Allergy Community
Possible Allergic Reaction to Probiotic

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Possible Allergic Reaction to Probiotic

I like yoghurt but when I eat this product I start sneezing badly and feel dreadful.  As I take antibiotics regularly I decided to buy a Probiotic after taking only two tablets I had the same effect only worse it was like having bad hayfever and sinusitus - is it possible I am reacting to the bacteria contained in yoghut and probiotics?
It is possible.  You should have your doctor refer you to an allergist who can check this allergy for you.  If you are allergic to this and continue eating it, you could have a larger reaction.  I would see a doctor.
I kinda doubt an allergist would check for allergy (IgE) response to probiotic.  They can test for some mold and fungus, but I doubt probiotic bacteria.  Why not?  Well, it's not "statistically" possible (or so they think).  Ask the question about being allergic to probiotic, and you will be confronted with a demeaning or sercastic response, like that would be impossible you ignorance patient.  I have suffered from pain for many years, and have found that most probiotics (including yogurt and kefir) make the pain worse.  Two brands cause blood in stool.  But hey, I can not possibly be allergic to probiotic.  People are suppose to have this magical ability to destinguish between all the species of bacteria, fungus and virus.  If this is my problem, it could explain many of the symptoms since the immune system would be in constant fight with the stuff that is in our gut.  It would not surprise me that more people have this problem, though I may be the 1 in 500 billion.  
Hi, symptoms are suggestive of drug allergy and are mediated by release of histamine in the body. Your body is known to hypersensitive to probiotics or its formulation. Actually probiotics have been shown to help reduce allergic symptoms but it is not proven yet. You may be allergic to one of the formulation used to prepare probiotics.

The spectrum of these reactions can vary widely; reactions may present as typical allergic symptoms (eg, itching, urticaria, rash, edema) after a single dose, or may manifest as severe idiosyncratic dermatologic reaction, pulmonary (eg, pneumonitis), renal (eg, nephritis), hepatic (eg, hepatic failure or necrosis), and/or hematologic (eg, anemia, cytopenias) events, usually after multiple doses.

If drug allergy is suspected you need to discontinue the drug and report to your doctor immediately. Treatment includes anti histaminic and glucocorticoids against prescription. Even shot of adrenaline has to be given, when one is in anaphylactic shock. I suggest you to consult your physician. Take care and regards.

I to have had an allergic reaction to various brands of probiotic.  It is always the same reaction which is watery eyes, like allergic conjuctivitis.  I am an allergy sufferer and my allergist recommended probiotics to decrease allergies but it has consistently had the opposite effect.  I have tried different brands on several different occasions and get the same response. I will not continue to spend money  on different bands so that I can end up throwing them away.  I change the way I eat from vegetarian to vegan and use homeopathic remedies as needed.