Allergy Community
Problem with throat and with sleeping

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Problem with throat and with sleeping

Several small problems with my allergies have snowballed. I am not sleeping well at night which started more than a year ago when my allergies (to pollens, animals, grasses, etc.) worsened in the spring. My husband noticed that my breathing became so shallow that I would stop breathing for a second then catch myself. Sometimes that lack of sleep would take a toll -then on a good night, I would sleep like a rock. Lately I am not bouncing back so well. I believe the sleep disorder is from my allergies because I cannot find a medicine to take away the webbing and build up that is in my throat, while my chest and nose stay somewhat clear, there is a constant blockage when I lay down. I swallow non-stop and I also think this leads to not sleeping well because my mind is preoccupied swallowing. Also sometimes I can't pull air into my lungs all the way and so I yawn and yawn.

Recently I was disappointed with my last GP doctor visit, as I went in to get a sleep study prescription at the advice of a friend. Then I don't like the way the sleep lab treated me (no test) and that my doctor required a daytime sleep study because I complained of daytime sleepiness. I don't feel I am on the right path. I'm maxed out with allergy medications -I have tried every new antihistamine- and also took allergy shots for 9 months with no results, just sore arms all the time.

When I do find another doctor to talk with -what kind of action should I expect? What kind of doctor can help me? What tests do I need? I am a female, 44. I'm not overweight. There's no history of asthma or allergies in my family.

Thanks in advance to the kind people that post here.
Sincerely,
S.
First of all I would suggest that you find yourself an allergist.Since allergies come in so many forms, there are no one-size-fits-all treatments. To get personalized information about your particular case, you'll have to talk to your doctor.An allergist can give you the information you need to keep your allergies in check.
Your doctor will want to test your reaction to various allergens.The most common type of test is a skin test, which doctors prefer because the results are available immediately.
These simple tests aren't right for everyone, though. If you are on antihistamines and can't go off them, or if your allergic reaction is particularly severe, your doctor may order a blood test instead of a skin test. Results from a blood test are usually delivered within a month.
ref:http://www.myonlinewellness.com/topic/allergy
This is what you can expect from a specialist.
Once that issue is settled you could tackle your sleep problem.From your history it seems like you could be having sleep apnea.Sleep apnea is a sleep disorder characterized by pauses in breathing during sleep.
You need to discuss this with your next doctor.
Thank you for your time. I really appreciate all the details. Wonderful forum. I hope to report back and drop in again soon.

Have a great day!

Sincerely,
S.