Allergy Community
lump in throat : could be allergy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

lump in throat : could be allergy?

hi.

I write here because I am really looking for an answer to a medical problem I have for the last 2 months. The trouble in mainly a lump in my throat. It would not be a big deal if it was not for the fact that everytime I eat something that is not totally smooth I feel like it stays in my throat (I am eating baby food for the last days...). I dont choke but I can not stand this "food in the throat feeling")
I dont have any other symptom except a shortness of breath that seems to be under control with asthma medication.
General practionners told me this could be allergies, reflux, cervical problems, stress... I have to say I am going to see an ENT doctor next week to have more extensive testing (like looking down my throat) since for now I just had :
ecg : normal
chest Xray : normal
blood work : normal
baryum swallow : normal

I have known allergies to dust mites, molds, pollens, etc.

I tried clarithin, nasonex and atrovent but nothing of this helped with the lump. (I posted in the ENT section about it)

I am wondering (this is my question, finally!) if an allergy can present itself with only a lump in throat feeling. I have to say that I am doubtfull that this could be an allergy since I have no sneezing, no eye problems, my nose feels really good (when I have pollen or cat allergy it is totally stuff). Could it be sinusitis? (I dont have any headache).

So basically my question is : could it still be an allergy?

Well it would be best if you could post us about what the ENT specialist advises after a clinical examination.

Till then, it would help if you could elaborate on your symptoms.

Has a CT scan of your sinuses been done? What other symptoms do you have ?

Do you have any breathing difficulty or difficulty in swallowing?

Do let us know the above details so that we may be able to help you.

Regards.
I have GERD (reflux) and often have that "lump in  my throat" feeling - I take over the counter (Pepsid) meds to control it. When this first happened, I also had a scan of my thyroid and was found to have GRAVES disease - my thyroid has since been "disabled" and I take meds for that as well - but I still have the lump in the throat feeling when the reflux is happening. I actually had a few years go by where it wasn't a problem - then, I quit taking meds regularly and it's back - live and learn!
I am not able to go to a dr. currently due to no insurance and free clinic is booked for months. Can't afford another emergency visit. So, I wonder how I might consider it gerd if pepcid, etc. doesn't have any affect of change on it.  I have previously had several medical issues and can't pinpoint which one or if any are possible causes. Any ideas on how else to figure it out?