Allergy Community
cold induced rash

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

cold induced rash

My daughter who is now 2 gets a rash whenever her skin is exposed to cold.I started noticing it last winter, when the air indoors or outdoors is 65 degrees or cooler she gets bumps that are slightly raised and they do not seem to itch. They kind of look like welts and she doesn't seem to even know they are there. I asked her peditrician about it and she doesn't think that it is a problem but she couldn't tell me what the cause was, she just said that babies skin is sensitive and she would most likely grow out of it. It is very annoying to me because other mom's are afraid and tend to pull their children away from mine because they think she has an illness of some sort. I searched this website and found a condition called cold urticaria but I don't know if this is right because it doesn't seem to itch or bother her. She also eats ice and cold drinks and she doesn't complain of anything.(she speaks very well for her age and tells me when she is uncomfortable ex.cold,hot,hurt,itchy,tired.). Any suggestions on what this might be? Thank you.
Cold uticaria is an "allergy" to the cold.  Exposure to cold will cause a histamine reaction similiar to that of any allergen, but cold uticaria results in hives that begin on the face, hands, and neck.  The most common form has a rapid onset of hives on exposure to the cold.  To test for this, put an ice cube on the skin for 1-5minutes.  A "positive" would result in the appearance of a hive on the skin.  Prescription antihistamines are recommended for this, as the OTC types usually don't work.  Ask the doctor about Ketotifen.  Usually kids outgrow this condition in 5-6 years.  In severe cases, when the child is in very cold water, hypovolemic shock can have tragic results.  If the ice test is negative (no hives after ice is on for 5 minutes), you may simply have a "cold rash".  This occurs as a physiologic reaction to the cold.  When cold air/water/etc touches the skin, the blood vessels in the skin constrict, reducing oxygen in the skin.  In reaction to the low oxygen, the body produces a chemical reaction to produce an inflammatory agent into the area.  The inflammation reaction causes bumps similiar to goose bumps to occur and a vasodilation of the blood vessels bring more blood and oxygen into the area.  The skin looks red and bumpy and may feel warm to the touch.  Some people "grow out" of this condition, and others have it throughout life.  The only treatment is to prevent cold from reacting with the skin.  Hope this helps
My oldest had this condition when he was young, he rapidly gre out of it and now I have trouble convincing him it's cold enough to wear a jacket in the middle of a snow storm. It is very frightening looking but try not to worry.
do you remember about what age it went away? Did you ever find out what causes this? Thank you.
you may want to research Raynaud's Phenomenom.  I had a cousin who could not take swim lessons because he would break out in a horrible rash.  My mother in law has it so bad, she doesn't travel in winter.  If she gets cold, it starts with the hands/fingers, cutting off oxygen, they turn a ghastly shade of purple-mauve - but there is no itching. I would definately recommend researching Raynaud's.
I have a allergy to cold that I think is pretty serve and it does not just start on thr face and hands, it is pretty much my whole body. I itch like crazy and my hives start to piggyback on top of each other. In a severe attack I have a hard time breathing and I get very tired. It is very hard because people do not believe me or thery say I am crazy.
Help!  Right now my 14 year old daughter is being tested for everything from Lupus to Connective Tissue Disorders to Mono.  She develops hives when she gets cold.  This can be in a restaurant, our finished basement, the swimming pool (when first opened in the season), running her hands in cold water, etc.  We have been told that it could be raynauds disease--everything I've read doesn't point to that, no white discoloration, she just goes straight into the hives and once warm they go away?????  Any suggestions?
Hi everyone!  I stumbbled across this website, because I have cold induced hives.  I am 37 yrs old, and have been suffering from this since Sept. of this year.  They came on out of the blue and have plaqued me daily for 10 months.  I get them from the air condition (house or car) cold water (swimming pool), winter was brutal to say the least, holding something cold, eating icecream, etc. if it's cold I get hives.  My family doctor put me on Doxepin, but it was not helping.  So I went to my daughter's allergy doc, and he increased the Doxepin, and gave me clarinex.  I tried that for a month and it helped alittle, but I was still braking out.  I went back to the allergist and he put me on Cyproheptadine.  He said it was an older antihistamine, that historicly had worked for cold hives.  Well, ta da.....I have been on it for almost 2 weeks, and have had NO HIVES.  So I thought I would pass this along so maybe it would help someone else get some relief.
Hi! I'm 23 and my first reaction to cold was when i was about 17.. I'd get the hives allover my legs since I had to wear a school uniform skirt and in the winter the cold would be simply unbearable. I had never suffered from this as a kid or anything. My worst experience with this was when I went to some rapids last summer and literally, my entire body was covered in bumps... I was a walking rash! It itches so much and gets me in hysterics. That time at the rapids I had to get into the car and turn on the heat to the highest.. I was crying in despair since it just wouldnt go away! It took around an hour for the bumps to dissapear. After that I've had minor breakouts, usually when I come out of the shower or a pool, or simply in cold weather. Also sometimes when I'm holding a drink with ice, my fingers kinda swell up and lose sensitivity.. really weird. Another thing, I've developed a nut allergy over the last couple of years (itchy and swollen lips), so I'm wondering if this is somehow connected? These things didn't happen to me before!!

I have a similar problem. I am now 38 year old. I had my first problem back in 2001 and came back winter of 2005 and has since stuch with me. Back in 2001 it was on my fingers, toes and inner tights. Last summer it started on my finger, toes and inner tights. Next time he showed on different parts of my body. My front tights, hands and under my eyes. Last week I brought my son for his first swim class, this time it was on my front tights and next to my virgina. In the past it came and gone within a few hours. However, this time it stayed for a few days, altough the look and the itchness wasn't as bad as day one. I wonder it lasts for days, does it have anything to do with chlorine in the swimmin pool? The itchyness was really bad. My doctor prescribed me anti-depression pill, she said that sould help. It didn't work for me. I am now on Chinese herbs hope that will help.
I’m 52 and my problem started in 1999 when I was working in the north east doing a major computer rollout. At first I thought it was something I was eating because I away form home and eating out all the time. My hands, back and legs would start to itch from time to time. However when I would come home (Houston, TX.) once every two weeks, the itching seem to stop. I was washing my car one morning when I was home and my hand started itching. My daughter came outside and spayed me with the hose. Shortly there after I started itching all over my body. I then noticed a rash had formed on my arms and legs. Later on in the day I was drinking a cold beer and my hand started to itch.
OH snap! It’s not the food, it’s the cold. So what dose an I. T.  person  do? They go to their computer and type in cold rash. UTICARIA come up and it’s not that uncommon.
ZYRTEC 400mg  has been the answer to my problem. I take one pill in the morning about ½ hour before I take a shower and I’m good to go until the next morning most of the time.
My 13 year old daughter has in the last year had breakouts and the doctors can't figure it out. Anytime she gets into cold water, outside in the cold or the air conditioning she breaks out in these huge itchy hives. They have tested her for Lupus, Juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, she has had an MRI done to see that her hypothalamus is working correctly and several other tests. This past summer she broke out while in the swimming pool, when she got out to get warm it must have been too drastic a change in temperature because she went into a seizure. Since then she is afraid to swim.
It has been really hard for her because it starts on her face, and what teenager wants huge hives on their face in front of their friends.  We tried Claritin and it tends to work some of the time, but not consistently enough.
When I was at camp, I was about 11 or so, we took a trip to a waterpark Mountain Creek in NJ. This waterpark is known for using pure natural spring water so everything is freezing. I jumped into the water and started to shake and chatter and I broke out all over my body, mainly on my legs, chest and hands in hives. I got a shot of benadryl and went to the doctor. He said I was allergic and hypersensitive to cold. My mother did not believe him since she did not see much of the rash, she made me sit outside that night and sure enough, I broke out. After that summer it never happened again but now I'm 17 and for the the past 2 years I have been having sudden numbing and white hands everytime I'm a little cold. I'm also in Color Guard so spinning ice cold metal poles when it's freezing out didn't help. I was diagnosed with Raynaud's Disease. Basically, wear gloves when it's cold and just try to keep warm. That's my story, I just believe that these are linked. I'm pretty thin and have trouble creating body heat, so I'm always cold. Hope this helps!!
I'm 36 now, they came on all of a sudden and everytime anything cold touches me i break out in giant hives from my neck down to my knees. talk about difficult, can't swim with my kids and going in the snow, just standing out side in 70 degree weather sets them off. Embassessing in public walking thru the halls iching my butt because i walked from my car into the school to pick my kids on a cold day.My boyfriends aunt is a nurse and she gave me a spray bottle of benadryl, takes the itch off.
In 1978 I was diagnosed with Erythema Nodosum. The Doctors stated that they did not know what the underlying cause was. Numerous lab tests and x-rays. Each year since then I would break out from head to toe. I always asked the doctors if it was something I am eating They said NO, could it be the cold They said NO. I always related this to the cold. I would tell the Doctors that I though I was allergic to the cold. Last year I became very ill though out the year. Our Carbon Monoxide Alarm (finally went off). I had CO poisoning and now suffer at an extreme level of Erythema Nodosum, cold induced hives, Raynauds and ..... I am now reacting to so many environmental reactions. I refuse to seclude myself to a bubble. The cold is soooooo painful. I am having a had time with getting treatment from the Doctors, since 1978 they have told me that I can not be allergic to the cold. However, my body tells me different. The painful hive go deep into the tissues, it hurts to walk, I have painful lumps from head to toe and can not find a Doctor to help treat me. I now know Doctors do not treat for toxin or poisons, they are not trained for that. However, the toxins and poisons have caused all my ill effects so why aren't thy? Help!
It feels so good to share my story with people that won't laugh and think I'm making a joke.  I'm getting ready to turn 30 and I've dealt with this since I was 13.  I have never been diagnosed by a doctor.  It all started after moving from Missouri to West Virginia.  I believe it's because of a mixture of humidity and the body change that seems to occur about every seven years.  I get hives from any extreme change of cold temp. to the skin of any kind.  The worst is when I'm not cold, but my skin is (such as sweating from exertion or the summer heat and then a breeze or ac cools my skin).  I have had them so bad on my feet that walking feels like the skin on my soles will split open.  My lips, fingers, and toes sometimes turn blue and no matter how many blankets I have won't warm me up.  The worst experience I have had was one winter playing in the snow with my siblings when my toes went numb.  I went inside and hives were everywhere almost like my skin was trying to create insulation.  It took several blankets and several person's body heat to warm me up.  I believe I would have died had my family not been there to warm me, I was shaking so bad.  I still have to have body heat to warm me up when I come home from my very active job on a cold day (otherwise it would take me hours).  I have noticed over the years that my blood pressure is low and I probably have poor circulation not to mention my regular temp is 96.8.  I just hope that my children never have to experience this (no signs yet).  The only advice I have is bundle up, heat up before going out in cold (not enough to sweat), and stay active enough to keep body temp up.  It's a constant battle and an impossible balance, but what else ya gonna do?
It just happened to me last Friday (1st Feb 2008) after I clean the snow off my car. I break out hive in my face. Since then I break out hive in the different part of my body. Simple thing like walking on the cool floor at home (I don't even feel the cold)! Couple of times, it happen when I just in and out of the car, anywhere between -5 C to +4 C. The colder the worset. On Saturday, night after I have finish eating the ice-cream, I feel my throat is scratchy and some what swollen. Me and my wife drove to ER. We just wait outside the hospital in order to see whether I start having anaphylax shock or not. We waited for 30 mins or so, it didn't happen. Finally, I went to the walk in clinic on Sunday ask for the prescription for Zantac (150 mg twice daily) and prednisone (40 mg daily) and Benadryl 50 mg every 6 hours, so far it did not help at all. I don't mind the hive but angioedema is something else. Did any one had anaphylax shock because of the cold induced urticaria???
I have had these bumps on my hands every winter for the past 11 years. they get red itch dry up and fall off but it takes a few months. this year i thought they were going away and they came back. my doc thought it was frost bite, lupus, herpes and raynauds. i have no clue but they are really unatractive and i have to wear band aids on my fingers
i am 15 and whenever it is cold i get rashes on my inner thighs and upper arms. if i hold something cold my fingers swell. It is unbearable. My doctor has perscribed me allergy medication but sometimes it works and sometimes it dosen't. Help, give me answers. It is not really hives but read patches and itches like mad. my friends think its related to stress.
  I would call those hives.  It's a reaction to the cold.  I don't usually itch until my body tries to warm up and for some reason it seems to be common on my thighs as well.  There really is no "cure" that I know of.  Benadryl or some allergy medicines can help, but honestly the best advice I've found is keeping your body warm!  It definitely doesn't make one feel better that nothing really helps, but if you let your body get to cold, you can go into hypothermia.  From what I've read, no one is too interested in this problem, because it is uncommon.  It is not related to stress and it is not all in your head (as my father had told me all my life).  I hope that your situation does not occur for very long.  It's recorded to not last but a couple of years although I have been dealing with it for about 17 years now.  Also, make sure you tell any hospital that you are in so they give you warm blankets (make them!), I haven't been in one yet where they have even heard of this craziness.
It seems to me that she is suffering from a condition called physical allergy.Physical allergies are allergic reactions to cold, sunlight, heat, or minor injury.
The immune system usually responds only to certain kinds of chemicals, namely proteins. However, non-proteins can trigger the same sort of response, probably by altering a protein to make it look like a target. Physical allergy refers to reactions in which a protein is not the initial inciting agent.
Cold can change certain proteins in the blood so that they induce an immune reaction. This may indicate that there are abnormal proteins in the blood from a disease of the bone marrow. The reaction may also involve the lungs and circulation, producing wheezing and fainting.
Itching can be controlled with cold packs or commercial topical agents that contain menthol, camphor, eucalyptus oil, aloe, antihistamines, or cortisone preparations.
ref:http://www.myonlinewellness.com/topic/physicallergy

Thank goodness I found this site, and all your comments.  I just started having symptoms of cold urticaria July 2008, I visited the dermatologist and he said that I probably have it and I will go back in a month after summer is over to run some tests.  When I touch anything cold for more than a couple of minutes, my hands become painful, a bit itchy and then throbbing - nothing really visible, perhaps a bit red... it lasts about 5 minutes.  When I took a swim in the sea and came out, I started feeling a bit itchy on my legs and noticed the forming of hives on inner thighs, back of knees, stomach.  If I carry something cold touching my inner arms, I get a small breakout.  The itching lasts only for a couple of minutes max, and its not really unbearable, just uncomfortable.  A couple of strange thing in my case, is I appear to be slightly sensitive to hot as well.  I was holding my coffee cup and when I set it down, my finger tips where tingling as if they fell asleep, again, only lasted about 5 minutes.  When I was cooking a few times I felt sensitive if the steam hit my inner arms, they felt itchy and I got a slight rash.  Warm showers are fine and I have no problem.  The other strange thing I can't finger out if it is related is that soon after all these cold urticaria symptoms, my teeth are quite sensitive to cold, only the back molars (3 of them). Only if the cold touches the tooth, otherwise I can drink cold drinks just fine.  Is that coincidental?  Anyone else having tooth sensitivity?  
I came across this website while researching, and I wondered if anyone has any answers. I am a teenager, and just recently I discovered that whenever I go swimming in a non-heated pool I break out in hives. At first it was only on my legs, and mostly the backs of my knees. But a few weeks later I went tubing and when the cold water hit my face and arms, the reaction started there. My mom is concerned and wonders if there is anything we can do about this. Does anyone know if there is medication or something we can try?
Well I have them also but not cold induced there are a lot of them out there, Mine is Chronic Urticaria also Pressure Urticaria and Dermagraphism,  Put Urticaria into the search Engine there a ;lot odf stuff online  ,with some people they get relief from itching from varied anti histimines ,they make me sick, I am still researching it, I started getting them after Dental workin May , but if yours are just Cold they will tell you about it on the site, it may last a short while maybe a long while, I have found the Natural Remedy sites best, Doctors dont seem to know anything,they try to  put you on Steroids with really bad side effects and long term effects.Hope you find more information and they stop soon.
Hello All,

I have lived close to 17 years being allergic to the cold....in New England.  It has not been easy, nor fun..watching my kids make snowmen from inside the house and not being able to go sledding during the winter, or even going swimming on a hot day in the summer.  I just started taking zyrtec 10 mg a couple of days ago...I'm tired of not being able to stand outside in the morning I'm hoping this works.  I too have a low body temp, poor circulation, and low blood pressure.  I have also had heart palpitations though I'm sure this is related.

For those of you new to the allergy..please watch yourself carefully, for me it started off as rashes, but I have had several incidents of my throat swelling and breathing made difficult, each reaction can be different depending upon the exposure.
I have been having a rash for 6 months now. First started in May 2008 when I was cleaning my garage, I first thought it was an allergic reaction from the dust and heat. This continued when I started to get hot or sweaty, it really was annoying. I also noticed that when it got colder the rash would swell up again, and my rash-welts starting from my fore arms, inner/outer thighs, stomach areas, and back. This problem is really annoying and very embarrassing. It has been happening in hot and cold and now since it's November 2008 it continues and I must wear long sleeves just to cover myself.
My temporary solution is Zertec 5mg over the counter stuff. I have been taking it once a day for over 4 months now. I need some insight on this problem and I don't see anyone on here with any reasonable suggestions as to what may be causing it. I need to get to the root of the problem, not finding temporary fixes. My Doctor said it's just a skin allergy that should go away. He put me on antihistimines (Zertec) But guess what it annoys the crappa out of me. Now that I see some other folks are having the same similair issues but they've had it for years this is really getting to me.
I use Head & Shoulders shampoo, I use Axe Body wash, I use Purex laundry detergent, Bounty air freshner. (Yes, I am a 29 year old male, 5'5, 155lbs) Please someone shed some light here I'm sure all of us would like to know what the root cause may be. Myself and other folks don't want the long winded answer but a good one would be nice.
Your help and suggestions are welcomed.
I have a 7yr old son who breaks out in hives within minutes of being exposed to cold air.  It started about 2 years ago.  He gets them mostly from late fall through early spring.  He can be out in fairly warm air in the early evening, but when the cool evening air comes in, he will start to break out.  He says they don't itch, but somehow he can tell that he is breaking out.  Interestingly, he only breaks out on areas that are exposed -- his face and neck 1st, then on the tops of his hands, etc.  If he has on a short sleeved shirt, he will break out on his arms, but if he is wearing a long sleeved shirt, his arms don't react.  Within minutes of going indoors, the hives disappear on their own.  He does have a presciption of Zyrtec, which we give him if we know he will be out in the cold; it helps considerably.  He also reacts in the summer if he gets in a cold swimming pool, but it never seems to progress past very pronounced hives -- no breathing problems, etc.  I think it is more of an embarassment for me; i feel bad because other parents are horrified by the way he looks, but he is harmless.  He deals with it well and we keep a close eye on him to make sure he doesn't get any worse symptoms, but so far, it's just the hives.
This fall has already been terrible for me.  I have moved into my sisters house which is VERY cold!  It's an old house and I truly believe it's going to be the death of me.  I haven't had hives so often in my life.  It *****!  I really want to be able to walk around the house or even sit on the couch without blankets.  The only way i can warm back up is by having my children lay with me or take a really hot shower.  This is never-ending and no meds help!  And on top of the hives I am exhausted when I finally warm back up.  Feet are the worst!  I hope all of you stay warm and safe.  Don't let yourself go thinking you can expose yourself to the cold for long periods of time.  It WILL kill you.  Hypothermia can set in.  Good luck with warmth.
I HAVE HAD A REATION TO THEE COLD SENCE I WAS 19 THAT WAS 20 YEAR AGE BUT IM JUST STAYING OUT OF REALY COLD WEATHER.KIND OF WIERD THOUGH,DOCTOR SAID 1 OUT OF 4 THATS WHAT I TELL MY FRIENDS .THEY LAUGH,ME TO ............
My daughter has these same symptoms as well.
So many messages here with seemingly very little positive results.
I hate to sound unscientific, but even though the reaction is based on histimine, perhaps the solution is based on something else.

The meds mentioned here only seem to address the symptom and not the cause.

In our families case, here are some potentially important items:
My wife was diagnosed with MS in her early 20s. She was wheelchair-bound as she could not walk. She overcame it by getting and ELISA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELISA) which told her she was allergic to 39 foods. She removed those foods from her diet, and she started getting better. She had Physical therapy, and was able to walk again, and then she started exercising and lost a lot of weight. She has been mostly asymptomatic for the last 20 years.

My situation is that starting in the spring until late fall, when I take a shower, I come out EXTREMELY itchy. Hot or cold water, doesn't matter. The itchies happen.

I bring up my wife and myself because I wonder if my daughter's cold rash has more to do with genetics.

My issue is clearly skin related, and my wife's was immune system related. I'm just thinking that we as a community need to start looking elsewhere for answers. The medical profession doesn't seem to consider this a real issue, but we know what a real problem this is.

I hope I've made some sense here.
If you'd like to contact me, you can reach me at ***@****
I have colduticaria and Im 16 years old, I dont think Im gonna grow out of it. I got the ice cube test and turned out positive. :) When I was little I would develop a bad rash and get itchy all over along with red blotchiness during winter or occaisionally snowy weather. Now its not as bad as it used to be, but if I hold a cold can of drink, my fingers swell up and go red. Normal English weather (wind especially) is annoying as my ears, legs, neck and face get extremely itchy in low temperatures.
Oh and it took a while for people to believe me. Teachers wouldnt believe me especially, so I had to endure it during winter PE lessons :/ best to take a medical letter from your GP or parents during difficult situations such as those.
My 15 yr old daughter has had cold uticaria since she was 9. We had tried lots of allergy meds and nothing worked. We changed doctors for other reasons and she noticed that my daughter was taking meds that were not working and she did some research on cold uticaria and came up with a combo of 2 allergy meds, over the counter Zyrtec 10mg and prerscription of singulair 10mg and they actually worked!! She now lives a normal life of a 15 yr old as long as she takes her meds.
I am a 29 year old female. And my problem started when I was around 13yrs old. This for me is hereditary, my father has suffered all his life from it. It starts on my thighs, back of knees (the worst), and my lower back. I too have just started doing my own research. This fall I'm going to start benedryl to see if it works. So far even the Dr.s do not know the answer. This is crippling and when it starts I go into a violent mood swing, because I am so damn uncomfortable. I don't want to be touched and when this starts the sight of ants grouped together or wet tissue on the ground grosses me out to the point of hysteria. And it all goes away once I'm warm. My father too would go into unpredictable violent mood swings. (don't know if it's connected but it all starts with the COLD!!!)
I am so grateful to have stumbled onto this site. My own mother didn't believe me until i one day said something about how the cold affected me and she said "you sound like your father". And that is how I found out that I inherited this. I just wanted to add that Dr.s say this is common in fair skinned people, well i am not that. I am neither "fair" or "dark" I am African American, my complexion is brown. My dad on the other hand is very fair (half French, half African). I don't get skin blotched and if i do I can't tell, I get bumps as small as the tip of a sewing needle, and if i quickly bend down i get a shooting pain and it feel like needles going through my legs. (how can you avoid the cold?!!) there has got to be a better answer.
I had mono when i was a junior in high school and the way i found out about it was i was in the shower with very hot water my feet and entire body started to break out in rashes bigger than the size of a quarter. Needless to say i was freaking out so i went to the emergency room where they diagnosed me with mono. (in which i soon afterwards starting to have all the other symptoms of mono)

In the beginning, if i was pissed, stressed, hot, or cold i would break out in rashes all over my body or in the places that were affected by the heat or coldness.

Now, i only break out whenever i get cold. Sometimes all it takes is walking outside for 5 minutes and my legs are super itchy with whelping rashes. Whoever said that Texas doesn't have winters and doesn't get cold is a damn liar! Also, if i sit on a cold floor or a cold chair, the back of my thighs will break out, even if i'm wearing jeans.

Usually if i take zyrtec before i go to bed, I am good for the next day as far as breaking out goes.

I've pretty much been told that i am going to have to deal with this rash for the rest of my life because mono stays in the body forever.
I am 45 with low blood pressure and heart palpitations,  but otherwise healthy. I get the same hives as you guys from the cold. Is there anything that anyone knows of that actually helps without causing side effects?
I have what your child has. I am 29 years old and I have had it as long as I can remember. I grew up in sunny Los Angeles and I would get it. It seems that as long as my core temp is warm, I don't get the non-itchy bumps. I get made fun of all the time. I get the bumps on my face, hands, legs and feet. My hands swell to the point where it's painful to make a fist. Sometimes I can't walk.

It doesn't necessarily need to be cold out for this to happen (as I deduced from living in L.A.), it has to do with my body temperature. The symptoms take about 24 hours to fully go away for me.

The only advice I have found I believe I read above. Keep warm! That's it. No drugs, nothing special. As soon as the core temp starts to dip, it's time to take a warm bath.

Also something that I didn't read was when I was my affected hands in warm water (not hot) it feels as if the water is about 1,000 degrees and i have to wash them in cold water instead. Sorry for the not so useful advice. Other than this "condition" as I've called it all my life, I am perfectly healthy. I wouldn't let this hinder your child from doing anything.
I'm 33. I have the same problem..rash with dry air cold, after shower I put lotion or sometime I use baby power at least I smell fresh like a baby.lol. It help sooth the rash.  I went to the Dr. He prescribe me some medication i think you could also get them off the counter. It's call Certrizine Hcl 10mg or ask your Pharmacy about it. You only take it when you have the rash. I can't wait until summer time. I just love Minnesota weather..=0)
I know this may be Out dated and dead. But I have become so sick of this condition I want to know people who have it the same as me,

My name is Matthew, I live in Ireland and ever since 2006 I have when ever its cold. OR too hot, or its wet, I break out in a rash first my scalp gets teribly itchy, And the worst part of it is I get puffy skin, Like anaphilaxis, I have went into Anaphylactic shock three times, Each time I nearly died. my doctors dont know anything and I am on telfest everyday. This is ruining my life! I need someone who has the same condition! I cant swim go outside for fear of this.

My Email is

***@****
I used to be fine swimming in cold weather, and going out in the cold until about a year ago. Now anytime I have the goose bumps, i start to get the hives. I havn't seen a doctor, because by the time i get an appointment, their gone. I've read up on cold urticaria and the hives usually appear on the face, hands, and neck. However, mine only appear on my upper legs, spread to my lower legs, and my hips. Anyone have any ideas on the best way to calm the itching fast? or to prevent them before they appear?
I have had this same thing for years and believe it or not when I use hand sanitizer they go away. Try that and see if it works for you too..
i also have this kind of allergy.. I'm 18 yrs old..because the temperature here in the Philippines is warm so i don't have any problem in going out.. but when I'm in the classroom and it is air-conditioned.. it will begin to appear in my face and neck.. when I'm expose to warm it will slowly disappear.
Hi everyone,
I am with you all.  This condition is caused by a weak immune system, as all allergies are.  Study TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine), and you will see that if there are blockages of energy flow in the body, you will pay, one way or the other.  Western medicine and chemicals are just making everyone worse in the long run.  Symptoms are like beacons that lead to the actual imbalance.  All chemical, synthetic drugs to is suppress your immune system terriblly, confuse your body, and make the symptoms "go away", which just means that the real underlying problem is still there, and will manifest itself in some other way.  It's all so simple.  Traditional Chinese Medicine, Homeopathy, Nutrition....all of these things will make you better!!
Ok so I guess I'm not weird! I have the same thing it's been going on for 6 years and I'm 21 now. It can be 90 degrees outside and I will go swimming and if the water is not 75 degrees or hotter I will break out into these hives as well. I went to the doctors to see if they knew what it was and they told me they have No idea!?!
i hav my rash right now...jus got out of the shower =/....it was a hot shower to. when i had gone to needles for the weekend my family went to swim in the river, i had to stay on the sand beach with 110 degree weather shining down on me, n about an hour bein in the sun my rash broke out tremendously. i hate having it...pretty much ruins my life and makes me kinda depressed. i cant perform hard working physical activities without them being there... i find that cannibus surpreses the irritation
I have been dealing with this since I was 3 years old, I’m 32 now.  I am so happy to speak to others that have this too......even though my family tries to understand they can’t know what it feels like to be cold and in pain.  When they go outside they just feel the cold and can get on with it....other people with Cold Urticaria have to decide if we will even go out that day.  

My great-grandmother on my father’s side also suffered from this but that is all I know about.  It doesn’t matter if it’s cold weather, air-conditioning or cold sweat on my body. The worst is a cold wind though!  I break out on my hands, arms and legs first but if I am out for a while it can spread all over my body, including the soles of my feet!

The hives itch so much I cry and have made myself bleed from scratching so much but I have learned to deal with it over the years and can usually hide the hives pretty well.  Except for the face and hands.  I just know that I can’t go outside very much from Autumn through to Spring and if I do the people I am with have to accept it.

I have been to the doctor a couple time with this.  One said that it might be Reynaud’s disease but didn’t do anything else for me.  One gave me Zyrtec to take once a day...I did that for a year but it did not help.  I am now going to see a specialist in London and hopefully will get some answers...so I will be sure to post them.

As some of the others have said....I am relatively healthy too...but I do have problems with my veins and think that I am on my way to getting varicose veins...again from my lovely Father’s side of the family!   Maybe the hives and the circulation are all related?
WOW is all i can say. i thought i was crazy and this was only happining to me. i just dropped my wife off at work, it's 30 degrees out side my hands started itching big red hives were breaking out all over my legs, belly, knees real bad. it just started last year the docs told me i was crazy and this was unheard of. well i do live in a small town in arkansas so there not that great here anyway. i broke out really bad went to the docters i set in the waiting room for a hour waiting on the doc buy this time it went away i go out side and BAMM it comes back WHAT IS THIS CALLED WHAT CAN I TELL MY DOC I THINK I HAVE? from now on when i go to the docs im gonna wait out side and suffer myself just so he can see the hives and man this stuff itches so bad itches mostly on my knees and hands on me but breaks out everywere. im so glad i found this site
Hi, welcome to the forum, there are cases been reported in few posts regarding 'allergic to cold things. (http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Allergy/Allergic-to-water-Aquagenic-Pruritus/show/1292538). Very less has been known about water allergy. If you are allergic to cold things then following measures will help you-

- she should keep herself warm and avoid direct exposure to the cold wind
-also there may be some allergen like pollen, dust to which baby might be allergic
- She should Keep herself cool during summer as even sweating will cause reaction.
- Try boiling water before bath and as well can try hot water bath.

I suggest you to consult pediatrician for further evaluation and management.
I hope this will help you. Take care and regards.

I live in the North (Nunavut, Canada) to be exact, and in 2008 while I was into my 3rd month of pregnancy I started breaking out with hives, unbearable numbness in my fingers and felt like my fingertips were ready to explode, itchy/swollen lips, huge dumbo size ears every time I was exposed to cold.  I have come to realize that when I got pregnant my hormones went all wacky and got a new allergy.  Allergies I have never had before.  Living in the North where we have 8 months of winter with an average norm of -30C and in the summer where our summers never get any warmer then 20C life sure proved difficult.  

6 months later I had my baby and the hives and all symptoms went away.  Its been about 2 years now, and within the last 4 days, all symptoms have come back with a vengeance, twice as worst as two years ago.  I'm a 37 year old woman, and its making me wonder if a move to warmer climate may need to be addressed.  Has anyone ever died of over exposure to cold due to allergies?  Can I risk continuing to live in the North where my family and career is.   I dress as warm as possible and cover every part of my skin, now its making me wonder if the cold particles we breath in affects the triggers?  

If anyone can understand the pain the cold does to our bodies, I think it might be all of you who have posted in the past.  My fingers affect me the most, they swell up so much, the pain of feeling like they are ready to explode and turn reddish white is excruciating. The doctors have told me to just stay warm, any other suggestions like benedryl, or pills would definitely help.  
I too developed cold urticaria about 7 or 8 years ago and it's never gone away.  I don't know why it started, but I'd been doing more stuff outside like running and practical conservation work and initially I thought the company I worked for had fleas in the carpet as I started getting itchy lumps on my legs first whilst at work (there wasn't any fleas I might add).

I've had hayfever since I was at primary school and am allergic to penicillin. In my mid teenage years I developed asthma and my late teens I became allergic to Zinc Oxide (so no calamine lotion, beauty products or suntan lotions with that in for me).  I'm going to be 40 this year and I have to take anti-histamines every day now or else within a day of stopping I start itching on my hands like mad, then my head and legs start itching and then I come out in hives, mainly on my legs and bum and especially if it's even slightly cool.  

As I live in the UK the weather is never hot enough for me to go without the tablets.  I'd love to see whether things were different in a hot country with less airbourne pollen in the air, but I suspect that I'll still need antihistamines somehow. I think the reason I get hives mainly on my bottom half, is because that's the area that we don't tend to wear extra layers on in the cold weather (or I didn't use to anyway).

I recently read that allergies may be the result of improved living conditions ironically enough.  In countries that have less sanitary conditions and gut parasites such a helminths (worms), there seems to be less allergies occuring in people.  Research that has been undertaken has concluded that now our bodies do not have to defend against these invaiders, it seems kind of lost for what to defend against now, thus their attention has been drawn to other things that aren't really a threat, i.e. pollen, dust mites, mold spores, animal dander, air pollution, insect bites, foods and of course for us: temperature extremes.  So, unfortunately it looks like our stupid bodies can't evolutionarily keep up with modern developments and lifestyle advances.  

See this: http://www.themedguru.com/20101114/newsfeature/maggots-leeches-and-worms-may-cure-severe-allergies-researchers-86141842.html

and: http://www.technologyreview.com/biomedicine/25017/

Researchers are however looking at whether there is anything the worms excrete that we can safely take to keep our immune systems happily by tricking it into thinking it's doing a good job chasing worms away again.  So, other than taking antihistamines I think it's something we're just gonna have to live with as there is no cure just yet...apart from possbily getting infected with worms...eek!  Anyone fancy trying it?
I think the only way to cure this "allergic to cold" is to wear enough clothing and please do not expose your skin to cold weather as I experienced. If I bath early in the morning with not so worm water, then later I will get hives on my legs. It will off within 1 hour. Please do not scratch it. I will put some itch powder to relief the itchness. By the way, I am from Malaysia.
I think the only way to cure this "allergic to cold" is to wear enough clothing and please do not expose your skin to cold weather as I experienced. If I bath early in the morning with not so worm water, then later I will get hives on my legs. It will off within 1 hour. Please do not scratch it. I will put some itcy powder to relief the itcyness. By the way, I am from  Malaysia.
I have had this condition all of my life.  My Mother took me to the Doctor when I was young but the rash would disappear by the time I got to see the Dr. He prescribed barrier creams etc but nothing has ever worked. I can get this rash all over my body in long term cold but generally starts on hands, feet and face.  I am female and 48 years old and still get it but don't know of anyone else who has ever suffered with it. I have basically just learned to live with it having never had any explaination for it.  Suggestions have been nerve endings too close to surface of skin, allergic reaction, low immunity - who knows?  
My husband rides a Motorcycle He is 40
Twice This MONTH he has gone out when it was Warm on his Bike wearing a Tshirt but it got colder cause he rode till dark.

His Arms where they were bare were red , Itchy and Bumpy like Flea bites
In a Hour OR less the itch,red,and Bumps are Gone
this Did Not happen Last year

thanks
Cindy
my name is amanda,im 26 and in novenmber when it started to get cold out i broke out in hives never knew what it was, i made an appt with my doctor hoping to get answers on what is going on , they put me on benedryl, allegra, everything even creams needles to say it went away after winter but returned in june!! after i went swimming with my daughter , i was in the water for about 15 mins before i decided to get out the water was pretty cold but after a hott day i thought it was perfect for cooling off with in 2 mins of getting out of the water i hit the severe reaction ..... i got instant swelling on my legs n feet yelled for my mom to help me off the ladder n boom thought i could walk but couldnt my blood pressure dropped n my sight n hearing was fading i passed out n was rushed by ambulance!!!! i believe i had a anaphlyptic reaction n mind you im 14 weeks pregnant!!! baby is doing good but im not having much luck with getting a proper diagnosis, and thank god my mom was home n i didnt pass out in pool as i would have drowned!! i really feel like this is a very serious condition and no docor can give me answers!! But im postive this is cold urticaria bc i placed a ice pack on leg for 3 mins and it immediatley welted right up to the size of the ice pack!!!  
Same with me.  I break out in hives every time i am stressed, sometimes for no reason at all, and all the time when it is cold or windy.  They start on my arms and legs and go all over my body from my face and neck to buttocks.  It itches so bad it drives me crazy.  I can't stand to be in my own skin...  I scratch so severely that I am scabbed, scratched, and raw all over.  Wish I knew what to do.  Tried benadryl and that doesn't help.  Everyone thinks I am nuts or have some kind of contagious something.
omg. Finaly people that know how i feel.the first time i broke out into hives was around 4-6?? Years old. I would get them when i would lay on the cold grass. And bang my whole body would break out into a rash. My mom thought i was allergic to the grass.
Around that age i broke out more, then it stop. Till i was 18 i got it once more twortds the end of my day at the beach, i thought it must of been the sand, then it went away within an hour. Years went by then i got it again at the age of 23 it happend on a cold morning, then again while i was washing dishes with cold water. The. It stop and now I'm 28 and for the past week I've had them everyday. I was going crazy thinking i was being attack by fleas or mosquitos. And it finaly hit me its the cold/water. I'm a mom now nursing and i dnt want to tk any meds and money is tight. What works the best is just keeping warm and a shower. I hate the. Chilly goose bump feeling anxious of scraching.
I am 18 an i have the same problem, when ever i get cold or it dosnt even have to be cold really just enuff to bother me i brake out in red bumps all over i mean all over and they do hurt not so itch but when i get it in my hands witch is a daylie deal it feels like i have arthritice ( dont know how to spell it) and it hurts really bad i just got it last summer when i was at work. i take zurtec and it seems to work a little but im glad to hear that there is other people out there like it and i would do about any thing to get reed of it, i feel like its putting a big stop on to me life :( i cant do most of the things my friends do because i look like bubble rap in a couple mins if there is a med i would love o get ahold of it
Hey guys im 16 im pretty sure I have cold urticaria because everytime it gets cold inside or out I break out in hives somtimes they itch and sometimes they don't and they don't go away for at least 4 hours I've figured out that clergy mess seem to work but its getting worse and it's supposed to go away the older you get so maybe I don't have it any comments?
Yeah, I am 15 turning 16 (this month) and I have been struggling with allergic reactions ever since I was 5-ish. Not only till Grade 8, I was told I was allergic to the cold. In addition to this, I am occasionally allergic to fish, chicken, eggs, peanuts and nuts. I was made fun of my condition in Grade 7, which resulted into a depressing year. I covered up my body to conceal my rash and scaly skin, in fact I never wore a t-shirt in public since Grade 4.

Now back to my allergy to the cold. Yes, no one believed me I was allergic to the cold (not even myself.) When the cold season starts, my face would feel puffed up and itchy. It would be occasionally filled with hives or just scaly patches of redness. Grade 9 and 10 became even more horrible because I was starting High School.

Not only that, I became so depressed (no one knew though) because of my skin condition and felt sick everyday. I missed a majority of the school year which gave bad to average grades. So, with the stress of my grades going down plus the stress of my skin equals to EVEN MORE STRESS. Now during the summer, I went to the dermatologist and he told me my condition was genetic. I couldn't see how, since my parents and their relatives do not have skin conditions. I felt that because it is "genetic" I could never get rid of it. Upon hearing this, I just wanted to cry.

So he prescribed me with this skin oil and cream to put on top of it. He also gave me pills. He told me to take a bath/shower everyday and do not dry yourself with a towel. Once you come out of the shower put this oil and cream combo on your skin. I was quite skeptical.

It turns out, that it worked within the second week. My skin became smoother and less densed with eczema (especially my face and neck). The prescribed pills were a great addition to this too.

But now, it is the colder seasons and I ran out of my medication. Within two weeks off medication, it came back to haunt me. I realized then that I could never get rid of it, but atleast I can control it. I know it's bad to say that I have to rely on meds, but this summer and early fall using the meds helped take away my depression.

So, my mom tells when she gets the money, she'll purchase these and yeah.

I'll just list what works for me and/or what I used to control facial and body rashes:

1. Keep your skin hydrated. Every night (lol I also ran out of Aveeno) put Aveeno (regular) on your face and body and take Benadryl. In this way, you won't be up at night scratching miserably and uncontrollaby. Your skin would be hydrated for the whole night. And within a few days or weeks, your skin (especially on your face) will be noticably clearer. Also, change your bedsheets every now and then.

2. I felt that the combination of Aveeno+Curel worked for the first few months. Gave me some relief. I put Aveeno first then Curel.

3. The Skin Oil + Cream (cream was in a cylinder container and the cream was white, not transperent and creamy) after showers. Do not use scented body washes, but if it's all you have, make sure it is mild.

4. That big cylinder container of cream (this one was transperent cream and oily) worked for a bit. It is usually the cream that your doctor prescribes on your first visit. I used it for my face (I don't think you are supposed to lol) but I put a little bit before I sleep. Then I took Benadryl. It would be noticably clearer in the morning. The only downfall is that it will bleach your skin for a few weeks. XD I would suggest you use the tips from 1-3 rather than this one, even if it kinda works.

I know this has been a long comment, but I went through allergic reactions and symptoms for more than 10 years. And I am only 15 turning 16.

Hope it helps and this whole thing wasn't too confusing. :)

Good luck!
did you ever find out what it was? i have the same problem and dr's cant figure it out please e mail me ***@****
I don't know if my condition is quite the same as hives, as my reaction to cold was large lumps. Hatless in the cold, my forehead develops lumps (not rashes per se) and once watching sports in winter, my lips became swollen, so much so that a friend asked if someone had hit me in the mouth. Like other contributors, swimming was a no-no unless it was the Mediterranean in mid-summer. I once developed a load of lumps between my armpits and hips from swimming. The lumps usually took 12 hours to completely disappear. I have less of a problem now (though I never put it to the test these days). I am 69, so it is something that you have to cope with.
is it Urticaria?? two years back i was driving and the cold air of my car hitting me i started with itch and swelling rash on my hands I was thinking it was probably a lotio I had used, so I changed body lotion but still kept on coming, then after on my feet now my body. yesterday i was out in the cold and for the first time i felt this way now on all over my body,face and skull I started feeling dizzy and a flush of heat on my face turning red then I could not breath felt weekness and had fast heartbeats my husband and I were extremly afraid since this was the first time so I rushed to the hospital I was recommended to have Benadryl and a shot in my purse in case I had this severe reacion again due to hives. now I cover my self very well during winter or try to stay indooors as much as I can, I would know for how long I have to deal with this matter all I know that I have to take care of myself as much as I can.
Hi guys! I'm glad I'm not the only one facing this weird condition! I'm working in an airconditioned office, everyday if it's too cold, I will have these rashes/welts/hives (whatever you wanna call it) appearing on my hands, legs, thighs & sometimes on my face too! I seriously need to know what is this condition/allergy called so that I can be treated. Everytime, when I go to the doc, it will fade away so the doc can treat me.. it *****! pls do contact me & share your experiences! thanks.
NunavutMom - I moved from Toronto, Ontario to Virginia (south of DC) 10 years ago.

I started to break out about 12 years ago. Living near Toronto, my allergy would flare up within 5 minutes of being outside (in the winter).
Here, my allergy flares up within 5 minutes of being inside (in the summer).
I think my allergy is somewhat better because I can control the temperature better, but not always. Around here, we have humid summers and everywhere has their air pumped up really high from April to October. When I come inside from a hot day I break out quickly and I often have to change into wear winter clothes  because of this. So, whether you live north or south, the allergy won't be better or worse unless you can control the temperature.
Hi my 4 year old is having the same reaction outside and I am so scared wondering if you have any idea what this is?
I've had something like that happen to me earlier, when I let my Speedy Freeze lean against me too long. Small non-itchy bumps appeared on my mid-body section. That spot is kinda numb now >.<
We don't have to SUFFER like this (and have people not believe us or tell us we have various illnesses that our condition is *NOT*).  There are TWO things that will STOP the rash (not cure it, but hey!---you won't get it anymore, and that's GREAT!)  
An OLD antihistamine Cyproheptadine will take it AWAY for GOOD!!! (take a PICTURE of your rash if it's not active when you see your doctor,  thus he/she does NOT believe you DO suffer!!!)
Zyrtec (generic Cetirizine) will take it away; BUT you usually have to get it from a DOCTOR, *not* over-the-counter because you NEED a larger mg of the medicine.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL!!! And God bless you!  There ARE people who understand what you go through!!!

You are exactly correct!!!  We *are* just treating the symptoms and NOT finding a solution/end/cure...  BUT, that is because NO one in the medical community gives a d@mn about us/it.  Maybe it's too uncommon for them to PROFIT of it/us... Maybe a lot of things...  But unless one of us SUFFERERS gets a medical degree, , , I'm afraid the ONLY thing we can do is keep swapping stories of way that have LESSENED our hellish symptoms.  (people often think it's no big deal; but they're wrong. this hurts us, it wakes us up at night, it's very embarrassing and effects or quality of life)  
But, zenmasterb, I understand your point, and I WISH it were so...

Happy Holidays to you and your family zen...
a LOT of people say there is something that's helping them, so miskit, it IS worth a try in my opinion.  try 10mg of zyrtec and 10mg of singulair a day.  OR you can try a stronger does of JUST zyrtec (generic is cetirizine, and it is at walmart for .88 cents!)

also, there's an OLD antihistamine that RARELY gets prescribed anymore (because there are soooo many newer ones); but it HELPS a lot of us!!! it's called: Cyproheptadine   For this medicine, you WILL, unfortunately, have to see a doctor for. BUT since the doctors do not believe us, , , I would suggest taking a PICTURE of your live, ACTIVE rash at its WORST to bring with you as PROOF of your suffering.

So, good luck to you. I understand this, and I know it's HELL on earth!!! I wish you the VERY best, and I HOPE these things WILL work for you!!!

It KILLS me that the medical docs/hospitals/etc. NEVER EVER know what this is!!! WOW.  I'm sorry, but I HAVE to vent!  We can CLONE a human being; but the doctors cannot diagnose us! What the freak???  They NEVER know what this is, OR they tell us some bull crap like it's eczema or even, goodness forbid, herpes or some other FOOLISHNESS!!!  

Well, good thing there's informative people like you cranberrielove!  Because now we know the docotors/pharm companies will not profit enough to research this so the condition has a PROPER medical term.  SO THEN, the only thing left for us to do is treat our condition as best as we can.

The things that seem to work for a lot of us are:  Zyrtec (name-brand Cetirizine available WITHOUT a doctor at walmart for a dollar or two)  alone OR in combination with Singular.
Also the OLD antihistamine that the docs never think of anymore WORKS a lot: Cyproheptadine          But for this one unfortunately you need a doctor to write the script out for you. Therefore, I would suggest taking a picture of your hives at their WORST as proof of your suffering. And I would try using the over-the-counter remedies first (so you don't need to go through the dang stress of a doctor NOT knowing and believing you)

Good luck to you all, and I am SO sorry for your suffering. I understand, believe me. So BEST wishes to you all!!!
Hi, I just cam across your post this morning.  I was looking on behalf of my 35 yr. old daughter.  Like you, it came out of the blue so severe that it affected her breathing and she needed to go to ER.  Since the initial attack she is suffering daily as you said you were.  Did the drs. ever say why this happens?  My daughter will get an appt. hopefully today with a Dermatologist and mention the medication you spoke of, Cyproheptadine.  
She has two small children and cannot go outside with them at all for fear of break outs (which will happen).  Thanks for your post, hope you continue to be break out free.
Michele