Coughing when laying down
Whenever I lay on my back for any length of time (more than 30 minutes), such as to watch a movie, I begin having coughing fits that last about 10 or 15 minutes and sometimes cough up phlegm, like what happens when one has a cold.  I've been told I have non-allergic rhinitis and I have some allergies, but I am not around allergens when these "fits" happen. Are these episodes anything I should be concerned about?

There are some questions for you?:
1. have you had similar conition sin the past?
2. what is you age and sex?
3. how long have you had allergies?
4. are you on any medications?
5.have you had nasal/chest infections? any h/o sinusitis?

From what can be gathered from your post here, it seems this condition needs attention for sure. You may need to be eevaluated for other posible allergens, since allergies do get a little worse on lying down. However, there are other conditions of the respiratory and cardiovascular system which may need investigation. Coughs on lying down may also indicate some irritation to the lungs and thoracic cavity, by infections. This may require some investigation like a chest x-ray.

Therefore, it is important that you see your doctor and get this investigated completely.

Meanwhile, if you may have any other concerns, please let us know.

All the best
In response to your questions:

1. have you had similar conditions in the past?
I've had this problem for at least a year or two - I don't really think about it much, except when it happens (thankfully I don't watch a lot of tv or movies!)

2. what is you age and sex?
I'm a 47 y/o female

3. how long have you had allergies?
I've was diagnosed with allergies about 7 or so years ago. I came up positive for dust mites, but I currently live in a very dry community (less than 25% humidity inside) so I've been told dust mites can't survive. I'm not allergic to anything else inside (except cats...but I don't have one).

4. are you on any medications?
Just synthroid

None of these. But I do have a chronic post-nasal drip that I believe is the non-allergic rhinitis.

This could most probably be post nasal drip associated with the chronic sinusitis that you mention you have. when you lie down, phlegm or mucus trickles down from your nose into your throat which could be causing your symptoms.

Are yu breathless too when lying down? That would point towards a cardiac cause for your symptoms.

Let us know about the chest xray and CT scan of your sinuses reports.

You should try some steam inhalation, saline nasal drops, and oral antihistamne medications and see if it helps with your symptoms.

Keep us posted on how you are doing and if you have any doubts.

Regards.
i'm 21 years old, and every time i lie down i get this sort of pinch in my throat which causes me to dry cough and brings tears to my right eye. this has been going on for a couple of months now and i'm not too sure what it could be. I also had a severe case of asthma growing up as a kid. Once i hit puberty, the asthma was gone. Let me know if there are any suggestions that can b brought to my attention.
-Irene