Allergy Community
Chlorine Allergy??????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Chlorine Allergy??????

Over the summer I visited two water parks.  After the first visit I suffered some swelling in my lips. The second time my lips swole again and my skin broke out in a rash.  I spent more time in the water the second time.  I also applied sunscreen lotion.   I went to doctor and received meds for swelling and itching.  Here it is two weeks later and the rash is still there.  Can I be allergic to chlorine? What caused the rash? How long does is take to heal from chlorine reactions? Are more meds needed?
Welcome to the forum!
The allergy could be due to chlorine. However chlorine usually causes asthma like symptoms. In a water park, it could possibly be a water burn—which is like sunburn. It could also be pressure urticaria due to water sprays hitting the body. It could be allergy to any pollutant in the water or an allergy to your sunscreen too. It is really difficult to comment. Please consult an allergy specialist regarding this.
Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

My 15 year old son gets hives after every shower that last about 30 minutes.... This is a question for any and all of you on this site( looks like at least 10+ of you with similar condition).. How many of you are getting a  scratchy throat or trouble swallowing or short of breath, or any other internal/systemic symptom after you take a shower.  He's had this aquagenic urticaria for about 8 months now and I am just worried it is going to progress to anaphylaxis like internal/ symptoms.  SO any response is appreciated.
Are any of you affected folks getting other than skin symptoms when exposed to the shower/ water?
From.. concerned mother123 .  Thank you in advance for your response.   CM123