Allergy Community
Sinus Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Sinus Pain

For almost four years I have had chronic pain in my sinuses and nose. I have had MRI's of the brain, CAT scans of the sinuses and the only results are a slight thicking of my sinuses.

I have tried many over the counter remedies and nothing seems to be helping. Some remidies actually make the pain worse. I have tried different pain relivers, migraine meds, sinus sprays, sinus rinses and allergy medications.

I have had very minor allergies all of my life. The most significant one was to sever temporature changes that caused hives and breathing issues. I have mild congestion but have never had any sinus infections.

Looking for some different type of treatment that might be effective in stopping the problem for more than just a few hours.
Tags: "sinus pain, Allergies, treatment
Have you seen an ENT or allergist?

Have you tried saline sinus rinses?  You can get a bottle (or netti pot) for this at any pharmacy.  Try using it twice a day.

I pray that you get some answers.  It is never fun to not know what is going on.
My boyfriend is plagued with the same problems.  He has even had sinus surgery twice and I DO NOT recommend that you do that because it sounds like you have allergy problems.  My boyfriend had his septum straightened, which helps him breathe, but the sinus opening and scrapping did not help him because his problem is allergies.  That sounds like your issue too.

You really need to get an allergy test at the Ear-Nose-Throat (ENT) doctor.  They have many types of allergy tests now, most common is the skin scratch test where they put various things like pollen from grass, trees, molds, pet dander, etc under the skin to see what you react to.  They can then determine the best allergy medication to make for you.  It can be in the form of drops or shots.  I have not tried this myself and my boyfriend is stubborn and isn't doing it, but from others, I've heard it really works.  It takes a while for the allergy medication to build in your system (up to 2 years) before you get relief, but it's your only hope at this point.

Good luck!
I have been to both an ENT and an Allergist. The ENT does not feel I need surgery. The Allergist tested me but only found a very slight reaction to Mold. The Allergist said there are no shots for that type of allergy.

I have tried several types of Saline Sprays and Sinus Rinses. While they help with the congestion they always make the pain worse. This is true even no matter how often I use them.