Allergy Community
hair dye allergy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

hair dye allergy

i dyed my hair with a henna permanant hair on sunday and after 2 hours my neck started ichting the next few hrs it had blisspread on my ears an scalp blistered and now is weeping i have been the doctors and been giving fexofenadine hydrochloride 180mg one a day but my scalp is still weeping and am not sure what to wash my hair with can u please help.
Hi, your symptoms are suggestive of allergic or contact dermatitis, secondary to exposure to allergen and mediated by IgE antibodies. Your body is known to hypersensitive to certain things.  Hair dye is known to contain certain chemicals which can induce allergic reaction in some individuals.

You should prevent further exposure to such hair dye in the future. You can try anti histaminics and moderate potency corticosteroids against prescription. I suggest you to consult skin specialist. Take care and regards.

U HIT THE JACKPOT....THIS KEEPS HAPPENING TO ME, I ENDED UP IN THE ER.  THE ONLYYYYYY PRODUCT THAT HELPED ME IS A PRESCRIBED CREAM CALLED TRIAMCINOLONE ACETONIDE CREAM  USP, 0.5%.  I'VE TRIED THE "ZIP PACK" STEROIDS ETC, THEY THINNED MY HAIR BAD.  
HOWEVER, I HAVEN'T FOUND A PPD FREE SEMI-PERM COLOR THAT WORKS.  I RELAX MY HAIR. I JUS COLORED WITH MY STYLIST LAST EVE. AND I HAVE TERRIBLE SWELLING OF MY SCALP, INTO MY FOREHEAD, EYEBROWS, NECK ETC.
IF YOU'VE DISC. A SEMI-PERM COLOR PPD FREE FOR RELAXED HAIR.........PLEASE LET ME KNOW!
Hi! I have the same problem. If you go to a beauty supply store they sell the clariolbeautiful collection in a bronzish brown bottle. It's semi permanant and hasn't given me a reaction. Also the ion semi permanent dyes in a purple bottle works as well. They are both fine to use on relaxed hair, especially the Clairol beautiful collection  All other dyes give me a extremely bad reaction!
You can try Beautiful Collections by Clairol...it has no PPD, ammonia, or Peroxide. Semi Permanent, make sure you get it a Beauty Supply and the plastic bottle is brown NOT silver. The silver one has PPD. Michelle : )
Hi Lisa, I'm no sorry this happened to you. I also relax my hair and developed an allergy to PPD's. You can color your hair immediately after a relaxer if you use Sebastian Cellophanes. They only add color, you cannot lighten the hair. Cellophanes is completely PPD free and it is not mixed with developer (peroxide). Although the directions say to apply to 75% dry hair after being washed, do not let your hair be that dry. It makes the color harder to apply. Make sure you put some type of pomade around your hairline because it stains terribly. Otherwise, it works very well and also covers gray. Wash your hair with a sulfate free shampoo and condition and style as usual. Good luck.