IgE
Can anyone tell me what is IgE and what to do if someone is having high IgE (where the normal rate is below 250, I have it more that 600). Is it related to food? Is it alarming?  

Welcome to our Allergy Community!

As I understand the IgE is an antibody that when elevated can be indicative of an allergy.  Antibodies usually are only formed when there's been a reaction to cause the elevated IgE.  Usually the levated IgE I think is elevated during a RAST test for allergies.

What did your Dr test for?  Allergies or Immunoglobulin assay panel to find the higher levels?  Autoimmune disorders, too, can show up with elevated immunoglobulins I think, but a different one than IgE but I'm not a doctor, just a mom with a lot of experience with highly allergic RAST + kids to all sorts of allergins.

C~
Here's a link for info:

http://www.medhelp.org/medical-information/show/3296/Allergy-testing
      IgE is a class of antibodies that are usually found in allergy or hypersensitivity reactions especially of type 1. They are also formed in immune responses to parasitic and protozoan infections. They are formed in allergic reactions either to foods( like milk, pea nuts) or drugs or dust or pollen. High levels are found in allergic individuals. Atopic dermatitis, allergic rhinitis, asthma, allergic conjunctivitis are some of the allergic conditions where high levels of IgE are found.
As, mentioned in the previous post allergy testing should be done and triggering agents for developing allergic reactions should be avoided. Hope this helps. Best.