Allergy Community
Weird Smell in my Nasal passage will not go away.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

I have had nasal problems for years, nasal polyps, sinus surgery sinus infections etc. For many years I have experien ced smells that reside in my nasal passages. I recently had nasal polyps removed for a second time and am on an aggressive treatment of antibiotic, antihistamine, and allergy medications.
Since I have had this smell for many years when people ask me to identify it, I can't because I have only this smell to reference so I can not compare it to anything else.
What I have noticed, and what I have yet to read in my research is that WHEN ANY OTHER SMELL IS PRESENT, I CAN SMELL MY WEIRD SMELL IN PLACE OF IT. So, if a strong smell is present, I smell my smell stronger. It appears the smell comes and goes, but it actually gets triggered by other smells. I have spoken to my ENT and she hasn't got a clue. I wonder if there is some kind of study being done on this phenomenon? I have cleaned out my Sinuses with alkalol(not misspelled) and a baking soda and salt water solution on a regular basis, but it does nothing to reduce the smell. I can even put vicks vaporub under my nose to try to overpower the smell but nothing helps.
Are there any real Doctors out there that can come up with a solution? I'm totally at a loss...
Everybody thinks I'm mad.... i have the SAME problem now for 2 weeks.  Its TERRIBLE... help please
i got this same prob ..i think its our sputum smell...its kinda weird smell...but if u eat honey and take steam, it will go away..tht works for me everytime...
Same problem here. Started 2 weeks ago. The odor that I am smelling is that of fumes. Feels like I am sitting in a closed in garage with a car running. Help!
same here for months now started with flu like them to lungs, thought I was better after 12 weeks of flu, then the smells in my nose, sinus, lungs?..HORRID and some are very distinct and also some are multiple, some are triggered by certain smells, sometime I smell smoke, exhaust, rancid, just hard to explain, it drives me crazy!
]And my nose will burn also my lips. nothing really smells like it should and most things smell horrible, taste too....
This is going to sound real strange but I get a really weird smell in my nose from time to time.  I noticed that if I don't wear deoderant the smell goes away.  I have switched deoderants 3 times in the last 6 months and I'm still looking for one that doesn't cause this odor in my nose.  Sounds weird I know, but try it, it may be that, it's worth it if it goes away.
I have this weird smell, sort of burning, amonia (ammonia), sensation.  I also have a post nasal drip which requires mucinix to get it out of my throat.  The doctor put me on Omnaris and I am taking penecillin tablets.   I have had this problem for about eight weeks.  Sometimes are worse than others.  I have never had a problem like this  before ever.  I had a serious cold at the beginning of the summer which lasted a long time. I hope it goes away.  any suggestions?
I've had this weird smell before.  Everyone else thought I was nuts, too.  Don't listen to them.  I have allergies and I've had sinus infections.  Netti pots are a great solution.  I've even gotten rid of sinus infections with this nasal wash without the use of antibiotics.  I don't smell that awful smell so often any more.  This really helps a lot.
I had something similar to that except it only seemed to be noticeable when I put saline spray in my nose. The smell was kind of like moldy socks.

I've been through a lot of trouble with my sinuses too. Surgery and such, treatment for allergies, but didn't get much improvement until I treated myself for a fungal infection.
I have fungal sinusitis, which is chronic.  Most doctors will not recognize this as a condition because they assume that yeast infections are controlled by our immune system, unless you have HIV or another auto immue disease.  

The Mayo Clinic has done much research on this. It appears by their data, and other labs have verified it, that everyone who has chronic allergies and sinus infections has fugal sinusitis. The fungus grows, the esinophiles in your immune system attack it and kill it, but in the process the proteins released by the esinophiles tear tissue in the sinuses and opens them for bacterial infection.

When you think you are having allergies, it is the yeast being attacked by the esinophiles, not histamines.  So allergy meds often don't work well.  Then after your so called allergies stop, you are left with a sinus infection.

The use of antibiotics and steriods will make this condition worse.  The antibiotics change the body chemistry to the extent that the yeast can grow and the immune system cannot fight it off.  Steroids kill the immune system, so the yeast gets worse and often can go into the lungs and cause asthma.  The Mayo Clinic has also found fungal residue in all asthma patients.  They have shown that using anti fungals orally will greatly help asthma patients. It helps them so much, they don't even need their inhalers.

I use a nasal irrigation system at least three times a day. I also get nasal irrigation medications from Sinucare.  I use an antifungal wash and an antibiotic wash.  Both are used topically in the sinuses.  Unless you are dying and have no choice, do not use antibiotics orally and never intraveinous.  

I have been off antibiotics and doing this irrigation routine for 2 1/2 years, and I am normal most of the time.  This condition is chronic and will never go away.  So I'm always fighting the yeast, then bacteria. The immune system gets tired and it always comes back, especially if you get stressed.

When I have fungal balls in my nose I can smell ammonia, garbage, or this weird hard to explain smell. Its like a waxy perfumey smell. But, they wash out and after a day, it goes away for a while.  

Also, probiotics, which antibiotics kill, are important to take on a regular basis.

Do some fungal sinusitis research on the web, and good luck finding a doctor to listen to you. You can go to Sinucare (www.sinuspray.com) and they may be able to help you find a doctor in your area who understands. You need a prescription to get the sinus washes.  

I went to a doctor and took all my research data, papers, ect. and I gave her a presentation of the Mayo Clinic research.  So now she gives me prescriptions for the washes.  But she had never heard of the Mayo data until I told her.
I believe I have suffered with this condition for most of my 47 years. Two weeks ago, in the middle of fighting another sinus attack, I spent the days searching the internet, when  I hit upon the information you have described, Cassianna.  I dropped of the info to my doctor, told him to call me if this was hooey, started self treatment, and am doing splendid without his help.  I can't remember if I have ever felt this good in my life.
That is wonderful! What are you using? I have a Sinupulse machine that is made to flush out the sinuses. It is fabulous. I'll use that with a salt water solution and then use a syringe to irrigate with 16 mls of antifungal/antibiotic wash in each side.  

I was at a point where I could not taste or smell anything, 2 years ago.  Now I can almost smell everything. Plus, it used to make me so fatigued, now I'm almost full energy again.  It is considered to be an autoimmune disease because it taxes your immune so much to be constantly battling yeast.  

Even after all this time, I still have bad days.  Today was one. I had that ammonia smell this morning, and I felt like crap. Now its gone and I'm feeling like eating. The longer you do this, the better you get. You can irrigate out polyps and fungal balls.  I've seen fungal balls come out of mine, a year ago. I didn't know what they were, then I found a paper on Aspergillus (aspergillosis) and fungal balls in the sinuses, and they described exactly what I had. It comes from over use of antibiotics, plus I'm sensitive to fungal spores in the environment. I'm sure I have Candidas too. I get it on my skin when it gets real bad.
If I take anitbiotics, I get athletes foot on my whole body. I have to take oral antifungals.

Here is a link to a summery of the Mayo study. They did this in 1999!

http://www.mayoclinic.org/ent-rst/chronicsinus.html
I am using just a plain old "douche" bottle that comes with the sinus rinse kit. I started using it couple years ago on the advice of the ENT, with an "inhaler". Actually, I had been prescribed the "inhaler" stuff god knows how long ago, even though I kept telling them they didn't work, and they would tell me that this was the latest and greatest, and  to try it. I guess you and I know what that does- thank god I didn't use it much,  usually it was just when I was stuffed up, so it didn't really get a chance to screw me up too bad.

The one real bad thing I did, I think, was that I used water off my tap for the rinse, and I am on a well. (You see this coming, don't you?) I think our well water has a fair amount of bacteria in it. Anyway, I got myself a bacterial infection a couple of times, wasn't until this last episode that the light came on in my head. I was told that this was a deep well, and I thought it was safe, but got to thinking about it, and stopped using tap water, and got purified water to use, and that helped. Anyway, got that part figured out, what a relief to at least give my system some kind of a chance.

Other than the rinse, I am taking GSE, about 10 drops to a glass, about 4 times a day, and also I am taking enzyme supplement, and a "broad" probiotic, which I hope I can reduce to acidophilus in a few weeks, will see.

Not sure if I will require the oral antifugal drug or not, still improving every day, going to stay the course and see. After all the miserable times of failed doctoring, still expect things to back slide one day, but have had about 2 weeks of steady improvement, so every day is great for me.

About a year ago, I expected I would be dead today, I felt so bad. I was dizzy, tired, blurry vision, spots in my vision, a dry cough when laying down, hurt everywhere, notwithstanding that I had not been able to breathe through my nose for months. Just getting up to walk across the room, my heart rate would zoom up. I still managed to get out and walk and lift weights, but just through force of will. I was ready to just throw in the towel, go get a bunch of life insurance, and wait for the end. I had so much pain in my joints and muscles, I had to grit my teeth and just walk or whatever. I was seriously just tired of fighting.

Today, I had the best day of feeling good.

Well, hope to fill you in on my experience more someday, should go do something else for awhile before bed.

I wanted to comment to perhaps clarify to confused onlookers to those last postings- (And I want to disclaim myself, and say I am not an expert per se, just someone who suffered for years, and thinks he found the answer)

I think there are at least two adverse situations with regard to fungus, One being allergic, which is what the Mayo article posted by Cassianna describes. The second situation is what is called infection, or "overgrowth". (From what I've learned, at lot of times, overgrowth can occur when one has been on "Broad Spectrum" antibiotics, especially for an extended period of time-)  Let's even go so far to speculate that maybe a person could have both?

Anyway, I think it is important for me to share my experience, but I don't want to screw someone else up by giving advice that doesn't apply to them, but I think this problem I have is more widespread than I would ever have guessed. Hope I helped at least one person out there figure out their problem.

My 14 year old son has the worst nose odor every few weeks or so.  I describe the oror as "moth balls mixed with fecal matter".  It is pungent and it is hard to stay in the same room with him.  At first I thought it was coming from his mouth but realized it was his nose.  I took him to an ENT, he has surgery to remove his tonsils, adnoid (adenoid) tissue and a turbine reduction (last month).  The odor has come back twice.  It is back now.  We did the neti pot and all he gets out is clear mucus, the odor does go away after the neti pot but returns in a couple of weeks.  I asked his ENT to do a scan but he said, "no it is just his sinus, crust, it will go away."  This really concerns me because I am afraid there is something more going on with this.  This just started November 2009 and this is the third time the odor has come back.  Can anyone help or have any suggestions?
i thought i was the only one until after 2wks of searching i fount this site.tnk GOD!!! at first a year ago it was a metallic taste and smell then right after i got sick  for a week but the smell lasted alot longer.it came back 6months later and now it start again.i had it for 2months now but i dont taste anything just smell something like theres a die rat in my attic but im the only one that smells it. it annoying and giving me a headache.i think it has something to do wit my teeth or sinus infection one way or the other my azz will find a solution GOD bless u all
I have not read all of the posts; however will add my comments. I have had the same bad smell for months. Never to my memory have i had sinus  problems, astma or anything  most recently, I know I have cronic (chronic) sinitius as a result of a PET scan. i have only had this smell for months versus years as many have stated. At first i thought the smell was a result of  always using the oil reeds in my small condo. the odor seemed to start when i changed to a "go green" brand  purchased on sale at target and now discontined. i will return to this post after consulting with ENT next week. I have all my films that show the cronis sinititus.
I HAVE FOUND THE SIMPLE SOLUTION. For the last year I have had every bad smell there is. Poop, Bleach and any bad smell I come into. I have tried everything you have done and I had my mucus tested. I had ecoli and streph in my nasal cavity. How does that get there. I have tried antibiotics and I do rinse my nose out twice a day and have been doing that for at least six years. But I still had the smell.  Then about three week ago I saw on the Today Show the segment on bath toys.  How they had ecoli and streph on them. I began to think that my syringe might have that on it. I began rinsing and taking my syringe apart every time I use it. I clean it once a day with alcohol and let it air dry. Would you know that I do not smell any of that any more. Could it be that simple.

I started having this horrible smell about two days ago. It was the beginning of Spring and my allergies started acting up. Not too unusual for me, considering I've had bad Sinus/Respiratory problems most of my life. I get Ear/Sinus infections ALL THE TIME. I'm not over exaggerating. I get one every two or three months. Needless to say, I've been taking antibiotics to treat these constant infections for a long time.

Unfortunately, no one believes me. I guess because they can't smell this horrendous odor.Everything I eat TASTES like the smell, too. And I don't smell ANYTHING but the smell. My favorite perfume now smells like vomit. The smell was so revolting I threw up. All foods now taste like vomit. I can't eat anything! Which is very bad for me because my weight fluctuates, I lose weight too easily. I can't go without food for very long at all. But I can't eat anything. I just want this go away.

Please tell me of some natural treatments that can help me. I don't want to take anymore antibiotics, because I feel they may have had a helping hand in causing this awful smell/taste.

If someone could please tell me what helps with this problem, I'd be very appreciative.
Just wondering what previous conditions you used and stored that syringe under and what you used it with, plain water?

I leave mine standing in leftover saline solution, so I'm wondering if I am at the same risk there or not, or whether you were just using plain water and leaving the syringe wet or something.
I used to rinse my syringe out with water but never take it apart to dry. I would stick it down under the sink in a closed cabinet. It was not dirty but I just laid it in the cabinet. After I saw that show on tub toys, I took it apart, rinsed it with hot water and then I would pour a small amount of alcohol in it and rinse off the middle part. I would again lay it in the cabinet, but now I lay it on a clean dry washcloth. I would let it air dry. I have not had the bad smells since I have been doing this. I do think that there has been some damage done to my smeller because I still don't smell like I used to, but not the bad smells. I hope it helps you. It has been a year this month that it all started. I took antibiotics for six months straight, plus a flush that my specialist had a pharmacy make. After all of that I think the infection went away, but I still had the smells. Now they are gone and it is nice not to smell poop all the time.
Just to share other opinions.. I'm 19 y o and South Korean. There's LOTS of questioning going on online community here and I found something interesting that this smell is air surrounding us tends to be stagnant? and permeated on us. that's why our family doesn't notice it because at home our nose is adobted well. and he said(this is not my opinion) reason could be our nose membranes not functioning well enough to pass smell molecules out of us(I hope you guys understand what I mean through my broken English. :) ) And(quote) There's two lines left and right tightening up our body which normal people they are connected vertically and solidly. If one of them is broken that can be recovered by other but ours is both broken so air inside us goes out without any feelings and smell outside coming in without control. I'm not 100% sure and when I went to a chiropracter with my mom he didn't believe me and sent me to a psychiatrist. and medication didn't help at all to me. I'm not going to school and I just want to have a normal life like just taking my dog out once a day(I can't because people reacts sooo bad). I'm trying to not get stressed because that makes it worse. Can anyone help with this?
I was so glad when I found you all suffering with the same thing I have.  I thought I was going mad!  I have had a gassy/bloody smell in my nose for sooooo long now, maybe seven years.  It has been getting progressively worse until my partner started commenting on it and I felt self conscious.  That is when I did some research and found everyone on here.  My 'smelly nose' (as I call it) is worse when I am stressed, when I bend down, lie down, do exercise etc.  Also I can hear clicking in my sinus when I lie down in bed.  After the 'click' I can immediately smell the smell for about 2-3 minutes.

Anyway, I live in England and went to my GP who referred me to my local ENT department at the hospital.

I had a CT scan and they found I have chronic sinusitis in my right maxillary sinus.  It is completely blocked with and bony cyst inside.  I have been prescribed Nasonex steroid spray which is to keep the whole area calm.  On June 14th 2010 I will be having functional endoscopic sinus surgery (FESS) and also sinuplasty to correct the bend in the cartilage inside my nose.  Apparently the bent cartilage is restricting the air flow to the bad side of my nose compounding the problem.

I urge people to go to their Drs rather than putting up with it.  I'll keep you all posted with how I get on.
Another possibility besides the fungal infection...

Parosmia and/or Phantosmia.

Parosmia is a distortion of smells.  Phantosmia is smelling something when there is no odor present.  Both are thought to be caused by damage to the olefactory nerve.  This damage can be healed over time though in most cases.

I will come back later to post some links.  There are several dr around that US that research and treat these conditions.

You are not alone.  There are many people with various forms of dysosmia (smell disorders) out there.
I read through some of the related discussions (listed at the bottom of the list here).  I saw that Dr. Arpano did suggest phantom smells or phatosmia in one of them with several possible causes.  

Some terms those of you suffering with these smells might want to research include: dyosmia (all smell disorders), parosmia (distorted smells - food smells foul or like something else), phantosmia (smells that no one else can smell), anosmia (loss of the sense of smell), and dysgeusia (disorders of the sense of taste).  

Here are some links to resources and possible treatments for you to try:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10671709?dopt=Abstract

http://chemse.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/27/7/611

Treatments:  http://www.egms.de/static/en/journals/cto/2005-4/cto000012.shtml

Treatments:   http://personal.ecu.edu/wuenschk/Parosmia-Treatment.htm

Clinics treating smell and taste disorders:  http://www.senseofsmell.org/feature/whitepaper/clinics.php

A variety of links:  http://www.webmd.com/search/search_results/web_results.aspx?sourceType=web_search&query=smelling%20disorders
I've had this type of smell and excessive mocus for some months. What I now last days have tried seem to take eliminate it with immediate effect. I think you should all try this.. And best thing.. It's natural treatment.

This is what I do:
Buy good quality ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar), and mix it about 1:20 with water. I think actually I make it weaker than that. I just poor one cm in bottom of a liter bottle, then fill up with water.

Fill this in a small spray bottle. I used a little perfume-sample spray, that I washed and then filled with ACV-mix. Spray 3-4 times in each nastral while you breath in, so that it gets far up. You may lean your head back slightly, but not really necessary. Leave it for 2-4 minutes, then blow your nose, each nastral at a time, to try to get out whatever may have loosened. Repeat a couple of times.  This made it all go away for me, at least last days it has not returned. If it's more persistent I suggest to repeat this spray 2-3 times a day. When you blow your nose, move your nose around a bit (with your face muscles), in order to try to get out all lose stuff possible.

Also you should drink this one liter of ACV mix each day. Just zip a little all during the day. This I think may attack your problem both from the outside and inside at the same time, that's why I make such a big mix bottle. I don't think it is necessary to drink it for me, but maybe more helpful for others.

Try this and report back. I'm sick of reading all these post and no-one seem to get anything to work. I'm sure you can experiment with variable strength of the ACV mix.. But take it step by step. It's way too strong to use un-mixed, so don't be stupid.
btw

Good ACV .....

I'm no expert,  but the one I use is quite murky;  has a lot of "mother" in it. I think that is a good sign of quality. Some of the cheaper ones is perhaps not ACV at all, for what I know.. Anyway, try to get the best quality. It must be naturally pressed.  Mine is 6%, I guess that is normal.
I'm on a very strong antibiotic. Third one, my left cheek bone hurts, head hurts and when I breath in through my nose it hurts into the roof of my  mouth. Doctor says it is a chronic sinus condition but I have been dealing with this for three years off and on but this is the worst it has ever been and don't know what to make of it. My fear is that it could be cancer. Does this sound like that is what it could be? thanks very much. Appreciate all feed back if you have had any of these symptoms.
What a relief to hear I am not the only person suffering from this horrible problem.  I'm still trying to figure out where the smell is coming from, but I believe it is now coming from my nose or mouth from my insides.  I can't describe the smell, but it is strong and kind of mentholated.  I am a former smoker and believe the damage I've done during my smoking days could be the culprit however, it is quite alarming for me as I feel like people at my job smell it and it is loud and offensive.  I truly don't know what to do, I've gone to the doctor and she made me feel like I was crazy.  I think I will try the Apple Cider Vinegar to see what happens.  Any suggestions is strongly recommended.
Here are a little discovery from my latest experience:

I came over the link at the bottom, which made me suspect that the condition (sore, itchy, mucus buildup, smell) could be related to irritation of the hair follicles. I thought back and couldn't remember exactly when I bought my first nose hair trimmer and started to use it, but understood it could actually be around the time this problem started. So I now have not used it, and the problem seems to be about 90% gone. Maybe just some time needed to get away the very small indications left today. Other than stopping the trimming, I also stopped completely to pick the nose. Very important, as that clearly irritates/aggravates the condition. For your information I had some sore white spots just on the inside of both nasal edges, and it built up hard mucus laying on top of these, and if picked it could be maybe like a crust also.

It seems to me that the sinuses are overproducing mucus in order to build a crust of mucus on top of the irritated spots. Like a crust of mucus. Why would the body do this? Well, if you build such a crust there, unless you pick it, !!, it will dry out this itchy spot, make it non-itchy, and subsequently that condition will "retire".

Maybe this is the body's defense mechanism to heal this special type of skin layer inside the nasal passage.

It also made me think about the nasal hairs; that obviously they are there for a reason. Namely to filter /clean the air flowing in from particles etc. Part of that mechanism is perhaps to have some fresh mucus hanging on the hairs that acts as "glue", to capture these particles. Of course we likely don't need too much of that, probably just enough that it doesn't feel like u actually have something there. But if you start to cut the hair, perhaps the body starts to overproduce this mucus, because it detects that to much particles are entering.  

Well, these are just some thoughts I made around the discovery of what helped to possibly eliminate my condition. Maybe you have different origin, but anything could be worth trying I suppose.

I don't believe you should use antibiotics, and I don't believe you should make any surgery. At least try every natural way first. I don't think this staff stuff is dangerous, but if u keep aggravating it, they will just continue.

So to cut to the basics.. If you want to try this, just do this:

1. Don't pick! Let the mucus build up and dry out the condition. And only pick very very carefully when stuff is clearly already loosened by itself, and "ready to go". This would probably be maybe a week after you started this sabbatical treatment.

Btw; I advice to use the ACV as a start of this treatment. Dip some cotton balls in water-mixed-out-ACV (too make it not too strong), and stuff them up your nose for 10-15 minutes. Do this a couple of times. This should reduce/remove the imminent itching, and be a good start to then leave everything alone to build up and dry out by the body's own mechanisms, as described.
oh, forgot the link:
http://www.doctorhoffman.com/xcrust.htm
I'm happy to discover that I'm not the only one with this wierd smell in my nose.  I'm going to my doctor tomorrow and hopefully I'll come back with a solution.
Not only do i smell like something is burning i have a burning sensation on my tongue does anyone know why this happens
My boyfriend tells me a smell like raw gasoline comes from my rose. however, I dont notice it... anyone in a similar situation? Its embarrassing so I want to get rid of it, but I dont even know what to ask my doctor.

Josie Short
I think there may be a pattern here.... we need to make a group so that we can seriously chart each persons problem with this smell...it seems that there needs to be study done on this "phantom" smell as none of us appear to have the same symptoms..Hell we could all be alien abductions for all we know..lol...I'm just saying none of us are taken seriously and we all have a symptom we can't readily prove...makes me nervous as hell, and I've only had this for about 3 months..but after the research Ive done online, its creeeping me out...SERIOUSLY

Deidre

***@****
I have been dealing with the same problem for about 3 weeks. 3 weeks ago I could not get rid of a bakery type smell, not the good kind but just something baking. I asked others around me and they could not smell it. About two weeks ago a differant smell started and the closet I can define it is the smell of the carboard under a frozen pizza I have used vicks under my nose and can not get rid of it. I did have a bad cold about a month ago, and ended up taking anti biotics. I think I will try to flush it a few times to see if that helps. I will continue to watch this site for more ideas. Glad i am not the only person with this issue
Thanks for your postings.  I have been looking for a few days on the internet to find some information about this.  I am going to see a ENT specialist next week for my sinuses and i am also going to bring up the smell that seems to be coming from my nose (from the outside)...its weird because this just started a few weeks ago...it's a fishy smell which is just gross!! I am also going to try the Netipot and see how that works. Thank goodness there is a forum about this...Wonder if anyone else has experienced this smell also
Hi, just wanted to say that a few years ago I had a bout of this strange smell that you all mention. Also, sometimes when I bent over I would feel a "trickle" ( like when your  nose  runs when you have a cold)  but only in one nostril and the weird thing was I would use a tissue but there would be nothing there! When this happened I seemed to get the smell much stronger than at other times!
After months of this smell and several courses of different antibiotics,my Dr eventually sent me to the ENT dept at the hospital.
The ENT Dr looked in my nose and he told me that I had a hole in my sinus!!! Hence the awful smell and the reason I could feel it drain whenever I bent over. So, what I was smelling was the muck in my sinus!
With hindsight I remembered, 8 months previously, I had had a very bad bout of flu and I do remember at that time blowing my nose and getting an awful pain in my cheekbone but because I nearly always get sinusitus after flu I just assumed my problem was to do with that. The pain  was actually my sinus bursting!
Anyway I had to go on yet another course of antibiotics but mostly just had to wait for the hole to heal up naturally. I was told to it could happen again if I get the flu.The smell was horrendous! I know this may not be what you are all suffering with but I hope it might help someone!
I suppose I'll give an account of my experience as well, for whatever it might be worth in possibly helping us understand the problem.  There have been a lot of comments here that sound like my problem, and it's been helpful, but I can't quite figure out exactly where my trouble is coming from; Especially if stress is a factor.  I haven't tried any remedies yet, except saline spray for a few days, so I have no answers to offer, only more... experiential info.

I got the flu several years ago -- I don't even remember when -- and have had a lingering cough ever since.  Also, I work in a freezer, so I am always battling a runny nose.  Starting in mid-January this year, my life went from "stressed-but-very-happy", to "unhappy-and-increasingly-stressed-each-day".  Then in mid-February, my girlfriend wanted a dog, so we got her a puppy from the pound; and as soon as we got him, I smelled this smell, which I attributed to him.  I didn't think anything of it, because...hey, sometimes dogs smell.  So days went by and I still smelled the smell, and I thought she just hadn't washed the dog, and I'd commented (in a non-hassling, joking kinda way) about his smelling bad; to which she responded, "oh, he doesn't smell bad", which I just thought was because she just loved the new pup so much that she just loved even his smell.  It wasn't terrible, just... well, due to the circumstances, I describe it as a wet dog smell.  And for months, it wasn't ALL that strong; just a minor annoyance.  Oh, and also, my girlfriend and I both got the flu at about the end of February.

So, as the weeks went by, I continued to smell this smell.  Since it started when we got the dog, I thought that somehow I was just not able to get the smell out of my clothes.  I've gone for months thinking that was the problem; and because of the stress in my life, I wasn't worried enough about the smell to question it any more than that.  Then, maybe about the beginning of this month, the smell started getting worse, and has become strong enough that it's really bothering me now.  And like jpp2000 said in the original post, the smell is there most of the time, but flares up whenever there's another strong smell, like coffee, for instance.  Instead of coffee, I smell this smell.  I can still smell most things if I get close, especially sweet smelling things, like soap; and the flavor of foods is MOSTLY there, but sometimes this smell will overwhelm my sense of smell or taste.  And after reading some of the above comments, I also made a connection I hadn't yet made; I realized that over this last couple months, I've been feeling sore and achy all over, especially after resting a while.  I just thought it has been because of recent life changes, which have caused me to be less physically active, but now I'm not sure.

About last week, I did a search for "persistent smell in nose" and with probably too brief a search, I concluded I have sinusitis; and decided to try the saline spray someone recommended.  For three days it seemed that it might have made a SLIGHT improvement.  On the fourth day, I sat down and fell asleep for a couple hours sitting up, and woke up with sinus drainage going on, and had that thing that feels like a dry knot in the center of your head, behind your nose.  I stopped using the saline, thinking perhaps I'd overdone it (I'd never used it before).  That was three days ago.  The knot has been clearing out about like they normally do -- and I was up all night last night and my nose has been runny -- but the smell these three days has been worse than before.

I haven't tried any other remedies, but today I started searching again, and I intend to try the Apple Cider Vinegar, which I found out about this morning (at http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/sinus_infection.html ), before I found this forum.  Although I'm now a little unsure of what I'm fighting.  I'll try to post again if the ACV helps.  Hope this (regrettably long) story helps someone.
Please let me know how the acv works for you.  I too have had a horrible smell coming from my nose.  I had sinus surgery 5 years ago but the problem has returned.  I am using the nettie pot - sometimes 3 packets in a row because the smell is so bad.  It is so embarrassing and is ruining my life.  I am tired of hearing it is sinusitis, or a sinus infection - being given antibiotics and still it returns.  The last time I told my PCP I broke down crying and he told me to see the ENT.  I haven't made that appointment yet...
also - do any of you smoke?  
did you notice a difference when you quit?  I am smoking and putting off the
ent until I quit - thinking maybe it is the cigarettes. Years ago I quit for five years and still had a smell - I thought it was my breath then.  
I'm in the same boat as you are tos -- I've tried some of everything.  I have another appointment with my ENT tomorrow to see if Atropic Rhinitis might be causing this problem.  I read on another board that someone was cured after using Nasacourt for 2-3 months.  She said she had an intermittant nasal odor that happened a couple days a month.  The strong smell out of my nose (and mouth) occurs daily, and has the smell of piles of dirty socks, but also changes to a rotten egg smell.

I have a constant pain in my side that seems to coincide with the smell when it gets really strong.  Also during menstruation the smell goes through the roof.  I have to stay far away from people.  I pray all the time for God to show me where or what I'm overlooking.  I eat healthy, have no dental problems whatsoever... The anti-fungals that people have talked about on this post and nasal rinsing doesn't help either.

I'm also getting retested for HPylori to see if that might show up.  Its come up negative before.  Definitely post an update if find something that works.
Thanks for commenting.  This support is great - lets keep each other updated.  
I'm not a Doctor but I know that this kind of disease is unkown for most of Doctors out there it is called Ozena, also known as (atrophic rhinitis), is a rare chronic inflammatory disease that affects the lining of the nasal cavity.

Treatment involves combination of antibiotics and other types of medication, vitamin therapy and systemic estrogens geared toward reducing the crusting and eliminating the odor.
After treated avoid getting Flu or cold because it can trigger the previous condition if not treated in days.

If you feel that the whole world or air smells like an infected wound wrapped in a dirty sweat sock, that would be it.

Don't keep yourself in a close room, look for a Doctor on is 30s to 49 they may get is right.

I had that few years ago  and it lasted 7 years, only one Doctor got it rigth the youngest for sure. A surgery was required in my case it fixed most of the symptoms but the smell didn't go away, it just changed to different odors every week, sometimes  it smells medicine, burning rubber, asphalt, propane gas, fish  all bad thing,  it last 2 years after the surgery.

After try everything I joined a Christian Church. The smell would go away while I was in Church but I had to pray for that. One day while praying  in Jesus name I promise God that if  He would give me a cure I would server him for life. I got well in about 5 days after. I just feel bad for not keeping my promise. Try to keep yours or just don't promise anything .

http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec19/ch221/ch221g.html provides an extensive overview of the various types of rhinitis, including ozena
GOOD TO KNOW AM NOT ALONE.
I have to same problem!
It's been going on for a few weeks now,
It's smells like a old moldy warm bread or a oil (not cooking oil) in a cramped place!
What helps me us chewing strong mint leaf gum
Found it: It was eating foods that contain MSG.
For the longest time I couldn't figure out why my girlfriend's nose breath smelled insufferably foul some days and clean on other days. She didn't feel any different and couldn't tell when it happened. Finally tracked it down to MSG. The idea was hard to establish because most of the time she thought she didn't have any MSG, but of course that **** is randomly showing up everywhere under different names or not supposed to be there but is. Easy test: have a big meal of some vegan meat substitutes that are full of MSG and do the sniff test, the smell will be very strong within hours.
No more textured protein etc, clean smell since!
I have had a strange smell for about 8 months now started off as burnt toast smell now is just a disgusting mouldy type smell I had a ct scan last week and nothing showed up in my sinuses so am off to ENT doctor monday also abot a month ago I started getting dizzy spells ,My doctor told me it is more than likely benign positional vertigo but im not so sure ,just seems weird that it started with the smell now this dizzyness all I know its doing my head in and feel like im going crazy If anyone has had the same symptoms and has found out what it is can you please let me know i'm at my wits end "thanks" scruffy
I for the last few days I have had this smell, i seem to be inhaling through my nose.  I thought it was the food , my blanket, even me. Now three days into this weird experience, I have tried to think of what may have caused it?  In my own personal experience, i have been under a GREAT deal of stress.  I don't know if anyone that has this problem may be under unusual stress, but it is all i can come up with that could be the trigger?   I cupped my hands over my mouth and nose and only breathed only through my nose, i smell it?  Everything i eat smells like it. Could our body react to enormous stress, and cause this?  I am drinking lots of water in hopes to cleanse my body and hopefully i will settle down the stress level and this will subside? Will post results!
Mookie
I had 2 upper teeth extracted in April, after a month on antibiotics.Just before the anesthetic knocked me out, I had a huge ball of mucus in the back of my throat that I thought i was about to choke on. The day after having the teeth pulled, I started having a weird puff of warmth on that side of my mouth. It sort of feels like nose, sort of like mouth, and smells/tastes like rotting festering moldy yeasty mildew nastiness. It is HORRIBLE.

I went back to the oral surgeon several times, he said my sinus was not damaged in surgery, and proclaimed i was fine. It is sickening, I am always sucking on peppermints. I was on antibiotics from March to the end of June. The taste only got worse. Saw an ENT in June who put me on Diflucan, for thrush/fungal infection. I was on it for 20 days  and in about 10 days, the smell was GONE!  

However, he said I had a deflated sinus with infection and said he felt the rotting taste was coming from there, plus I have not been able to blow my nose, it goes backwards. I had surgery August 12, a balloon procedure to open up my sinus, had a lot of infection/pus cleaned out, and also had my septum straightened. (horrid surgery that I still haven't recovered from, but the first two weeks are hell on earth!)

TWO weeks after surgery, the nasty taste/smell started up again. I had been on an antibiotic after surgery, and it was continued when I reported the smell/taste was back. During all this, I was rinsing my nose 3x a day with Neti pot or bottle, which "sometimes" helps the taste.

I have BEGGED my ENT doctor to give me more Diflucan treatment because I have only been free of this smell since taking that for yeast infection. Since I was on antibiotics from March to June, and then from August 12 to Sept 12, and was only free of this MOLDY YEASTY taste for a period from early July to August 26, I swear it is related to Candida/yeast/fungus, whatever you want to call it. I have other symptoms throughout my body indicating a yeast issue, also.

I have a follow up next week and am hoping this ENT puts me on Diflucan again. Been through with antibiotics for a week now. My gynecologist will only give me ONE 150mg yeast pill -- that does not help. It is the course of Diflucan daily 100mg a day for 10 days that made that taste go away!  Then just a couple of weeks after starting antibiotics again, here comes the nasty taste.

And I take massive probiotics, am otherwise pretty healthy..but this nasty sickening taste is going to drive me INSANE, it is SO disgusting. My husband says it is not my breath, I breathe on him to check it all the time. No, it is coming out of one side of my nose, and it feels like a puff of heated smelly stuff. It is like my nose is passing gas!  I can taste AND smell it. I feel crazy, no one seems to believe me, but literally, it will suddenly POUR into my mouth or throat, bitter and nasty. NOT metallic, not a bloody taste.

I want yeast meds!!!!
I have the same smell problem.  Everything smells like chocolate mixed with celery.  Coffee, chicken, poop, everything smells like chocolate mixed with celery, it is driving me crazy.  My symptoms started when I could not smell smoke.  Now, everything that has a smell, smells the same.  Chocolate and celery.  I went to the Dr.  he sent me for a CAT scan.  He found nasal polyps, inflamed nasal passages and a diveated septum.  He started me on nasal steroids about 6 weeks ago.  They are a little better, not great.  Next week I am going to the ENT Dr. to get the polyps removed, I hope it works.
after reading 50 posts i came across yours. I hve the exact same thing. It almost seems like your hands smell when you cover your nose and breath in, right? I can only describe my smell as the fumes over a burning gas stove. Or maybe the smell a cars leaves if left running in the garage a little while. I used to be addicted to Afrin/Vicks type nose sprays, but have not used them for nearly a year. I dont have sinus problems,pains, or stuffiness. Just on and off, this weird smell.
I have had the same problem for the past month.  I first thought there must be a bushfire occuring where I live.  No-one else could smell the smoke.. then I realise that it was something going on in my nose.  The smell has remained persistent and sometimes smell more like a petrochemical smell.  I live and work in a rural natural environment, so I have ruled petrochemical odours affecting me.  I went to the city this weekend and founf that the smell got worse when I was in the traffic.  I am going to try the Apple Cider Vinegar and if it doesn't work I will seek assistance from a medical professional and a Natropath.
I'm so glad I'm not going crazy either! I've been experiencing a similar persistent exhaust smell on and off for years. It seems to come on in the winter (I live in New York where the dry heat and cold air really affects my sinuses) and lasts until the weather warms up and the air is more humid. I had never had any problems until after my first terrible sinus infection 7 years ago (shortly after I moved to the East Coast from CA). After that my sense of smell was significantly diminished in general, and then a few years later this endless exhaust smell starting happening.

I haven't seen an ENT yet because I'm terrified of the nasal probe. But I've been using a neti pot and saline rinse daily for the last year which really has helped with my seasonal allergies. I do feel constantly exhausted though, and I'm realizing from forums on sinusitis that it's likely all connected.

Recently I took a long overseas flight which seems to have triggered the smell again. I assume that the dry conditions on the plane exacerbated my condition.

I'd like to avoid antibiotics and steroids if possible. Going to try drinking the ACV/water mix and also adding a little ACV to my neti saline solution. Will report back.

I am happy to report back that the Apple Cider Vinegar with the "mother" ingredient has worked for me.  The smell has gone after a couple of weeks of morning and evening application using cotton buds dipped in ACV.  The smell came back about one month later and I repeated the application and the smell went a second time.  I have not had any problems since.  I would highly recommend this treatment prior to any other medical interventions.
I too have had this..use a neti pot with distilled water( 1 pint) and 1 tsp. sea salt...and 2 drops tea tree oil(bought mine at WalMart by vitamins) have been doing this 2 times a day....all cleared up within 3 days
This is exactly what I have. Ive been treating an over growth of Candida albicans for the past two months, the improvements have been phenomenal. I had or still kind of have severe fatigue, migraines, IBS, itching, and my eyes would swell up with hives. I stopped taking sugar and yeast in my diet.  I started taking anti fungal tablets (herbal) calld Dida and am taking pro biotics daily. My diet is really strict at the moment.
However, last weekend I went on a stag and drank lots of beer, first time in months. Six days later I still feel hungover, have a headache and can barely get out of bed Im so tired. The weirdest thing that hasn't happened to me before is this indescribable smell and taste Im experiencing. It's this waxy, perfumey, plastic type of smell, its so bad I binned my food thinking it was the food. Its gradually disappearing, using the nasal rinses and back on my strict no sugar/yeast diet.It's unbelievable what this condition or reaction can do to your body. Its only when I got a bit better that I can now see how horrible it made me feel both physically and mentally (lots of anxiety). I've gone to so many doctors, specialists, allergists etc in the past, I've spent thousands and I ended up diagnosing myself with this. The diet seems to be working, its tough to do but it beats feeling terrible all the time.
  Hello!!   I was diagnosed with Allergic Aspergillus (aspergillosis) ball 10 years ago but was too scared to go through with surgery. I now have constant headaches and the "Fishy" smell that first allerted me to the problem. I suffer constantly with coughs, headaches, tinitus, excessive mucus and sore throats. This could have been sorted a long time ago if I had been brave enough to undergo surgery. I have just turned 60 and have decided to contact my ENT doc again to see if he will put me back on waiting list for NHS OP. If anyone on this site is a new sufferer... please get sorted asap. Things only get progressively worse and you have to get it sorted in the end. Good luck to you all..... .. Magsi in Uk

Yeah its like an ammonia type smell. I would clean my nose out and the smell would seem to get stronger at times. Im seriously gonna go crazy. And like every one else....im the only one who smells it.
I am so pleased have found this chat line. My "phantom " smell and taste .. it started with a "bonfire smoke" smell/taste.. this went on for a week when I went to the Dr`s she guessed at sinusitus.. and gave me a weeks worth of antibiotics which didnt touch it. I have also a burning sensation in my throat and tongue also sometimes my eyes sting. I phoned Dr back and she said leave it a week without antibiotics to see if it goes !!!!!!!!!! after the week I went back, she has now given me a nasal douche which I started using yesterday... yesterday I smelt fried onions all day ( we dont eat fried onions !!) today it has been easier all I have is a burning sensation on my tongue. I started to believe I was going mad until I found these postings.
My nose became is smelly when I used thera breath can anyone please help me about my problem
did you find a cured
Dear All,
whenever I smell food, my hands, perfume, soap, any smoke coming out of some running engine or any type of odor, I feel some specific unpleasant smell of single type instead of remembered odor of each thing. In odorless environment, I feel myself normal. Intensity of unpleasant smell is directly proportional to the intensity of odor present in the environment. I am in this situation for about 5 weeks.Is it Parosmia or what? Please share your relevant experience helping me coming out of this worst situation.
Stay blessed! Bye
Anyone consider environmental; allergies I have had  smoke smell last few weeks I get other symptoms like itchy eyes dry cough sinus problems in the morning only . Check out the aerial spraying they are doing .read up "What on earth are they spraying' its on utube also a member has it up on her journal ginger899 ..
I have chronic sinus infections, allergy and seasonal asthma (mostly in March). For two-three months I keep smelling fumes/gas or something close to exhaust smoke. It makes me sick to my stomach. At first I thought I was going crazy and L.A. traffic had finally broke me down! I live in the city so I tried to keep my windows closed, I freaked out that my portable ac unit was going to kill me with exhaust in my sleep. Then I started to notice it more often than not. I would ask others around if they noticed a smell and every time I was the only one. I started to notice that it happens more when I'm stressed out or tired, my immune system has always been weak and I tend to get sick often. I am actually relieved to read that others are having the same experience, I was too embarrassed to tell my doctor because I had no idea where to even start with this particular complaint. I'm calling first thing tomorrow to set an appointment. thanks everyone.
I attempted to wait out a "cold" for about the last month...Sinus pressure/pain and ear pain...nasal discharge tastes llike something crawled up my nose and died....husband finally forced me to go into Urgent Care last night. First thing the doc did was push on my face and smell my breath. He told me he was almost positive it was bacterial due to the smell, as viral sinus infections do not put off a horrible smell. He sent me to x-ray and when he got the results, he asked me how I was still standing. He went on to let me know that every space in my sinuses was completed blocked with infection and asked why I let this go so long. I told him I was a little leery of antibiotics, I don't like to take them unless I really need them. He said that was to be respected, but, any infection in the face/head can definitely cause issues with infection in the brain and a good doctor will know the difference, or take the time to find out...Gave me a shot of steroids and a shot of strong antibiotic and sent me home on oral antibiotics. So thats my story... My QUESTION is: How the HELL do I get rid of this smell, as one of the above posters mentioned, it seems to be getting more concentrated and I am beginning to gag from the intense smell/taste. That was the ONE thing I forgot to ask last night, and I'm really kicking myself now. Thanks for any help.
What did you treat yourself with? I think this is my problem
Please check out The Sinus Flush Friggy's Journal (search on Google).  He gives a unique was to clean out the sinuses.  Also see my comment on June 13,2012 (in his comments thread) for other ideas.
I noticed a nasal smell about a week after taking a vitamin product called Sea Vegg as part of my daily supplement.  I didn't know it at the time but soon put it together. The smell was similar to kelp.  I am familiar with that odor having worked on Kelco ships in San Diego, CA several years ago.  Kelco harvests Kelp from seas throughout the West coast.  Kelp is used in a number of consumer products such as tooth paste. The odor reminded me a little of iodine, or even rotten fruit and I thought I had contracted sinusitis. I discussed this with my doctor and started an antibiotic course of treatment for 10 days. Also started a nasal saline irrigation twice a day. After the antibiotic was completed the odor was still present. I looked at my usual intake and realized the change when I added Sea Vegg to my routine.So I decided to stop taking Sea Vegg to see if that was the problem. After a few days the odor diminished. Then I started Sea Vegg again (2 caps - 1 am and 1 pm) and after a few days the odor reappeared.  No one else smells it. So a possibility that sinus or nasal odor may be caused by some vitamin supplement may be the reason you may detect odd odors at times and can not exactly pin it down. In my case it appears to be Sea Vegg.

I have a similar issue, I can use a saline rinse and it will go away for a while but always comes back. it affects my breath, I have smelled the same smell occasionally when I'm out and about so I know I'm not the only one.

Are there any ENT or maybe Dentists out there?
hi Cassianna
my name is bub i smell a sorta sweet yeasty smell in my nose
i have been to an ENT she said i had a little swelling on my left side nothing bad, told me to use a nasal spray which i tried and it made me too nervous also to use a netti pot ok which i have used many times.
They did a CT scan to check for a tumor that shook me up, no tumor was found.They said there is some minimal ( 2 to 3 mm ) mucoperiosteal thickening involving the floor of some of the frontal sinues, particulary the left side, other wise the paranasal sinuses are clear.
Now they are saying they dont know what is causing the smell, all she ( the ENT) said was the lose of smell ( are you ready for this) the very early signs of Parkinsons. i have told her that i have not lost any smell and i can taste everything great, just that i have an extra smell in my nose as explained above
Any comments would be appreciated
Thank heavens I am not alone.  I keep smelling a type of "perfume" smell and thought that it was my diabetes.   But my blood sugars are within normal.  The smell will get so strong that it wakes me up at night.   Now I will try some of the suggestions that are posted here.   Thanks all.
This is interesting! In my post in another part of this forum I wrote that I was away for a week in Edinburgh and it cleared up - at this time, I may have been using a roll-on deodorant instead of a spray! Might have to try this theory. Quite tricky not to wear deodorant though so I may try a roll-on again!
Glad to know I'm not alone in this matter. Anyway, the smell is hard to describe. It's a mixture of melting plastic (eg. a pen lid melting), burnt rubber, petrol, new laptop/PC, old toothpaste, my toothbrush, perfume, deodorant, seawater, leaking gas, smoke -- all combined into one weird, revolting smell. I had this the first time last week and I thought it was just a one-off thing since it only lasted for about half a day. Exactly a week later, and this phantom smell has come back. And it's lasted for over 30 hours now and it's still present even as we speak. It sort of resembles a real, tangible smell because it smells like some of the things I've mentioned above, but I know that it's a phantom smell because there's no way this smell can follow me around wherever I turn - whether it'd be at home, outside or at the computer lab in Uni. The phantom smell is not particularly obvious when you try and focus what the smell could be. But once you stop focusing on it and you breathe normally and go about your usual business, the smell is present. When it is present, my nose sort of has a burning sensation and my throat gets slightly tingly and it gives me a slight headache. Initially I thought it was from my breath, so I tried to cup my hands around my mouth and breathed -- but it didn't smell like it at all. Although not particularly obvious, it is quite powerful in some circumstances. For example, I ate sushi for dinner last night and as soon as I took a few bites, the phantom smell instantly came back to me - and I guess that happened because the smell of sushi is quite similar to the phantom smell. The more I ate, the more the obvious and powerful the smell. But something like that doesn't make me sick though... at least not yet anyway. Right now, it's just frustrating because it distracts me and spoils me from focusing on what I do on a day-to-day basis. Otherwise, I don't feel any other symptoms. I don't feel dizzy or disorientated, sick or nauseous. It doesn't affect my thinking or concentration, except for the fact that the smell is a distraction and it does give me a slight headache at times. So yeah... from all that, can any of you tell what I could be having? (and no trolling please such as tumours or death threats). And what could be the best cause of action right now? I guess see a local doctor, but anything else? What else can I do about it - ie. is there an avenue for self-treatment? Thanks.
Wow......now I'm not alone!  I have used menthol ointment in my nose and on my lips for years to help with dryness.....I also like the smell of menthol.  For the past couple months now, whenever I use the ointment all I smell is onion.  I have tinnitus and vertigo as well.  Anyone smell onions?  Not sure what to do......
Hi Guys,  I'm from South Africa, western cape.  I had a terrible smell in my nose for more than 5 years. Last month I went to my ENT, got a CT scan again.  Finally they picked up that my septum was not straight and it was causing my left nostril to be constantly blocked.  ENT then suggested for the smell to open my sinus and nasal walls larger.  I went for the 2 hour operation on 6 June 2013, after a month now.  The smell is gone, because no mucus is building up to cause horrible smell.  My life is finally starting to come back to normal again.  Bad breath is gone, all was caused by sinus infection.  Now I just use the neti pot to clear my sinusses daily and a spray to lessen any swollen passages, but the spray I don't even need.  The key is to make the nasal passages drain freely, mine was stuck and swollen for many years.  I also prayed alot and God finally made a way for me.  Amen!
Does anyone expierence blurred vision with the smell
hello, all. im happy to  be alive today. i have lived with sinus problems my whole life now being 33 yrs of age. i had my 5 and hopefully final surgery in 07 and i have had virtually every symptom described here. i say if you have sinus problems you should get a ct done every year. i say this because i am a survivor of a very serious fungal infection that ate clear through my skull, pushed my brain as it went and even made me blind. after a little brain surgery and sinus rinses im fine. im learning to live with not being able to smell anything with any certainty and the lack of appetite that comes with having to remember what foods taste like(yeah it ***** i sympathize). everyone who has a head ache and it may bve liked to sinuses should get a ct scan so that they know whats going on inside thier head. don't be like me and don't see a doctor for how ever long it takes fungus to eat through bone and cuase a rather large bump in the middle of your eyes and forhead and let some quacks send you away without one. then wait another year or so that the thing in your head makes you start to go blind before you go get a ct scan. it should take that much before you know its serious. they start small and can kill you just like any cancer. make sure you know what you are allergic too. small reactions can cuase major problems in the right place. don't you all think we should be able to use the wheel chair sign, damn it im disabled too.
b.t.w
the rinses are a good start. stay away from chemicals.brush your teeth and gargle to help with the smells also.
Sometimes this horrible smells makes me feel like I am rotting from the inside out. I think this is a modern disease that is increasing in its frequency and intensity. Because it is new and because we are embarrassed to discuss it, doctors tend to be unaware of how serious it is.

I am 59 years old and I started to notice it about 27 years ago. Sometimes it would go away with antibiotics and then return with a vengeance. My doctors don't seem to have a clue and my wife thinks I am crazy.

Maybe I would just form a company and find a permanent cure to this epidemic.

Evidently, the smell is the result of accumulated mucus that has dried up and gotten putrefied by bacteria in the nasal passages, the turbinates. These putrefied and dry mucus that congeals into tonsilloliths as your tonsils fight to get rid of the bacteria. When I cough, clear my throat or aspirate the back of my nose to get rid of phlegm, the smelly clumps of tonsilloliths are released slightly eliminating the odor.

Trouble is the most doctors, even ENTs don't have a clue. Thanks for your remarks.
Hi! I've been experiencing some of the same things as you have described. I had new furniture delivered about a month ago and thought it was a smell coming from  my new recliner. I actually had the furniture store pick it up because I thought it was making me sick...horrible smell, watery eyes and headache. Now its been gone for almost two weeks and guess what??? I've still got the awful smell! I sometimes think its body odor, but my coworkers tell me that they smell nothing. Did you find a relief? I'm just desperate to get rid of this annoyance! Thanks for any info!
Im 16 and i have had a smell disorder for a few days now its putrid it doesnt go away and i can smell other things but this "odor" masks it. This is really annoying and i want to just plug my nose up because when i dont breath threw it i cant smell the odor. I havnt found anyone with the same symptoms it wasnt caused by an injury of any sort. I just woke up one day and couldnt not stop trying to find out if i smelled or it was the house so i took a shower put cologne on, but i could still smell it. so i thought it was my house and i walked outside and some fresh air helped alot but did not make it g away i find that when im in a room with someone who is smoking a cigarette the smell gets stronger and i cant bare to even breath threw my nose anymore. But it came along with a weird taste that is identical to the smell. I could not describe the smell kind of like what you smell when your hungover and you can still taste the liquor. But i dont know that isnt exactly what it smells like just similar to it. I havnt found anyone who had the same problem i thought i was sick but im perfectly healthy i weigh 140 and brush my teeth daily i dont really get sick much. One thing i noticed that the night before it started i had a dream of pulling a spider out of my throat it wasnt the dream that i think might have caused it i think i slept on my neck wrong  because in the dream i could feel a pain when i swallowed. Could this cause nerve damage? Because i know nerve damage can affect your senses and i want to know what to do if it should be taken seriously.
I have this as well, my smell is a metallic car fume smell. It started during my sinusitis and has yet to sub side. Anytime I smell it I get post nasal drip and acid reflux. The best way I found to overcome it is to not wear deodorant and to just ignore it. It is caused by the proteins in our mucus which the bacteria feasts on.

If it is really bothering you get your sinuses cleared out (professionally) by an ENT.
sounds like an underlying problem. I have another issue but still, my doctors have not been able to help me. I've given up on them & now I'm planning on going to a Functional M.D. They get to the underlying causes.
I had this smell issue for almost a year when I was in middle school. I have gone years without having this problem and then out of nowhere I have it again. It has been a week. The only thing I can think of that I have changed is trying to add more protein to my morning routine.  I feel I will have some control on how my body heals because the one thing that is majorly different this time is I have more knowledge. I have been using essential oils as my natural form of my health care. There is no doubt in my mind that they will work for this. For now I am going to assume it is fungal/candida or possible digestion issue. I will let you know in a few weeks what I have found!
I just started getting this too! It smells like old oil or maybe overheating electronics. I believe it may be a side effect of the sulfur based antibiotic I just began taking for cellulitis in my knee.

I guess we'll see if it passes when the meds are done...

I think I'm having the same problem as others have stated here I've been smelling this weird stuff which only I can smell it has been almost 2 weeks now, it smells like garbage and when I clean my nose using a soft tissue paper I see yellow stuffs but it is dry not the regular color like the grey ones.  And whenever I am lying on my bed the weird smell is strong unlike when I'm just sitting and this cause me to stay up late because I am irritated with the smell. I try to blow my nose but nothing comes out and I can still smell it. Will it also affect my breath? Please help I'm a graduating student and I can't afford to skip classes and activities because of surgery solutions.
The internet is an amazing tool if you just ask the right question.
On finding this post, I was amazed at how many other people have this indescribable smell in the sinus.  
I have recently had nasal surgery for polyps and a large mass that actually broke apart much of the interior nasal cavity.  On reflection I was slowly loosing my sense of smell for over 2 decades.
After reading these posts I am drawn to the connection between out of control yeast infection (Candida) and this odour.
I am a 54 year old male and yes men do get Candida and let me tell you this is one of the most horrific things I have had to deal with.
I will try to do a yeast busting process and see if this relieves the odor.

On a similar issue since my surgery I also have a constant ringing in my ears combined with headaches that although not immobilizing are draining.  Has anyone been experiencing this and how did you deal with it.
Thank you all for sharing.

Sevans
Excellent, excellent advice. I woke up with this horrendous, mothbally slash something else smell that I can't quite describe and immediately panicked. It was absolutely horrendous. The smell would waft in and out and over-powered every single smell in the house, including perfume . I decided to check the net and stumbled on this thread, and was relieved I was not the only one (I have never had anything like  this in all  of my thirty two years.) I was also completely deflated when I read that the majority of these posters had been experiencing this smell for months, sometimes even years. I had only had it for an hour or so and was going crazy. Thankfully I came across your post. I didn't have ACV or a nose inhaler thing, but decided to go for the next best thing. I put Cider Vinegar in a bowl and combined it with boiling water. I put my head in this concoction and covered it with a towel, and let the fumes penetrate my nose and sinuses. Worked like a charm. It's not a hundred percent gone but I believe that's due to infection and will take some time to heal, but this advice about vinegar was a God-send. The smell almost completely went away. Highly recommend trying these methods and thank you again, so much, for sharing.
Were you able to find  cure for your son? I have been dealing with the exact same problem for about 10 years now. My allergist was not much of help. However, I found a supplement called 'quercetin with bromelain' that helps me get rid of this foul smell. I take two early in the AM 20 minutes before breakfast and two around noon before lunch, two days in a row and the smell is gone. However, this supplement acts as diuretic and it give me cramps. I prefer the cramps over this awful smell any day. But the problem is I cannot tell that I smell until someone points it out. This is a major issue.
for temporary relief try 'quercetin with bromelain' a supplement available for allergies. I suffer from the very same problem periodically. Unfortunately I can't tell when I smell unless someone points it out to me. Its so embarrassing. When I produce this foul smell, I take two caps 20 minutes before the meal, twice or  three times a day and couple of days later the smell is gone. Beware, this supplement acts as diuretic, I do get cramps the second day for sure. Eventually it goes away.

Disclaimer: I am not part of any organization or company. The only reason it mentioned this supplement is because it works for me.
I am having this "Sambar" smell (a type of indian dish made of lentils) which I would have smelt when I was 16 (I am now 36). then sometimes the smell changes to "Vibhoodi" (sacred ash which hindu monks smear on thier body to signify lord siva) which I would have not smelled for a long time (maybe 15 years ago)

This has been going on for 1.5 years, my wife dont know, like she does not understand.

BUt today, I used the Indian sandalwood bar soap, it has a very strong TFM and smell. Now the sambar smell has come back but now ugly.

I stopped eating dinner halfway because I could not bear.

I think it is something to do with the nervous system.
I will check with the doctor and update

Please tell me what is Netti pots...