Why does my throat constrict if I eat poultry sometimes?
I don't usually have any trouble eating either chicken or turkey BUT, sometimes
probably if I'm eating it too quickly, MY THROAT WILL CONSTRICT AND I CAN'T SWALLOW
I have to breath through my mouth. In a few minutes I will start to vomit but even after an hour, when there is nothing left in my system, my throat is still very tight and I still can't swallow normally.
THis is not a simple matter of choking, because I don't get food stuck in my throat, it goes down, but something causes my throat to swell and stay swollen (tonight for over an hour now). THis rarely happens, but when it does, it scares the hell out me. Is there a chemical in chicken or turkey that i"m reacting to?
And if so, then why don't I have this reaction all the time? Yes, I'm a little stressed, but nothing out of the ordinary.
All I was doing tonight was nibbling on some turkey as I was bagging it up to put in the freezer.
Now I have the hiccups and I still can't swallow!! Does anyone know why this happens?
Clearly, being more mindful when I'm eating chicken will help prevent this, but why does it happen in the first place?
The absolutely same thing happens to me!!!  There are actually a couple of other things that can trigger this but chicken/turkey seem to be consistent (especially cold.)  I get real phlegmy and retch and have to yack most of it up before it settles down.  Sometimes I get a real sharp pain in my esophagus too - like a heart attack but not really... I am so relieved to hear that I am not alone!
This just happened to me.  I was eating chicken.  It does not happen all of the time.  Just sometimes.  I find that phlegm or congestion in the back of my throat causes me to have to cough and attempt to throw up which gets rid of the crowding substance.  If I take cold medicine and also gargle cough syrup, that seems to help immensely.  I have not found out why.  It would appear to me to be some sort of allergy perhaps to the chemicals added to chicken?
I'm glad I wasn't home alone yesterday.  My daughter actually did Heimlich on me yesterday.  I might have gotten it out of my throat, but felt like my throat was just clamping down on the small bite of turkey I had taken.  This is like the 4th time that turkey has done this to me.  Am I alergic??
I have has episodes like this on random foods. All of a sudden my esophagus clamps down hard and it won't release the food. I can't swallow the bite of food - it hurts 10x more when I try and doesn't go anywhere, I can't even swallow water to loosen it. My throat starts to make this phlegm which I have to spit out and eventually I have to regurgitate the food back up because I can't get it down, all the while it is very painful.  Does this sound familiar? I am waiting to have a gastrocopy to see what's going on in there....
Why does nobody ever actually ANSWER the questions on these things? I understand the urge to write, "this happens to me, too!" but I always feel like saying, "let's assume we all got to this page because it happens to us." Now, does ANYONE have the answer?
This has been happening to me for 5 years now and it is depressing.  I do not see any answers or solutions to this problem.  Would love a solution.....
Hey- it looks like you guys haven't had this answered yet- I've had it for a while and every time I eat chicken or even drink orange juice with pulp it gets stuck and it feels like my throat is trying to force it down or something, and usually I burp, too- air gets stuck under it. Yes I end up vomiting.my mom has always called it Acid Reflux Disease- it seems pretty close to the symptoms I have. What I've found works is sitting straight- if you bend over it won't help to food at all. It can be extremely painful at first but drinking (a little) water can help.
I have the same thing happen to me and I was told it could be due to the low level amounts of arsenic in chicken.
What other foods do you notice it happening with?
It happens on occasion when I eat rice and a few other foods that I can't think of right now.
If you look up arsenic in food you will see that it is in both chicken, turkey and rice you will also find that small amounts of arsenic will cause throat constriction and feeling like you have a lump in your throat that won't go down.
Here's a really good description of this problem.  As the author admits, it's not a diagnosis or medical advice but it does contain helpful information.  From the author's personal experience this happens with heavier guys in their 30s or 40s but I'm pretty lean in my 50s and this has only been occurring in the last couple of years.  My last incident resulted in my throat shutting down completely for almost 24 hours until a trip to the Emergency Department cleared it up. I'm going to avoid meat for the next month and hopefully this problem won't re-occur. Here's the link:

http://justaskchip.com/throat-constriction-spasm-condition.htm
Happens to me to I did an analysis, it usually happens in some restaurants. It definitely happens when I eat grocery store Perdue or brand name grocery store chicken. It doesn't really happen when I eat chicken from a butcher or Bell Evans which says no bacteria. I started eating 1 chicken wing and my throat closed so hard not letting anything else go down. It probably has something to do with the chemicals or antibiotics in the chicken. All doctors would say you have something wrong with your throat, if I had somuething wrong with my throat it would happen with everything I eat. When I see this happen to many other people a study should be done. The study won't be done unless the person who does studies or their children have this happen to them. That's when it becomes a really serious issue to address.
Hey guys, as it was mentioned before, it could very well be a symptom of Acid Reflux Disease or heartburn. The reason why it might happen is often a low level of stomach acid. Do a Google search for this thing: Hypochlorhydria. Also check out the common symptoms and natural remedies for this. What can help is to regain the balance for your stomach acid. There are many natural methods for doing so (betain HCL, cabbage juice, vitamine U supplements, etc.).
Low level of stomach acid and reflux / heartburn is usually a sign of a much more serious gut problem and in that case the main goal should be to repair the gut flora (and with that the immune system). The SCD diet and the GAPS diet can help you with that, but you might need to make some tweaks and research your own conditions even further.
I hope this info will help some people.