Allergy Community
Sushi

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Sushi

I have been eating sushi for about 10 years now.  About a year ago, I ate 2 different types of rolls and had an allergic reaction.  Bright red face (blueish), and skin - everywhere that the sun could touch.  It also came with a HUGE headache and rapid pulse.  The reaction lasted for about 8 hours.  About 6 months later, I ate sushi again,  but ordered completely different items.  I had the same symptoms, but much more violent.  My entire body was bright red - including the whites of my eyes.  I had an unbearable headache, nausea and diarrhea. It lasted for 12 hours, and I felt nauseas for 3 days.  Since then, I have been able to eat sushi two more times with no reaction - until today - when it started all over again.  All of these meals have been at the same restaurant.  Any thoughts as to what could be causing the reaction?  I'm pretty positive it isn't shellfish, because I eat shrimp and crab all the time without any problems.
Hello I am looking for help too. I have been eating sushi for a while now but yesterday my sushi included crab eggs, i am not sure it was those that cause me and my sister to immediately feel like our head was going to blow up, my face started to stretech and my back started hurting. My sisters arms started to numb and we felt a weird tikeling all over.

Any idea?

In most cases, it is difficult to point out the exact substance causing the allergic reaction. You could be allergic to some substance or substances being used at the restaurant.

You should keep oral antiallergic and antihistamine medications at hand for a sudden unprecedented flare up of symptoms or an allergic reaction to unknown substances.

You also need to consult an allergy specialist since you have multiple episodes till now and talk to the doctor if an allergy testing is required or not.

Let us know if you have any other doubts and also keep us posted about how you are doing.

Hope this helps.

Regards.
I just had a similar experience---I eat fish frequently (raw and cooked) and only twice in all my life had mild to severe allergic reactions. Was doing some research about fish allergies online and found this:

http://foodallergies.about.com/od/seafoodallergies/p/fishallergy.htm

Which references a fish parasite found most commonly in raw fish (Anisakis) which, when it infects humans, can cause symptoms similar to fish allergy. More info anisakis here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisakis

You should ask your doctor if you could have been exposed to Anisakis.
sumtimes u can develop an allergy u never thought u had. I used to eat melon all the time when i was a kid and now i break out whenever i eat it.
About a month ago I tried some sushi for the first time and it was good I liked it. About a half hour later i began feel in light headed to where I blacked out. Could that be cuz of the sushi. Could I be allergic to it?