Allergy Community
Sinus Headache Problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Sinus Headache Problems

I was wondering why barametric pressure is such a problem for sinus.  I have noticed that when my weather has been warm and then rain is coming or when it has been cool and then it goes from say 65 degrees to 100, I get terrible sinus headaches.  They don't seem to stem from allergies, although I do have allergies but I seen to have more problems with weather changes and being around smoke or strong odors.  Is there anything you can do when you know a large weather change is coming to ward off a horrible sinus headache?  I live in Los Angeles California and our weather changes a lot.  Although we do not get snow and go up to temps of 120 like Arizona, this week we went from a week or so of temps between 65 - 70 up to 100 today and I woke up with a horrible sinus headache.  We also have more of a dry climate and not sure if that effects it also.  Just trying to understand why these weather changes effect me so much and what I can do to maybe prevent these headaches.  Thanks so much for any help out there.
The headaches that you have with change in climate or weather are not sinus headaches but are migraine headaches.Migraine headaches are precipitated by any change in climate or pressure or humidity levels.

First of all lifestyle modification is required. Go to sleep and wake up at the same time each day. Exercise regularly (daily if possible) and limit stress through regular exercise and relaxation techniques, Avoid bright or flashing lights and wearing sunglasses if sunlight is a trigger,identify and avoid foods that trigger headaches by keeping a headache and food diary and limit caffeine consumption to less than two caffeine-containing beverages a day. Applying cold packs to the head or pressing on the bulging artery in front of the ear on the painful side of the head may provide temporary pain relief.
You can also try OTC pain killers. If still the symptoms persist, then please consult a physician for specific anti-migraine therapy.

I hope that helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.Kind regards.
Thank you so much for your response.   I used to have migranes (migraines) years ago but they stopped about 8 years ago.  If this is a migrane (migraine) that I am getting why would I also have extreme pain in the sinus.  When I used to get migranes (migraines) years ago it never included sinus pain.  The pain was on one side of my head but on the top of my head.  These headaches I am getting with then weather does a huge change by 30 degrees or so is pain right in my sinus area.  Above my forehead and on my cheeks and is right in the area where I suffer from sinus.   I am just not sure they are migraines.  Have you heard of having a true migrane (migraine) and also severe sinus pressure?  I did not know they could come together.  Also another factor is when the humidity is very low like in Los Angeles and has been the past few days ago, I also seem to get this type of sinus headache.  When I sit in an airconditioned room to long or run the airconditioning in my car to long, then I seem to get this same headache and again it is all in the front of the face where the sinus are.  Do you still think they can be migraines or is there such thing as sinus migraines?  Thanks for all of your assistance.  All my best,  Joyce
I think you might have non allergic rhinitis, which is caused by change in weather,
smoke , odors, and can cause inflammation of the sinuses, I think I have it because I live in Orange County, CA and have a problem with serious weather changes.

I get small sinus headache and have tender area above eyebrows when I touch them,
it all starts after rain and weather change.

If you are having such kind of sinus pains along with the headache,then they cannot be mighrines but indded sound like sinus headaches.This can be due to sinusitis. It can be due to allergic nasal polyps or tumors,allergic reactions,deviated nasal septum,trauma to the face,respiratory tract infections,allergies such as hay fever,immune system cells or cystic fibrosis.
But first of all, the diagnosis of sinusitis or sinus infection has to be confirmed. This can be done through transillumination (passing light through the sinuses) or Sinus X-rays or CAT scan of sinuses.

I sincerely advise you to consult an ENT specialist and get it done.Then trteatment will depend on the factor causing it.