Allergy Community
Latex allergy and kiwi
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Latex allergy and kiwi

Is there any relation between latex allergy and kiwi. If you don't know the kiwi I attache a photo. I read a post, I don't remember where it said which people with latex allergy shouldn't eat kiwi, I don't know if this is true or false, any can help me?
Related Discussions
7 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hi,
Allergies are your body's way of reacting to perceived threats in your environment. When the body is exposed to a substance you are allergic to, called a trigger or allergen, your immune system tries to fight off the assault by producing an antibody called immunoglobulin E (IgE). The problem is, these antibodies cause your cells to release proteins called histamines, which in turn can cause itching, swelling, runny eyes or nose, or, in more severe cases, problems with swallowing and breathing.
There are hundreds of different allergy triggers, but the most common ones include pollens, molds, dust mites (tiny creatures that live in household dust), animal dander, and industrial chemicals.
Ref:http://www.myonlinewellness.com/topic/allergy
Both latex and kiwi fruit could be potential allergens to you.This does not mean there is aconnection between the two except that they both trigger off your immune system.

Blank
Hi,
Found a little snippet that might interest you.
There is also an interesting association of unique food allergy among persons allergic to latex. People allergic to latex are frequently allergic to bananas and sometimes other foods like kiwi, papaya, avocados and apricots. This association with food allergy is real, but the cause of the relationship is uncertain.
Ref:http://www.medicinenet.com/latex_allergy/page2.htm.
Blank
Hi carlosalberto,
Of course, lastly it's been discovered a relation between latex allergy people and some proteins present in some fruits. Check the site given by Dr aparna http://www.medicinenet.com/latex_allergy/page2.htm
Kindest regards
Blank
I have had a latex  allergy  for over ten years. Found out the hard way with a burn from gloves during a vaginal exam. Since then it has gotten worse; now it has progressed on to food, which would include Kiwi ( severely ) bannanas, and  pineapples, so far nothing else has reacted. Latex would include paint  rubber gloves, tires, pillows with latex in them, foam, drinking bottles, or a lot of plasic bottles, and I am extremely careful when I have to go to the hospital. Oh I forgot I can"t put my hands on anything painted with latex, they break out in a bad rash.
Blank
Hello,
So strange, I am allergic to kiwi and latex as well as apples and pears.
Blank
yes kiwis and bananas are linked to a latex allergy. i got lucky im not allergic to the food side of this allergy but i am severly allergic to latex, rubber, elastic, and spandex.
Blank
i dont know what i would do if i was allergic to kiwis bananas and avacodos.. those are like my 3 favorite foods! but i have noticed that papaya gives me a sore throat and head aches.. so maybe i am allergic to papaya as well... idk
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Allergy Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...