Allergy Community
allergies dangerous?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

allergies dangerous?

I just got a Siamese cat and ever since i've gotten her i've had headaches. sometimes i forget about them then they come back every so often, no other symptoms. I would like to know if keeping her around getting these random headaches every so often is dangerous for me in the long run.. or if I can stand the symptoms then I can keep her around... is this a problem that will become serious or can I just keep her around? Please reply.

Please do not get worried. If you are able to tolerate the symptoms and if they stop at headaches only, you need not get worried. You can continue keeping the cat.

Regards,

Cat allergen, the allergy causing material from cats, is not cat hair, but rather a protein present in the dander and saliva of cats. These allergens become airborne as microscopic particles, which when inhaled into the nose or lungs can produce allergic symptoms.

You can confirm whether you are allergic to cats by getting allergy testing done.Skin tests and blood tests like RAST are done for this purpose.Pls consult an allergist and get them done.If it comes out positive,then prevention of allergens is the best treatment.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing.

There is a solution called allerpet-c that pet stores should carry, if not it is available over the internet.  It is a liquid solution you rub on the cat and it helps to denature some of the cat dander.  

Works wonders for me, defintely have more symptoms when the cats are due to be washed.  Vaccuum a lot and groom the cat regularly outside to help keep the hair down in the house.

I would double check first that there is a true allergy involved, no use going through everything if you aren't allergic and it's from something else.  Also look at the cat litter you are using, some have strong perfume or a lot of silica dust which is known to affect some people.