Allergy Community
Strange Allergy Symptoms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Strange Allergy Symptoms

I started out this week with a sore throat and felt like I had a bug of some kind.  I got up this morning with nausea, shakiness and feeling generally ill.   The nurse at the e.r. told me everyone is suffering horribly with Mountain Cedar allergies, and the pollen is worse this year than it ever has been in West Texas.  I live 150 miles west of Dallas.

I have even had pains hit my joints but that finally stopped.  Someone told me that allergies can manifest in many ways with all kinds of symptoms.  Is it possible to feel nausea and feel bad like I did this a.m. from mt. cedar pollen?  I do also have anxiety and it may be since this is an immune system thing, maybe it was acting on the anxiety to cause the nausea and ill feeling.  I have also felt extremely fatigued.  Thanks.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Symptoms of dry cough, runny nose and throat irritation could also be due to allergens. These are substances like pollen, dust, animal dander, certain foods, insect venoms and certain medications. Exposure to allergens causes a runny nose with a resultant post nasal drip where secretions from the nose go backward into the throat and irritate. You will need to see if repeated episodes occur with exposure to the allergen. Discuss these options with your consulting doctor.

In the meantime for relief from your symptoms you could do warm salt gargles and take OTC antihistamines.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thanks so much Dr. Anitha.  I'm doing much better now.  We have had a lot of people sick here with cedar fever.  That was my first real bad experience with it.

Thanks again.