Allergy Community
Hives and Severe Joint Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Hives and Severe Joint Pain

My son 15, had hives last week.  Severe hives moving from one part of his body to another.  He was on a medication just prior to this called Solodyn (for acne).  (We stopped the Solodyn about a week ago when the rash first appeared.)  The doctors aren't sure if that is what triggered this.  The hives a week later have slowed up but we are now having severe joint pain.  The joint pain also moves daily from one area of his body to the other.  One day it is on the right side affecting his hands and feet mostly, then the next day it is on the other side.  Sparadically it become so severe he can't walk on that foot or write with that hand.  He is on Clarinex and Allegra now due to the rash. It does help but occassionally that rash will reappear for a few hours then gone again.  I am truly concerned about the joint pain, because it isn't minor, it is debilitating for him.  Please let me know if there is something that we are overlooking.  I have found individuals on the internet that have these same problems but no way to ask them what the cure was.  Please help.  
To:

I too have issues with joint pain.  and hives.  The sad thing is only 20-30% of people actually figure out what is the cause.  Has your son had any surgerys lately?  Mine started when I was about 14-15 years old, and I am now 29 and still having issues.  I think we are finally figuring out why though.
Having had several tick bites this summer, I am sensitized to the issue of Lyme Disease. The variability of the symptoms (e.g., moving from one side of the body to the other) is characteristic of this diagnosis. Since deer ticks are so tiny, it is not always possible to know if a bite has occurred.
Do you live in a state (such as in the NE) where Lyme Disease is prevalent and/or has you son been in a wooded area?

I mention this possibility, since early treatment with an antibiotic is important to cure what can otherwise be a chronic disease.

Please keep in mind that I offer this suggestion within the context of my patient experience. Since you stated concern about not overlooking anything, I would suggest that you research the web-sites which deal with Lyme Disease to determine whether it would be worthwhile to include this.

I am so sorry that your son is having such a difficult time. I hope that he will feel much better soon.
Thank you for your comments.  
This all started with my son taking an antibodic for his acne.  We have had test this week for about 8 different kinds of illnesses and the only one that showed anythng was his thyroid was low.  The physician said this could be due to all the sickness he has had over the past 10-12 days.  We recheck that in about 4-6 weeks to as a precaution.  We started a steroid pack and he started to get better.  But...now that he is coming to the smaller doseages of it his pain is returning in his left shoulder and arm.  Laura what do you think you are going to find on yourself.  This is so long for you to have to deal with this unanswered.  Also Jeanne, one of the test was for lyme and it was negative, but alot of my research shows that lyme doesn't test postive at first.  Thank you both for your comments.  
Please look into the Autoimmune and Rhumetology forums.  I get Chronic Hives and was researching it when I came across a forum where Dr.s have linked hives to (other than food, drug or seasonal allergies) autoimmune disorders, liver problems, Rhumetoid Arthritis (chronic joint pain) among others.  I don't want to scare you but it is just something to think about.  We have a history of Rhumetoid Arthitris in my family and I was schocked to read that hives can be a underlying sympton of something other than allergies!!!!  I am going to look more into it and do more research however, I thought that might be a good place for you to start if you aren't getting any answers and you want to continue to research and advocate for your son's health.
Much love and God Bless!
Born Free
I have autoimmune disease, but this boy doesn't have the length of time of hives.  He just had them for a week.  Chronic Hives is usually Hives that last more then a six week period, and he only had them a week.  Also auto immune disorders don't usually happen in males.  They can, but not as often as females.  My great grandmother had auto immune disease and lived to 94, so having it isn't a death sentence.  My grandma also has it and she still walks 6 miles a day at age 80.  My mother has it and shes almost 60, then there is me.  
I have been to so many docs in the past 13 years that I couldn't count them anymore.  All docs ever want to do is band-aid the problem by using high doses of allegra.  If I were you I would do some more checking into the allergy side of things.  Heres the thing that I learned.  About two weeks ago I had all the skin allergy tests performed including foods.  All foods came back fine.  Well another doc had me do some blood work and stool sample and send it to the rocky mountain labs to get tested.  It turned out that I have low allergys (allergies) to many many foods.  This is why they won't show up on skin allergy test.  Heres the thing I took those foods out and my angioedema went away for the first time in 13 years for two weeks.  Then one day I decided to test it and I ate a bunch of stuff that I had low allergy to and sure enough I had 7 knots that night.  I get my angioedma at night so what is happening is say I eat sandwich with bread, then at dinner I eat a roll and something with sugar in it, then I have eatten too much and caused my low allergy to build up, and that is why my angioedma happens at night.  Another thing to realize is only 20% of people will find out what causes hives.  This is partly because docs just don't know much about it yet.  Here is my low allergy's.
glutin, yeast, cane sugar, alfafa, string beans, turkey, soy, and a couple of others that I can't remember right now.  I would so recommend getting this done.  Your hospitals can draw the blood for you and you send it off yourself to the lab.  You have to get the kit that includes the tubes for the blood.  In all for my testing kits for stool and blood it was 251.00.  Well worth the price.  Also there is another lab that tests for spices, additives.  What I have found is you can't say it's not an allergy because you could be allergic to additive or MSG.  I believe that you need to look further into getting my indepth allergy tests done.  I also have auto immune that came back as positive with blood tests, and my liver test was a little higher then normal.  My IGG level was 122.
One other thing to remember is you could even have an allergy to chemicals or carpets.  I would do some more checking before you let a doc tell you that you have to live with them.  
Heck I even had a doc that wanted to put me on cemo for my positive auto immune disease because he said something about the chronic hives.  Good thing I didn't do it.  Go find yourself a doc that deals with natural stuff and you will get some more answers.  I am a personal believer in these types of docs because my father has had lyukemia for three years now and has never been on cemo or anything.  His levels don't change, and are actually a little better.  This is due to the fact that he takes lots of vitamins and eats fruits and veggies like blackberrys, blueberries, tomaotes, and others.  
Just remember docs are just now starting to find SOME answers to hives and angioedema, and you need to find a doc that knows about it.  
I have had severe pain in my left arm - shoulder to wrist/thumb. i had it on my right arm about a week or less ago. i also have hives/welts and itching all over my body.
My daughter who is seven years old has very similiar symptoms to the ones you described for your son.  She had a bladder infection and was just finishing an antibiotic when her rash showed up it quickly turned into severe joint pain and hives.  The joint pain would migrate from one spot to another.  One day she can not walk and bend her knees the next she seems to be fine.  We are going to meet with a rhumetoid specialist tomorrow.  I would like to know what outcomes you experienced with your son.
I have the same thing-  do you know what it is?
I am battling this also mostly chronic Hives, this appeared about 6 weeks ago after I had taken anti biotics and had a Root canal, I have been tring to find out all I can I too have had no luck with Doctors , One gave me Hydroxyzine which is a relaxant but also used as an anti hisimine, 10 days in I got a severe right sided chest pain I thought I was having a all Bladder Attack, did some research and Hydroxyzine can cause Virus Infections,The hives change they have gone from huge raised wheals ,if you dare scratch even a little , they burn and come up like a nettle Rash. I Have also heard of a lot of people of all ages coming Down with the same thing, my conclusion now is it has to be a Virus or an enviromental agent, I see they are spraying that Toxic stuff everywhere for the Mosquitos, Malathyon I think its called I am going to see if there are any reactions to that.I have tried changing everything , creams Laundrty stuff,Shampoo, everything,Even considered having the root canal tooth removed.
Hey, I'm sorry to hear your son is going through what I'm going through.  My rashes (due to solodyn) are coming and going, but the joint pain is absolutely unbelievable.  In fact, right now I'm in my bed and am unable to walk.  I can hardly roll myself over.  This is significant.  I'm 23, and in good shape.  I'm totally disabled by this joint pain.  How long does it last?  Should I go to a hospital?  IS there anything that works?  I'm taking IBprofen.
Hi there! My son had the same symptoms at age 4. He had just finished an antibiotic, that should be off the market, called cefaclor. It mimics juvenile rhumetoid arthritis. His joints swelled, could not walk and came out with a rash that continued on an off for a year. I hope you daughter will be ok
I have had chronic hives for the past 7 months.  As usual, the doc say that it is idiopathic and ramp up the antihistamines.  I started having severe joint pain about two months ago and am scheduled to see Rheumatology.  I decided to go see a holistic doctor and took all the blood work I had for the past 6 months.  He found that my ratio for white blood cells was out of balance and said it indicated a bacterial infection in my digestive system.  A small amount of apple cider vinegar each day has kept the hives away.  He stated that my joint pain was due to the overuse of antihistamines.  Bottom line, I would highly recommend going to a competent holistic doc in your area for a second opinion.  This condition doesn't seem to be a concern of the traditional health system.
I started breaking out in Hives in my early 30's now in my late 30's I have been to allergist, dermatologist, and finally rheumatologist.  The steriod packs only helped for a short time and the hives would start coming back earlier and earlier.  My eyes, lips, fingers and knees will swell sometimes and I have even gotten hives underneath my feet.  Although I tested positive for the rheumadoid factor I do not have it.  But my cousin has the same problems.  This all seems to stem from some type of reaction to antibotics.  And I can remember taking a round before this started.  I will you good luck in your venture.  The doctor I see wants to say I have hypocomplementemic urticarial vasculitis.I can go for months with none and then I will get stressed or not taking care of myself and they will come out.
I was wondering if you found out anything about your daughters hives and joint pain.  My daughter is 8, she was on omnicef for strep throat back in January and developed hives and had severe joint pain for over a week.  Yesterday, she started on azithromycin for another round of strep throat and started breaking out in hives again this morning.  Her joints are now swelling.  We'd love to get to the bottom of whatever's causing this.  It doesn't seem possible that she would be allergic to both antibiotics.
I am interested in learning more about where you sent your labwork to.  I have heard of this low allergy before and I believe that to be the case with me, since I clearly have many food sensitivities.  The allergist is no help in this regard.  I've had to try to discover them on my own.  I'm clearly still missing something, though, since I'm still getting reactions.  I've learned about some other labs, but they cost a lot more.  Do you have a link to this lab you're talking about that I might check them out for myself?
Looking at the side-effects of Solodyn; joint pain is a side effect.  I use Solodyn and take Celebrex for the pain.  The Celebrex has helped a lot.  Just a thought.  I have used Celebrex on and off for 6 years and have no ill effects.  It is way better than ibuprofen, Alleve and the like.  It doesn't irritate my stomach and does not make you drowsy or anything.  Obviously there is an underlying cause for your son's ailments, but immediate relief of symptoms while you are dealing with the underlying cause is a good thing.  Also, Allegra gave me severe back pain.  Just something else to consider.  Good luck.
Jbenton, I am having the same symptoms right now as your son had.  I spent 5 hrs. in the hospital emergency ward yesterday only to get "it could be an allergy" "and take anithistimine and Advil".  I had these same symptoms about 15 years ago while I was taking penicillin.  I have since then never taken any penicillin again and have had no problems like this until now.  This time I haven't a clue on how it happened.  I'm not taking any medications that I haven't been on for years.  It started with a heat rash, itchy, then hives on my face and red bloches all over my body.  The joints started hurting after that, first with the thumbs on both hands. I couldn't even turn on the tap.   It then affected one knee and my left arm up into the shoulder.  Last night at the hospital it started affecting my ankles and still hurt there.  My skin feels tight - like when you get a sunburn and I get tingling in my hands like they are asleep. My toes hurt as well.  As jbenton said - it travels around the body, when one part starts to feel better another starts to hurt.  It is very debilitating.  I'm in a lot of pain and feeling very uncomfortable.  I'm having trouble walking and even typing hurts.
The hospital is referring me to another doctor.  I have environmental allergies.  I was digging in the dirt a couple of days ago and wondered if that had anything to do with it.  I wish I could get an answer.  The last time it took weeks to recover.  I have hives periodically without the joint pain and use antihistimines to help that, but it is the joint pain that I'm troubles me.
Any suggestions?  I have been reading the above, but it doesn't look like there are any answers.  It looks like it is time to get allergy tested again.
I was diagnosed with ITP (low platelet disorder) over a year ago.  I've been on prednisone, low dose for over a year for treatment.  About two weeks ago, I started having flu-like symptoms, and then severe hives.  Now in addition to the hives, I'm having severe joint pain.  It moves around, but today it's in my toes and right knee.  I can hardly walk it's so painful.  I've been to a hematologist & allergist, and they just say it's because of my ITP, and they increased my prednisone & put me on all sorts of allergy medicine.  Nothing is working.  I don't know what's causing the hives, but the joint pain is almost unbearable
My 8 year old son was recently diagnosed with peanut/nut/environmental allergies and started taking amoxocillan for a sinus infection for 10 days.  The last day of the medicine he coincindently broke out with hives from what I thought could've been a cupcake that he ate (he's never broken out from food before).  That same night, he started taking zyrtec.  He took it for two nights and on the third day started complaing his wrists/ankles/feet hurt and his hands became clenched like claws.  I took him to the E/R because he could hardly walk.  The doctor there said it was an allergic reaction to the zyrtec.  Gave him Benadryl and after an hour it looked like the swelling on his ankles went down, so they sent him home.  The next day he appeared slightly better but by the late afternoon he could hardly walk again.  This has gone on for 4 days of looking like he's getting better but then it comes back, especially the claw like hands. And now he has a low grade fever.  His pediatrician says it was an allergic reaction to the antibiotic and sent him for bloodwork.  Went to the allergist today and he said they were both wrong and its Parvo Virus Infection.  I don't know who to believe.  I a waiting for the blood work for some answers.  Has anyone ever had this happen to their child also?
I'm a 30 year old male. I went out to eat with my wife on a Friday night and shared a bottle of wine and some fruit. Later that evening I started breaking out with hives. It was Tuesday and I couldn't stand it any longer. So, I went to a medical clinic. They gave me a steriod shot and gave me a Px of Prednisone (20mg) 2 a day for 5 days then 1 a day for 5 days. That very next day I started having servere joint pain as described above, I immediatly stopped taking prednisone. I was out of work for a week. I went to the ER around 0400hrs one morning. They put me on an IV with moraphine and Px with more Prednisone and Lortab.
I did a little research on Prednisone and it states that if you have had a history of malaria then your dosage should be reduced or you should be tested first. None of these things happened. I'm thinking law-suit. Do Docs know what they are doing anymore? I have an appt. tomorrow, we'll see.
I'm back at work still itching, joints hurt, no Lortab (just took the edge off) and wondering what the heck is wrong with me.
Me again.  I wrote last May that I had severe allergic reaction to something.  Never figured out what it was, but I feel fine now.  Went to allergist and had tests and she couldn't tell me either.  I have allergies, but nothing that would cause the hives and pain I had.  I figure there is something in my system that reacts to whatever?? Who knows.  I'm currently on anti-biotics as I have strep throat so we will see what happens after this week.  But as I said, seems to have gone away, took a couple of weeks to recover, but not as severe as the first time.
Last week we flew from Chicago to Aruba. After the first day my son had what we thought was sun poisoning with fever and rash. He spiked a 103 fever and then the next day felt great. Fever free he went down to the pool and enjoyed his day, but night he had a fever and more rash. By the 4th day of our trip my son had fever, HUGE hives (pink patches the size of my palm) on his upper legs, stomach, back and his knees and ankes were swollen and his was in so much pain that when I "made" him stand to show me he puked. He is 3 1/2 I have NEVER seen anything like this. We took him right to the emergency room where they called it an allergic reaction. The next morning he woke and after awhile could walk and seemed fine, then again that night everything flared up in his knees and ankles again and he couldn't walk, just a little rash this time. He has NO known allergies or other health problems.In the past he has complained in the morning or after activity that his legs hurt, he won't walk down the stairs on his own some mornings crying that he can't do it. We always just thought he was faking it. Doctors are trying to tell us it is viral, but it was all too strange. The weather change was dramatic and I have a slight form of arthritis from 3 knee surgeries and it acted up badly while in Aruba. Does anyone out there have a similar story where thier child ended up with Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis?? My doctor doesn't sound convinced, but I am worried. She has agreed to do a blood work up on him within the next two weeks. THANKS in advance for any info you can provide me with!
1.jordygoose-- parvo virus usually does not have the joint pain and swelling

2. momo..i've seen viral reactions that act like jeuvenile arthritis. my 2 1/2 yr old experienced this for about 4 mos, it went away and never returned.

I have had severe hives and swelling of the eyes and lips for a month now.  Doctor says its stress, I don't believe him.  It started just coming on at 9 pm then completely gone by 4 am.  went to the ER they gave me Zantac and since then I have hives from morning to night. Also, my joints hurt in random parts of my body, wrists and mostly fingers. I only took the one pill they gave me in the ER.  On my own I have found that trichinosis can cause joint pain, severe hives, nausea, headaches, and many other things. I don't know what to do, I feel like I am going insane from the itching.  I am also nursing my 8 month old baby.  I am going to see a holistic Dr. on Tuesday.  God be with you everyone, I feel your pain...
Sorry to hear about your son's problems. I have been posting about an absolutely wonderful medicine from India called KYNATOMINE for hives which helped me in 2003 and the hives haven't come back. TOUCH WOOD. Contrary to it's name it's an AYURVEDIC medicine for the liver but which fixes hives also. It has no side effects. Believe me, because I have been on it. It's from a company called J&J DeChane, India. Instead of giving antihistamines try this for a month. 2 tablets 3 times a day, after meals. I too used to get horrible joint pains and had the worst possible case of hives. Try it.
Try Kynatomine from J&J DeCHANE INDIA.
wow, my son is having the exact same issue.   He took the antibiotic omnicef for strep throat, for about a week.  He then broke out in severe hives, and about two days later stared with the joint pain.   mostly hands and feet, but moves around, and gets better then worse.   Dr is referring us to an allergist.    Did you find any answers??????
My son is 9 yrs old and has had the same symptoms for the past 4 days. He started with large wilts (like a bug bites) and them lead to a rash/hive all over his body. The next day, his joints in his hands were swollen and achy. The following day his knees, elbows, and other large joints have been swollen and hurting to where he can not move. He was on amoxicilion up to the day of his rash starting from having 2 teeth removed. We were in the emergency room last night for 6 hours doing blood work. They tested for strep throat (to rule out Rheumatic fever) and now are testing for Lupus and Juvenile arthritis. His pediatrician thinks it is a virus that has attached the joints, I just don't know.

We went through this when he was 3 years old. He was diagnosed with Rheumatic fever back then. This is just so different, he did not have the rash back then (just swelling around the joints) and sever traveling joint pain.

I'm worried that this will go away without a medical diagnosis or a cause identified and that we will experience this again in his future. I just want to find out what is going out and why. If we can do something to prevent, this would be best. Please keep posting so that we can learn from each other.
My daughter is going through the same thing and it's been almost 3 weeks now.  Started off with hives, then severe joint pain that moved around and fever. We've been to the pediatrician, dermatologist and rheumatologist.  Our next move is the allergist.  So far, she's had no diagnosis and the blood work didn't show much - just a few elevated areas which could be consistent with a virus.  But at least it wasn't RA or Lupus.  The pediatrician mentioned Serum Sickness and, honestly, it sounds and looks just like that.  A lot of the above stories sound like Serum Sickness, especially the people who have taken antibiotics.  I think my daughter's came from a bug bite which I remember as being more red, swollen and bigger than her ordinary mosquito bites.
They have been doing a lot of spraying in from the sky..they are called chem trails I think you should look into the search engine and see what they are spraying ..Many folks have come down with rashes ...google chem trails
Hi Trishaconcernedmom,

I have a 7 1/2 year old daughter who has been through the same last week. This was the third time this happend to her. the first two times (sept 2010, and may 2011) she just had the hives, joint pain, swollen feet. The pediatrician diagnosed it as urticaria at that time. When it happened last week it was much more severe with 103.5F fever and hives all over her face, swollen lip, swollen eyelid. We just got her bloodwork done on Wed and are awaiting the test results. The pediatric rheumatologist ordered those tests and we will know the outcome only after two weeks. So it is an agonizing wait. The docs suspect Lupus and JRA as well.
I notice that you are in Bryan, TX. I am in SA, TX. I noticed that few others on this forum were also from a nearby area. Could environment be a factor? Or is it just a coincidence.
Please do post and let me know what the bood work shows. Thanks for sharing your experience. We sure can learn a lot from each other.
I am 27 and have had hives for 4 weeks know. Along with severe joint pain that is so crippling at times I have to crawl to the couch because I can't stand to bear weight on my feet. Days I get up and have to go buy a wrist brace and wear it to work cause my wrist hurts so bad Id rather have broken it then feel the unexplained pain I am in. I have been to 2 different doctors. The allergist has tested me for mold, pollens, trees, grasses, foods, medications, he is now testing me for Lupus (although I don't believe this is it) I have been tested for RA, had a CBC, BMP, been tested for EBV, cytomegalovirus.. all tested... NOTHING NO ANSWERS. Just hives and pain.... If ANYONE has an actual answer out there... like a true diagnoses Id LOE to hear it... Im about to lose my kob over this crap cause I can't stand to walk to my mailbox, let alone 12 hours a day....
I've been reading all the posts about hives and joint pain bc i just broke out in hives a week ago with travelling joint pain.  But, can't seem to find anything conclusive.  Where should i start?  I'm taking antehistamine for the hives and advil for the joint pain.  I'm going to see a rheumatologist but it sounds like i'm going to be tested for a million things and still have no answer.  Help!!
Oh my gosh... I thought I was the only one with these symptoms!

I've had chronic hives for over a year and severe joint pain in my ankles and wrists/thumbs for about 8 months.  The pain comes and goes and I can go a week or so with none at all.  The hives on the other hand... the doctor informed me they were stress hives and has me on a low does anti-anxiety pill.  The hives stay away as long as I don't miss more than 2 days of the pill.  

The hives are usually at night and the joint pain all day and night.  

I'm trying to track the Kynatomine, but being as I am in New Zealand (Christchurch to be precise - earthquake city... which should explain the stress) drugs are hard to find under brand names and may not be allowed in at all.  :(
hi all, well i've read everyone post from start to finish, and so many kids seem to have it which is awful.  im a 42 year old female with a 4 year old so usually have loads of energy, love diy and being active and now struck with this joint pain that moves every other day.  im in the uk, in a town, not much crop spraying here, I've not had hives, but absolutely horrendous pains, im trying to type then backspace to correct, my fingers on my left hand ache and move slowly, last night my right wrist was to painful to even turn to look at it as there was swelling at the side of my wrist bone, days before it was my ankle and last friday my shoulder felt dislocated, but a hot bath and ibruprophen seem to make it easier :( i know i had this once before when living near london, i then moved to the midlands and things got loads better, i put it down to chemicals in the water - honestly, because when i did buy a water filter while there it did seem to ease off. i've got it again and its feels bleek, i work in an office so fairly easy to sit and work, but keyboard work? im struggling. i've read everyone post and comments, im still trying to get an appointment at the docs after a week of they're full, in the meantime, im going to try as suggested the alergy (allergy) of foods/chemicals tests, as in change or stop various ones in batches and see how i go.  i admit i like my biscuits and coffee and i do smoke, but i like heathly food, always running around, never usually sit still.  there is something that women get just before or during menopause, i didnt think i was quite there yet but the site showed the exact same places of pain and symptoms and occourance as i have.  Couple of days and it moves to somewhere else just as the other joint seems to get better.  primary hormones, estrogen and progesterone levels drop which some medics suggest may cause arthritic pain which moves.  they do say to try arctium, apis mellifica, actaea spicata, which im also going to re-search and will post on here any info.  they also point to lupus, lyme and chrones disease, i'll research it all first before i scare myself.  good luck to all you people too, sarah
well, finally got into the docs this morning, 54 calls in 15mins each engaged tone, not impressed. got another appointment for blood tests 22nd nov 2011, one thing they will test for is celiac'ss disease and other flamitory disorders. i askes if i can have food/allergy skin tests but he said we'll start with the blood test.  yet celiacs is a food intollerance to gluten! anyhow prescribed naproxen which is better than ibroprophen and has a pain killer in it, but this causes stomache upset/acid so also have ranitidine to counteract it.  today the stiffness and pain has move to my shoulder again.  will post back again. sarah
well its just over a week since my last post, blood tests came back with no issues, flare tags were marjinally higher than normal but they didnt seem concerned. that was last friday i got the results.  back at the docs monday 28th nov after a terrible weekend.  went to a comedy club for my birthday sat night with my boyfriend but by the time i got home around 1am (sat most of the evening too) i could barely walk, couldnt drive without hunching over the wheel then laid ontop of the bed with my coat on as i couldnt move :( this is awful ;( saw a different doc mon, sent for blood tests tues 29th they are now testing for lupus among other conditions i cant remember i was in too much pain to take it in. been given a medication which is a muscle relaxant called amitriptyline.  the doc didnt say if to take it with the other meds, so i didnt, but i've taken one of the first tablets naproxen as im in agony tonight. had a hot bath with didnt work, im walking like a gorrilla as i can hardly bend my knees, my fingers hurt, shoulders, wrists and ankles :( to say im scared of getting no answers or cure is an understatement, i couldnt lift my 4 year old little girl out of the bath tonight my mum had to do it :(   I havent had any hives, i do seem to be going to the toilet tiddling a lot more but other than that its just this seizing up of nearly everywhere, with mild inflamation (inflammation) usually on the sides on my wrists and the paint with it all. it feels like carpal tunnel syndrome on my wrists, feels like a trapped tendon or muscle behind my knees and shoulders feel like they have something trapped, ankles usually just feel stiff and hard to move. i was fit and active before and not had any illness may be a tickly cough, no antibiotics lately or hives.  i had something simular around 10 years ago where they tested my wrists for carpal tunnel and never got to the bottom of why my hip felt seized up.  i moved back to derbyshire and it all stopped! does anyone else have these symptoms? a very sad and upset sazzle :( will post back soon even if to journal whats happening to me.
My daughter just broke out into hives today and has most of the swelling in her knee.  The hives are all over though.  She is at the end of an antibiotic, but I wasn't sure if that was it or an insect bite.  What was the result of your child's reaction?
I recommend checking rx-list.com and looking up the antibiotics prescribed. Not only does it give side effects and such but all the ingredient-- including the inert ingredients. I find I react to the inert ingredients (thankfully I have not had hives or joint pain but I do get asthma attacks, a bloody nose and horrible migraines.) Inert ingredients I have learned to watch out for-- sodium laural(th) sulfate-- this is a powerful detergent and is used in labs to break down human skin cells to look at under the microscope, talc-- this is said not to be used as a powder because it can increase the likelihood of ovarian cancer, gluten, and any milk product.

I hope you get your answers,
achilles2
I forgot to mention another ingredient I must avoid and that is any artificial sweetener. These are bad news for anyone and can cause all sorts of problems.
I have the same problems as your son. I'm 35 and have been suffering for 8 months.  I get lumps in my feet and hands  For a day or two,sometimes longer. The pain in my joints have me thinking arthritis also. I'm currently on allegra 180mg once a day
Over the last two months I have experienced extreme joint pain. I was one Solodyn for a year and a half and a couple months ago, I started feeling a dull pain in my shoulders, then it trickled into my wrists and fingers, then eventually into my knees and my ankles are tight. I've had just about every kind of blood test and everything has come back negative, even arthritis.

How is your son? Did things clear up? Is there any kind of advice that you can give me? Or anything that I should expect?

I've had the hives, knots, and stiffness for the past week and have come to the conclusion that it is a Sulfa allergy. I got mine from giving my horse Trimethoprim/sulfa and might not have figured it out if my husband didn't know about his sulfa allergy already. It started with hives and puffy eyelids (presumebly from hives), and pain in my elbow I thought was from having it in the same position at work all day. I also had a half dozen huge bug bites with 1/8 pus filled tops. I then started getting knots (which I thought were also bug bites at first). My other joints seized up and I got more knots. I finally figured out that it was either flys eating my horses medication in her food and biting me or mosquitos biting her and then me that probably caused the nasty bug bites, and may or may not have been all of it. I might have breathed or ingested some of her medication while I was giving it to her for a week.  Apparently sulfa is also in some generic prescriptions so let pharmacy as well as the doctor know this might be the issue.

This is a list of stuff that will set off sulfa allergies.

Sulfonamide Antibiotics:
sulfadiazine
sulfamethoxazole
sulfasalazine
sulfisoxazole
sulfacetamide
sulfanilamide
sulfathiazole
sulfabenzamide

Thiazide Diuretics:
hydrochlorothiazide
chlorthiazide
metolazone
chlorthalidone
indapamide
methyclothiazide

Loop Diuretics:
furosemide

Sulfonylureas:
chlorpropamide
tolbutamide
tolazamide
glipizide
glyburide

Carbonic Anhydrase Inhibitors:
acetazolamide
Our 14 year old son took amoxicillin for 4 days for a sinus infection, then broke out in hives.  Doctor gave him a steroid shot for the hives.  Hives have begun slowly disappearing over the last 48 hours, though not completely gone yet.  Now his joints are stiffening up and have a purplish shade to them.
i have had chronic hives covering my entire body.. and also swelling of legs hands and face and even my lips.. i have lost my voice a few times.. they have had me on vistril, benydryl,zyrtec and ellegra. ellegra is the only thing that keeps it at bay for a few hours. i am going to see a demratoligist tomorrow.. i was very interested in your post because arthritis also runs in my family.. if you have any ideas please help please feel free to contact me at my email address at ***@****
Please tell us what was the cause ? my 13 year old daughter has the same problems. Please send to ***@****
I have had this as well for about 3 weeks now. All of a sudden, i had hives and everyday i would take benedryl to supress the histamines. The third day, i got angioedema from advil (NSAID). When the histamines are active in your body, NSAIDs can cause angiedema. Anyways, my tongue began to swell and i went to the ER where i got a prednisone drip. Doc gave me an Px for epi-pen and10 day supply of prednisone, which was tapered. Anyways, went to my primary physician that day and had blood drawn. 2 days later, doc said i was not allergic to anything. Went to an allergist about 2 weeks later, all the while ive been getting hives when the benedryl ran low in my system. Allergist/immunologist immediately diagnosed me with dermographism after hearing my story and seeing pictures of my hives. He said that it can last up to a year and that most cases he's seen only last for 6 months- 1 year, while 1 or two last forever. He said as long as i take 1-2 zyrtec daily, it will control the hives. So its been 3 weeks as of now since the hives started and im not currently taking prednisone anymore (hated it!), my right knee joint began to hurt with sharp pain, but then went away. Not sure if Doc diagnosed it properly, or its something more severe? The zyrtec is controlling the hives well, but if i wait too long in between doses, the hives return all over(only at night time). I have always been healtyh and considered myself to have a strong immune system. Not sure why this onset was so sudden. My blood work came back that i was VIT D deficient and B12 was in low range of 300 (normal is 200-1000). Doc also gave me VIT D Px so we will see what happens. Did your doc get back to you?