Allergy Community
Toxic Mold Exposure treatment?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Toxic Mold Exposure treatment?

Is anyone aware of an effective treatment for Toxic Mold Exposure? I'm having chronic perpetual frontal head pressure that my MD calls "Tension headaches." He suspects mold exposure & tested me for IgE reactions to toxic molds such as Aspergilosis & we tried various antifungals, IV Vitamin C, Cholestyramine & allergy shots targeted to the molds I reacted to. I gave it a year & it hasn't helped. My ENT gave me a CT scan & few nasal sprays but didn't think surgery would help. I'm curious if anyone has been treated successfully for molds?

Toxic mold is the mold that produces mycotoxins. There are many routes of exposure to molds including dermal contact, ingestion, and inhalation. Treatment includes avoidance of allergen. Maintain/clean dehumidifiers and air conditioners regularly. Air filters of the ac trap allergens, like molds, dust and pollen.  When the filters do not work properly, allergens may be released into the air, causing typical allergy symptoms, such as watery eyes, runny nose, and wheezing. Wash shower curtains, bathroom tiles, and grout regularly and use a dehumidifier in your house.

You can use OTC antihistaminic like benadryl, zyrtec.Nasal decongestants and corticosteroids are also useful. If there is any difficulty in breathing then bronchodilators can be used. In severe cases, Immunotherapy is advised.

Sometimes the phenomenon of cross reactivity is seen. People who are allergic to molds may also show allergy to dust mites and pollen. So pls try to avoid them as much as possible.

Take care and do keep us posted on how your mother is doing.
Hi Kim. I know this post is old... I hope you are no longer suffering from this. If you are: I have the same exact problems as you... Unlike some of these other people who claim to but also have brain tumors (I do not). I am starting to suspect mold in the sinuses, as I have tried everything to else to correct it (antibiotics, steroids, allergen medicine). I will be getting surgery soon on my sinuses, as well as surgery to correct my deviated septum, and I'll let you know what they find.

The reason why anti-funguls do not work is because mold rarely invades the actual tissue of your sinuses, it rather just lives inside the open area. I'm sorry that you have been suffering for so much longer than me.

Also, if you haven't tried already - try changing your diet? Stop eating gluten and dairy for a month and see what happens.