Allergy Community
Asbestos aggrevating allergies?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Asbestos aggrevating allergies?

Does asbestos exposure aggrevate exisitng allergies - or put it another way, is the coincindental increase in allergy symptoms (rhinitus) with asbestos disruption just a coincidence, physco-sematic, or is there a possible link?

I have an underlying dust-mite allergy, which causes rhintus. Normally its mild.

There have been three incidents where asbestos (ammosite/crysotile mix - AIB board) has been disturbed in our attic or the adjacent attached house attic. In one case I had no involvement in the disturbance.

In each disturbance case, my allergy symptoms increased massively to uncontrollable sneezing, itchy eyes, sometimes breathlessness, painful throat. The disruption was in the attic, and I have been 'reassured' that they asbestos wont find its way into the house. However for a month or so after the disruption, my rhinitus is intolerable. These symptoms tend to resurface from time to time in the (now) proceeding months, and generally my symproms are much worse in this house.

I am now going to get the attic enviromentally cleared at great expense, since although I have no evidence to say that its causing my problems, it does trouble me that things get much worse after the disturbances. This also suggest that I may be exposing myself and family to low levels of asbestos in the house.

I know advice on this matter is difficult to give. I thought it would be helpful to have it discussed, since it seems to me that there really could be a link, possibly unknown, between the two. If so people who have this problem and think that nearby asbestos is contained but cant explain why they are sneezing all the time etc, would be helped by this knowledge.

Thanks,

Mike

This discussion is related to Asbestos Exposure.

As you are having allergies to dust mites,so asbestos fibers when suspended in the air and inhaled can cause such symptoms that you are having.This is because you are already having allergies to dust mites which makes you predisposed to hay fever. Hay fever, like all allergic reactions, is caused by allergens, foreign "invaders" that enter your body by inhalation, by swallowing, or through your skin.So if you are allergic to dust mites,most of the inhaled allergens like pollen,mold,environmental pollutants can cause such symptoms and asbestos is not different.I would suggest that if you are having these symptoms,you should consult a respiratory medicine specialist and get an x-ray chest done to see whether there has been any damage to the lungs due to asbestos exposure.Individuals exposed to asbestos may show the symptoms weeks or even months after the exposure.

I hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted.

Your reply in 2009 re asbestos and allergies is helpful. I recently moved into a old rental house which has several rooms with floor tiles containing asbestos. Since moving in my allergies has increased tremendously and we were suspicious about asbestos - you helped to make us understand it better. Thank you.