Allergy Community
Hair Dye Allergy and Painful Swelling?!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Hair Dye Allergy and Painful Swelling?!

I just dyed my hair the other day at an Aveda salon. My hair line is extremely swollen and painful and the glands behind my ears are as well. They are sore to the touch and honestly kind of lumpy! -- am I in any danger? Will this just go away? Should I be worried? It's been about 48 hours since I dyed my hair.
Thanks!

You could take some oral antihistamine or antiallergic medications like loratadine or cetrizine and see if it helps with your symptoms. Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions to help soothe the itching.

Have you had allergic reactions in the past? Are you allergic to any specific substances?

You should consult your doctor about whether steroid medications are required and you should rush to the ER if you feel that the symptoms are increasing.

Talk to your doctor if you need to carry an epi-pen and try to avoid substances that you have documented allergic reactions to.

Let us know about how you are doing and post us about what your doctor advises.

Regards.
Hi , I now have the same problem you had after dying my hair, all the same synmtoms , I was just wondering when it subsided for you
thanks
I now know how to get rid of the the selling burning scalp fairls fast, You have to use 2%hydrogen peroxide and baby shampoo on the effected areas of the scalp. the peroxide will neutralize the PPD that is in your scalp and on your hair,You will then have a lesss reactions, you have to do this twice a day for 2 days , also some baby cortisone helps after you wash, Twice a day
I had severe reactions to all salon hair color treatments and over the counter hair colorings.  I am Asian and hated the gray in my black hair.  I constantly tried new treatments and talked to several specialists and they recommended different hair colorings that did not work.  One day I found a new one that I had not tried, it is Natural Match from L'oreal.   This is the first hair color that has worked for me and I hope it will help others.  
Hi Everyone yes I have found a PPD free hair dye that will not cause an allergic reaction.  It is not in the uk but you can get UK delivery on their site the delivery is not cheap BUT the Fact is that its safe to use so it is very much worth the money.  Once converted its about £35.00.  

Here are the details.

Advanced Cosmetic Technologies Permanent Hair Coloring Kit: This kit is PPD-, resorcinol- and ammonia-free, and uses vegetarian, plant-based dyes to permanently fix color. Also available: color protecting shampoo and conditioner, and semi-permanent tinting kits.

You can find reviews all over that confirm its SAFE.

I have done months of research trying o find a safe hairdye & this is the first i have know.

I have found people who are severly allergic to PPD & has used this with no reaction at all.

Let me know what you think
Hi , i to developed an allergy to ppd .. out of the blue ..all the usual symptoms and a treatment of steroids followed. After searching the net ( not wanting to grey at 40 ) i tried the Sureya range ( liquid form easy to apply bottle and many colours).. It worked a treat . Says has no ppd or amonia (ammonia) and after a very wary first trial ( and many uses since) i have to say i have no reactions . It is only a semi -permanent colour made of natural products but covers grey better than i had hoped and i am pleased with the results ... also makes hair feel lovely and shiny .I think Sureya has its own site or it is availabe through a site called Topleaf and have also brought it from Amazon before . Generally priced around £18 per bottle but .... i usually manage to get 4 applications from a bottle ( each application last 4-6 weeks).. Hooray for Sureya
How long does the rash and pain last, I dyed my hair twice after I had a reaction.. did not know it was my dye because I did not have any problems until a few weeks after I did it. 2 er's ear doctor, skin doctor and my primary and nobody knew what it was. I figured it out myself from this web site. It has been 2 months and I don't know how much more I can take.. contant rash and hives , iching and pain.. Please can someone tell me when it goes away... andy input would be great..
I have been in your situation.  Please visit a medical provider immediately and get relief from a prescription steroid.  I have had this experience and had to have shots plus an oral pack.  Mine pain, itching, and oozing extended beyond my face and scap down my shoulders, back and chest.   I was ill feeling for weeks.   Please research the PPD allergy and avoid exposure again.   There have been fatalities to this allergy.

I've been on tons of antihistamines and steroids for 4 weeks now after hair dye allergy. I'm still swollen and look like I have the measles if I let the meds wear off without taking more right away. I've missed 6 days of work so far and can't stand much more of this! Hair dressers and FDA should warn people that hair dye allergy can occur any time. My hairdresser swears she used the same formula she'd been using on me for years. However, 4 weeks ago I suddenly became extremely allergic. Like I said  -it's been 4 weeks now and I still have red, itchy hives on my face, neck, shoulders, and sometimes even stomach and back. It is horrible!
Never mind the hair dye.  What kind of glands do you have back there behind your ears, and what do you do with them?
I have slowly developed a allergie to ppd. This is my second round of steroids in two years as I foolishly thought with extreme care I could dye my hair...boy was I wrong!! Any advise on what to do with the thick scrabs on my ears?? Is it better to was them off with warm water or let them dry out??
Hi just had an reaction to hair dye 2 days ago and have blisters on my neck,ears and forehead. Doctor told me not to wash my hair for a few days because the warm water will open the pores and may cause a infection. Im using cortisone cream applying it 3 times a day it will dry the blisters up Im also taking prednisone 40 mg a day for 5 days. Hope it will help to get rid of this bad rash. Doctor gave me 3 days off work but told me it could take up to 2 weeks to heal.  
I dyed my hair on Saturday and Sunday evening my scalp was itchy. Monday morning I stood up with swollen glands in my neck and behind my ears. This is a common side effect from hair dye. You can use a certain brand for years and suddenly one day you develop an allergy to that brand. You can feel whoozy too and a slight headdache. It's better to use a colour without amoniac.
I used Clairol's Loving Care for years - kept the roots dark and gave body to the bulk of my long black hair.  Temporary - no amonia (ammonia) - no problems.
Last year I had a severe allergic reaction to a salon semi permanent color application (red scalp for two weeks; small hives; swollen face); this year I tried Clairol's Natural Instincts which is a semipermanent that replaced the discontinued Loving Care - same bad results.
This week I did a skin patch test of Garnier'HerbaShine with bamboo extract - within six hours my inner arm swelled up and is red and blotchy. I have steroids and antihistamines to deal with it, but I need help finding something that was good as Loving Care that doesn't cause this reaction.
I see someone has recommended a L'Oreal product - any other experiences or recommendations, and also what to look for to avoid on the product content list?  Thank you  PJD
I realize this comes a few years too late but for anyone else that may visit this site with similar problems this might be helpful.  

First of all I too have recently suffered from an allergic reaction to hair dye.  I have been coloring my hair for 29 years with no problems what so ever, until now.  I went to my salon and had it colored black which I have since found out is the most common color to cause allergic reactions.  It has a higher level of PPD.  My reaction which I thought was severe was instead I've discovered only a mild case.  I had red blisters all over my scalp and my hair line was swollen and the lower part of my head was swollen so bad it hurt to move my head.  The itching and burning were horrible and never ending but the more I itched the worse it burned.

Finally after 4 days of this I went to my GP and he immediately put me on prednisone.  This was a God send.  The itching lessened almost immediately and the swelling started to go down as well.  This is my second day of taking it and everything is very comfortable now.  I still have the red blisters but they are healing quickly.  

Like I said, it's the PPD that people react to so if you can get something without it, (and it's out there) you're much better off.  As for me, I'm a natural blonde so I'm preparing myself for the skunk look as it grows out..yuck!  

I also wanted to mention that if you use box colors at home and then go to a salon, please please please tell them what you used.  Box colors such as Garnier contains a form of sulfate that can cause chemical reactions with salon products and not only burn your scalp but can cause your hair to melt and or fall out!!  

Why we do this to ourselves I don't know but I'm just as guilty as the next person... but as for me, I'm going natural color or hypoallergenic dye.

If it does happen to you, ask your Dr. for prednisone!!  It works soooo fast!  Hope this helps someone someday.  Happy coloring!
Hey guys I've been through this ONE too many times... yes it's sort of stupid of me but I've been dying my hair for 10 years and have never had an allergic reaction, so it took about 4 times of changing dye brands for me to realize I'm allergic to PPD in general. duh! BUT the advantage to all of my misery is now I have all kinds of tips to help anyone else without medical insurance out there get through this terrible ordeal! So here goes:

1. CORTIZONE10 cream and Benadryl are your best friends.

2. Clean the area with hydrogen peroxide at least twice a day... yes it's gonna hurt, but only for a few seconds, and it's worth it. You have to keep it as clean as possible.

3. SHOWERING DOES NOT HELP. Yes of course you need to shower occasionally, but it took me a while to realize that hot water on the area only feels (really really) good while you're in there. It's only gonna make it worse. Wash maybe every other day, with Dial antibacterial soap and the coolest water you can stand.

4. Try to keep the area dry... keep your hair up and out from behind your ears.

5. Calamine lotion will dry up any oozing from infection. I had this a lot behind my ears. Just drip it on and let it dry and make sure to not let it get on your clothes!

6. Bedtime is a dreadful time. I found the following to help a lot: Make sure to take Benadryl about an hour before bed. Clean the rash really well and cake on the cortizone. I found that folding up a couple squares of toilet paper and tucking it behind the ears helps, as far as itching and dripping and it keeps the cortizone from rubbing off on your pillow. ICE THE CRAP OUT OF your neck, ears, etc to numb it so it doesn't go crazy when you hit the pillow! And try to sleep on a towel or change pillow cases often.

7. Don't use any kinds of petroleum jellies; vaseline or neosporin... these will lock in moisture and you want to dry the area out. neosporin can be helpful but make sure to use the Cream kind.

Thanks to the person with the info on the PPD free hair dye. I was devastated when I thought I'd have to grow out my staple black hair.
REMEMBER TO TELL YOUR FRIENDS TO STOP OVERLOOKING THE ALLERGY TEST! No one is immune! lol
Hope this helps.. I just know it worked for me... Hang in there, happy healing!
Thank you so much sassykat" ur info is of great help coz I sure dont medical insurance. My symptoms were rather quick (2days) from the ppd allergic reaction!...but ooh boy! I learnt my lesson after using Revlon colorsilk black.
I recently had a reaction to hair dye and I am still burning and itching. I received 5 days of prednisone and I am still itching and my mouth is burning. My already hot flashes has gotten worse and I am not sure why. I think I am going to go back to the Dr. to get more prednisone because the itching is coming back. I need to feel better quick my birthday is in five days and I am graduating from college with my master degree. Thanks guys for the listening ear because I think my husband is tired of my not feeling so good. I know he is just worried too.
I have just consulted a specialist and she believes (although it is not noted in any medical journals) that until the dye is completely out of your hair, you will continue to suffer from symptoms.  You either need to cut the dye out of your hair as quickly as possible or make sure that it does not touch your face at all.  As your hair only grows about 1cm per month, this can take time.  Good luck to you and let me know how it goes.
I had my first reaction during what was a particularly cold winter and endured the worst weeks of incredible pain with aloe vera (the plant, not the store-bought stuff), iodine and saline solutions for the swelling and wounds around my ear and well - anything I could lay my hands on really ... so long as it was a natural remedy.  It healed well enough and I coloured my hair again ... not as bad a reaction as the first one - but a reaction none the less ... That pretty much resolved for me that I was indeed allergic.  So I thought I would change the brand, DO the allergy test and because there was no immediate reaction thought it was safe ... WRONG ... I too went and sought advice from a hair salon - the $70 (NZ) I spent on the recommended shampoo and conditioner has done nothing to relieve the constant itching and now I'm finding I'm actually losing strands of hair at a phenomonal rate and am off to the doctor's tomorrow ... I now look at women who colour their hair and think - 'it's just a matter of time' ... I am lucky enough to have a partner that has said he'll love me with the grey and is prepared to buy wigs if need be (lol) But the past few months I wouldn't wish on anyone ... The advice on this page is great, but more importantly the support you can find and especially those that are willing to share their stories helps too ... You're not alone ladies and there is no shame in what has happened to you ... If anything, I'd like to see these companies front up with remedies! I've read that when you reach your tolerance (and each of us has a different tolerance) there WILL be a reaction ... I'm looking at Henna (the natural one) IF I decide I'll colour again ... Heal quickly lovelies!
I just got back from getting an Dexamethasone Injection because of an allergic reaction to Revlon Colorsilk.  I have always had very slight reactions to almost every hair color I use, but never like this! My face is very swollen at the temples, and my neck is so swollen I couldnt even turn my head when I was driving to the doctor. Needless to say I will be on prednisone for awhile. The doctor said this is more common with black hair dye and that this isnt going to go away anytime soon . I look like an Alien!
I have terrible allergies to begin with so when I developed an allergy to hair dye I wasn't surprised, but I was devastated. My hair was coming out from the root, I had headaches and my scalp tingled and itched constantly. I found a chemist/hair stylist on the internet who advised that I use Malibu 2000 undo goo clarifying shampoo. It worked great. I washed my hair several times and let the shampoo sit on my scalp for 10 minutes or so during first wash to remove as much PPD's as possible. By the next day all the itching, tingling and headaches had subsided. Also if you want to color your hair DO NOT USE HENNA!! It also contains a great deal of allergen properties and most Henna made in the US has been contaminated with other chemicals that may cause a similar reaction. The one option I found is the best alternatives and it is Sebastian Cellophanes. They do not contain any oxidating chemicals and most of all they do not contain PPD's of any kind. Below is a list of PPD's related chemicals:  phenylenediamine, benzenediamine, aminoaniline dihydrochloride, Rodol, Ursol, Orsin, p-methylaminophenol, 6-hydroxyindole and Isatin. Read everything and be very careful. Cellophanes only add color so they are not suitable for people who want to lighten. However for those who just want to brighten our natural color and COVER GREY, its a healthier option. Good luck!!

j
Hi!  I am also asian and recently discovered that I am allergic to hair dye (professional and over the counter).  Just wanted to see if the Natural Match Loreal is still working out for you or if if developed any allergies.

Thank you.
Last week within 5 hours of coloring my hair, my scalp was feeling dry and itchy. I used a product from Clairol Beautiful Collection, no ammonia, no peroxide, advanced solution for grey hair. Knowing I am allergic to hair dye, started to wash my hair to get all the residue out of my hair. Two hours later my whole head was on fire and itchy. Started putting ice and taking anti histamine, it gave me a little relief. Then I noticed my head is swollen. Four am in the morning, went to the ER. The doctor gave me steroid pills to take there and Prescription for Atarax (hydroxyzine) for itching and Cephalexin for bacterial infection. It helped with the itching and burning but the swelling got worse. The swelling moved to my face and eyes. Day 3, I couldn't open my eyes which got better after couple of hours. Stopped taking Atarax after I read the side effects and allergic reaction that could happen are itching and swelling in the face. I am not sure if the swelling in my face was from this medicine or hair color.
I have been using this product Beautiful Collection for few months with no problems, but the first time using (same product)with advanced Grey Solution. My point is to do a patch test if you know you are allergic and have been using basically the same product.  It is day 6 and swelling is almost gone from my face and I noticed a rash with tiny white heads on my forehead. Would this go away? Help!
I had same issue and have never had a problem with hair dye before.  All this happened back in February.  I even today still have swelling in my face it seems.  Like someone mentioned above, I do believe that it will not subside until my hair has grown out.  I did find a no PPD hair color and it is also gluten free.  EcoColors hair color.  Please do a allergy test before use.  I have not had any complaints with their color.  Here is their website:  https://www.ecocolors.net
Thanks so much for the info, as I am suffering right now with the same symtoms (symptoms).
I can sure relate to that feeling , it is aweful and I feel like I am having a second degree burn.
I can only use L'Oreal Excellence Creme.  That's the only one I have never had a reaction to.
The glands behind my ears and half way down my neck get very sensitive and almost feel bruised and getI a slight headache after every time I dye my hair. This has been happening for a year or so but it lasts no more than a few hours usually.
I to have an allergy to hair dye . It start in my lymp nodes in my neck and head . They didn't know at first in was the hair dye . So had surgery cut two of them out to test for cancer. Then rashes all over my body . Still didn't know . Then the swellen in face ,my head ,and neck. Finally I REALIZE it was me dying my hair . Everytime I would dye my hair ( at home ) more and symptoms would show up !!! Now I know !!! But I'm having a hard time finding a hair dye without PPD in it !!!
They are lymph glands and everyone has them, horse's patootie.
I colored my hair on Nov. 22nd with the Just For Men shampoo-in haircolor. Within 12 hrs I experienced itching and a burning sensatation. After 3 days I began to wash my hair ...in cold water an avg of 3 times a day to try and get rid of the growing symptoms I was experiencing. By the 7th day my ears were raw on the back sides and weeping a clear fluid. This continued for 5 days.....the weeping non-stop, hair matting to ears, rawness, and my ears swelled to about 1 1/2 times their normal size.
After visiting my doctor, and seeing his shock at my condition, he gave me a steriod injection, and prescriptions for very powerful Amoxicillin, Steriod foam topical ointment and a hydrocortisone 1% solution.
Week two involved sores on my neck, arms and on one leg ...but the worst sores were like boils above my right ear and on top of my head.  Today marks 3 weeks and 5 days and I still have knots on my head like boils, and places on the back of my neck that are large bumps similar to a very large mosquito bite.
I will be returning to my doctor within the next 2 days, and really do not see the end of this tunnel yet. I am sleeping again.......without having to rest my head on the curled up ends of my fingers, and the steriod foam stopped the weeping and burning behind my ears within 4 days. I guess I am lucky, as I have only missed about 5 days of work, and my insurance paid most of the $500.00 worth of ointments needed.
I did forget to mention, my lymph gland below my right ear is still swelled, but I guess I'm getting used to it.
I say all this because, I too was unaware of the severe effects of PPD on those who have developed an allergy to it.  It is far more than an irritant and in researching I realize now....that it can KILL YOU ...if you keep using it.
My sympathy to all who have used it and especially those who had a severe reacton. For the remainder of my life I will remember the suffering it has caused me, not to mention the embarrassment and sickness and will do everything I can to tell others about it and work for a ban in the USA.
Everytime you see a young looking SILVER-HAIRED man please think of me, as that is what I will be...... if I live thru this PPD poisoning.

Jimmy
I have had these reactions and had to go to ers as well. This time it has been 3 wks and the extent of swelling,oozing and pain has been unbelievable.  Prescribed levaqin and clyndmycin with no relief,I fact became worse. Going to pcp tomorrow.
Dear God I understand what you are going thru. I have had my reactions since 12/18/12 and today is Jan 2nd. I am miserable. Have taken everything I can and researched this to death, The itching has even extended to my entire body. My scalp is so sore I can barely do my hair. Thank God I am a stay at home wife or I would be mortified to even leave my house. My eyes are red and itchy, EVERYTHING is itchy! I pray that this will end. I too am making everyone I can aware of this very common terrible issue. I hope you are doing well now. I tell you when I read your story the first time I laughed so hard I cried but the tears became real because I am no longer sure exactly what the heck I can do to end this.
Just to update you on my condition.......following my previous post I returned to my regular doctorand was examined by him, his nurse and the lab tech from the clinic at which he practiced out of. They were literally in shock that a hair dye could make someone so sick. I was told at that time I now had a staph infection and placed on a 14 day prescription of a sulfa-drug antibotic (antibiotic) to stop the staph infection and a regimen of washing and bathing with Hibiclens anti-bacterial soap. I continued to get new boils from the infection for about 9 days at which time I developed Flu-like symptoms .....
The Flu is going around now and my granddaughters had just been sick the week before I saw them at Christmas. My family came by for a few hours on Dec 22nd and I had warned them all I had a Staph infection and to not expect the customary hugs/ kisses due to my fear they would catch the staph.
  9 days into the latest anti-biotic treatment I started feeling Flu-like with a constant headache, aching muscles, fatigue, running a 100 degree temp., and my legs both felt like they had been beat. I had suffered pinched nerves in the past few years and thought I had hurt my back again and that I had caught the Flu, also. After 3 days of getting progressively worse, not sleeping for the leg pain, and also starting to develope vision and comprehension problems a dear friend of mine asked me to Google in the antibiotic and read the side effects.
The side effects were listed in catagories as normal side effects, severe side effects and a last section on fatalities. I realized at 11:15PM that I had 4 severe effects and 2 in the fatalities range. I quickly dressed and drove 25 miles to the nearest E.R. and was immeadiately processed, placed in a holding room and after seeing the attending nurse and M.D.,.....placed on an I.V. and injected with Benydryl and a type of steriod  to counter-act the reactions I was having from the Sulfa type antibiotic.
By noon the next day I felt like a new man..........and was even hyper- active for the next 2 days. I slept only 2 hours that next night and went to work and later that evening went and played music with some friends and did a 4 hour New-Years show.
I have been able to sleep since and the 12 days of Sulfa antibiotocs seems to have stopped the staph.
New Years day I thanked God I was feeling better and was able to actually enjoy resting most of the day.
Today is Wed. , the 2nd, and the bumps on the back of my neck are itching again .....and I'm trying not to scratch them for fear of a recurring staph.

I hope this information is helpful to everyone who reads this and in some way may give you  hope and insight into this nightmare.
Wow! I am shocked. I too saw some improvement after two weeks and that was false hope. My ears began bleeding, weeping, and itching and opened up again meaning that the skin became raw. I am now getting the dermatitis under and above my eyes, its miserable.I haven't returned to my doc or the ER because frankly the above woman who suggested Benadryl, Calamine Lotions, and something elkse, I forget is actually working. I'm just crazy that it won't seem to permanently go away. This is NOT a joking matter and I have no way to describe the misery that I am in. I hope you continue to do better. Its heart breaking to hear how you had to spend the holidays basically quarantined from your family. I pretty much did the same because I've been so miserable I just couldn't enjoy anyone. This product chould be banned. It is lethal and unimaginable the suffering that it can cause. Please anyone who is reading continue to make your friends, loved ones, and even strangers aware. Thanks for the reply! Happy Healing! And thank you for responding!
It would appear all my issues are due to hair dye, also.  I get my hair colored at a salon - the gray is covered and some blonde is worked in.  When I orginally went to the dr I had no clue.  I had a very itchy scalp- was diagonosed as having a  "hair folicle infection" and was perscribed a sulfa drug.  I started getting extreme allergic reactions (hives all over my body) about a week into the regimen.  I stopped the sulfa drug- was told the scalp issue had gone away (no obvious swelling, it just still itched.) Unfortunately I had my hair colored again a couple of days later.

The scalp issue came back and I had bumps all over my back-  Now I'm taking tetracycline for the "hair folicle infection".  It might have made a difference, but I'm not sure there was particular improvement.  I had been given a very expensive ointment for my back- and I concentrated on not scratching - and it healed up (although it still itches some.)

I think it's all allergy and it sounds like future hair color is very dangerous at this point.  I'm not sure how I will deal with it as I have a public life and have to look good- My brown hair with big swatches of gray would look very strange.

Thanks for the ideas everyone- I guess I'm very fortunate compared to what some of you have gone through- but it certainly is miserable!  I did find the hydrogen peroxide helped a little.

Good luck everyone!
Ann
I dyed my hair with an off the shelf For Men dye and i started having the hives and itching 10 days later. It has been 6 weeks and I still have them off and on throughout the whole body. I apply 1% hydrocortisone to the affected areas. Went to the doctor and he mentioned most likely an allergic reaction to the dye but had me also do a blood test for lupus since the symptoms are common. Blood report came negative so I am relieved but the hives are still around. I am thinking of getting a oral prescription of benadryl or prednisone to get relief from these hives. Sometimes they appear on the face, eyelids, neck and it is very embarrasing.
I am not sure if this will continue until all my dyed hair grow out and I get them cut.  I will not dye my hair again but now I do not know when the hives and itching will stop. Anyone out there know how they resolved this.
Hi I dyed my hair 2 days ago and since then I've had a pus like substance weeping from all over my scalp & my ears & neck are red & blotchy. The rash is itchy & sore to touch & the skin on my ears has gone red & dry. Help!
I just got prescription of Prednisone 10mg and also over the counter Zyrtec 10mg to take orally for the next 4 days. After the first doze, all my hives and bumps are gone. I thing the immune system goes crazy when my skin comes in contact with an allergen and as per the doctor, the above medications help reset the false alarm in the immune system with the Antihistamine and also with the Prednisone.

Please see a doctor and get advise. I lived with the hives and itching rashes for almost a month and I finally had enough. THe doctor said I should have started the prescriptions as soon as the symptoms showed up to treat this condition instead of wiating.

Hope this advise works for you. After researching this dye issue further, I realized that people have severe allergies to chemicals in various dyes. Do a 48 - 72 hr skin test in the future and also try not to have the dye ever touch your skin. Wash the hair off in a sink or at at a hair dressure instead of showering after applying the dye.

Best of luck.
I have used the Clairol perfect 10 for several years.i have been coloring my hair for close to 30 years and all of a sudden i have reactions to this hair color.itching scalp like crazy! bumps all over my head and behind my ears.it lasted for weeks.i didn't realize it was the hair color and used it again.But this time i used a med dark brown instead of a darkest brown.The reaction wasn't as bad but still itched alot.Then i used Clairol Natural instincts Vibrant #4 Still itchy on the scalp and behind the ears which is really hard for me as i wear glasses.I haven't colored in weeks and my hair is getting silver right down the middle.I know it's just vanity and i'm 52,but i have really smooth almost wrinkle free skin and this is so distressing to me! i'm afraid to color again but i miss my dark hair and this patch of grey in the middle and now temples is driving me to wear a hat all day long.Their must be something that is natural and organic that i can use that won't KILL ME.please someone must know of something i can get here in CANADA,that will work.
Thank you to all for your advises. I've been coloring my hair for 30 years due to grey hair. I've never experienced this allerdic reaction so terrible like this last time. I colored my hair at a salon which I've been going to for several months already, must say that the product did make my scalp itch a lot more than before. Nevertheless I was so happy with the color, cut and service I figured some itch is well worth it. Well, on Thursday I had my roots done a light highlight and an hour later I found myself scratching.  Friday came around as the itching was uncontrollable. Couldn't sleep a wink found myself with my scalp pounding, itching like crazy, headache and lumps around my neck and behind my ears not to mention swollen face (I didn't need botox) decide to put ice packs allover my head and
Sorry didn't finish, so I jumped in a cold shower first thing in the morning grabbed my laptop and began searching, and I came across this awesome website. I've been taking Claritin during day, benadryl to sleep plenty of ice for swollen areas and this is the best part for the crazy itchy scalp. Aloe Vera plant opened and crushed inside with honey and a capsule of benadryl opened put al over the scalp and left for 3 hours washed off with cool water no shampoo nor conditioner brushed and let air dry. Oh what a relief. Swelling is gradually going down, the only thing I notice not changing quick enough is the bumps in neck and behind the ears. Thanks again for all your postings  
I have been using 15W warm brown of the clairol beautiful collections without any incidents.  But as soon as I go to the shop and the tech puts in rich dark brown from the grey beautiful collections my hair went from brown to black and the tingling, itching and swelling around ears neck and head began.  I used prednisone, cortisoid 10, aloe vera juice to combat swelling and itching.  Head feels a great deal better neck starting to go back to natural color from the purple it turned. And this was Saturday.
Just warning you before you read, some of what I went through is pretty gross.

I am so glad I found this thread last night. I too had a bad reaction to dying my hair black with the same brand and color I have used at least twice before. It has been 12 days since I have colored my hair and it has been hell!

The first two days I was fine. Then on the third day at lunchtime I noticed an angry red rash along my temples that spread to my cheeks by the evening along with a little swelling in the upper left eyelid. I woke up the next morning with my eye half swollen shut and the rash was itchy. Day 5 I woke up with my entire eye swollen and most of my face. I went to the ER where I was given a 5-day prenidsone prescription that helped with the swelling.The swelling went away only to return after I stopped the prenidsone and this time it was my right ear. Let's not even mention the withdrawals I had from the steriod, really don't want to go through that again either.

Now on top of the swelling, I have weeping sores all over my scalp, neck, and ears. By the way, hot or warm showers make it worse as the others have said. The weeping was so bad last night it soaked 3 tshirts and my pillowcase had black coloring all over it.I just discovered a towel turban is my friend to help with the weeping.

I did some research and found that the PPD or whatever is causing my reaction is not something that is going to go away in a week or even two. I cannot imagine waiting this out. It's in my hair and it doesn't just wash out. And there is no way am I going to use some other chemicals to strip the color.

SO this morning I gave myself a buzz cut. I am hoping if the hair is gone that the rest will clear up with some over the counter remedies like the calamine, benadryll, and cortisone. Wish me luck. I will check back and give an update if it works.  
on taper of prednisone, now 10 mg twice day, just finished the 20 mg twice a day for the five days. was told by allergists a ppd allergy can come on at any time...mine started 5 weeks after my last dye job. I suffered with the rash full body and dripping of histamine on my clothes, stuck to pillows at night. The histamine allergic response was so high my heart was pounding, panic attacks, shivering, and profuse sweating. 3 doctors including a dermatologist did not make the connection to an allergy. The patch test just about put me over the edge, my back looked like hamburger. From what was exp;ained to me by the allergy center, everyone rids their body of this in their own time...the benadryl and other antihistamines will help curtail the itching. I cannot get thru the night more than 4 hours without eating more benadryl still. I no longer am eating half a pill to get thru 45 minutes thankfully, perhaps only due to the steroids. I lost track of days and time from the benadryl, but it probably saved me from anaphylactic shock. I've read other reports of 6 weeks, already past that, to 5 months for the itching and hives to subside fully. I feel fortunate not to have gone into anaphylactic shock. or gone blind, or gone into a coma as others have. I believe I have the cross allergy now to the caine drugs as well. The docs are waiting for my condition to calm down before further allergen testing.
So sorry for your severe reaction.  As we are going on our first big vacation in cozumel (all inclusive resort) colored my hair and my husband decided he needed the same and bought the same product you used.  Lathered it in last night and he suffered all night without waking me.  Called me from his job to mine stating he was miserable, face head and chest burning and itching and flakes coming off.  I went to Walmart to get benydryl and cortizone cream but as soon as he got home I could see his face was fire red and swollen with multiple wounds from scratching.  He has a beard so his face head and for good measure his chest hair was dyed.  As soon as soon as I saw him we headed straight for the nearest urgent care where he was given a steroid injection and scripts for prednisone and steroid cream.  The Dr said he sees this a lot. and said it would get worse before it gets better-and we leave in 4 days for our long anticipated vacation,  Should have read the fine print and did the allergy test but I don't know how they can sell a product  like this!!!!
Oh my goodness !! Im so glad that I found this site ! I have been battling horrible hives and swelling for over A YEAR now !! Ive gone to see my family doctor and my allergy specialist, and have been on boocoodles of medications to get rid of it and nothing works. I have relief while on the medication, but literally the next day once im done with it the hives start to come back. I just realized today that I could be having an allergic reaction to hair bleach. After reading all of your statements im almost convinced that's what my problem is. However, im planning on going home and dying my hair back brown to get the bleach out. Do any of you have any suggestions ? Also, how long did it take for your reactions to clear up after removing the bleach from your hair ?
I am going through this now. I simple did the root touch up kit (I have done several times before)  The next morning my scalp was oozing and my face started swelling.  24 hours after, my forehead and eyes were so swollen I looked like an alien.  I followed all the things everyone said, I took benedryl, put on calimine lotion and got cortozone.  Nothing worked, after 36 hours my eyes were swollen shut.  I got into my dermotologist and they gave a bunch of steroid shots in my scalp and then gave the steriods.  It is now 48 hours and it is worse,  The dermotologist told me it will take about 48 hours after starting the steriods for me to notice the difference., I can't go to work or drive - I can barely see.  This is so bad - I will be grey the rest of my life instead of go through this again.
Yes I dyed my hair with clariol Natural instincts midnight black, and 2 days later my scalp was on fire, my throat swelled, and I was itchy all over. I got put on predisone for 4 days, and 2 days after that I am back on more prednisone, for another 3 days. I am on benadryl and washing with dawn soap, and soaking with peroxide, I am so itchy , now my underarms, pubic area, arms and neck are so itchy. I am never dying my hair again! I hope this doesnt last too much longer, for this really is annoying. probably going to get some zyrtec i need relief!! arghhhhh
Yes I dyed my hair with clariol Natural instincts midnight black, and 2 days later my scalp was on fire, my throat swelled, i had lumps on my neck, rash  and I was itchy all over. I got put on predisone for 4 days, and 2 days after that I am back on more prednisone, for another 3 days. I am on benadryl and washing with dawn soap, and soaking with peroxide, I am so itchy , now my underarms, pubic area, arms and neck are so itchy. I am never dying my hair again! I hope this doesnt last too much longer, for this really is annoying. probably going to get some zyrtec i need relief!! arghhhhh
this is an awful reaction. I had this reaction once to black dye but never light colored dyes. i used Revlon Colorsilk along with bleach. Day 1, my head swelled like an alien. Day 2 I had alien head and one closed eye. I went to urgent care and he gave me an epi shot with a steroid shot and benedryl shot.  Day 4 my eye was still swollen shut, my other eye was on the way of being swollen shut and my face blew up like a puffer fish. I went to the Er and they gave me a steroid shot, and benedryl shot and sent me home with more steroids. Day 5 no change... Day 6 no change.... The itching is unbearable but scratching releases it in your system and makes it worse.I had missed a week from work and Im in hiding wearing shades where ever I go. Im terrified I have not seen any improvement. I went to an allergist on day 6 and he said the steroids will just make me swell more and to stop taking them because they will cause me to hold water. I hope this goes away fast. Patch test from now on...
Natural hair dye is the solution allergy. I have been through this miserable allergy experience when I used off shelf hair dye. But now I can dye my hair with no problem. The only problem is that i need to spend  2 hours to get it dye. I use two combinations of natural leaves. Please wait for me until i get it paitent.
I have been chemically treating my hair for over 35 years.  Straightening, highlighting and coloring every 4 weeks.  I started having reactions about 10 years ago.  The colorist  trick of adding sweet n low to the color before applying worked for the last 9.  The past year my scalp has been gradually getting worse, first very red, then itchy, now big itchy bumps that contain fluid.  My scalp is now becoming scaly in the same areas.  There have been so many colors tried for over the past year that have caused the same reaction.  The reactions are becoming more severe with each new brand.  The most recent coloring was two weeks ago and I still have the abrasions bleeding when I brush.  It was foils only as I have sadly decided that I cannot deal with the issue anymore and will go gray. I am beginning to think that I have exposed my system to many a carcinogenic through the reactions. I have been trying to find something like this blog for so long, finally success!  It has been enlightening.  I have never seen a Physician for my situation and wonder if it is too late now that they are healing.  
I just realized I am allergic to hair dye too. The last three times I got horrible rashes on my head that burned and itched and oozed. A new symptom though, the last two times my lips not only swelled up, but  developed little holes under the skin that look all watery. They aren't blisters, but they take up my whole lip. Thank god it's not too noticeable, but it kind of freaks me out still. I learned my lesson.
I hope you called PCP.  I have had three marks on my scalp that are itchy and sore for five weeks!  I called my PCP's office and was told to take Benadryl at night.  With all the discussion about Mercer (MRSA), you never know. The lips would have me concerned too.  I am still allowing my hair to go grey.  Not happy about either!  
I have dyed my hair for many years without any problems until I dyed my hair about a week ago and noticed about 4 days ago that i had these burning bumps on my scalp and didn't think nothing of it until i got sick from an ear infection and sinusitis for a few days before i had to go back to the ear two days later because my right eye and fore head had developed blister's and had headache's and neck aches from the hair dye that i had used. The er Dr had to give my 2 Benadryl pills and a steroid shot while i was in the er! and so far on day two of the steroids,benadryl,and cold compress to the infected areas i am see very little improvement but i have noticed it is easing up a little but not enough yet. hopefully by the time i finish the steroids these bumps will be gone. And if they are not then i am going to shave my head and go from there! Best of luck to everyone who has had an allergic reaction to hair dye. I have learned my lesson and i will never dye my hair again!!
thanks so much for your help!
hi pinkandwhitedove,
I'm interested, can you tell me the complete details please?,  I'm always suffering for an allergy effect of hair dye. I used the brands like Bigen, Garnier, and now i'm planning to use Kolestone by Wella. I'm always worried of this allergy effect.
I have been dying my hair for a few years but a week ago today might be the last time.  I have barely been able to make it to work this week because I feel so terrible. I have fatigue, constant headache, irritated scalp and rock hard lymph nodes at the back of my neck. I have been to a clinic and asked if it could be a result of my hair dye. The nurse looked at me like I was clueless. I was just told to come back if it got worse. It's not getting worse, but it's certainly not getting better. I hope the symptoms start to subside soon, but from what I am reading on this site, it is not something that clears up very well.  My heart goes out to you who have had more severe reactions. I am really struggling with mine. I am very grateful for this community. Hugs to all.
I couldn't agree more.  If I don't have any improvement soon, I am going to shave my head too.  Like you, I am never going to dye my hair again.  
I am going through this now...had my edges dyed to cover gray hair on Friday and this morning my face is distorted , my ears hurt ,  have a headache, and I have a rash on my hairline/ scalp which is oozing . I am on my way to urgent care tonight ....I am hoping it gets better . Never again. I'll have to cover my gray with brown mascara from now on.
I was wondering whether to cut my hair since my face really swelled after washing my hair.  I don't know why the doctor did not suggest it.  My hair is past my shoulder and still has the black dye in it.  Thanks for the advice.
I also used black dye and now look like an alien.  I think I am going to cut my hair short so it won't touch my face when it's wet.  I received a steroid shot and have to take meds. This is awful.
Hi!
I'm currently in this horrible situation with my ears n scalp bc of the dye. I jus wanted to ask a question bc I have no insurance and can't go to the doctor. Do I put the peroxide and cortisone cream in my scalp? If not what do I use to stop the itching and pain there?
Did you try henna?  It's the only thing I use, but there is a lot of fake stuff with weird chemical additives out there.  Make sure to do your research when you buy, good resourse is hennasooq.com