constantly smell cigarette smoke
I have been experiencing the same thing for about a week or so--smell cigarette smoke when no smoke exists. Thought it was coming from the AC vent in my office but then started smelling it in car and at home. The strange thing is that when I inhale, sometimes the odor is so real I feel my eyes slightly burning as if I were sitting next to someone smoking. I am 40 yrs. old, never smoked, have been off depression meds for about 8 mos. No recent sinus infections.

This discussion is related to constantly smelling cigarette smoke.
I have had this problem off and on for five years.  It started in a house I was renting and I asked the landlord if anyone every lived there that smoked.  She said an elderly lady that lived there for years and died in the house smoked.  The smoke smell began to follow me places.Now it is so strong and it is centered around my husband whom I feel has ill health.  Neither of us have ever smoked.  I am convinced that it is a supernatural thing.  He never smells it and he thinks I am crazy.  Sometimes it is in my car when I get in.  Maybe a good psychic could fingure this one out.
I am 15 and have been experiencing the smell of cigarettes, while it seems the source is absent, on and off for three years now. Recently it has become more frequent. I have researched it and found that it could be a recurring sinus infection, a tumor of the brain, the olfactory nerve malfunctioning. or a symptom of stroke, epilepsy. or seizure. I have yet to contact an ENT or physician on the problem, but I plan on visiting one soon. I will most likely get a CT scan to make sure it isn't a brain tumor. I will post the diagnosis as soon as I get it.
I went to a neurologist for my cigarette smoke smell.  I had two EEGs done and I have "seizure activity".  He put me on Tegretol and the smoke smell, at first, went away...now I am smelling it again.  I am not quite sure that was the cure.  I may be going to an ENT soon.
I was wondering if any of you that smell this non-existent smoke have diabetes.  My Doctor said “It is likely a manifestation of peripheral neuropathy and nothing has been shown to be effective for that.”
Anyone have a comment on that?
Did you ever find out what could be causing the problem? I suffer from the same thing and it gets so bad that I feel nauseous from it. For me the smell occurs in the car, at work and in the house but if I go outside I am ok. Strange but it is driving me crazy.
I am so glad I found this link.  Thought I was going nuts but finally googled it and was surprised at how many people experience this.  I started smelling cigarette smoke about 2 weeks ago.  Was mild at first but for the past week it has been very strong and accompanied with my eyes burning.  It is so bad that it is hard to concentrate at work.  I haven't been in a smoke filled environment in years.

I do have hypothyroidism but have been on synthroid for over 10 years and have never experienced this. I also take antidepressants but have been on them for 6 years and everything is stable.  I have worn contact lenses for 25 years and never experienced a burning sensation like this.

I am not going to mess around with this and am making an appointment with my primary care physician and going from there.  I want to rule out the more serious conditions that can cause this.
I have lost my sense of smell but now I'm smelling cigarette, all the time. Also, what can I do to get my sense of smell back, it's been over a year since I can't smell. I have went to the nose doctors and they want a fortune to help me, is there any way to get a simpler or cheaper help.
i
Hi smokeless_in_seattle
I too saw the MD.'s reference to acid reflux and the possible connection to the smell of phantom smoke. We do not smoke in our home either nor are we smokers. I am the only one who can smell this constant disgusting smell of stale cigarette smoke. My family thinks Im nuts..lol.If anything, this smell is Driving me nuts.I read that you tried out his advice which worked for you. Because of your success in ridding the smoke smell thru changing you coffee and wine habits, I too would like to giveit a try. I don't drink alcohol, but enjoy my coffee each day and sometimes tea, AND, I too suffer from acid reflux. Perhaps if I make that one change, I too will be free from this smell that almost sickens me at times. I'm glad it worked for you. Wish me luck in :-)

I've had the "smell" for three years off and on.  Didn't have it at all from March to September this year, but it has kicked back in.  No idea why.  Does seem to be more present in winter, when I'm exposed to more moulds and dust indoors.  Initially I thought it was an allergic response to pecans, which I used to pour onto my breakfast. Could also be almonds.  It may be a nut thing, but I don't think so.  I describe the smell as burnt coffee and cigar stub in a barnyard.  Very earthy.  I've also wondered if it isn't a systemic fungal infection.  I'm otherwise ridiculously fit and healthy at 42.  Run triathlons, climb 6000m peaks on vacations, etc.  Minimal processed food. Lots of fresh fruit and veggies.  A nurse-friend told me that there are people who can "smell" cancer.  That scared me, but the descriptions of what that "smell" is didn't match this smell. I'm still at a loss.  I don't think it's coffee, though.  I do drink strong dark coffee every morning, but I didn't at the time it started.  That was during an 18 month period when I was drinking green tea.  It's a weird/frightening thing, but glad I'm not alone or necessarily insane.
thank-you
yup breath into the covers at night
but seems even in bitter cold air I can not escape stale cig smoke "sinuses" allergies
I started having the same symptoms 3 days ago. As I read all the previous comments, I wonder if any of you follows a gluten free diet. It would be good to know.
wow this is weird i cant believe that there are other people with the same problem. i just put this in the internet to see what would it say and to my surprise i see i am not along. it is driving me crazy for about a week now and i was thinking it was my downstairs neighbor but he moved and then i realize it wasn't him. i need help so bad have to get help cant take it much longer. it will be alot easier for me to talk to my doctor about it now that i see that it is something that others have also. thank you all for writing your post i feel i have an answer. hope everybody be able to get some relief.
I thought I was losing the plot!  I have been smelling cigarette smoke for about 2 weeks. I had a cold way back in July last year and since then I have sounded very blocked up (like I still have a cold). Over time I have lost my sense of smell and taste (I used to have a very sensitive sense of smell). Now I have started smelling smoke. I thought my sinuses were just still inflamed from the cold. I take an antihistamine daily, sinus rinse twice daily and use a steroidal nasal spray. I do have good moments where I can smell, but mostly I can't. I am really missing it!!  I do take medication for reflux and also for hyperprolacinaemia, but I have been taking those for over 5 years and everything has been fine. I am 46 years old and otherwise healthy.
I have suffered with this for almost 2 years now. I thought I was going crazy and my PCP intimated that I may have some mental health issues!!
Just last week, I had a Septoplasty & SMR Turbinate. However, I am still experiencing the smell. As I write this as a matter of fact. I am now on a steroid pack and ENT is also sending me for allergy testing.
Most of you are describing it as cigarette smoke. Not for me. I am a former smoker and can still smell a cigarette a mile away. My smokey smell is thick like having an insense burning under my nose. Sometimes I feel as though it is choking me. As another reader mentioned, if I pull my shirt up over my nose, the smell stops and I can actually smell the laundry detergent on the shirt.
What I did read of interest is the Reflux theory. I have been taking Nexium for reflux for many years now. I will mention this to my ENT. Thank You all.
If I learn something new, I will post again.
I thought it interesting that you take a nasal steroid spray. I just started experiencing the smoke smell a few days ago (Sunday) after trying to help my mom put out a grill/grease fire. It has lasted now almost a week and is driving me crazy. I called my doctor because I was put on flonase about a month ago. She told me this is a side effect and to stop the flonase immediately. Day two after stopping and I still smell smoke just as strong. Hoping the doctor is right and this goes away soon. Wondering if you found any relief? I, too, take acid reflux medication, but I didn't think there was a correlation.
I am going to try your recommendation.  This is really bothersome!  I like fresh air not smoke and dust with each breath.

Have your symptoms returned since cutting down on Coffee and other acidic drinks?
Yayyyy I am not crazy !!! Constantly I would ask my husband if he smelled the cigarette and his replied was always negative. But after reading this thread, I must write that, first I am not imagining things and second the relation to the acid reflux medications.
I did take some medication for acid reflux recently because of some antibiotics, destroying my stomach. Does anyone know why one thing can cause the other (or is related) and how to get rid of the cigarette smell?
Wow !!! I have been driving my family crazy asking them are sure you don't smell that ! I have even questioned them about smoking in the house.
I to have NEVER smoked and do not allow in the house. But for a week now I have smelling Smoke. At first it was just when I was laid down at night. I washed all bedding and CLEANED everything. Bit it got worse now I smell it all the time very strong and now it burns my nose and I can taste it !!! This is horrible, I feel like others can smell me but they say No and look at me as if I've lost it. I have had acid re flux in the past but I am not on a daily Med. My dad was a heavy smoker and passed away with complications of COPD. So this is very difficult for me  
I have an observation that I think may be very IMPORTANT to many of us.  I also have had these phantom fumes and smells for over five months...and they have ranged from sickly sweet/ moldy to pungent chemical and diesel fuel/kerosene- like in odor.  Many times I have had these smells early upon waking , but the worst times have been middle of the night, where they would wake me up with a sickening start!  I had felt all along that we had mold issues in our HVAC, and over the months had an entirely new system installed, inside and out, with new ductwork, etc.  We even added the UV light, and had a major cleaning done...we are in an almost brand new home...   Guess what....the smell came back just as before.  About two weeks ago, doing research on these fumes and moldy sickening odors...I stumbled across several blogs and sites describing Phantosmia.  WOW!  A frightening realization slowly overcame me...that it has all been internal...and not external at all.  No one else ever smells the odors that I have complained about, of course.  So, the other night, to test my theory, I went to bed, and upon waking up early in the morning...checked to see if I could smell the "fumes"....  Slightly, but not overwhelming.  THEN, I made a slight depression in my pillow, and breathed into it four or five times without using my nose to breathe in...I then smelled the area slowly...and WOW!  Overpowering fumes there in the pillow...exactly of the same scent as the diesel and sickening sweet moldy smells I have had over many months.  

Here is my major take away from this  (and of course I did this little experiment about 20 times, to make sure the odor was coming OUT OF ME)........that we may not all be 'hallucinating odors' , or having some other worldly sensing type of wierd experience...but we may actually be smelling a very strange odor from our own breath!!!  Maybe coming from lungs...or abdominal/gastric areas, or sinuses.    I remember times my wife would occasionally have 'acetone' breath in the morning, and I would be amazed at how it smelled just like nail polish remover...exactly.  She could breathe at me, and it would be pure acetone. It only happened four or five times over the years. We looked it up and found this is common and is explained in medical literature as a known breath abberation.

So this leads me to this conclusion...we may ALSO be 'manufacturing' the odor that we frequently smell, and we may smell and percieve different versions of the odor, depending on our internal bodily conditions.  I do NOT know what may be producing the odor...but I do believe it is real...and we are highly sensitive to smelling it.  Try the pillow test next time you wake up to the nasty fumes.....breathe a bit of your own breath back in...and see if it is very strong and more intense.  I also had several moderate head bump situatiuons in the past year....sports related, which many claim can cause phantosmia....but I also have frequent sinus allergies  (not infection)...and this has also been implicated in the medical sites.   So, let's see if anyone else out there can determine whether their phantom smells and fumes are being 'imagined'/ hallucinated......OR rather being just plain produced by our bodies...and sensed very acutely when we breathe it in.  That is likely why it comes and goes randomly...depending on our day to day physical condition.  

I think that if people can develop 'acetone' breath, as my wife has in the past, and that itself is a very noxious smell....and is accepted as being caused by metabolic changes in an individual....then we may be producing a breath scent in a very similar manner.  We may just smell and taste our own noxious scent being produced for some unknown reason!!!!  The smell that I breathed into my pillow was the EXACT fume smell, times ten!!!  It comes from inside of ME!!!
I too have been smelling phantom cigarette smoke for the past six months.  Sometimes it is so strong that I cough and feel like I cannot breathe.  My husband nor I smoke.  We live in a new home where no one has ever smoked.  I am not around anyone who smokes.  I smell this phantom smoke everywhere I go.  It even wakes me from sleep.  I mentioned it to my pcp and he just made the comment that it was weird and left it at that.  A couple of months later, I mentioned it to my rheumatologist. He told me to schedule an appointment with a neurologist immediately.  I asked why the urgency and he explained that it could be just an olfactory hallucination or it could be something very serious.  I made the appointment with the neurologist who put me through a series of tests and this is what I found out.  The phantom smells I am having are actually seizures caused by a benign brain tumor called a meningioma. The meningioma is a tumor on the lining of the brain and spinal cord which contains 3 layers.  It is on the underside of my brain where the brain meets the stem/spinal cord.  The meningioma is pressing on the part of my brain that controls smell and taste.  I go back to the neurologist in Feb to discuss what comes next as far as treatment goes.  I don't know how large the tumor is and that will determine what treatment is required.  Even though the tumor is benign, it could possibly still be large and/or fast growing which can be fatal. It could also be small and/or slow growing which could require having an MRI every 3 months and just watching it. Other  treatments include surgery (if the tumor is accessible) and radiation which will make your hair fall out. I don't want to scare anyone, but I feel that if you are experiencing phantom smells, you should go to the doctor and get checked out to make sure it's not something serious.  My neurologist fussed at me for waiting so long to come see him and I've only been experiencing this for 6 months and it took me two months to get an appointment with him because he's the BEST in my area. I hope my post helps someone.  
Have you had an MRI?
my wife has the same problem...she just took 2 antacid pills - and it WENT AWAY!! TRY IT!  :)
Wow, I cant believe I'm not the only one with this phantom smoke smell. I've been smelling dirty ashtray on and off for a few years now. The first time I experienced it was after being around second hand smoke. I thought the smoke was stuck on my nose hairs and in my hair, but I smelt dirty ashtray on and off for weeks afterwards. I'll go months without smelling it, but then it comes back. It seems to be triggered by smelling second hand smoke and sometimes camp fire. I wake up not smelling it, but then it gradually creeps back, usually in the afternoon. Smelling Vicks is a temporary relief, and cupping my hand over my nose and mouth and breathing that way.
I have been experiencing this smoke smelling phenom since November or December of 2014. I have always had a heightened sense of smell but now can only smell cigarette smoke.  Thank you for your post. I am going to skip visiting my PCP and head straight to a neurologist.   I really don't think I'm going to waste anytime trying to self diagnose. Thanks again.
Like everyone else, I'm so happy to have found this forum; to discover others with this same condition. The smell in my nose is that of a very smoky but stale cigarette smoke smell. I've smelled this off and on over the years, but only for very short periods and I never thought to look it up. Currently I've smelled it for 2 weeks, which is the longest I can remember. I also have a weird, heavy feeling in the back of my throat and chest, like I'm full of something, like, well, smoke! I have always had sinus issues, and in the last year developed acid reflux. I'm super stressed and very tired, but have been for several years and this is the first reoccurrence I've had in any years (that I can remember). I drink 2 mugs of coffee every day but used to drink more. I haven't smoked in 14 years. I don't drink much but I just realized I did have a glass of wine 2 weeks ago...plus I ate shrimp. Those are the only things I can think of that are out of the ordinary for my life lately.
Kaydi35, please let us know what the neurologist says about your tumor and how you're doing. Thank you for sharing your story!
I just started smelling cigarette smoke since January 28, 2015. I am very tired of smelling it. It comes and goes. Nothing has changed in my life except I lost my Grandmother on January 10th and I lost a dog that I was very close on January 26th. That is when the smoke started and I have been tracking it and putting on a notepad in my phone. Sometimes I will have it for a few days and it be gone a week and then come back. It really feels like i stink like cigarette smoke or my face is in an ashtray. This smell is worse than standing next to someone that smokes, its so much stronger and I really need a group I can belong to and people that don't think I am crazy. Any suggestions would be helpful. I have never experienced anything like this in my life. It's so weird and I'm so done with smelling smoke but life shall go on.
Oh my... I thought I was loosing my mind. I stopped smoking 25 years ago. Over this past year, on and off, I have been having the smell of an ashtray stuck in my nose. I smell it in the car, in my house...everywhere. It is driving me crazy. I did have a sinus infection recently but during that time I didn't have the smell issue.  What the hell is this?
JaWiem in Jan 2015 said his wife took 2 antacids and the smell went away. I took one and nothing changed, but then I started taking 2 every morning and it really has helped a lot. It comes back every now and then, but it used to be constant, and if I'm taking the antacids it only happens for a brief moment maybe once a week or every two weeks. For me it must be reflux related, which makes some sense since the smell started when my stress got really bad. Try the antacids - take 2!
I have been suffering from this for over 3 years now and nobody can tell me what it is. At first all I could smell is smoke and now the smell has changed but I can't explain what it smells like. I've noticed when I don't eat right and don't drink enough water it gets really bad to the point where I'm nauseous. I have also noticed it isn't as bad when I give up the coffee.
This all started when my doctor put me on antidepressants. I had never suffered from anything until then and now I have this and also tinnitus, constant ringing in my ear. I stopped taking the antidepressants years ago but the symptoms are still there. I'm annoyed at my doctor for prescribing them and at me for taking them.
I started smelling cigarette smoke for about 2 mos now. Started to happen after I got home from work,however my husband doesn't smoke and neither do I.  Since it's just us at home I thought it was odd Iask my husband why the house smelled like smoke but he doesn't smell it. I have a 7 year old grand daughter and she says she doesn't smell it either. At times its so strong feels like I have trouble breathing. At first I thought it was somebody has been in the house smokeing when we were not home but we have an alarm system no sign anyone has been there.  My husband thinks I'm losing it. Maybe so! But I am convienced there is another reason for this.  about 3 years ago I lost my sense of taste and smell, gradually it has stared to come back but not the same at it was. I begin to think it was a ghost of my brother that smoked alot, He passed about 2 years ago but we were never close. I know that is crazy thinking but it gets disturbing when you are the only one that smells it. I also have a constant hissing in my ears that started about 7 yrs ago that is getting louder as time goes by.  I used to only hear it when I got still not I hear it all the time. I have a fear of doctors so I haven't been checked but otherwise I'm healthy. I just wish I knew what was causing this smell. because now I'm smelling it 90 % of my day. Hope someone has an answer.
Do you consume dairy products? I had this situation on and off for about 7 years. Up until recently, I didn't have the problem for a long time. I started using butter (grass fed in this instance) more often since I heard it's got some vitamin k2 in it. I started getting the smoke smell in my head again. At first I had no idea what it was. One day I solved the correlation when I had buttered toast in the morning and then put a healthy amount on my rice at lunch. The smoke smell was very dominant later that day and into the next morning. Bingo! I stopped using butter and the smoke smell disappeared. It's been around 3 weeks and still no smoke smell. I even use butter every now and again with no adverse effects. I guess I have an intolerance to butter, but I'm not super sensitive. I'm also not lactose intolerant in the classic sense. I hope this helps in your situation!
I have been smelling smoke on and off for about a month or so.  Sure is weird, no?  I don't like it, but it is tolerable. I finally decided to look it up, and feel relieved that others have this same experience.  I guess I'm writing to not feel alone in this.  I will be contacting my doc and perhaps seeing an ENT specialist.  I will post the results.  
The ashtray smell in my nose started about 3 years ago.  It would happen every few months and last for a week or so.  Having been clear for over a year, I thought it had gone for good.  But not so.  It started again a few days ago and is really strong at the moment.  Horrible.  I'm hoping it follows the usual pattern and stops soon.  I live on my own in a detached house and have never smoked.  I'm not on any medication (never have been) and do not have any allergies!  It does not happen before or after illnesses.  I feel well!
After using Flonase for 4 days I realized I had lost much of my sense of smell.  I am using a lot more spices because my sense of taste is altered also.  I quit the Flonase about 3 months ago but I likewise smell smoke quite frequently.  It is in my house, in my car, in restaurants, and doctor's offices but never outside.  It feels like I am gagging on the smoke but no one else smells it.  Very frustrating.
Has this stopped?  Please email me at ***@****
The local mobsters sometimes place baseball - sized dark brown puffball mushrooms in my yard. Got a fresh attack of the 'cigarette smell' (cited here) a couple days after using a leaf blower to push the latest mushroom into the garden waste recycle pile. I'll be surprised if my symptom is not related to a fungal sinus infection.
I flushed my nasal passages with a 1/16 solution of boric acid and distilled water yesterday afternoon. Smoke symptom disappeared and normal olifactory function restored. Nose is now working normally for the last 17 hours. Next time, I'll use a respirator when blowing leaves and mushrooms off my lawn.  --Len
Did you get the results and a cure
Did you get test results and advice
Can you explain further how you flushed out I'm suffering really badly and can cry most night it's getting me down had it after a recent cold used sinus tablets throat lozenges and anti acid chews seems worse when sitting or getting to sleep.im out of the U.K. So can't get to my gp.CAN YOU PLEASE HELP
"Did you get test results and advice"

I did not even bother to ask a medical professional about this symptom. I saw from the responses here that medical professionals appeared unable to approach these symptoms scientifically and instead fell back on some useless 'woo-woo' advice including a (not making this up) psychological referral.
I am not a medical professional and I do not advise anybody to do anything except seek the counsel of a qualified doctor.

Here is what I did.
I had some boric acid powder in stock, so I mixed it with warm distilled water in a ratio of about 16 parts water to one part boric acid. I bent sideways over my bathroom basin in the same position one takes when using a neti pot.
I poured the solution into one nostril and it drained out the other nostril. I then reversed position so that the 'input' nostril became the 'output' nostril and flushed again. It worked a treat and I've been without symptoms for the last week or so. I was delighted that my chronic post-nasal drip disappeared instantly as well.
"Another thing that I've noticed is that if I place pressure on my cheeks on either side of the nostrils, using my fingers, as if to widen the nose, the smell goes away." Thank you for that tip, skypster. Closing off the nasal connection to the sinuses in that way was the key. That led me to cure my symptoms by flushing with a boric acid solution and I am free of symptoms for the first time in years.
That worked for about a week and then the smell was back with a vengeance.  I dissolved about 2 ml of tolnaftate 1% cream in about 100 ml of warmed deionized water and flushed my nasal passages a couple days ago. Wow! I could actually feel it zoom into all my sinuses and the 'cigarette smell' is gone again.
--Len
I started smelling smoke pretty much right after I received anesthesia.
I hope this is helpful.
I have been smelling cigarette smoke for the past week, and it has become extremely frustrating as I only have moments of normal smells.  At first I thought it was from smells inside of my home, but then today when I went shopping in the store, I was smelling it there.   I could understand if I was only smelling this inside of my home, then I could ignore the symptoms.  The only time I do not smell this is when I am outside and can breathe fresh air.  In a confined (enclosed) area, the smell is so bad, that I dread being inside of my home.  I've read many comments from people who are suffering from this strange ailment which seems to be rare.  

I have considered seeking medical attention as no one else smells this inside of my home.  So no one smells it inside of my home, and I do.  Doesn't matter what enclosed area I am in I smell it.  
Hi all!!! I may have found a solution! Ok so very quick backstory: Last year I was pregnant and horrifically sick with an undiagnosed sinus infection for 7 months, coughed like emphysema and had the smell of smoke/burning, the sinus infection finally got the right antibiotic thanks to a nasal swab which none of the other 4 doctors or 2 ER visits thought to do.  The smell continued though for the next few months but less.  I remember reading here about covering with hands or sheet and it would stop it and that helped me fall asleep.  It had been gone for about 9 months and about 10 days ago came back, I noticed I was having just a little nasal congestion but nothing to speak of.. I have also been a practicing Acupuncturist and Health Counselor for 20 years.  2 nights ago it was so bad it started giving me an anxiety attack.  In the morning I added about 3.5 ml of Colloidal Silver to a nebulizer, available at any healthfood store.  This one was 30 ppm.  Almost immediately it began to get better, I did one more last night and 1 this morning and it is 90% better.  Colloidal silver is anti-viral and anti-bacterial and completely safe to nebulize in the short term.  I believe I had a low level infection brewing and that's what was causing it for me.  There is also a product by Nature's Rite caused Respiratory Relief it is just colloidal silver plus a drop of peppermint I have used this with asthma patients with great success you could nebulize this instead and get the same results.  Colloidal Silver comes in different parts per million.  So you want about 130 mcg per treatment to match the Nature's Rite product.  so mine was 30 ppm and I used 3.5 ml so 3.5x 30 so my dose was about 105 mcg and worked.  If you decide to try it, post back here I really hope you find relief this is such a wretched thing that no one could help with!  Best wishes!!
First of all let me say that I am a physician, and as such realize things can be coincidental or anecdotal and not necessarily causal. I had experienced a strong cigarette smell in the middle of the night for about a week when none of us smoke and shortly after that began to lose my sense of smell, something called anosmia. I have been using generic Flonase for several months and understand this can cause anosmia over time which may be permanent. I also have been on several antibiotics for a horrible chain of illnesses starting with augmentin for a cold followed up by Flagyl for a secondary c-diff enterocolitis, followed by Tamiflu for influenza A all within the past six weeks. I noticed about 3 weeks ago that I was not able to smell my unpleasant morning breath and I guess that was the tip-off. I've been losing significant weight recently which I felt was due to loss of appetite due to these illnesses but now I suspect it's loss of interest in food do to anosmiai. I guess this is a good thing in a way as I was somewhat overweight and look great now, but I was what you would consider a foodie and really enjoyed and appreciated exotic flavors, which hold little interest for me now. Anyway I guess that is off subject but I am wondering if the sense of cigarette smoke smell was a Prelude to potential nerve damage in the olfactory bulb and subsequent loss of smell