of. it still never occurred to my that i could be allergic. i settled with eczema. i stopped using the lip stuff and used eczema lotion (baby aveno). it cleared up in the next few days. so i thought "okay its just eczema due to the extreme heat" any way more weeks and more chapstick. it came back, but not as badly so i switched to the lotion again. it started happening more and more frequently and sometimes i would wake up with swollen lips, but no bumps. my mom told me it could be a chapstick allergy but i refused to believe it. anyway i bought this $40 collection and have been loving it. until i woke up with nightmare lips. i finally accepted the fact that I'm allergic to it. so I'm testing to see which ones that I'm specifically allergic to. today i used Flava Craze Blue Crazeberry. bad reaction. I'm going to try to build up a tolerance to ChapStick so that i can continue to use it. but this may take years. so for the in between i will try this Crisco thing that i read in the comments. I'm so glad that I'm not the only one with this problem. i hate that any of us have to deal with it at all. Oh! and i heard that the Naturals ChapStick hasn't led to any bad reactions. its supposed to be ALL natural and stuff. ironically i don't have that kind. and i have like 25+ chapsticks
Morning :)
I am in the exact same spot as you regarding symptoms.  I have been in 'remission' for about 10 months after beginning to use EOS Sweet Mint lip balm but now out of the blue my awful symptoms are back and I am beyond frustrated and depressed that that I have to deal with these painful lips again.....Please keep in touch if you do find a product that helps and I'll do the same!
I was laying out in the sun today when I remembered that I had recently bought a tin of lipbalm with SPF from Vaseline. I'm going on my holiday in September and I wanted to try it out beforehand. So I put some on and when I was laying in the sun for a while it started getting really hot on my lips so I had to take it off. And now after a few hours I got this bump developing on my upper lip, looking like a blister. It doesn't really hurt but you can tell there is liquid developing inside of it. I guess this stuff just burned my lips in combination with the sun on it but it's frustrating not knowing a 100% sure what it is..
It's crazy that so many other people are experiencing this. I'm twenty years old and I've been using lip balms like crazy since I was just a kid. Last year I experienced the weird bumps and super dry lips. I thought maybe something was wrong with my eos lip balm. The symptoms went away and I didn't experience anything like that until a few days ago. I use a lot of Burts Bees and eos every once and a while. I threw away the lips balms and bought medicated Blistex. It seems to be working. There are still some bumps but it's much, much better. I think I'm going to try to ween myself off of balms once this is over!
So glad I found these comments.  A few months ago my lips swelled and chapped after a dentist appointment. They never really got better, when I had to go back to the dentist for a follow-up. I attributed the problem to an allergic reaction to the latex gloves. But then, when my lips were still not getting better, I thought perhaps it was a seafood allergy - but still no relief after giving up seafood. For years, I had regularly used "Whole Foods Organic Honey Lip Balm" (also not wanting to use a product with petrolatum). Since my lips itched and burned so badly, I tried using shea butter instead of lip balm to soothe my lips. That seemed to clear things up. Still not associating my lip issue with the lip balm, I went on vacation and started using the lip balm again. My lips swelled, cracked, itched and looked terrible - almost like a botched Botex job!  I tried Blistex and it quickly worked wonders. I threw away all my lip balm when I came home, but came online to search if anyone else had issues like mine. In place of lip balm, I'll use shea butter - hopefully no reactions to that.  Still not sure what in the organic & natural lip balm I could be allergic to?  
I stumbled upon this site one afternoon, when I too was struggling to find help for my troubled lips. I have had an ongoing lip allergy for so long that I can hardly remember my life without it. I have wasted so much money on lip balms, lipsticks, etc. It really is such a difficult allergy, hard to go through a day without thinking constantly about your sore, chapped, peeling lips!

I am writing today however, because I am thrilled to have found something that has really finally helped.  For the last 2 weeks I have been applying Sweet Bee Magic ointment to my lips and so far, NO ALLERGY!  I purchased this in Henry's/ Sprouts Market here in CA. The product is made by a company called Medicine Mama's Apothecary and you can also order off their website.  They offer the same product in a wand also which I am going to order.  

I also found a lipstick line that looks promising on the website, Vitacost. The company is called, Honey Bee Gardens, and their products seem to be free of most of the known irritants. I am going to see if I can find it locally, before ordering online, possibly Whole Foods Market. I will report back with the results.

I hope this information is helpful to someone, who like me is struggling to find some relief. I am, at this moment, free of lip issues and it's amazing!

Like many have said..wow I am not alone!! I've never spoken with someone with the same issue!! I can't use ANYTHING but Vaseline ( which I'm surprised to hear others have a reaction..and I'm hesitant because I hear it's not good) and a prescription from my dermatologist he says is a mix of hydrocortisone ( for the itch) and vaseline. But when I use any other products I get the itchy red bumps that lead to a clear liquid. My boyfriend cannot use any other "chapstick" besides vaseline if he wants to kiss me . I also become irritated with harsh foods like spicy stuff, strong beer or wine, and items that are acidic. Sooo glad I found this blog!! I'm interested in finding or coming up with a product I can use that has a little color/shine that I'm not allergic to!!
I use Dr. Dan's CortiBalm for my lip allergies. It keeps the itching under control and keeps my lips from drying out.
lcb53
I have had the same problem described above for over ten years. Now all I use to moisturize my lips is Aveeno hand lotion. for color, I use Lip Ink semi-permanent lip stains.they last a long time.
I have had the same problem, and all petroleum products are the worst.  Last visit, my dermatologist gave me a sample of Vaniply ointment, which does the trick. Look it up. I still really want to find something that has color, but at least my lips aren't swollen, red and painful all the time!
How well does using one's toothbrush work?
I recently (last year) found out that I am allergic to beeswax, so I can't use chapstick...or anything in chapstick form (on my lips). Last year, my aunt had found some Blistex Medicated Ointment....and it was liquid in a tube. It works wonderfully, but I can't seem to find that particular kind anywhere. Carmex has something else in it that I'm allergic to...so I definitely could NOT use any carmex brand (even the liquid-tubes). It's really frustrating to find something that works well, but can't find it again. This morning I had find out that my lips had bled while sleeping...I'm desperate to fix this. My upper lip is the only part extremely chapped and bleeding...but it hurts all the same. So again I ask....How well does one's toothbrush work?
Hi, all

I just want to share my experience with sensitive issues. I, too, had a case of severely chapped lips which was aggravated by using Dior red lip stick 20 years ago. After that, if I am not careful, my lips get swollen, red(not in a good way,) itchy and chapped. Burt's bee, Chapstick, and all other drug store lip balms will only make it worse. Finally, I found one product from The Body Work, "the aloe lip treatment." Only a little dab before sleep solves all the problem; it's almost like medicine somehow. A tube last me a whole year, I am on my second tube now and it still working great. If I get reaction from something else, I put it on and it calms my lips down almost right away.
As far as lip stick or gloss use, I found the brand "Anna Sui" has the products I don't have any problem with. Other brands will be like land mines to me. So good luck with everyone here and hope you'll find something that will work for you ,too.
Has anyone tried  Fresh Advanced Therapy?  It's sold at Sephora but its almost $30 a tube and I decided to wait and check with others first.  I have used everything else over the counter in main stream stores, but not some of the special items I've read about here.
Correction!  "Aloe Lip Treatment" from "The Body Shop" not "The Body Work."
Petrolatum (a petroleum product) also goes by the name mineral oil, which is often in many beauty products. I can't use most lotions, neosporin. I have never been pretty light on beauty product my whole life, then about 5 years ago I would wax my eyebrows at salons and wondered what pretty smelling thing they put on my brows after they wax, and asked and they told me it was baby oil (which is 100% mineral oil). In the meantime I just attributed all the redness to the waxing. I also had thought when I was a kid, I was allergic to the latex band aids (which I wondered, but I wear latex gloves all day long and my hands are fine), but it actually turns out I am allergic to the petrolatum in neosporin. It finally realized what was the culprit, when I had a bad allergic reaction to baby oil and to lotion within a month time period, where the redness turned into brown scally bumps. Had to get a steroid shot and take pills to stop the reaction. So lesson learned every product I apply to my skin in some way. I check the ingredients, because reactions get worse over time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_oil

http://www.davidsuzuki.org/what-you-can-do/queen-of-green/faqs/toxics/avoid-petrolatum-in-personal-care-products/
Glad to see I'm not the only one with this frustrating allergy! I am 19 now, but in 8th grade I noticed that the Chapstick brand lip balm I had been using for a couple years started to cause my lips to itch and develop small, sandpaper-like bumps. I tried some Abreva to soothe my scarred, burning lips. After multiple outbreaks, my lips began to darken from having to heal over and over again. Since then, I've avoided using any balm products, and I also cannot use lipstick and anything that has that solid, waxy form. However, glosses, lip stains, and vaseline give me no problems. It is frustrating to be a makeup-lover and not be able to wear lip sticks! After reading everyone's comments, I will try products that are lanolin-free! Thanks everyone.
Wat did you use to help it goes away?
i have this problem as well!  it started when i was 16... i'm 29 now.  it started out as tiny bumps on my lips... i couldn't trace it to a single ingredient or product, even.  my doctor told me it was an allergic reaction, however, and prescribed me an elocon ointment.  when applied, my lips would turn very pale, but it worked!  the bumps would disappear within a few days.  

however, over the years, this reaction has evolved and now doesn't appear as tiny bumps but instead my lips become extremely chapped and feathery and feels like sandpaper.  i think the ointment still helps, but it stings a little bit when applied and takes a little longer to work.  

i typically get this reaction to natural/organic products, believe it or not, or if i wear lipstick too many days in a row.  safe products for me are laura mercier's lip silk and rosebud salve.  as for lipsticks/lipglosses, i just have to try not to use it for too many consecutive days or for too long a period at a time.  
I have also had these problems for years. I can't even wear plain vaseline. Even some natural & organic lip balms break my lips out. For the past 2 months I have been using Mentholatum company's deep moist lip balm. I use espie honey + vit e lip moisturizer at night. So far I have not had a reaction to either. The deep moist is for sale on eBay or sasa.com. the only place I have found the espie so far is on sasa.com. They ship from Asia, but are both fairly cheap & sasa frequently has free shipping promos.
use bag palm guys!  http://www.bagbalm.com. I have all the same allergic reactions and bag balm doesnt irritate me at all and I have been using it at least 7 years. I still cant wear any color but at least I can moisturize. I went to the dermatologist and he told me bag balm is probably the most pure thing you can put on your lips.  
Yvorine, I use my toothbrush to exfoliate when I have chapped lips, and usually when I get bumps, I stop using whatever lip product I was using immediately.  I discussed this with my allergist, and I get these rash-like bumps because my lips are irritated and I have allergies to one or more of the ingredients.  I now use a combo of exfoliating with my toothbrush only when I need to, and a combo of higher end lip balms.  I know that it might be a bit more expensive, but these products work for me.  I was so desperate to find a product I could use, I spent an afternoon at Sephora, asking the sales associates what products are more natural and don't have petroleum, parabens or spf in them.  The SA helped me find Korres Lip butters, and it's been working for the past 2-3 years.  Most of the time I walk into Target/Walmart or any drug store and spend a good min looking at the lip balms they have available and reading the ingredients.  Now on Etsy.com you can search for home made, petroleum free lip balms, or spf free ones.  Unfortunately, all of the balms that worked for me at Target/Walmart are no longer available in store, such as Dr. Bromer's or One Cosmetics Shea butter.  But there are constantly new products, and hopefully one will work for you.  If you continue to have problems, it would be best to see your allergist.  Because it is possible for new allergies to develop.  I hope this helps!
Hi all,

I have an allergic reaction to all lip stick/balm, but there's only 2 lip balm out there that I can safely use without a reaction. Most people don't know, but your lips need SPF protection as does the rest of your skin so I use Jack Black lip balm which contains SPF 25. They say this is for men, but it's the only nice, non-watery, non-oily lip balm that works to moisturizer my lips all year long. The other lip balm that works is Carmex with SPF 15, but the product contains too many harmful chemicals & it feels oily & watery & I have to reapply it more often than Jack Black. Jack Black is a bit pricier than most drugstore lip balms but it is definitely worth the buy. I can't pinpoint what ingredients I'm allergic to but these 2 help my lips stay moisturizer. As for lipstick, I don't use anything as much as I would like some color on my lips for special occasions, but thankfully my lips are naturally light red. Good luck to all with this lip sensitivity issue!
My chapped lips started around 22. I used carmex forever. Then one night I had chapped and used more carmex. For almost a month I kept torchering myself thinking it was a never ending case of fever blisters. I finally stopped using the carmex and it went away. Until I kissed my boyfriend who had carmex on his lips. Needless to say, I made him throw all of his carmex out, and now I have no issues when we kiss. He uses Advanced Healing Therapy Blistex, and I don't seem to get a contact reaction and he gets to have soft lips.

I went from using any n all lip productd, both cheap and expensive, with no problems for years. Now, I can only use Aquaphor as a "balm". I have the same symptoms as everyone else. Aquaphor is great, as it is the same product suggested after getting a tattoo...and talk about try and peeling skin!

I am now 27 and am still looking for answers. Still researching what products are similar in the products. I hate to say it, but this may be one of those things, where as fast as it came into my life, could be as fast as it leaves...when its ready.

Until then...I just keep stocking up on Aquaphor.
I have the exact problem and it wouldn't go away, it started with me using Burt's bees. I searched it online for the cure since its been months since it could be healed I had nasty bumps on my lips everyday and I felt nasty until I untimtenionally found this chap stick. It's the neosporin lip balm, it squeezes out like lip gloss but it works. When I first put it on it relive the burning and healed it. Recently I lost it and used a different one to get by buy I woke up with the exact reaction problem
I have the same problem. It. Began when I was working with Aveda Salon products, and they removed the parabens from all of the makeup. I stopped using all of it when I realized that my eczema on my face and lips was from the ingredient change. I really didn't know how bad the reaction could get until I realised I had bought about 30 + kinds of lip products and they all bother me.  My doctor said to try carmex, as it was thee only thing he knew of that I had not already tried. It didn't work.

I decided to make my own lip saver, and sell some as well. The first batch is fantastic! I used 100% organic sweet almond oil, 100% organic coconut oil, raw, and centrifuge refined, natural bees wax, and 100% organic lemon oil that has been triple filtered. I started with about 100, and I have about 30 tubes left. I am going to make a second batch this week. Gtaro
I have skimmed all the letters and find no mention of toothpaste. Every time you brush your teeth, your lips are exposed to the mint or the cinnamon contained in your toothpaste.  I eliminated toothpaste and used baking soda only and the problem cleared in about 10 days. I got tired of the taste and found a children's toothpaste that didn't contain mint and began using it. Problem recurred after about 4 days. A good lip care product is Carolla's skin cream . It is basically olive oil and beeswax. Buy some contact lens containers, put a little in each, and let it dehydrate for a day or two to stiffen up.
Wow...we are a pack here! This "unknown" allergy is getting on many girls' nerves! I never had any allergies before. But last December, I experienced the worst allergy I could have. (just exaggerating over there, I know, yours is worse than mine, but yeah this is really irritating.) My lips started drying up at first. I thought it was just because of the wind. They got very itchy then started to crack. Worst windburn ever! I tried to treat it with petroleum jelly. It can relief for a moment but seemed  to get worse after absorption. Then I switched to Chapstick. it can temporarily relief the itchiness, but still not the solution. I still regularly use lipstick after putting on petrolium jelly/chapstick. (Avon Moisture Rich Lipstick and a ramdom brand I received) ...But as time goes by (it's February now),it worsens even if theres no harsh wind outside. It's really hard to conclude. But I think these products are triggering the allergy. I'm so surprised since lipsticks and chapsticks are often mentioned as the causes. Also, i think I could also be allergic to sea food. They get really itchy now after i eat my favorite food (spanish sardines.) Benadryl might be a good reliever too but not the cure. My lips look so black now,like I smoke,but I'm not. I also read that too much lip biting removes the moisture film stuff on our lips. This is my habit so i'll try to minimize that. Ohhhh...I wish for the cure to all of us. Oh yeah, for severe types try to search for Cheilitis. xx
I have the exact same problem! I am so happy I found this post :) I recently went to the dermatologist and they prescribed me "Cloderm". It's a cream that I apply onto my lips anytime I have these breakouts. It drys out my lips and then they start to peel but it stops the itching, redness, swelling, and gets rid of those annoying bumps! She also suggested me to use "Vaniply ointment" for my chapped lips. There line is for people like us who are allergic to ingredients they put in all lip products. The ointment is working for me and not harsh! Also just a heads up the tube of Cloderm is about $194 but thank god my dermatologist gave me a coupon that saved me $150! Hope this helps you guys :)
I've had the same problem.  I've used many different brands of natural lip balms for years, then suddenly developed a red rash around my mouth.  Thinking lip balm would sooth it (as it always has in the past) I applied lip balm, but my condition got worse.  I needed some relief from dry lips and now this persistent rash that had gone on for weeks.  Two doctors (general and dermatologist) had both said it was contact dermatitis, not caused by bacteria, fungus or virus.  I studied the ingredients of the lip balms, because it seemed that had to be the cause.. it seemed that tangerine and lime, some of my favourite flavours that have not bothered me in the past, could be too acidic or enzymatic.  I got interested in the idea of making my own lip balm, but due to the amount of time it would take shop for ingredients, melt things down, pour into molds, I just started experimenting first with pure coconut oil.  I would have started experimenting with pure beeswax if I had any, but it was harder to find.  The coconut oil was immediately soothing and my lips started getting better, and after about a week, healed up entirely.  What a great discovery!  and it's less expensive than lip balm sticks.  The only inconvenience is that coconut oil becomes liquid at temperatures greater than about 75 degrees and so it doesn't stay on thick.  It's great for applying at bedtime because the house is cool at night.  So I keep it around the house and work in little baby food jars and apply with a baby food spoon.  After a couple months being rash-free, I tried some of the lip balms again over a thick coating of coconut oil, and some have worked very well, no rash, and good to have the extra wax coating especially when going outdoors on a dry day.  But I've also tried some of these lip balms plain and started developing the rash within 24 hours.  Still don't know what it is about the lip balms... maybe old inferior ingredients are being used these days due to difficult economic climate?
I have the same issue; I use Bobby Brown's extra soothing balm and haven't had a reaction yet. Crossing my fingers. http://www.sephora.com/extra-soothing-balm-P378500?skuId=654327
Hi there, I have been having similar problems with my lips. I was buying expensive lip treatments to help but my lips felt dry even with stuff on them. My lips were peeling constantly which was driving me crazy and getting little red bumps which were just painful and annoying. I found this site about a week and a half ago when I was going super crazy trying to figure out what was going on. After reading through some of the other postings I tried some more new products and I wanted to share my results with everyone because my lips are doing so much better. So I first figured out that I was probably allergic to the SPF so I quit using anything with SPF. I got some L'occtaine 100% pure shea butter which is fabulous. I also ordered Fresh's advanced lip treatment which still didn't work for me even without the SPF so back it goes. I must be allergic to something else too in their lip products. And to my great surprise I ended up trying Clinique Superbalm Moisturizing Gloss and it is really great. I've never really been a huge Clinique fan but I am liking their lip products. It is basically a lip balm in a tube with a very slight color to it. Within a day or so of stopping the bad ones and just using the Clinique mostly my lips are all better, no more peeling and red bumps and lips don't feel dry anymore. I'm sure some of you probably have more extreme allergies and maybe you've already tried these things but if not definitely give them a try. Oh and there's a great gift with purchase for Clinique right now at Macy's, I'm going to get mine tomorrow. :)
Hi! I am 40 and have been having this problem for years. I even react to the "hypoallergenic brands."  I finally decided if I wanted to wear color on my lips without a reaction I would get my lips tattooed.  Once the blistering and the peeling from THAT wore off (which was actually less time than the recovery from wearing lipstick), I put Aquaphor on over my lips and it lasted for about 3 years. I had it "touched up" and the procedure was WAY more painful the second time (the woman pressed so hard my teeth and gums were sore for two days) and then my lips blistered and peeled so much the color peeled off.
It sounds drastic, but as you get older, your natural lip color fades. I wanted long lasting color.  I have since found that I can wear  Buxom by Bare Minerals or Revlon's Just Bitten lip stains without a reaction.  But, I only wear them on "special occasions."  Last weekend, I wanted to "tart it up" a bit and decided I would wear a classic red lipstick. I went to Sephora (who lets you try out products by letting you take a sterilized sample home) and bought Moulin Rouge Rouge Artist (long lasting, professional lipstick in a "neutral red"). It looked great! But, I awoke in the middle of the night with my lips burning and blistering. I looked like someone hit me in the mouth all day yesterday and my lips are dry and flaking today.  I am 40 and still acting stupid.  It is all about deciding what you want to deal with and how often.
Good luck!  
Something maybe no one has mentioned is to drink more water. it sounds stupid but I started The Plan diet and now drink 2 liters of water a day (flavored w herbal tea) and that helps me not need chapstick as often.

While my reaction began with Burt's Bees, I have not had any reaction to my lipgloss thank goodness: L'Oréal's Infallible 8 HR Le Gloss. Also because I had been doing the PLan, I wondered if after the first week cleanse, my body was more sensitive and that's why I had a reaction. At first I thought it was a reaction to blackberries but that's very rare apparently.

I will look out for the badger stuff and hope this goes away, or  keep hydrating and moisturizing so that my lips don't need chapstick  as often!
I'm amazed to read this discussion. I had moreorless given up on lip balms. But, by coincidence just got the standard suite of patch tests done for allergies this week. I was not surprised to find that I am allergic to ingredients  commonly used in lip balms. I imagine some of the rest of you have this problem as well. I'll try the Vanicream product which has an SPF factor 30 as I have read the ingredients and that seems OK. Otherwise will take the doctor's advice and just use my normal skin cream as at least I know I'm not allergic to that. Best of luck!
Wow so many people with the same issues!! I have tried hundreds of products and the only one I can use is Ceralip produced by LaRoche Posay. I even have a reaction to Aquaphor, and other supposedly hypoallergenic products. I regularly  get painful eczema on my lips no matter what I do.. I also have to use prescription hydrocortisone to treat the inflammation when it is bad. Ceralip will not solve my problem but it definitely helps and its the only moisturizer that is not making things worse. If you have the same problems you can give it a try (it's expensive though).
I am extremely grateful for this post. I am 29 years old and about a week ago I started getting what seemed to be a cold sore on the side of my mouth and extremely dry, chapped lips. I started using my lib balms like crazy and it never seemed to get better. This morning I woke up and wondered if I was having an allergy. Sure enough, my lips are kind of oozing. So I'm cutting all lip balms for awhile.

I'm not 100% sure if it's a reaction to lib balm or a different facial product. I've recently started using a couple of moisturizers and a new lip balm. So I'm going to go back to an old moisturizer and cut out the lip balm, and hope that my lips heal after a few days of nothing on them. Right now they are driving me crazy from itchiness and dryness. Then I'm going to start trying some og the suggestions you guys have put out.
Hey, I have the EXACT same problem. I became allergic to lipgloss, balm, and lipstick randomly! Vaseline is the ONLY thing that works. Today I wore MAC lipstick, RIRIWOO, my lips were fine until abt 6 hours later. The wet blisters came back.

Hi ALL...i have suffered from lip rash for 1 month or so...
We ALL have known the symptoms, but here's what I did that perhaps make the rash appear:

1) I had cold and wrap clean my sneeze mostly with usual cloth (which is very rough) and it effect my vermilion border (the edge between your lips and the regular skin)
2) I drink approximately 1,2L of water per day which isssss very deficient
3) I had bad history with M*Y*****NE lip smooth color n care, but I still dont know what exactly the content that 'harash' my lip...Until now my guesses R up to SPF and/or Beeswax
4) I used about 5 years-old lip nutrition (works as lip balm) that has choco-chip flavour, it doesnt contain beeswax...when i had my symptoms with M*Y*****NE, I used this lip balm, and it kind of helping to 'cure' it....but now seems like my lip never healed although I apply this out-of-date lip balm

I tried traditional method like applying cucumber to my lip...It soothed my lip right away! With combination of drinking enough water (2,1L)...my lip show the characteristic of healing, it flakes and less hurt..becoz I was quite impatience, I scrub the cucumber to my lip and make the flakes peeled off unnaturally...and my symptoms got back! I applied cucumber again, but found that cucumber work as if I apply water over n over again to my lip...it hide the rash, but not healing it

So, I think I need some kind of moisturizer that really infiltrate into lip skin...becoz my lip skin is like screaming S.O.S (or need to be treated in ICU)...As I dont know any lip pure moisturizer exist (without combined in lip balm, lip butter, etc, I bought this miraculous product, called: Pigeon Moisturizer 30g (white and pink tube in box). Price is very cheap around US$1,2...in the interface it says: moisturizer for all skin type, i found it in face moisturizer section in hypermart.

I read the ingredient coz I want to prevent beeswax, spf stuffs. Before u apply it, make sure u're no in state of drinking or eating at least for some times...and VOILA! It answer my lip's S.O.S by penetrating inside the skin to moist it...I love this product, I will apply again until my flakes peeled naturally or so x)

This article helps too....I hope u all healed!
http://zizaidermatology.wordpress.com/2010/07/16/am-i-allergic-to-beeswax/
Hello all!  I had an allergic reaction to a frosted lipstick a month ago and I've tried everything since then to stop the peeling and little bumps.  Finally I tried BandAid antibiotic - it is the ONE product that seems to actually heal rather than just soothe.  Hoping you all have some luck with this! It's not a bad gloss either - very shiny :)
I HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM FOR OVER 15 YEARS. I finally just recently went to the Doctors. He put me on prednisone course for a bit over a week and is helping. I also took Benadryl which helped. I am using aquaphor and that has helped over any other lip balm I have used. AND I have tried all!! Next step is using more organic and natural lipsticks. When my lips get this bad I don't wear lipstick at all, just Aquaphor advanced healing ointment!
Been dealing with this for 2 years. Was using Chanel's long last daily and I feel like I have ruined my lips. Tried pure lanolin for one year which relieved the symptoms for about a year, but started developing a reaction to that. Am trying to pinpoint the ingredient. Definitely have a similar allergic reaction to aloe Vera and anything with chlorophyll in it. Cucumber scrubs, etc.  nothing was helping to relieve the burn, itch, peeling. Went to dermo and she gave me some steroid topical cream, hallelujah! Some relief, my lips are healing.  But I can't go without color, so trying different methods, like using lip liner with a moisturizer, some lip liners cause same reaction.  I am going to a scientific approach. Listing all products used with ingredients and seeing which ones have a common element.  
Re: Chapped Lips w/Blisters or Swelling

Hi Cazzy,

My lips swelled up like I had collagen implants and told the doctor to "super-size" me. Teenie-tiny water blisters, chapping, etc. Petroleum did help for me for 2 months, now my lips are chapping anyway. I found success using my Oil of Olay face cream on my lips. It has a sun protection in it, as well as being a moisturizer. My lips don't seem to care which kind I use on it, I have the cheaper one for "sensitive skin" and the more expensive "Total Effects 7-In-1". My lips have not had any reaction to it at all, well, except to become more moisturized and to stop chapping. You asked for success stories, so this is mine. Diana
I developed this same problem a few years ago and I am amazed that so many others also have it!!  I was using Avon lip balms (Dew Kiss & Moisture therapy) constantly and then seemed to develop a sensitivity to it and my lips became more and more chapped and dry.  Have tried everything I can find, finally settled on Dr. Bronner's naked lip balm (found at Target then they stopped carrying it but found on Amazon) but after about a year it appears it's coming back.  I also miss wearing lip color so I fall prey to temptation occasionally but usually pay a price.  Am now using Aquaphor only but after a couple weeks it's getting worse. Also read about the possibility of a yeast infection?  I appreciate all the suggestions and plan to try at least some of them, one a time!  I am pretty sure it's an allergy to something or another.
i have had a problem for 10 years now. i have had eczema since day #2 of my life.  my parents and i found over the years the best and most soothing cure was vaseline on really bad areas and wrap lightly to keep them on the skin while sleeping. i have tried steroid creams, lip repairs, new and expensive lipsticks...the first huge positive change was when i changed my toothpaste! i had used crest, colgate and listerine paste for many years with no problem and than one day that changed. i switched to a natural toothpaste: jason nutrismile with no preservatives and no laurel sulfate (lauryl?). anyway, the toothpaste change was HUGE. i still have issues that crop up but not as bad.  i continue using plain old petroleum jelly and that seems to help a little some of the time but again if i wear lip color i am back to swollen, scratchy, burning lips. nothing like deformed, red, cracked lips to make that first impression!!  i just started with coconut oil. it has a pleasant flavor, stays on for a pretty long time and feels soothing.  i don't use anything with fragrance and NO aloe!! it is difficult at first but i ask my dates to refrain from aftershave or fragrance on their face.  one poor guy stuck his head in my kitchen sink i broke out immediately after a quick peck on the lips hello.  i did find products he could wear without bothering my skin.
i will report back after some time passes with the coconut oil!  
I've been going nuts for almost a year as well. I was  using the little blue blistex in our hotel lobby's gift shop (i work in a hotel bar) since it was easily accessible and free. After a few months my lips got extremely chapped, I became dependent on it. My lips started getting a little darker and felt like paper. I decided to simply switch over to EOS but then my lips went bizzerk. I woke up to red lips with blisters that would produce liquid. I tried several diff products including Vic's healing lip solution, carmex, vaseline, nivea, but none of them did any good. Coconut oil didnt help for me either. I've been using burts bee's nourishing with mango butter and that keeps things pretty calm but also producing a wonderful light discoloration around my entire mouth (being that im african american ...yeah it looks crazy) I thought for sure the coco butter chapstick was going to work well for me since it reduced the discoloration and had my lips feeling like they did a year ago when i was happy and could wear lipstick :( (oh the good old days lol) but now, im currently at work, lips on fire, slightly blistered, and terrified of eating lunch because of the width i'd have to allow my mouth to open. thanks, coco butter. all in all.. this suuuckkksss. if ANYONE has any kind of sure solution, i'll sell you my soul for it.
I have suffered like all of you.  I had some relief when I switched to a toothpaste that contained no sodium lauryl (or laureth)sulfate and also didn't contain an ingredient that starts with gua..(I will try to find the exact name).  The condition we all suffered with is called chelitis, or is an allergy to beeswax, petroleum products or ingredients in a coloring, or the ingredients in SPF.    It worsens for me in the fall.  I just wish I could find something that helps.  
Glad to have found this!  My issue began about two months ago.  My doctor and I thought it was a reaction (as was listed as a rare reaction) to a new medication I began.  We tried several other meds and still the Huge lips in the morning, very chapped and peeled every day! Of course I was using everything I could think of to heal them. Chapstick, Neosporin, Cortizone, Blistex, MAC hydrator/gloss, Vaseline.  We stopped all meds and I used less of these products.  Within a week, my lips were almost healed.  Began a new medication, no problems with the lips.  A couple of evenings ago, I was at an outdoor event and was applying Blistex avidly, after a couple of hours, my lips began to tingle and burn.  I stopped using the blistex, but was too late.  My lips blistered up and became swollen. By the next morning they were practically purple they were so bad.  I threw away all the lip treatments I had that brought any discomfort (Chapstick, Blistex mainly)  Neosporin and Vaseline only, prednisone and benedryl - lips are much better second day.  Still very chap, especially in the corners, but blisters have gone.  Definite that Blistex and Chapstick were burning my lips and causing the swelling.  I love the Coconut Oil idea.  I use it for my hair and know it has many healing powers.  It's going on now.  Thank you all for the posts, It was very helpful.
This thread is so very helpful. I have had this issue for 15 years! It started when I was around 14 or 15. One day my lips had tiny bumps all over them--apparently they were not visible to others, but I could feel them when I touched my lips or rubbed them together. After MANY visits to my doctor and dermatologist (who thought it was herpes), I learned that I was likely allergic to petrolatum. I eliminated all products containing petrolatum (including my face lotion), but no matter what petrolatum free lip product I tried, I still had the symptoms.

I eventually found Palmers Cocoa Butter swivel stick worked and without any symptoms. It's not a chapstick per se, but a moisturizing stick - the container is larger than a chapstick but I can still carry it everywhere. Also, if the weather is severe or I'm sick, I use Vitamin E oil overnight for a deeper moisturizing treatment with no symptoms. I've also found that using Cortizone cream clears up any rashes within a day or 2.

My routine to prevent flare-ups:
a - When applying facial moisturizer, never touch the lips. Use the Palmers stick to moisturize areas just around lips.

b - If wearing lipstick (just for the night) apply a thin layer of Cortizone on my lips. This works 90% of the time unless I'm drinking from the glass or sweating.

c - Avoid all ointments. Period.

c - NEVER touch my lips with my hands or any other body part that I have moisturized with everyday lotion or oils. Sometimes this can be the cause of the flare-up.

Hopefully this helps someone. I know not everyone will have the same results. There seems to be different levels of this issue.

Still I am always on the look out for new products to try - a woman needs some variation :) Now that I have a go to product and know how to treat my symptoms, I am not afraid to test other products.

Link to the Palmers that I use:
http://www.amazon.com/Palmers-Cocoa-Butter-Formula-Swivel/dp/B0067ETBJE/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1384202407&sr=8-21&keywords=palmers

I never had any problems with my lips until about a week ago, when I bought a Labello lip butter original (the ones that come in a tiny blue tin). With only a few ingredients, no scent and a nice moisturizing feel to it, I never thought this would end up burning my lips!

I was using this for two days, then one morning I woke up with severely dry, chapped, peeling, swollen red lips that burned. Unfortunately I didn't make the connection with the lip butter until a day later (so I kept on using it). My sister tried the product as well and with only one application last friday, her lips became very dry, which still lasts today (it's Monday).

I've been using a Neutrogena lip balm for 4 days and at least I got rid all the dead skin. But the burning sensation didn't go away, they're still in pretty bad condition.

I was wondering if anyone had the same experience with the labello lip butter.
I have found that with the allergies that I have to things (and I have quite a few), natural coconut oil has been one of my best friends.  You can use it for virtually anything.  I get it at Hi-Health and use it for my face wash, my lip balm, my deep conditioner, my moisturizer, everything!  I like it because you can put it out at room temperature and it becomes a liquid but becomes a solid cream when it get cooler, so you can use it either way.  It's also good to use in place of butter and such for cooking because it has a tendency to boost metabolism and is healthier.  I would highly recommend getting two different jars, one for grooming purposes and one for cooking, if you want to try it out.  It does leave a coconut flavor in almost anything you cook with it, though.  Many times, the reason someone is allergic to something is because of one, many of, or all of the chemicals used in it.  I like coconut oil because it is natural.
My problem started about a month ago....i have been having itching, dryness and pealing of my lips.....it has become progressively worse when last night i began itching all over, became cover with  hives with swollen lips and then my tongue began to swell....had to take an antihistamine to reduce the swelling of my tongue...i have finally traced the allergic reaction to a new lip-gloss i have been using i.e. Jordan lip-out loud #107...unfortunately i have yet to know what ingredients contained within the lip-gloss caused the reaction.....HELP!!!!
YOU GUYS! Natural Ice (I like cherry the best) works wonders. I had this same problem and this is the only solution I have found. What I have thought it to be caused by is the beeswax that is in most chapsticks. Natural ice does not have any beeswax in it. I swear by this product and it only costs a couple bucks at a drug store. :)
Hey, I just had the same problem. I will get tiny bumps but only on my top lip, it's so weird. Blistex and CarMax are what trigger my reaction, so I switched to Vaseline, but not the one in chapstick form, I use the Vaseline from the container. Also, in order to get rid of my tiny bumps I use Dickinson's 100% Natural Botanicals Witch Hazel and that helps the bumps to go away quicker. I put the Witch Hazel on a piece of toilet paper and rub my lips with it about 3 times a day.
I have the same problem! But I tried a chapstick from Forever Living which has aloe vera in it, and it is the only one my lips accepts! Forever Living also have lipstick and my lips accepts the lipstick aswell!
I have the EXACT same problem. The red bumps, the clear liquid that soon follows. I have tried all types of lip products from Maybelline, to Revlon, to Burts Bees to Mary Kay and they all give me the same problem. However, one lip balm did NOT break me out and that was ALMAY LIQUID LIP BALM +CARE! They have a range of colors and they literally did no harm to my lips. I have been using it for about 3 months now and I love it. They moisturized my lips and last a long time. They smell great. Almay is a hypoallergenic line of cosmetics. It's the only lip product I trust
Hi, I have the same problem, I am going to the doc today as I look like 'the thing'.
It started 2 months ago when I had (and still have) a really stuffy nose, so I was breathing out of my mouth which made my lips more chapped than usual. I slathered lip balm on each night, but nothing worked. I have very chapped peeling lips and a red 'moustache' and very red sore under lips. This morning it's reached a peak of crustiness! Arghh.
Anyway, last night I did a bit of research and I am convinced it is my lip balm. I have used lip balm (natural stuff) for about 25 years with no problem. Apparently you can become allergic to products you overuse. From what I have read I believe my allergy is to Beeswax. People report allergies to Jojoba too. I have just had 12 hours with 'naked' lips, not using anything as afraid to make it worse. My lips look worse, but I can see it's drying up so I think it might be getting better.
So watch out for 'natural' lipbalm with beeswax!
Update - I was given hydro-cortizone which worked straight away for the area around the lips, but I didn't want to put on lips. Also, I could see that the skin was repairing, but it looked like it was repairing over the top and not properly. My lips were getting dryer and dryer... someone suggested vaseline which I usually avoid (and use natural products) which has worked a treat! This morning my lips were really cracked and horrible, I used vaseline only (ditched the hydro cortizone) all day and it really has helped. I'll wean myself off it when I'm fully cured!

I definitely think it was the lip balms that I have used for years that were suddenly 'burning' my face and lips.
I've had this terrible problem for more than 2 months.  Everything I tried made the red pigment around my mouth worse.  However I now have been using Cortizone-10 and this does seem towork.  I find it works better around the mouth area, above and below the rims of the lips. and have used it with Vaseline lip balm.   But at one point it corrected it entirely and then I used Soft Lips Balm and it came right back.  Am retreating with the Cortizone (hydrocorizone is also good).  I did find out that alcohol of any kind in any of the lip balms causes the dryness to come back sooner which is why we continue touse it over and over.  Alcohol seems to be part of the culprit.  Vaseline lip balm is just 100% pertroleum jelly.  Used for eons of time.  Coconut oil is good.  Watch ingredients that use alcohol or any kind.  I hope this helps.  I have been fighting this battle for over 2 months but using the products above I have healed.
I have had the same problem for a few days. My lips felt like sandpaper, red bumps began appearing around my lips, the urge to itch, and when I did, there was a clear liquid. I had been using my Burt's Bees lip balm more often than I usually do. (I usually use my EOS lip balm, and I had no allergic reactions to it.) As soon as I noticed the allergic reactions, I stopped using the Burt's Bees product. Although, I was not exactly too sure what exactly was giving me these reactions. To help reduce my allergic reaction to the Burt's Bees product, I continued to use my EOS lip balm instead. If anyone is curious, I have used the flavours sweet mint, vanilla bean, and honeysuckle honeydew. I found that the strawberry flavour just made my lips dry. I also used the Neutrogena Facial Moisturizer for sensitive skin for the skin around my lips. I found that this really helped reduce the redness and bumps for me and the EOS lip balm really put my lips back to normal.
I had this problem for almost a whole week. I had been using my Burt's Bees lip balm more than I usually do as well. I figured that I must have an allergy to something in the lip balm. I found that what the reaction could be is something called contact dermatitis or hives. These are some things that I did to help reduce the symptoms:

- Apply something cold on the affected area. I took some ice cubes and wrapped them with a towel. You can also take a metal spoon and put it in the freezer for 10-15 minutes and put it over the affected area. It basically reduces swelling and redness, but it just helps a little, it's not a fix for sure. It definitely helps with the burning sensation as well!
- Cleansing my face with a gentle cleanser. Try not to use anything harsh around the area.
- If you use a facial moisturizer, be sure to use something for sensitive skin or avoid using anything harsh. Also, when applying a moisturizer or cream try using your ring finger as it has the most gentle touch.
- I also found that using my Sweet Mint EOS lip balm made my lips feel soothed and refreshed.
- Try not to touch or scratch!

Call your doctor if your rash isn’t better after a couple of days. Usually your doctor can examine you and ask questions to figure out what’s causing the rash.
I have had this exact same problem for almost 2 years now. This thread was a lifesaver 2 years ago when I was feeling really depressed about it. I had no problems with any lip products (I loved them!) but all of a sudden I started getting an allergic reaction (super itchy, swelling, crusting, oozing, scarring) to almost everything I owned. I went to some dermatologists and they were confused as to what might be triggering it (as even Vaseline did not help- it hurt it) but after dealing with it for 2 years, I found out that it's pretty much anything in lip products or even non-lip products like setting spray or non-zinc sunscreen if I get it on/around my lips at all. Plus, as you get older (I'm 24 right now) you are more susceptible to develop allergies to things. I use a small amount of OTC hydrocortisone cream (applied once daily) when that happens for a day or two until the symptoms go away. I use CeraVe for my daily facial moisturizer and nothing but Aquaphor for my lips (Aquaphor is amazing and a lifesaver). Works great and I haven't had to deal with breakouts/flares since the initial reaction and my lips are normal and I can eat food without flaring (finally!)

It stinks though because I love lip products and it seems like this contact dermatitis is here to stay indefinitely. I can get away with lip stains like Stainiac once in a while but only a light swipe and I have to be careful to treat the itchiness with hydrocortisone the second I feel it coming on to avoid a full on flare. I wonder if EOS and Almay Liquid Lip Balm and other hypoallergenic products are safe for me to use. But I've been reaction-free for a long time and I don't know if it's worth it for me to try. Any input would be great! It looks like it works for the posts above me but unlike them, my lips reacted to everything except Aquaphor.
I've had the same problem for 2 years now. I've never been allergic to anything but started developing all kinds of allergic reactions. I found out I'm allergic to certain lip balms and lipsticks. Vaseline helped it when it was trying to heal. I'm definitely allergic to EOS lip balms, but that confuses me because I thought they had natural ingredients. I'm still not sure which ingredients I'm allergic to yet. My friend gave me an extra lip balm that she uses and that helped. It's called Karite Lip Balm. It's the only lip balm I'm using now and you can find it on Amazon. I'm afraid of using anything else.
Lanolin for breastfeeding moms works great and is edible. It is made from lamb fat.
So I'm not alone
It started with Nivea's repair & protection lipbalm. After using it 2-3 times for 4 days my lips became severely dry & then they got swollen, itchy & started burning with red bumps. It took a month of treatment to get my lips back to normal. The doctor adviced me to use Vaseline but that didn't suit me either (even though I've used it before). Coconut oil & butter made my lips itchy too. So use to apply milk cream before going to bed.
And then 2 years later I used Maybelline's Baby lips & the same reaction happened but this time it happened within an hour of application. Another doctor gave me a treatment of steroids & some lotion for a month & adviced me to use Nivea Creme for dry lips.
I'm allergic to a lot of things like Dove soap, a lot of facewash brands, silver, gold, aluminum, tungsten, foundation cream, Lakme sunscreen, compact powder & a lot of other stuff & I was sooo frustrated!
WHAT WORKS FOR ME NOW -
I took my doctor's advice & tried Nivea Creme (the one that comes in a tiny blue container thingy). I apply it daily before bed. That's it, I try not to over-do it as I don't wanna take a risk of getting a reaction again. And I use Coloressence lipstick as they are said to have herbal ingredients. Recently I've used Mentholatum LipIce lipbalm thrice a week & it didn't hurt.
I've been having terrible reaction and my lips would swell up and blister and peel. After dermatologist suggested an SPF allergy I have gone to using only aqua phor for hydration. Any lip balm containing oxybenzone or oxybenzene I stay away from. Titanium and zinc oxide seem ok. I too have a reaction to most lip gloss. Never had this problem until a few years ago. Frustrating!