Allergy Community
is penicillin or sulfa in clindamycin?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

is penicillin or sulfa in clindamycin?

I'm allergic to penicillin and sulfa. Dentist prescribed Clindamycin 150 mg for 10 days for infection in my tooth. Got hives, rash, swollen lips and extreme itching and blotches from head to toe. Was on vacation so stopped medication after 3 days of taking it. It is now 5 days taking benadryl and the hives and itching have not stopped. What is in the clindamycin that I may be allergic to?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Clindamycin which is clindamycin hydrochloride is unlikely to have cross reactions with penicillin or sulfa group of medications. Sometimes the inactive ingredients in the medications can cause an allergic reaction.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
OMG- this is EXACTLY what I am going through currently after taking only two pills!  No available alternatives to treat the infection have been suggested as my reactions previously have included Amoxicillin, Erythromycin, Clindamycin, and any sulfa based meds.  Does anyone know what my Dentist should be suggesting as options...I'm having a root canal tomorrow too... HELP?