Allergy Community
Why does my throat constrict if I eat poultry sometimes?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

I don't usually have any trouble eating either chicken or turkey BUT, sometimes
probably if I'm eating it too quickly, MY THROAT WILL CONSTRICT AND I CAN'T SWALLOW
I have to breath through my mouth. In a few minutes I will start to vomit but even after an hour, when there is nothing left in my system, my throat is still very tight and I still can't swallow normally.
THis is not a simple matter of choking, because I don't get food stuck in my throat, it goes down, but something causes my throat to swell and stay swollen (tonight for over an hour now). THis rarely happens, but when it does, it scares the hell out me. Is there a chemical in chicken or turkey that i"m reacting to?
And if so, then why don't I have this reaction all the time? Yes, I'm a little stressed, but nothing out of the ordinary.
All I was doing tonight was nibbling on some turkey as I was bagging it up to put in the freezer.
Now I have the hiccups and I still can't swallow!! Does anyone know why this happens?
Clearly, being more mindful when I'm eating chicken will help prevent this, but why does it happen in the first place?
The absolutely same thing happens to me!!!  There are actually a couple of other things that can trigger this but chicken/turkey seem to be consistent (especially cold.)  I get real phlegmy and retch and have to yack most of it up before it settles down.  Sometimes I get a real sharp pain in my esophagus too - like a heart attack but not really... I am so relieved to hear that I am not alone!
This just happened to me.  I was eating chicken.  It does not happen all of the time.  Just sometimes.  I find that phlegm or congestion in the back of my throat causes me to have to cough and attempt to throw up which gets rid of the crowding substance.  If I take cold medicine and also gargle cough syrup, that seems to help immensely.  I have not found out why.  It would appear to me to be some sort of allergy perhaps to the chemicals added to chicken?
I'm glad I wasn't home alone yesterday.  My daughter actually did Heimlich on me yesterday.  I might have gotten it out of my throat, but felt like my throat was just clamping down on the small bite of turkey I had taken.  This is like the 4th time that turkey has done this to me.  Am I alergic (allergic)??
I have has episodes like this on random foods. All of a sudden my esophagus clamps down hard and it won't release the food. I can't swallow the bite of food - it hurts 10x more when I try and doesn't go anywhere, I can't even swallow water to loosen it. My throat starts to make this phlegm which I have to spit out and eventually I have to regurgitate the food back up because I can't get it down, all the while it is very painful.  Does this sound familiar? I am waiting to have a gastrocopy to see what's going on in there....
Why does nobody ever actually ANSWER the questions on these things? I understand the urge to write, "this happens to me, too!" but I always feel like saying, "let's assume we all got to this page because it happens to us." Now, does ANYONE have the answer?