cold induced rash
My daughter who is now 2 gets a rash whenever her skin is exposed to cold.I started noticing it last winter, when the air indoors or outdoors is 65 degrees or cooler she gets bumps that are slightly raised and they do not seem to itch. They kind of look like welts and she doesn't seem to even know they are there. I asked her peditrician about it and she doesn't think that it is a problem but she couldn't tell me what the cause was, she just said that babies skin is sensitive and she would most likely grow out of it. It is very annoying to me because other mom's are afraid and tend to pull their children away from mine because they think she has an illness of some sort. I searched this website and found a condition called cold urticaria but I don't know if this is right because it doesn't seem to itch or bother her. She also eats ice and cold drinks and she doesn't complain of anything.(she speaks very well for her age and tells me when she is uncomfortable ex.cold,hot,hurt,itchy,tired.). Any suggestions on what this might be? Thank you.
I have colduticaria and Im 16 years old, I dont think Im gonna grow out of it. I got the ice cube test and turned out positive. :) When I was little I would develop a bad rash and get itchy all over along with red blotchiness during winter or occaisionally snowy weather. Now its not as bad as it used to be, but if I hold a cold can of drink, my fingers swell up and go red. Normal English weather (wind especially) is annoying as my ears, legs, neck and face get extremely itchy in low temperatures.
Oh and it took a while for people to believe me. Teachers wouldnt believe me especially, so I had to endure it during winter PE lessons :/ best to take a medical letter from your GP or parents during difficult situations such as those.
My 15 yr old daughter has had cold uticaria since she was 9. We had tried lots of allergy meds and nothing worked. We changed doctors for other reasons and she noticed that my daughter was taking meds that were not working and she did some research on cold uticaria and came up with a combo of 2 allergy meds, over the counter Zyrtec 10mg and prerscription of singulair 10mg and they actually worked!! She now lives a normal life of a 15 yr old as long as she takes her meds.
I am a 29 year old female. And my problem started when I was around 13yrs old. This for me is hereditary, my father has suffered all his life from it. It starts on my thighs, back of knees (the worst), and my lower back. I too have just started doing my own research. This fall I'm going to start benedryl to see if it works. So far even the Dr.s do not know the answer. This is crippling and when it starts I go into a violent mood swing, because I am so damn uncomfortable. I don't want to be touched and when this starts the sight of ants grouped together or wet tissue on the ground grosses me out to the point of hysteria. And it all goes away once I'm warm. My father too would go into unpredictable violent mood swings. (don't know if it's connected but it all starts with the COLD!!!)
I am so grateful to have stumbled onto this site. My own mother didn't believe me until i one day said something about how the cold affected me and she said "you sound like your father". And that is how I found out that I inherited this. I just wanted to add that Dr.s say this is common in fair skinned people, well i am not that. I am neither "fair" or "dark" I am African American, my complexion is brown. My dad on the other hand is very fair (half French, half African). I don't get skin blotched and if i do I can't tell, I get bumps as small as the tip of a sewing needle, and if i quickly bend down i get a shooting pain and it feel like needles going through my legs. (how can you avoid the cold?!!) there has got to be a better answer.
I had mono when i was a junior in high school and the way i found out about it was i was in the shower with very hot water my feet and entire body started to break out in rashes bigger than the size of a quarter. Needless to say i was freaking out so i went to the emergency room where they diagnosed me with mono. (in which i soon afterwards starting to have all the other symptoms of mono)

In the beginning, if i was pissed, stressed, hot, or cold i would break out in rashes all over my body or in the places that were affected by the heat or coldness.

Now, i only break out whenever i get cold. Sometimes all it takes is walking outside for 5 minutes and my legs are super itchy with whelping rashes. Whoever said that Texas doesn't have winters and doesn't get cold is a damn liar! Also, if i sit on a cold floor or a cold chair, the back of my thighs will break out, even if i'm wearing jeans.

Usually if i take zyrtec before i go to bed, I am good for the next day as far as breaking out goes.

I've pretty much been told that i am going to have to deal with this rash for the rest of my life because mono stays in the body forever.
I am 45 with low blood pressure and heart palpitations,  but otherwise healthy. I get the same hives as you guys from the cold. Is there anything that anyone knows of that actually helps without causing side effects?
I have what your child has. I am 29 years old and I have had it as long as I can remember. I grew up in sunny Los Angeles and I would get it. It seems that as long as my core temp is warm, I don't get the non-itchy bumps. I get made fun of all the time. I get the bumps on my face, hands, legs and feet. My hands swell to the point where it's painful to make a fist. Sometimes I can't walk.

It doesn't necessarily need to be cold out for this to happen (as I deduced from living in L.A.), it has to do with my body temperature. The symptoms take about 24 hours to fully go away for me.

The only advice I have found I believe I read above. Keep warm! That's it. No drugs, nothing special. As soon as the core temp starts to dip, it's time to take a warm bath.

Also something that I didn't read was when I was my affected hands in warm water (not hot) it feels as if the water is about 1,000 degrees and i have to wash them in cold water instead. Sorry for the not so useful advice. Other than this "condition" as I've called it all my life, I am perfectly healthy. I wouldn't let this hinder your child from doing anything.
I'm 33. I have the same problem..rash with dry air cold, after shower I put lotion or sometime I use baby power at least I smell fresh like a baby.lol. It help sooth the rash.  I went to the Dr. He prescribe me some medication i think you could also get them off the counter. It's call Certrizine Hcl 10mg or ask your Pharmacy about it. You only take it when you have the rash. I can't wait until summer time. I just love Minnesota weather..=0)
I know this may be Out dated and dead. But I have become so sick of this condition I want to know people who have it the same as me,

My name is Matthew, I live in Ireland and ever since 2006 I have when ever its cold. OR too hot, or its wet, I break out in a rash first my scalp gets teribly itchy, And the worst part of it is I get puffy skin, Like anaphilaxis, I have went into Anaphylactic shock three times, Each time I nearly died. my doctors dont know anything and I am on telfest everyday. This is ruining my life! I need someone who has the same condition! I cant swim go outside for fear of this.

My Email is

***@****
I used to be fine swimming in cold weather, and going out in the cold until about a year ago. Now anytime I have the goose bumps, i start to get the hives. I havn't seen a doctor, because by the time i get an appointment, their gone. I've read up on cold urticaria and the hives usually appear on the face, hands, and neck. However, mine only appear on my upper legs, spread to my lower legs, and my hips. Anyone have any ideas on the best way to calm the itching fast? or to prevent them before they appear?
I have had this same thing for years and believe it or not when I use hand sanitizer they go away. Try that and see if it works for you too..
i also have this kind of allergy.. I'm 18 yrs old..because the temperature here in the Philippines is warm so i don't have any problem in going out.. but when I'm in the classroom and it is air-conditioned.. it will begin to appear in my face and neck.. when I'm expose to warm it will slowly disappear.
Hi everyone,
I am with you all.  This condition is caused by a weak immune system, as all allergies are.  Study TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine), and you will see that if there are blockages of energy flow in the body, you will pay, one way or the other.  Western medicine and chemicals are just making everyone worse in the long run.  Symptoms are like beacons that lead to the actual imbalance.  All chemical, synthetic drugs to is suppress your immune system terriblly, confuse your body, and make the symptoms "go away", which just means that the real underlying problem is still there, and will manifest itself in some other way.  It's all so simple.  Traditional Chinese Medicine, Homeopathy, Nutrition....all of these things will make you better!!
Ok so I guess I'm not weird! I have the same thing it's been going on for 6 years and I'm 21 now. It can be 90 degrees outside and I will go swimming and if the water is not 75 degrees or hotter I will break out into these hives as well. I went to the doctors to see if they knew what it was and they told me they have No idea!?!
i hav my rash right now...jus got out of the shower =/....it was a hot shower to. when i had gone to needles for the weekend my family went to swim in the river, i had to stay on the sand beach with 110 degree weather shining down on me, n about an hour bein in the sun my rash broke out tremendously. i hate having it...pretty much ruins my life and makes me kinda depressed. i cant perform hard working physical activities without them being there... i find that cannibus surpreses the irritation
I have been dealing with this since I was 3 years old, I’m 32 now.  I am so happy to speak to others that have this too......even though my family tries to understand they can’t know what it feels like to be cold and in pain.  When they go outside they just feel the cold and can get on with it....other people with Cold Urticaria have to decide if we will even go out that day.  

My great-grandmother on my father’s side also suffered from this but that is all I know about.  It doesn’t matter if it’s cold weather, air-conditioning or cold sweat on my body. The worst is a cold wind though!  I break out on my hands, arms and legs first but if I am out for a while it can spread all over my body, including the soles of my feet!

The hives itch so much I cry and have made myself bleed from scratching so much but I have learned to deal with it over the years and can usually hide the hives pretty well.  Except for the face and hands.  I just know that I can’t go outside very much from Autumn through to Spring and if I do the people I am with have to accept it.

I have been to the doctor a couple time with this.  One said that it might be Reynaud’s disease but didn’t do anything else for me.  One gave me Zyrtec to take once a day...I did that for a year but it did not help.  I am now going to see a specialist in London and hopefully will get some answers...so I will be sure to post them.

As some of the others have said....I am relatively healthy too...but I do have problems with my veins and think that I am on my way to getting varicose veins...again from my lovely Father’s side of the family!   Maybe the hives and the circulation are all related?
WOW is all i can say. i thought i was crazy and this was only happining to me. i just dropped my wife off at work, it's 30 degrees out side my hands started itching big red hives were breaking out all over my legs, belly, knees real bad. it just started last year the docs told me i was crazy and this was unheard of. well i do live in a small town in arkansas so there not that great here anyway. i broke out really bad went to the docters i set in the waiting room for a hour waiting on the doc buy this time it went away i go out side and BAMM it comes back WHAT IS THIS CALLED WHAT CAN I TELL MY DOC I THINK I HAVE? from now on when i go to the docs im gonna wait out side and suffer myself just so he can see the hives and man this stuff itches so bad itches mostly on my knees and hands on me but breaks out everywere. im so glad i found this site
Hi, welcome to the forum, there are cases been reported in few posts regarding 'allergic to cold things. (http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Allergy/Allergic-to-water-Aquagenic-Pruritus/show/1292538). Very less has been known about water allergy. If you are allergic to cold things then following measures will help you-

- she should keep herself warm and avoid direct exposure to the cold wind
-also there may be some allergen like pollen, dust to which baby might be allergic
- She should Keep herself cool during summer as even sweating will cause reaction.
- Try boiling water before bath and as well can try hot water bath.

I suggest you to consult pediatrician for further evaluation and management.
I hope this will help you. Take care and regards.

I live in the North (Nunavut, Canada) to be exact, and in 2008 while I was into my 3rd month of pregnancy I started breaking out with hives, unbearable numbness in my fingers and felt like my fingertips were ready to explode, itchy/swollen lips, huge dumbo size ears every time I was exposed to cold.  I have come to realize that when I got pregnant my hormones went all wacky and got a new allergy.  Allergies I have never had before.  Living in the North where we have 8 months of winter with an average norm of -30C and in the summer where our summers never get any warmer then 20C life sure proved difficult.  

6 months later I had my baby and the hives and all symptoms went away.  Its been about 2 years now, and within the last 4 days, all symptoms have come back with a vengeance, twice as worst as two years ago.  I'm a 37 year old woman, and its making me wonder if a move to warmer climate may need to be addressed.  Has anyone ever died of over exposure to cold due to allergies?  Can I risk continuing to live in the North where my family and career is.   I dress as warm as possible and cover every part of my skin, now its making me wonder if the cold particles we breath in affects the triggers?  

If anyone can understand the pain the cold does to our bodies, I think it might be all of you who have posted in the past.  My fingers affect me the most, they swell up so much, the pain of feeling like they are ready to explode and turn reddish white is excruciating. The doctors have told me to just stay warm, any other suggestions like benedryl, or pills would definitely help.  
I too developed cold urticaria about 7 or 8 years ago and it's never gone away.  I don't know why it started, but I'd been doing more stuff outside like running and practical conservation work and initially I thought the company I worked for had fleas in the carpet as I started getting itchy lumps on my legs first whilst at work (there wasn't any fleas I might add).

I've had hayfever since I was at primary school and am allergic to penicillin. In my mid teenage years I developed asthma and my late teens I became allergic to Zinc Oxide (so no calamine lotion, beauty products or suntan lotions with that in for me).  I'm going to be 40 this year and I have to take anti-histamines every day now or else within a day of stopping I start itching on my hands like mad, then my head and legs start itching and then I come out in hives, mainly on my legs and bum and especially if it's even slightly cool.  

As I live in the UK the weather is never hot enough for me to go without the tablets.  I'd love to see whether things were different in a hot country with less airbourne pollen in the air, but I suspect that I'll still need antihistamines somehow. I think the reason I get hives mainly on my bottom half, is because that's the area that we don't tend to wear extra layers on in the cold weather (or I didn't use to anyway).

I recently read that allergies may be the result of improved living conditions ironically enough.  In countries that have less sanitary conditions and gut parasites such a helminths (worms), there seems to be less allergies occuring in people.  Research that has been undertaken has concluded that now our bodies do not have to defend against these invaiders, it seems kind of lost for what to defend against now, thus their attention has been drawn to other things that aren't really a threat, i.e. pollen, dust mites, mold spores, animal dander, air pollution, insect bites, foods and of course for us: temperature extremes.  So, unfortunately it looks like our stupid bodies can't evolutionarily keep up with modern developments and lifestyle advances.  

See this: http://www.themedguru.com/20101114/newsfeature/maggots-leeches-and-worms-may-cure-severe-allergies-researchers-86141842.html

and: http://www.technologyreview.com/biomedicine/25017/

Researchers are however looking at whether there is anything the worms excrete that we can safely take to keep our immune systems happily by tricking it into thinking it's doing a good job chasing worms away again.  So, other than taking antihistamines I think it's something we're just gonna have to live with as there is no cure just yet...apart from possbily getting infected with worms...eek!  Anyone fancy trying it?
I think the only way to cure this "allergic to cold" is to wear enough clothing and please do not expose your skin to cold weather as I experienced. If I bath early in the morning with not so worm water, then later I will get hives on my legs. It will off within 1 hour. Please do not scratch it. I will put some itch powder to relief the itchness. By the way, I am from Malaysia.
I think the only way to cure this "allergic to cold" is to wear enough clothing and please do not expose your skin to cold weather as I experienced. If I bath early in the morning with not so worm water, then later I will get hives on my legs. It will off within 1 hour. Please do not scratch it. I will put some itcy powder to relief the itcyness. By the way, I am from  Malaysia.
I have had this condition all of my life.  My Mother took me to the Doctor when I was young but the rash would disappear by the time I got to see the Dr. He prescribed barrier creams etc but nothing has ever worked. I can get this rash all over my body in long term cold but generally starts on hands, feet and face.  I am female and 48 years old and still get it but don't know of anyone else who has ever suffered with it. I have basically just learned to live with it having never had any explaination for it.  Suggestions have been nerve endings too close to surface of skin, allergic reaction, low immunity - who knows?  
My husband rides a Motorcycle He is 40
Twice This MONTH he has gone out when it was Warm on his Bike wearing a Tshirt but it got colder cause he rode till dark.

His Arms where they were bare were red , Itchy and Bumpy like Flea bites
In a Hour OR less the itch,red,and Bumps are Gone
this Did Not happen Last year

thanks
Cindy
my name is amanda,im 26 and in novenmber when it started to get cold out i broke out in hives never knew what it was, i made an appt with my doctor hoping to get answers on what is going on , they put me on benedryl, allegra, everything even creams needles to say it went away after winter but returned in june!! after i went swimming with my daughter , i was in the water for about 15 mins before i decided to get out the water was pretty cold but after a hott day i thought it was perfect for cooling off with in 2 mins of getting out of the water i hit the severe reaction ..... i got instant swelling on my legs n feet yelled for my mom to help me off the ladder n boom thought i could walk but couldnt my blood pressure dropped n my sight n hearing was fading i passed out n was rushed by ambulance!!!! i believe i had a anaphlyptic reaction n mind you im 14 weeks pregnant!!! baby is doing good but im not having much luck with getting a proper diagnosis, and thank god my mom was home n i didnt pass out in pool as i would have drowned!! i really feel like this is a very serious condition and no docor can give me answers!! But im postive this is cold urticaria bc i placed a ice pack on leg for 3 mins and it immediatley welted right up to the size of the ice pack!!!  
Same with me.  I break out in hives every time i am stressed, sometimes for no reason at all, and all the time when it is cold or windy.  They start on my arms and legs and go all over my body from my face and neck to buttocks.  It itches so bad it drives me crazy.  I can't stand to be in my own skin...  I scratch so severely that I am scabbed, scratched, and raw all over.  Wish I knew what to do.  Tried benadryl and that doesn't help.  Everyone thinks I am nuts or have some kind of contagious something.
omg. Finaly people that know how i feel.the first time i broke out into hives was around 4-6?? Years old. I would get them when i would lay on the cold grass. And bang my whole body would break out into a rash. My mom thought i was allergic to the grass.
Around that age i broke out more, then it stop. Till i was 18 i got it once more twortds the end of my day at the beach, i thought it must of been the sand, then it went away within an hour. Years went by then i got it again at the age of 23 it happend on a cold morning, then again while i was washing dishes with cold water. The. It stop and now I'm 28 and for the past week I've had them everyday. I was going crazy thinking i was being attack by fleas or mosquitos. And it finaly hit me its the cold/water. I'm a mom now nursing and i dnt want to tk any meds and money is tight. What works the best is just keeping warm and a shower. I hate the. Chilly goose bump feeling anxious of scraching.
I am 18 an i have the same problem, when ever i get cold or it dosnt even have to be cold really just enuff to bother me i brake out in red bumps all over i mean all over and they do hurt not so itch but when i get it in my hands witch is a daylie deal it feels like i have arthritice ( dont know how to spell it) and it hurts really bad i just got it last summer when i was at work. i take zurtec and it seems to work a little but im glad to hear that there is other people out there like it and i would do about any thing to get reed of it, i feel like its putting a big stop on to me life :( i cant do most of the things my friends do because i look like bubble rap in a couple mins if there is a med i would love o get ahold of it
Hey guys im 16 im pretty sure I have cold urticaria because everytime it gets cold inside or out I break out in hives somtimes they itch and sometimes they don't and they don't go away for at least 4 hours I've figured out that clergy mess seem to work but its getting worse and it's supposed to go away the older you get so maybe I don't have it any comments?
Yeah, I am 15 turning 16 (this month) and I have been struggling with allergic reactions ever since I was 5-ish. Not only till Grade 8, I was told I was allergic to the cold. In addition to this, I am occasionally allergic to fish, chicken, eggs, peanuts and nuts. I was made fun of my condition in Grade 7, which resulted into a depressing year. I covered up my body to conceal my rash and scaly skin, in fact I never wore a t-shirt in public since Grade 4.

Now back to my allergy to the cold. Yes, no one believed me I was allergic to the cold (not even myself.) When the cold season starts, my face would feel puffed up and itchy. It would be occasionally filled with hives or just scaly patches of redness. Grade 9 and 10 became even more horrible because I was starting High School.

Not only that, I became so depressed (no one knew though) because of my skin condition and felt sick everyday. I missed a majority of the school year which gave bad to average grades. So, with the stress of my grades going down plus the stress of my skin equals to EVEN MORE STRESS. Now during the summer, I went to the dermatologist and he told me my condition was genetic. I couldn't see how, since my parents and their relatives do not have skin conditions. I felt that because it is "genetic" I could never get rid of it. Upon hearing this, I just wanted to cry.

So he prescribed me with this skin oil and cream to put on top of it. He also gave me pills. He told me to take a bath/shower everyday and do not dry yourself with a towel. Once you come out of the shower put this oil and cream combo on your skin. I was quite skeptical.

It turns out, that it worked within the second week. My skin became smoother and less densed with eczema (especially my face and neck). The prescribed pills were a great addition to this too.

But now, it is the colder seasons and I ran out of my medication. Within two weeks off medication, it came back to haunt me. I realized then that I could never get rid of it, but atleast I can control it. I know it's bad to say that I have to rely on meds, but this summer and early fall using the meds helped take away my depression.

So, my mom tells when she gets the money, she'll purchase these and yeah.

I'll just list what works for me and/or what I used to control facial and body rashes:

1. Keep your skin hydrated. Every night (lol I also ran out of Aveeno) put Aveeno (regular) on your face and body and take Benadryl. In this way, you won't be up at night scratching miserably and uncontrollaby. Your skin would be hydrated for the whole night. And within a few days or weeks, your skin (especially on your face) will be noticably clearer. Also, change your bedsheets every now and then.

2. I felt that the combination of Aveeno+Curel worked for the first few months. Gave me some relief. I put Aveeno first then Curel.

3. The Skin Oil + Cream (cream was in a cylinder container and the cream was white, not transperent and creamy) after showers. Do not use scented body washes, but if it's all you have, make sure it is mild.

4. That big cylinder container of cream (this one was transperent cream and oily) worked for a bit. It is usually the cream that your doctor prescribes on your first visit. I used it for my face (I don't think you are supposed to lol) but I put a little bit before I sleep. Then I took Benadryl. It would be noticably clearer in the morning. The only downfall is that it will bleach your skin for a few weeks. XD I would suggest you use the tips from 1-3 rather than this one, even if it kinda works.

I know this has been a long comment, but I went through allergic reactions and symptoms for more than 10 years. And I am only 15 turning 16.

Hope it helps and this whole thing wasn't too confusing. :)

Good luck!
did you ever find out what it was? i have the same problem and dr's cant figure it out please e mail me ***@****
I don't know if my condition is quite the same as hives, as my reaction to cold was large lumps. Hatless in the cold, my forehead develops lumps (not rashes per se) and once watching sports in winter, my lips became swollen, so much so that a friend asked if someone had hit me in the mouth. Like other contributors, swimming was a no-no unless it was the Mediterranean in mid-summer. I once developed a load of lumps between my armpits and hips from swimming. The lumps usually took 12 hours to completely disappear. I have less of a problem now (though I never put it to the test these days). I am 69, so it is something that you have to cope with.
is it Urticaria?? two years back i was driving and the cold air of my car hitting me i started with itch and swelling rash on my hands I was thinking it was probably a lotio I had used, so I changed body lotion but still kept on coming, then after on my feet now my body. yesterday i was out in the cold and for the first time i felt this way now on all over my body,face and skull I started feeling dizzy and a flush of heat on my face turning red then I could not breath felt weekness and had fast heartbeats my husband and I were extremly afraid since this was the first time so I rushed to the hospital I was recommended to have Benadryl and a shot in my purse in case I had this severe reacion again due to hives. now I cover my self very well during winter or try to stay indooors as much as I can, I would know for how long I have to deal with this matter all I know that I have to take care of myself as much as I can.
Hi guys! I'm glad I'm not the only one facing this weird condition! I'm working in an airconditioned office, everyday if it's too cold, I will have these rashes/welts/hives (whatever you wanna call it) appearing on my hands, legs, thighs & sometimes on my face too! I seriously need to know what is this condition/allergy called so that I can be treated. Everytime, when I go to the doc, it will fade away so the doc can treat me.. it *****! pls do contact me & share your experiences! thanks.
NunavutMom - I moved from Toronto, Ontario to Virginia (south of DC) 10 years ago.

I started to break out about 12 years ago. Living near Toronto, my allergy would flare up within 5 minutes of being outside (in the winter).
Here, my allergy flares up within 5 minutes of being inside (in the summer).
I think my allergy is somewhat better because I can control the temperature better, but not always. Around here, we have humid summers and everywhere has their air pumped up really high from April to October. When I come inside from a hot day I break out quickly and I often have to change into wear winter clothes  because of this. So, whether you live north or south, the allergy won't be better or worse unless you can control the temperature.
Hi my 4 year old is having the same reaction outside and I am so scared wondering if you have any idea what this is?
I've had something like that happen to me earlier, when I let my Speedy Freeze lean against me too long. Small non-itchy bumps appeared on my mid-body section. That spot is kinda numb now >.<
We don't have to SUFFER like this (and have people not believe us or tell us we have various illnesses that our condition is *NOT*).  There are TWO things that will STOP the rash (not cure it, but hey!---you won't get it anymore, and that's GREAT!)  
An OLD antihistamine Cyproheptadine will take it AWAY for GOOD!!! (take a PICTURE of your rash if it's not active when you see your doctor,  thus he/she does NOT believe you DO suffer!!!)
Zyrtec (generic Cetirizine) will take it away; BUT you usually have to get it from a DOCTOR, *not* over-the-counter because you NEED a larger mg of the medicine.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL!!! And God bless you!  There ARE people who understand what you go through!!!

You are exactly correct!!!  We *are* just treating the symptoms and NOT finding a solution/end/cure...  BUT, that is because NO one in the medical community gives a d@mn about us/it.  Maybe it's too uncommon for them to PROFIT of it/us... Maybe a lot of things...  But unless one of us SUFFERERS gets a medical degree, , , I'm afraid the ONLY thing we can do is keep swapping stories of way that have LESSENED our hellish symptoms.  (people often think it's no big deal; but they're wrong. this hurts us, it wakes us up at night, it's very embarrassing and effects or quality of life)  
But, zenmasterb, I understand your point, and I WISH it were so...

Happy Holidays to you and your family zen...
a LOT of people say there is something that's helping them, so miskit, it IS worth a try in my opinion.  try 10mg of zyrtec and 10mg of singulair a day.  OR you can try a stronger does of JUST zyrtec (generic is cetirizine, and it is at walmart for .88 cents!)

also, there's an OLD antihistamine that RARELY gets prescribed anymore (because there are soooo many newer ones); but it HELPS a lot of us!!! it's called: Cyproheptadine   For this medicine, you WILL, unfortunately, have to see a doctor for. BUT since the doctors do not believe us, , , I would suggest taking a PICTURE of your live, ACTIVE rash at its WORST to bring with you as PROOF of your suffering.

So, good luck to you. I understand this, and I know it's HELL on earth!!! I wish you the VERY best, and I HOPE these things WILL work for you!!!

It KILLS me that the medical docs/hospitals/etc. NEVER EVER know what this is!!! WOW.  I'm sorry, but I HAVE to vent!  We can CLONE a human being; but the doctors cannot diagnose us! What the freak???  They NEVER know what this is, OR they tell us some bull crap like it's eczema or even, goodness forbid, herpes or some other FOOLISHNESS!!!  

Well, good thing there's informative people like you cranberrielove!  Because now we know the docotors/pharm companies will not profit enough to research this so the condition has a PROPER medical term.  SO THEN, the only thing left for us to do is treat our condition as best as we can.

The things that seem to work for a lot of us are:  Zyrtec (name-brand Cetirizine available WITHOUT a doctor at walmart for a dollar or two)  alone OR in combination with Singular.
Also the OLD antihistamine that the docs never think of anymore WORKS a lot: Cyproheptadine          But for this one unfortunately you need a doctor to write the script out for you. Therefore, I would suggest taking a picture of your hives at their WORST as proof of your suffering. And I would try using the over-the-counter remedies first (so you don't need to go through the dang stress of a doctor NOT knowing and believing you)

Good luck to you all, and I am SO sorry for your suffering. I understand, believe me. So BEST wishes to you all!!!
Hi, I just cam across your post this morning.  I was looking on behalf of my 35 yr. old daughter.  Like you, it came out of the blue so severe that it affected her breathing and she needed to go to ER.  Since the initial attack she is suffering daily as you said you were.  Did the drs. ever say why this happens?  My daughter will get an appt. hopefully today with a Dermatologist and mention the medication you spoke of, Cyproheptadine.  
She has two small children and cannot go outside with them at all for fear of break outs (which will happen).  Thanks for your post, hope you continue to be break out free.
Michele
Hello , I am 38 and have had skin reactions to extreme cold for most of my life . I get welt like bumps and skin redness usually around the wrist, elbow joints and abdomen  when exposed to cold water or very cold temps . It usually goes a way rather quickly when out of cold environments . I have no other allergies and am in good health .I think I am the only one in my family experiencing this . Funny thing is I have a very high heat tolerance
     How old was he when the condition first appeared and how long until he grew out of it? My six year old has just started developing a red, angry rash when his face is exposed to cold temperatures. It rapidly appears but also disappears just as fast when he moves into warm temperatures. When it first occurred he said that his hands itched, but since then he says it doesn't itch at all.

I am a bit worried :(.
Hi - I would see a neurologist and get him to test for an over reacction of the Krause Corpuscles, which are the little bulbs that are the receptors of Cold at the end of each sensitivity nerve ending. Ruffinis corpuscles react to heat and Krause corpuscles react to cold. A sign it could well be that is that the hives and itching go away with heat - like a hairdryer on the hives and in a few seconds they are gone. Many doctors give antihistamines thinking its an excess of histamine that the body is producing - ridiculos theory if in a few seconds of being exposed to a hot hairdryer the itching and hives go away. Please see a neurologist - good luck
In the cold I get rashes all over my face.....and that happends because I had very dry skin I don&#x27;t put any lotion so if this happends to you in the cold I recommend to put on lotion.And last winter I always would put on lotion and i would not get any rashes.