Allergy Community
Allergy not helped by Claritin D

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Allergy not helped by Claritin D

Since August I have been plagued by congestion and itchy eyes.  Some sneezing and coughing and sometimes major drainage.  I started taking an allergy pill from Costco called Allerclear.  But it seemed to do little to nothing.  Last week I started on Claritin D for the congestion.  I had a couple good days while I was away from home but now the drug is being over powered.  What else can I take?  Should I move to the regular Claritin?  How long should I give the Claritin D before I move off of it?

Separate questions, I believe most pollens are gone now, here in the Chicago area.  So what is left for me to suddenly be allergic to?  Never had allergies before and the only reason I think it is allergies, is because it's been since August and a cold generally won't last 8 weeks. Will it?

Thanks in advance
Take homeopathic medicine allium cepa 30

4 pills - 3 times daily - 7 days

come after 7 days
You said you were better for a couple of days you were away from home, did I read that correctly?  

It may be there is something new in your home, office, neighborhood that is causing the problem.  If Claritin is like Benadryl the "D" means for congestion and that is what you need from what I read.  Read on the package what it is best for. Most, in my sample look treat runny nose, not congested nose.. the problem I have during the night, sometimes starts before bedtime.  In my case it seems to gone when I am up and physically active.  

I find a Afrin type nose spray clears my nose/sinus up very well and for hours, but one can not take that more than a couple of nights or pay the price of the condition getting worse if one suffers a chronic condition, as I do.

I've used a couple types of nose sprays, neither help much and I now use only saline nasal spray.  When I wake up the two or three time during my sleep period, I spray with the saline. It helps, but doesn't cure.
Hi,  I have let a few days go by without taking the Claritin D or the Allegra D, both of which I have tried to little or no effect.  My symptons are no worse without the meds.  I think it may be a mold allergy.  I cleaned the entire house, under the fridge, etc.  No mold.  In the basement I sometimes get a little mildew smell in the heat of summer but it's gone now.  I bought the best furnace filter I could find and also placed filters in each vent throughout the house.

Today I found a plastic bin full of old reel to reel tapes.  They have mold of many of them. However the bin was closed for most of the time.  I opened it a few months ago to look at them and then had it open for several days last week.  Today, on my mold hunt I looked through several more and there is mold on many of them.  I  closed up the bin and put it in the garage.  

There seems to be no more mold in the other boxes or bins in the basement so I may have found the culprit.  I am sure it will be a few days to clean the air in the house and for me to start feeling better if indeed this is the culprit.  So the question is, can mold spores be released into the air without really being disturbed and also closed in a plastic bin?
Hope you found the "culprit" . But to your question, I think not. Mold does have spores that can move in air currents, but to my understanding these spores don't have "legs or wings", so if contained in a still air container I think they would stay there.