Allergy Community
Why does my throat constrict if I eat poultry sometimes?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Why does my throat constrict if I eat poultry sometimes?

I don't usually have any trouble eating either chicken or turkey BUT, sometimes
probably if I'm eating it too quickly, MY THROAT WILL CONSTRICT AND I CAN'T SWALLOW
I have to breath through my mouth. In a few minutes I will start to vomit but even after an hour, when there is nothing left in my system, my throat is still very tight and I still can't swallow normally.
THis is not a simple matter of choking, because I don't get food stuck in my throat, it goes down, but something causes my throat to swell and stay swollen (tonight for over an hour now). THis rarely happens, but when it does, it scares the hell out me. Is there a chemical in chicken or turkey that i"m reacting to?
And if so, then why don't I have this reaction all the time? Yes, I'm a little stressed, but nothing out of the ordinary.
All I was doing tonight was nibbling on some turkey as I was bagging it up to put in the freezer.
Now I have the hiccups and I still can't swallow!! Does anyone know why this happens?
Clearly, being more mindful when I'm eating chicken will help prevent this, but why does it happen in the first place?