Is anyone aware of an effective treatment for Toxic Mold Exposure? I'm having chronic perpetual frontal head pressure that my MD calls "Tension headaches." He suspects mold exposure & tested me for IgE reactions to toxic molds such as Aspergilosis & we tried various antifungals, IV Vitamin C, Cholestyramine & allergy shots targeted to the molds I reacted to. I gave it a year & it hasn't helped. My ENT gave me a CT scan & few nasal sprays but didn't think surgery would help. I'm curious if anyone has been treated successfully for molds?
Toxic mold is the mold that produces mycotoxins. There are many routes of exposure to molds including dermal contact, ingestion, and inhalation. Treatment includes avoidance of allergen. Maintain/clean dehumidifiers and air conditioners regularly. Air filters of the ac trap allergens, like molds, dust and pollen. When the filters do not work properly, allergens may be released into the air, causing typical allergy symptoms, such as watery eyes, runny nose, and wheezing. Wash shower curtains, bathroom tiles, and grout regularly and use a dehumidifier in your house.
You can use OTC antihistaminic like benadryl, zyrtec.Nasal decongestants and corticosteroids are also useful. If there is any difficulty in breathing then bronchodilators can be used. In severe cases, Immunotherapy is advised.
Sometimes the phenomenon of cross reactivity is seen. People who are allergic to molds may also show allergy to dust mites and pollen. So pls try to avoid them as much as possible.
Take care and do keep us posted on how your mother is doing.
Hi Kim. I know this post is old... I hope you are no longer suffering from this. If you are: I have the same exact problems as you... Unlike some of these other people who claim to but also have brain tumors (I do not). I am starting to suspect mold in the sinuses, as I have tried everything to else to correct it (antibiotics, steroids, allergen medicine). I will be getting surgery soon on my sinuses, as well as surgery to correct my deviated septum, and I'll let you know what they find.
The reason why anti-funguls do not work is because mold rarely invades the actual tissue of your sinuses, it rather just lives inside the open area. I'm sorry that you have been suffering for so much longer than me.
Also, if you haven't tried already - try changing your diet? Stop eating gluten and dairy for a month and see what happens.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.