Caffeine Allergy/Intolerance
I have had a serious problem with caffeine ever since I got the Gardasil vaccine. Whether or not the two are related, I have no clue, but I was an avid coffee drinker, soda drinker, what have you, before I got this vaccine. About two days after I received the vaccine I started to suffer something I cannot even accurately describe--my hands would tingle, I would feel like I was dying, I felt like I had the flu and I had a horrible fever. Beside the fact that I was having a bad reaction to the vaccine, I didn't realize that at the same time I was having a bad reaction to caffeine. All of the sudden, any time I had any coffee, soda or anything, I had a horrible panic attack and felt like, for lack of better words, like I was going crazy. I have suffered this since February of 2007. Just today I had HALF of a diet coke, no kidding, HALF, and the entire day couldn't even exist in my own skin. It is as if my body cannot metabolize it properly and it honestly makes my blood pressure go sky high---i'm talking like 150s or so without me even being anxious. What do I do??? What caused this?? Does anyone else have a similar experience??

From someone who is completely lost and feeling like they have no answers, there has to be someone else who has experienced what I have. And if not, then maybe I have no hope of anyone helping me explain what happened....I went to the dr. who administered the vaccine, who wouldn't help me, and countless others who dismissed my problems. But this is a last ditch effort to find someone else who either shares this problem or who can help me out.

Thanks.
bebe, you are on to something with the Cipro.  I googled it and here is what I found:

"Just like BAYCOL and other fluorinated drugs, ciprofloxacin is a potent inhibitor of the thyroid hormone-regulated P 450 enzyme system in the liver. Of all fluoroquinolones, ciprofloxacin and enoxacin have shown the greatest inhibitory capacity (4).

P450 IA2 prevents the metabolism/inactivation of methylxanthines, thereby causing increased serum concentrations of drugs like theophylline and caffeine, which in turn causes excess CNS and cardiac stimulation. As mentioned above, CIPRO also elevates serum fluoride levels."

Take note of the part where it says it prevents the inactivation of caffeine!!  It must somehow cause a permanent decrease in this enzyme system responsible for metabolizing caffeine.  And it looks as if the fluoride is the culprit.

I also have a caffeine sensitivity.  I figured it out last November.  Looking at my records, I found that I had taken Diflucan in September of 2010.  I looked it up--Diflucan is a compound that consists of fluoride!
Welcome to all newcomers to the 'Why can't I have caffeine?" club.  My story is just like yours - one night I could have caffeine, and did several times a day - and the next night I was in the hospital hyperventilating and fibrillating.  24 years old when it happened.  I'm female, which also seems a commonality we have.  It runs in my family, too.  My mom and both of my aunts are caffeine intolerant.

I just want to scream at evey barista in the world about this condition.  They don't care or understand.  I've given up on Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts because reaching over to get a decaf instead of a regular seems to be too much of a strain for them.

Once I bought bulk coffee beans from a grocery store and guess what - someone had filled the decaf bin with full caf coffee.  And this isn't something to be taken lightly for most of us.  For me it leads to :  Severe headache, diarrhea, dizziness, palpitations or fibrillations, inability to sleep (for at least 24 hours after consumption), shaking, cold and hot flashes.  Just a complete disruption for at least a day.

So my plan was to find a good brand of coffee, get a french press, and make my own.  Seattle's best decaf is good, so is Medaglia D'oro.  Both are difficult to find, so I stock up when I can.  Auguson farms sells a chocolate milk powder that, when added to espresso and a cup of ice makes a DELISH iced coffee.(morning moos)

If this was a penis problem, you know doctors would be all over it, there would be awareness campaigns and charity runs.  But since it is a problem predominantly with females, we just get ignored.

And here's what I want to know.  Since caffeine is considered a drug, why isn't it controlled?  I think anything with caffeine in it should have dosages listed on the label.

Caffeine intolerant unite!
As a side note, this all began after a REALLY bad cold/flu.
I am so glad people keep adding to this thread, keep the information coming.  I also notice that after the caffeine builds up it also starts disturbing my vision does anyone else have this happen to them?
This happened to me a long time ago, and it took a great deal of researching to figure out what was going on.

You don't have an allergy.

You had an idiosyncratic toxic reaction to something, not caffine. This caused damage to your nervous system, likely your GABA receptors. Your brain has now become more sensitive to certain chemicals. Everyone will tell you that you have gone crazy. But if you just avoid the stuff that bothers you, eventually, over a few years you improve.

This is very similar to benzodiazepine withdrawal, things that bother someone with that condition also cause bother to you. Avoid those things.

I had this happen to me twice, I stopped complaining after the first time, because all the doctors said I'm crazy. Well I may not be a doctor, but I am a scientist, and I researched for years to figure out what had happened to me.

The first time it happened after having avalox which is a quinolone. For months after I had all sorts of problems, couldn't have chocolate, or caffine at all. The next time it happened was after the flu vaccine. It wasn't the vaccine but the antibiotic that they put in the vaccine to keep it from contamination.

I do agree with this theory, my husband loved strawberries when he was little but one day became allergic to them, then 9 years ago he quit smoking and months later was able to enjoy strawberries again.

Ugh why is caffeine so hard to quit :(  How long does it take to get out of your system and what helps you ween off?
Hi everybody,

I´ve just found your thread and my story will be long. I am a doctor, suffering from the same problem as you for more than 10 years !!! So far I found no solution to my problem. It all began in a period of my life when I was permanently stressed, worked very hard, having frequent viral and bacterial infections. As these were like nose, throat, lungs or paranasal, I took ATB and never stayed home (this is the way doctors cure themselves). Apart form being exhausted for a long time I was in perfect health. Having one of my frequent "non-cured" infections I went into a party and had some alcohol (I do not drink regularly). A cup of coffee next morning and that afternoon I will never forget. After being completely all right, out of the blue I had a feeling I was going to die. Many had described it here perfectly, I have nothing to add, but no one can understand until he experience it. Severe anxiety, chest pain, fainting . . . ECG normal, BP normal, I was sent home from hospital as beeing completely fit. But from that very day I was never the same. I cannot even look at the coffee, you could use me as an indicator of how much caffeine is in which product. . . Even though I do not drink coffee, I still experience anxiety, chest pain, vertigo after any caffeine or adrenalin impuls. Even when I am stressed without caffeine all this can come. I have been investigated thoroughly several times and apart from a suspicion on "parcial autonomic failure" nothing was ever found. I consulted psychiatrist of course, as I believed, that connection with my stressfull way of life is clear. I was told to have nothing to be cured, from her point of view I am completely healthy. If anybody has more or wants to learn more, I will be more than happy to stay in contact.
Interesting you mention the infections.  What is ATB?  Antibiotics?  I did mention I remember having an infection and taking ciproflaxin during a period when I first remember having the caffeine reaction/attack.  Also, it was maybe a year before the first caffeine reaction, but I had taken minocycline for an extended period of time as well.  It would be nice to have some solid cause to point to as the source of this caffeine intolerance.

It has been maybe 4 or 5 years for me since I started having these reactions to caffeine.  I too have found no cure other than not ingesting caffeine.  I have found that I can occasionally drink maybe half or a quarter of a soda without ill effects... but not on a regular basis.  I can even feel the caffeine in decaffeinated coffee and dark chocolate.
very interesting input indeed, I have noticed even breaking out in cold sweats from a cup of coffee... I so need to kick the habit :(  I can go a couple of days and then I start to feel better and then go back to it only to feel crappy again.  Thanks for sharing everyone it gives me a lot of motivation.
ATB is for antibiotics indeed. We have to distinguish between allergy and hypersensitivity, which is not the same. Some of you have allergy and some perhaps a kind of hypersensitivity/intolerance. To me, it seems like after an overstimulation of a autonomic nervous system there is a sudden reset in the way how our body reacts to adrenergic stimuli. Therefore some of us mention infection, stress . . . Comment from matt787 is very interesting. There might be somethig in that. Sadly, I am not a kind of doctor dealing directly with this kind of problem, so it is the same for me just like for you. After being investigated a said I am OK, I have to deal with the problem myself.
So I read a little bit about the enzyme that you mentioned Stephs.  There is a family of enzymes called P450's, and ciproflaxin is an inhibitor for the one called CYP1A2.  On this website:
http://www.pharmacytimes.com/publications/issue/2007/2007-11/2007-11-8279

It also says that Ethinyl Estradiol is an inhibitor... which is the main component in oral contraceptives.  Which are something I take, and probably many of the rest of you take.  In fact over the years I have found myself going to an extremely low dose birth control pill because my body acts more favorably to it.  

I was almost certainly taking a normal dosage pill at the same time I had the ciproflaxin.  Maybe the two combined did something bad in terms of completely inhibiting this CYP1A2 enzyme (which is one of the enzymes responsible for breaking down caffeine).  Then the caffeine will more quickly build up to toxic levels.

On a different note, I accidentally took a vitamin pill that had as much caffeine as a cup of coffee the other day (it's been about a year since I've had caffeine, and then only half a soda).  I did not get the dizziness or anxiety or adrenaline rush.  I did not sleep though and was having hot flashes all night, which is what made me go back and reinspect the contents of what I ate that evening.  

At any rate, there may be some hope to ingest it in small doses if enough time has passed in between.  Although I don't think I could ever go back to having it every day.
I've had a caffeine allergy for 16 years now, starting at 17 years old. I didn't know what it was for the first four years. I had severe joint pain and would break out in hives each day.

Finally, when I realized it was caffeine, I began taking a benadryl each morning so I could still have caffeine.

When I got pregnant 11 years ago I stopped the caffeine and benadryl completely. The hives and joint pain were gone, but instead I've struggled with extreme fatigue almost every day for years. I started drinking green tea and then progressed to coffee about 2 years ago because I could handle the fatigue anymore. The joint pain came back with a vengence and my knee swelled up with fluid.

Whenever I have caffeine from any source, I still get hives each day, and now I also get panic attacks and rapid heartbeat if I am in an enviroment that would make me nervous.

The problem is, if I don't drink something with caffeine, I am so tired I get nothing done and the whole day feels wasted. For increasing my energy without caffeine, I've tried about everything. I eat healthy with protein for breakfast everyday. I eat complex carbs and I'm not overweight. I get enough sleep and exercise. I take a good multivitamin. I really just need caffeine to stay awake and be productive in the daytime and I don't know what to do since I can't have caffeine. It's very frustrating.
I have suffered two episodes within the last month and had to go to the emergency room for the first one and my symptoms include racing pulse my blood pressure shoots up extreme anxiety diarreah lightheaded and then I get the shakes bits it's more like convulsing because it's worse then just the normal shakes. The first time this happened I had started a z-pack and thought I was having a allergic reaction but a few weeks later it happened again and the only thing that was the same was I had coffee tea and chocolate within the same day and that evening it hits me. And it's the most horrible feeling and it seems like once I get in that state it's hard for me to get back to normal i don't feel back to normal for almost a week. I went to my dr who prescribed me Zoloft blood pressure meds and clonopen as needed but the blood pressure meds made my Bp to low because after the episode passes my bp returns to normal. It's comforting to know that I'm not alone in this.
I have ALL the same symptoms as you and everyone acts like I don't know what I'm talking about or they think I'm over exaggerating. Have you found any answers? I too have been a coffee drinker for years and "bam!" out of no where they started happening. Well I hardly drink caffeine now but at times I have a cup or some soda, seems like it messes with my mind and even feel that my memory is getting bad now.
Hi.  I've read many of the posts here and it's nice to know I'm not the only one with this weird, out of know where problem.  It seems most of the posts here are from women.  I am 32 and just started having episodes in March of this year.  Out of know where I had what I thought  was a heart attack one morning after drinking only half of a cup of decaf coffee.  I wasn't stressed, just relaxing on my couch watching TV.  I went to the ER and they checked me out.  They couldn't find anything and told me to follow up with my doctor and avoid caffeine.  I've been to many doctors since and have cut out caffeine, but no answers on why the sudden caffeine intolerance.  I will say though, I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, low Vitamin D, and mitral valve prolapse (MVP).  My cardio said in fact that MVP is common and I could still have caffeine.  So I had a little decaf off and on and still got palpitations.  I'd also feel like I would be in a hypoglycemic state, extremely weak, like I'd pass out, so I'd eat protein and lie down for 20 mins. or so and feel better.  
I've done a lot of research and I'm wondering if there are underlying causes that make us all so intolerant of caffeine all of a sudden.  I wonder if there's any connection between liver function and estrogen dominance that is causing this.  Your liver is where caffeine and many other substances and hormones are metaboloized.  So if your liver is not functioning effectively, I would think that toxins would build up in the liver, metabolize much slower and make you more sensitive to foods, chemicals, etc.  Also, I read that caffeine increases estrogen in the body and interferes with the liver's ability to metabolize estrogen, which can cause the body to have too much estrogen.  In addition, the adrenal glands indirectly produce progesterone which counteracts the effects of estrogen.  When caffeine is consumed in excess, that burdens the adrenals which can in turn lower progesterone levels.  The combination of this Estrogen Dominance and impaired liver function may very well be contributing to caffeine sensitivity/intolerance.  Does anyone else have low Vitamin D and/or endocrine or autoimmune diseases here that is experiencing this caffeine intolerance?
I was a big ice tea drinker, woke up April 13, 2011 and had all the same symptoms have not had any caffeine since May 1, 2011 and I feel great.  I hae spent probably hundreds of hours trying to research why overnight i cannot tolerate caffeine and came up with nothing.  I went to 8 doctors had countless blood tests, cat scan, any other tests and all doctors said your fine come back in 6 months and don't have any caffeine.   One doctor did find a stomach polyup and removed it and a esophgus ulcer which is now healed.
I was also under alot of stress at the time.

I would rather never have caffeine again than experience for a moment how bad I felt back then.  I felt like I was dying for 4 months before I felt better in July 2011, even after stopping caffeine about 2 weeks after I started feeling bad in April 2011.  It took about two weeks to figure anything with caffeine would make me feel extremely bad.
Ohhh I am sooo glad to have found this community!  I am a 31 y/o female and I just started having this intolerance within the past few years.  Like many of you coffee didn't used to have this affect on me --  but now even a half of a cup can make me feel like I'm having a heart attack.  Mine seems to be triggered when I am extremely tired and/or hungover, which usually leads me to think I need a coffee pick me up.  Its weird because when I am awake, the coffee doesn't bother me, its after I go to sleep. I just had an episode this past Sunday.  I went to bed at 10pm, woke up at midnight with my heart racing.  Dizziness, muscle fatigue, panic attack, hyperventilation, diarrhea, fever sweats... I feel like I'm on the verge of death!  The past few times I have taken a 0.5 mg of Xanax and it seems to help me fall back asleep and when I wake in the morning all seems to be fine.  I take no other medications (other than the Xanax on only a need basis, probably every few months) and I am completely healthy with no underlying health issues.  I am prone to anxiety and I feel like this could definitely be related to the coffee issue, although, the night-time coffee episodes are worse than any panic attack I've ever experienced. I drink green tea every morning, which obviously has caffeine in it, and if I drink green tea at night with dinner or something it doesn't have an affect on me either.  Neither do sodas.  Just coffee.

I wish there was more information or insight I could provide because these episodes are nightmarish... and again, out of the blue!  I feel for all of you!  Stay away from coffee and talk to your doctor about Xanax.  Good luck, I feel for all of you and I hope for some more insight.  
First off in general I am glad I am reading this post, sometimes I am thinking I am going crazy too. I know this post is old but I too am experiencing some weird things as well that are driving me crazy. Everything started about a year ago for me which all I can relate to at the time or at least what I think started everything was coffee.

I used to drink coffee (about a pot to a pot and a half everyday). Before that I used to drink diet Pepsi (about 30 cans a day, YES I said 30 cans) but I quit that years ago. I suffered with my weight all my life and lost a ton of weight and no longer drink soda now for years. Even though once in a while Ill squeeze one in here and there its pretty much gone. Anyways about a year ago I started experience a weird symptom when I drank coffee. I would start too feel which I can only describe as a tightness in my lower esophagus, near the bottom part of my throat. That would happen gradually and get worse. Then one night I was laying in bed and my right arm started to tingle, freaked the crap out of me. Then my left arm that night started to tingle and it tingled/numbness for months after that. I continued to drink coffee. Along with that my heart would feel tight which of course freaked me out. I had multiple EKG's, Blood work labs and CAT scans and everything came back negative. After all that I just ignored my symptoms even though they were driving me crazy. Then about a few weeks ago I started to feel like I was getting itching/pain in my veins  It seems to follow a vein of some sort and I was getting abdominal pain. Now I think "maybe" I have an ulcer issue and that could be the problem. Who knows, I have a Dr. appointment next week to rule out the ulcer (or maybe that's what it is). Even now as I type this I have a slight tightness in my chest near my heart. I'm not freaked out because I am used to it.

Concerning what Fulci said I felt I needed to respond to you which also makes me wonder and I am going to research, but you mention the weird feelings you have when you sleep. Like your body falls asleep before your mind does. Let me tell you that this has happened to me my entire life every night including when I was a young child, but it wasn't until I was 18 when I finally figured out what it was. It sounds like you have something called "Paralyzed Sleep" or "Sleep paralysis" Google it and it will blow your mind. It's a form a narcolepsy. Its basically when your body falls asleep before your mind does. Do research to find out if that's what you have.

I find it fascinating that this was mentioned with this topic since its what I have. According to research those who suffer from this or narcolepsy it is known that over stimulates can make conditions worse. I wonder if there is a correlation to narcolepsy and caffeine. Anyways I could go on forever, but I would have loved if someone told me what I had a long time before I found out. So I hope that helps.
I have the same problem! When I drink caffeine, my heart races, my skin crawls, I start to feel really drunk, I throw up and I have diharrea. It feels like my skin is literally crawling all over my body and I feel like I want to jump out of my skin. Also, if I drink a lot of caffeine (like an energy drink) I black out. Its like my eyes go into tunnel vision, everything goes completely dark, and then I faint.I can still hear everyone around me, but I can't see or control my body. I'm only out for a few seconds and then I usually stand up and vomit immediatly. I have also hallucinated because of an energy drink.

Like you guys, I haven't always had this issue with caffeine. It seemed to hit me around age 21. It occured around the same time that I started taking birth control and a presription for acid reflux. I don't know which one triggered the allergy, but I think it was probably one of those. I am no longer on any medication, but I still have severe reactions to caffeine. This morning, I ordered decaff coffee (for the first time in years) and I am not convinced that it was decaff because I am having these same symptoms. Pretty much, my entire day is ruined! I will end up lying in bed alone all day because I am too drunk feeling and sick to go have fun with everyone on Thanksgiving and I definitely can't even think about eating anything because the thought makes me vomit :( I would love to hear an opinion from a doctor who doesn't brush this all under the rug or think that I am crazy.
Hi everybody,
i'm in trouble since 7 months, not only with caffeine, but also with DECA, tea and probably with chocolate too.
I discover it -out of the blue- "thanks" to panik attack, which are very close to what is probably "hell".
MD doesn't seems to have an answer so we better protect our-self by avoiding most of these very "common" substances..
Good luck everybody,
Sal. (italy)
OMG! Me too... I am 20 years old, and I have been drinking coffee since I was 12.. at high amounts.. all of a sudden out of the blue, every time I have it,  my heart rate gets dangerously high, I feel like Im going to pass out, I get weird aches throughout my body, a lump in my throat that feels like when you swallow too much french frie at once, both of my hands tingle on the left side, and I panic and think im having a heart attack.. damn, I wish someone could really explain it!
Hi Kelly,

I suddenly became unable to have caffeine in 2008. Even a half cup of tea causes the same symptoms in me - my hands and face tingle, I feel like I need to go to a hospital for hours. After the initial reaction I am so tired I feel like I could die. I have gone to the hospital a couple times thinking it was a heart problem but all tests were negative. I'm becoming more and more fatigued as the years go by. I also get very fatigued when I take depression medication - doctors keep telling me it's depression, but I don't think it is. A friend of mine in med school recently suggested caffeine intolerance is a classic symptom of chronic fatigue syndrome, or could point to an auto-immune disorder. I hope you can find a rheumatologist to check you out. You are much too young to have to feel like this, and it only gets worse if you don't address it.

Best of luck.
Hi Kelly,

I suddenly became unable to have caffeine in 2008. Even a half cup of tea causes the same symptoms in me - my hands and face tingle, my heart starts pounding - not exactly that much faster but much harder - high blood pressure is the reason, I think. I feel like I need to go to a hospital for hours. After the initial reaction I am so tired I feel like I could die. I have gone to the hospital a couple times thinking it was a heart problem but all tests were negative. I'm becoming more and more fatigued as the years go by. I also get very fatigued when I take depression medication - doctors keep telling me it's depression, but I don't think it is. A friend of mine in med school recently suggested caffeine intolerance is a classic symptom of chronic fatigue syndrome, or could point to an auto-immune disorder. I hope you can find a rheumatologist to check you out. You are much too young to have to feel like this, and it only gets worse if you don't address it.

Best of luck.
I have a very similar problem, but the reaction didn't start until I had an apendectomy, which was shortly after I stopped my low carb diet. Up until then I could drink 10 cups a day without problem and eat 3 or more loaded plates of spaghetti. Yesterday I had a Tim Horton's Coffee, which is my usual Sunday ritual, at about 3:30 and some macaroni at 6:30. By 9:30pm I couldn't sleep. I felt like I had overdosed on caffeine. The chief complaints being jaw pain, chest pain ( down the center of my ribs) inability to get a "Good" breath (while I don't feel short of breathe per se, I do feel like every breath I take is only about 1/2 of what I need) and though my heart rate stays normal, it is pounding like my heart is ready to explode. My chest pains are almost completely muscular, but I have had some relief recently by seeing a chiropractor, and I have been to the hospital 2 or 3 times now with what was sure was a heart-attack. While this has been getting more and more frequent, I hadn't made the connection to coffe until yesterday. So today begins the rest of my life without coffee, and if that doesn't work the next step will be removing wheat from my diet.
I don't want to sound repeatative, but this was happening to me recently as well, but I learned to cut caffeine out a yr ago. The bigger question for me is I am tired and weak all the time. Does anyone have suggestions on natural forms of energy that have been effective, because anti-depressants such as wellbutrin and prozac have the same effects on me as caffeine does which I also cut out. (even headache medicine). Any suggestions would greatly help!
I quit drinking. I quit smoking. it is hard to quit caffeine. coffee was just very important when doing school work as energy drinks for working out. I think it might be heart related, because I like to run, but for a while my run time was getting worse and worse. I quit smoking and drinking. i figured the combination of cigarettes, alcohol, and caffeine i consumed per day was the reason for the panic attacks (probably didn't help). I figured quiting 2 would solve the problem. I could just work more to avoid drinking and smoking. coffee is what i use when i work and energy drinks when i work out.
For me it feels like a heart problem but it could be different.
It first happened at work and hit me like i was having a heart attack.
I can't think straight
I start to hate people (more).
My stress gets worse.
I have read that being too stimulated can make you ineffective. That stress and caffeine can push you over. For example a little coffee and a little stress can make you more effective but too much can make you ineffective.
I think it might be a little more than stress though
hi killey , actually my problem it is not exactly the same as yours but i think the have something in common ,, i was an avid coffee drinker two years ago and like your situation suddenly i cant tolerate it any more ,  i actually told all persons i now my problem but know one could help me ,, in fact this problem made me lost my friends because of anger and depressions plus the panic attack i got ,, cuz after this sensitivity has evolved i became so strange with them and depressed all the times cuz iam addicted to it and at the same time cant tolerate it !!!
my syptoms were confusion ,, concentratin inability , not friendly and happy as before actually i got depressed more and became lonely ,,
i dont know should i cut it down or reduce the dosage or what !!?? and am happy that someone had a close problem    
I originally posted back in 2010.  Well, after YEARS of being tested for EVERYTHING (gastroenterologist, endocrinologist, obgyn, urologist, neurologist, and psychiatrist -- usually 2 or 3 of each) it turned out that even though I was relatively thin I had (*have) severe sleep apnea.  No snoring.  Not fat.  

Got a c-pap machine.  Can't stand the stupid thing, so I have to take ambien to sleep with it on otherwise I rip it off in my sleep.  But after 3 months of finally sleeping through the night with this thing on MY SYMPTOMS ARE GONE.  I honestly thought I was dying.  

Just for sh++s n giggles, get tested for sleep apnea!!!  I cannot believe the answer was there the whole time, but none of 17 specialists figured it out.  They all ALL said depression and anxiety.  You know who finally suggested sleep apnea?  My THIRD psychiatrist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

I hate doctors.  So quick to wave everything away.  Except my new psychiatrist and pulmonologist -- they saved me.

Love to all........
Caffeine causes me to go crazy.
I am 23 with a 15 month old child. I have never experienced this reaction to caffeine before this year! I have been drinking energy drinks for 4 years with no problem, and now for some reason there is a problem. When I drink any kind of caffeine it affects me for over 10 hours! Jittery, anxiety, fast heart rate, cant sleep, basically I feel like a crazy person!!
Anxiety runs in my family so maybe that is triggering it. I know I need to stop drinking caffeine but it has been so normal for me to drink it for 4 years... And now I can't??

I too am confused on what caused this to happen... Maybe it was from the change in my body from having a child? I don't take any medications but I have had those vaccines.
I get similar weird sensations when I drink coffee. My heart starts racing my mind feels like it's going to explode I get jittery nauseous and just feel like im going to die over all! Went to starbucks todaly ordered a decaff coffee... about an hour later the feeling kicked in... and got worse and worse. Got home 4 hours later thought id lose my mind! It finally fades off slowly. Im guessing what I got was not decaff! I did use to have anxiety in the past but I never took any medication...
I also have been searching for remidies to my conditions that doctors can't find or assume. i have read that it might not be the caffine itself but the pesticides that are being used over abundantly to produce more coffee and money. These affect more than the insects! Don't you just love the greed in humans for money?
A few observations after reading some of the posts here (from someone who also has a caffeine intolerance, not an allergy)

I took me YEARS to figure out (maybe accept more accurate) that my anxiety and insomnia were made worse by caffeine….any caffeine. Because I had insomnia and slept worse, I had a greater need for caffeine in the morning - what a vicious cycle that I STILL fall into on occasion. The answer for me is to avoid any and all sources of caffeine and a big part of this is knowing all forms of caffeine (and other stimulants) - it is hidden in several ingredients in our food and beverages and folks should research this and know what to avoid.

Observing several other posts, I would encourage folks to think about why they need caffeine in the first place. Usually it is not sleeping well ironically due to caffeine consumption and intolerance. But….the morning sleepiness may be due to a sleeping disorder such as sleep apnea. For me, this seems to be the case. SLeep apnea leads to morning drowsiness, which leads to caffeine intake, which leads to insomnia, which combined with sleep apnea leads to even greater am sleepiness and need for continued stimulation through caffeine. What a vicious cycle! Also, sleep deprivation can lead secondarily to daytime anxiety and depression (heard these symptoms to some degree in the posts) and then those need to be treated. In addition for me, I have Periodic Limb Movement Disorder (similar to Restless Legs Syndrome) and caffeine and Aspartame (phenylalanine) make me legs go absolutly bonkers at night.

I'm not really sure where I going with all this but I guess the bottom line is to consider the NEED for caffeine as possibly a symptom of some other medical condition (like a sleep disorder). The best I can advise is that we are not going crazy, that we have REAL issues around caffeine, that some doctors are willing to work with us (try Nurse Practitioners), but that in the end, WE are responsible and have the only control over our own healthcare.

This is and has been a tough nut to crack and I wish everyone the best in their own journeys:)

p.s. I did find an article re: possible genetic relationship to caffeine intolerance  -  http://heartcurrents.com/coffee-risk-slow-metabolizer-fast-metabolizer/
Decaf coffee still has caffeine in it. It is a lot less than regular coffee, but I still react after a couple cups of decaf.
Hi Kelly,

Had been reading about caffeine intolerance and came across this page.  I have had this problem my whole life and now in my 40's.  Sinus medicine as well does the same thing.  You might want to get a hair analysis done...you may have low functioning adrenal glands.  I found this out about myself a few years ago which will also cause you to have panic attacks.  Coffee, stress, alcohol, sugar ...etc. any stimulants wreaks havoc on adrenal glands.
Sandy
I have been dealing with the same issue for awhile now. I'm sure very sure when it started as I've never been a huge coffee drinker. I didn't even start drinking it occasionally until I was in my mid-20's and had 2 kids. I already had dealt with post-partum anxiety issues, so that was there before the coffee - however I was an avid diet coke drinker, going back and forth from caffeine free to full caffeine, so maybe that played a part. I was on anti-depressants for years, then came off them and had massive panic attacks and just figured it was my system adjusting from the years of anti-depressants (turns out I wasn't depressed, just married to a bleep-hole).

After my divorce, as a single parent of 4 kids, I went back to school full time and, obviously, figured I needed some coffee to make it through a day of studies (I was 34 at the time). I would have panic attacks all day, often right in class. I never connected the 2 until my mom started having the same issues. I totally cut out caffeine for several years, and things were fine. I could have coffee occasionally, but I would sometimes react, not severely though. Then once I got my degree, I went to work full time which was more stressful than school as the hours were really long and I had to get up really early (night owl here). That and co-worker pressure caused me to start drinking coffee again. My workplace has 5 coffee shops in a minute's walk and it's just a given that we all go out for a coffee twice a day. I noticed I was starting to feel dizzy, not sleeping well, having heart palpitations (I've had an EEG and it was normal, so no issues there) so I cut out the coffee and started drinking green tea. It seemed okay but I noticed the other day I had black tea and OMG it was WORSE than the coffee, by FAR. The coffee gives me a headache and heart palpitations, but the tea makes me want to crawl out of my skin. Is there a major difference between the types of caffeine in those 2 things? I've tried it several times and it's definitely the black tea that is causing issues. Also, I seem to be okay with alcohol. If I'm having a tea episode at home, I'll have a glass of wine and it'll go away instantly. So I feel like while I'm glad to have found I'm not the only one so sensitive to caffeine, I feel like I have such a different reaction to coffee vs tea and I haven't seen anyone with that same issue so I do feel like a freak or that I'm imagining things. And, again, alcohol doesn't bother me in the least (although I must state that I come from a long line of heavy drinkers that all lived into their 90's or even over 100, so maybe that's genetic).

Anyway, just thought I'd make a post to commiserate with everyone. I spent quite some time reading the whole thread and it was very interesting.
Kelly,

My brother was diagnosed as caffeine intolerant by the National Institute of Health, and they made him a testing subject.  They have been observing these people and the ways they respond to other drugs with similar effects on those who are sensitive to caffeine.  They gave him a suspect erectile dysfunction drug, and that was the worst panic attack he'd ever had in his life, he so wanted to act out in an irrational rage.  Thank good he was in an MRI under a doc's supervision and not some workplace.  They didn't let him leave until he felt more stable.  Men are more likely to have this intolerance, but as a woman, I can say don't underestimate its potential to ruin your life.

Folks in pharmacology understand this issue.  It is a marker for folks likely to have unlikely reactions.   Caffeine was the drug that tipped them off to this differing sensitivity among similar patients which plays out across all similar drugs.

And now I just developed this same mind racing agitated paranoid hostile cycle over the past month, though now I look back it was creeping up on me...I have plenty to be glum about if I don't work on it, but am typically able to trudge along like a good soldier. But I simply fell to pieces with paranoid, circular thoughts that my husband wanted to quit me and his sister encouraged it.  Not so, but what does a panic stricken anxiety ridden fool think when they are losing it?  I walked my feet to blisters trying to expend the explosive anger.  

Then I realized I am likely suffering as my brother does.  It's nice to know I can do something about it.  Sure, it's a drag to have to give up caffeine, but I gave up tobacco, I can do it.

I read at another site where folks are coming to grips with caffeine anxiety that to go cold turkey can also antagonize the anxiety reaction for weeks if not make it worse, like giving up nicotine, so a withdrawl over time might be smarter, like one cup of green tea in the morning? I never want to feel so outside myself again...My poor family!!

About your HVP vaccine, having had cervical cancer, you are better off with this vaccine, but continue to have paps, sometimes the vaccine doesn't take.  I've not heard about this reaction to the vaccine and have been very observant since my mother died of cervical cancer at 40.  But I am post menopausal and this caffeine thing came out of the clear blue sky and rained all over my parade.  I don't think it's the shot, but who knows?

Thanks for being so brave as to start this discussion off...You saved my marriage, I hope.
I tried black tea instead of green for a morning start...worse than coffee, I agree!!
JJen,

Do you sleep well?  Many have said sleep disorders are what made them tired all the time, but ALSO consider  HYPOthyroidism. Bro is majorly, and this is why he had hair loss, exhaustion, inability to keep himself warm and something else...can't remember...Doh!
Allergy or Sensitivity or Intolerance?

When folks discuss this as laypeople, the terms we choose may not make sense to doctors. They recognize caffeine as a drug, so it is a drug reaction we are having in their mind.  But why it comes on so suddenly to some who used to guzzle the stuff is why we think "allergy."  I use drug sensitivity or intolerance when discussing this with professionals, but I read you loud and clear.

Pharmacology uses caffeine sensitivity as a marker when studying genetics and pharma reactions.  It is real, and if your doc is ignorant, tell themn to look into the National Health studies.
Wow...thanks to everyone for posting. This just happened to me.
I am a coffee aficionado so it really hurts, but there's really no choice in the matter.
It's been about two weeks and I barely miss it.
I'm choosing to think of us as superior genetic hybrids seeded by an alien race long ago. We are emerging into our True Forms. The alien race shall return to the planet soon and we will be the ones who'll be spared from being put to work in their Mines. (We will be given decent admin positions)

It gets me past realizing I'll never have chemex-brewed, single source organic Tanzanian Peaberry again

I have been going through the same thing and Drs make you feel like your crazy or a hypo.  What's happening in your body has to do with your adrenal glands.  Mine started after I had my 4th baby.  What happens is your body does not metabolize the caffeine correctly.  So if you notice, you drink the caffeine in the morning, but the afternoon your symptoms will really flare up.  Once your body starts to metabolize and break down the caffeine it surges into your bloodstream, (did you notice you got really tired right before?  The caffeine "crash") then to compensate for the caffeine your adrenals release cortisol, but so much is released because of how much caffeine is now in your bloodstream that your adrenals now have to release adrenaline to counterbalance the cortisol.  So one minute you feel like your exhausted then all of a sudden you are flushed in the face, have a racing heart, your blood pressure goes up, and so on.  So the cortisol makes you "hypoglycemic" then the adrenaline comes in and gives you a panic attack.  Basically your body builds up an immunity to the substance and now your adrenals have to work overtime.  I know everyone wants there caffeine, but there are def. safer alternatives to try and I'm sorry to say, but this probably will never reverse itself.
I also read about infections.  High cortisol amounts are related to infections.  An infection can raise your cortisol and your cortisol can be raised and the minute it lowers it exposes you to infection.  So it works both ways.  Stress is the same way.  Have you noticed that right after a very stressful situation you tend to catch a cold of some sort?  Also, for women, have you noticed around your menstruation time either right before or after you catch a cold?  I'm not saying your adrenals are bad or not working, I'm saying that it might be more than just a caffeine allergy or intolerance.  Basically, cut caffeine, lower your stress, and try to eat healthy.  Also, if you exercise more than your body can handle (even though exercising is good for you) you will release cortisol into your bloodstream.  Basically, keep a journal of your day to day activities and find a link.  It could be caffeine, stress, exercising, infections, etc... or a combination of a few.  If you tune into your body more, you will be happier in the long run.  Let me know if anyone needs more help with this.
I also have different reactions to different caffeines, but I started to keep a journal of my symptoms and noticed that it wasn't just the caffeine, it's how much sleep, exercise, stress, etc...in the day.  It has a lot to do with your adrenal glands.  Read my posts about what the adrenal glands are doing and you will understand how it all works.
My husband drank coffee for years but a few years ago decided to switch to decaf, He is now slowly trying to switch back to coffee but is not doing well. he has headaches, anxiety, face numbness...My question is this...If he continues on coffee, will these symptoms eventually go away? Does anyone know?
Hey everyone, it's me again, years later. I was 22 when I received the vaccine and am now 31; I have subsequently gotten married, birthed two children, and gone through a myriad of puzzling health problems. I'd love to tell all of you that I'M CURED! TIME HAS HEALED ME! IT'S A MIRACLE! But, alas, NO, I AM NOT CURED. I've gone through multiple odd health issues, ranging from early onset arthritis, bone spurs, chronic fatigue syndrome, mononucleiosis that knocked my on my rear-end for +6 months, along with a mysterious fluid-filled cyst that's living on the base of my brain, attached to my brain stem that was an incidental finding during an MRI of my neck and spine due to my severe neck stiffness during and after the duration of mono and my recovery. GARDASIL drastically altered the course of my life; there is no mistaking that. I have not been the same since and I will probably never be the same again. I hope that anyone out there who may be going through some hard times right now reads this and knows that there are others who, too, have suffered.
To Kelly and All.........I am 26 and in the past month have been experiencing many adverse side effects from abruptly stopping Singulair after having taken it for over a year. My body seem to tolerate it ok up until the last month I was on it. I started getting heart palpitations, anxiety, fearful thoughts and severe insomnia.  I am (was) a 2-3 cup a day coffee drinker. i was the typical single 26 year old .....working a job where drinking coffee was a regular part of my day.....loved finding new coffee houses wherever my friends and I went.....enjoying nights out having wine and drinking socially. That all ended when I stopped taking Singulair.   I can't touch caffeine or alcohol without getting heart palpitations which lead to anxiety attacks.  I realized a few days after stopping that caffeine was not my friend any longer. Then I tried wine and the panic and fearful thoughts set in.   I tried to introduce both back into my diet a few weeks ago and no luck.  I knew there was a definite connection to the allergy medication and reading these posts confirms it.   I see a new allergist in a few days and am going to share what I read here on this forum. THANK YOU TO ALL THAT HAVE RESEARCHED AND TAKEN TIME TOMPOST THEIR STORIES.   I am wondering if anyone else took an allergy medicine that caused the same.    I will post again after my dr. visit.  I pray she is receptive to what I share.   I know I what labs taken for sure.
Hi Sandy.   Could you share where you got your info on sinus meds causing these side effects.  I truly know going off Singulair has made me intolerant to caffeine , alcohol and sugar . I would appreciate any info. We're you ever on a sinus med?   Thanks.
Gabby

Hi Kelly. I am having similar problems. Even decaf teas and coffees seem to be doing it to me now.  I also have anxiety. Mine seems to have started after taking my blood pressure meds for a few years now. This horrible feeling comes over me that I can't describe like I'm going to drop dead and my blood pressure goes sky high. I'm just now starting to research if this could be what my problem is. If you find out any information on this please let me know.  
I developed a strong caffeine intolerance just after having my second son. Sadly I enjoy coffee. Even enjoying the sniff of many friends Espresso Martinis had me nauseous, jittery and twitching all night with no sleep. I and another doctor friend discussed once how having green tea and msg in a Chinese restaurant sent me so far off the planet I had to go to a doctor and get an injection to stop me literally jumping out of my seat. Very frightening. Experience has taught me it is definitely msg and caffeine together. We had both experienced the same problem and worked it out together. Never to be repeated again!
OMG I can't describe my feelings i'm just so glad that i found someone who has the same problem as me  i was so worried about that,whenever i drink coffee i feel anxious and nervous ,i feel like i'm going to die or lose my mind it's hard to describe it, it's just horrible .
for everyone who had the same experience did you go to a doctor ??