my baby's reaction to amoxicillin
My ten month old has had the flu this week and was previously treated for an ear in fection last week with amoxicillin.  After taking it for ten days he woke up today with a horrible break out all over his little face and body.  After meeting our doctor at the office on a sat, he seemed to think it was a reaction.  We have one dose of benydryl in, but it has actually worsened and spread since this afternnon.  It looks horrific!  Are there any serious concerns I should have now or does it just look awful until it clears up?
My son is 11 months old.  He had an ear infection and was put on amoxicillin 8 days ago.  Yesterday he woke up with little spots everywhere on his body.  He wasn't itchy and he was actually happy.  
I took him to his doctor and she said that it was a viral infection and that it just has to run it's course.  She said no benedryl but stop the amox because his ear infection was gone.  All day yesterday he was getting more and more red dots, soon his face was almost fully covered by them along with his body and a lot on his back.  He started crying a lot and it was really hard for him to sleep.  This morning we went back to the doctor because he became very itchy and he was scratching and rubbing his feet together.  The spots got bigger and spread out more.  This time we saw the same doctor and she said that it was looking more like a penicillin reaction.  She perscribed XYZAL and Zyrtec for the night time.  After the first dose of XYZAL he seemed to be a little more playful and actually let me put him down.  His dots seem to be getting lighter on his back but still pretty red on his face.  Does anybody know how long this should last for?  How long will he be itchy for? When will the rash go away?
My daughter is 11 m.o.  She has had two ear infections, with the first being treated by amoxicillin, for 10 days, about a month ago or so.  No problems.  She was again put on amoxicillin, approximately a week ago.  She woke up yesterday morning with a 103 degree fever, which fluctuated from 101-104 throughout the day (when she didn't have Motrin in her).  Not knowing anything, I gave her her dose of amox yesterday morning.  She was pretty lethargic all day and slept most of it.  I gave her a dose of Infant Motrin in the early afternoon.  Called the dr. about 3 and they wanted to see her around 5.  By the time I got to the dr., she had some red, hivish spots, but very mild.  They said it was most likely an amox allergy and to stop that (ear fine).  I was torn between that and whether or not she might be having a reaction to Motrin (as she had never had that before yesterday).  By evening her eyes were swelling shut and spots were everywhere...not just "spots", but welts.  I have been giving her Benadryl, which they said to do.  I'm just wondering how much worse this can expect to get before it gets better?  Also, I placed a call to the dr. in the early evening with my concerns, and he wasn't too sympathetic.  Thanks for any input.  
My 2 years old son had a fever for few days. I was giving him tylonel and it was working fine in reducing it. After 3-4 days i took him to have him checked by his doc. I was told he has ear infection and was given 400 mg amoxicillin 1 teaspoon (5ml) every 12 hours. After 2 days my son started vommiting and on the 3rd day he looked as if he is drunk. He cannot walk in balance and unable to sleep. I stopped the amoxicillin and called the doctor. He said he was not sure what is going on. I suspected the amoxicillin and the dose. I told him that. He checked my son's ears and said they look fine, so I can stop the amoxicillin. However regarding the balance, ( I mean he walks worse than the first day he started walking when he was 11 months old. He cannot even stand up without loosing his balance.) The doctor told me to wait 2-3 days and see if he gets better. Any ideas, did this happened to any of your kids before? please answer.
My 2 year old son was taking amoxicillin for strep throat about a month ago and the rash started on the back of his neck.  I didn't think anything of it until he started having a fever of 103 to go with it.  I just thought the rash was from a new laundry detergent that I started using a day before, but he wasn't getting any better so I took him to his doctor.   And thank god I did because it turned out he was having a really bad reaction to the medicine.  He had what looked like a map of hives all over his body; they all connected.  He had little red dots on his face, the tip of his nose was slightly swollen and his left ear was red and swollen.  His doctor just had to take one look at him and she knew he was allergic.  They immediately gave him some benedryl and the doctor gave me a prescription for prednisolone to counteract the reaction.  After about the second day of giving him the prescription and benedryl every 6 hours, he was back to normal.  The doctor told me to watch out for throat and/or tongue swelling and to take him to the ER if that happened, but it never did.  Scary times!

I found this on a web site, hope it helps as i have had the same problem with my 8month old son...............

Your question brings up several important points about penicillin allergy. However, let me take this opportunity to discuss antibiotic allergy in general, as there can really be a lot of confusion around this issue. Many parents seem to think that any reaction to an antibiotic is allergic. However it is important to realize that there is a difference between a true allergic reaction and a side effect of the medication itself. Antibiotics, as all other medications, have potential effects; both helpful ones like fighting off bacteria and unwanted "side effects". We know that certain antibiotics tend to cause more vomiting, abdominal discomfort and diarrhea than others. So when a parent reports that a child has had such symptoms, we recognize this is a side effect of the medication and not an allergic reaction. This distinction is important as we do not want to falsely label a child as being allergic to penicillin when truly he or she is not.

An allergy develops when a person's body has a bad reaction to a particular substance or product, such as penicillin. Allergic reactions to medications usually have very specific symptoms including: an itchy rash or urticaria, swelling of the throat/mouth area and difficulty breathing. Also, very rarely, allergic reactions to medications, including penicillin, can be potentially life threatening. There are also different types of allergic reactions. Some that occur right away and others that appear several days after starting the antibiotic or even within a week after stopping it. In any case, my point is that there is an important difference between a side effect and an allergic reaction. How does one confirm a penicillin allergy? By allergy (skin) testing to penicillin, the only antibiotic we can actually test for. If a child tests positive, then he or she is considered allergic to penicillin and should not be given penicillin the future. If the test is negative the child is not penicillin allergic.

Penicillin is a beta-lactam antibiotic while, amoxicillin is an amino-penicillin. In other words, it is a modified form of penicillin. It is a beta-lactam molecule with another(amino)molecule stuck onto it. It is not uncommon for children to react to the amino part of the amoxicillin molecule and not the penicillin (beta-lactam) part. So these children, although have had a reaction to amoxicillin, technically are not allergic to the penicillin molecule. They had an allergic reaction to the "non-penicillin portion" of the amoxicillin molecule. In this case, just like with your son, the penicillin allergy test is negative. So in the future, penicillin can be given to your son, but not amoxicillin.

On a final note, if there is a doubt about a penicillin allergy, it should be verified one way or the other. This clarification will be extremely helpful in deciding which antibiotic to use in case a future need arises.
My six year old had a pretty severe Penicillin allergy 2 weeks ago which included him taking Prednesterone and Atarax (steroids and prescription anti-hist). Although he's been back to his normal routine, he complains of joint pain in his knees and elbows and wrists. He still gets a bit splotchy and itchy when he's running around. Could this still be a reaction to the penicillin? How long does this medicine stay in his system?
I agree that mainstream medecine sometimes causes more problems than what they fix, but before you take your child off of antibiotics on your own, consult a homeopath in your area.  Even some homeopaths prescribe antibiotics in stubborn cases.  I find homeopathics work best when prescribed by a homeopathic doctor and given early on in the illness.  Illnesses that are further along are harder to treat.  As far as diaper rashes and diarreaha developing, this is because antibiotics not only kill bad bacteria, they kill the "good" bacteria in your digestive tract as well.  I find taking probiotics helpful during and after exposure to antibiotics.  You can even buy probiotics in local drug stores.  Hope this helps!
my 9 month old daughter had been put on amoxicillin for a sinus infection.. when we first started giving the antibiotic, she was fine up unt after 2 weeks then one day I noticed what looked like tons of mosquito bites all over her leg.  couple days later, when I came home from work, she had a red & white welts all over her arms & they were quickly spreading onto her chest & back & up her neck.  I paniced & took her to the er & the doc said it was hives.  they gave her benadryl & I've been giving it for about almost 3 days but sometimes I feel the benadryl makes it swell up & seem worse.  I feel so bad for her... the hives get better then worse the better then worse.  I just wish it would go away!!!!  does anyone else seem to notice that benadryl makes the hives seem to act up in their child?
i just started amoxicillan for my 10 month old daughter for an infection.  reading all these posts i'm starting to worry i'll have to take a trip to the er myself......  i am allergic to penicillan but my husband is not.  i guess i'm just wondering if there are any parents out there whose younger kids haven't had a reaction to anything penicillan?  and why do they prescribe it if it causes so many reactions?  and is there anyone who had a reaction right after starting doses?
My daughter is 10 months old. She went to the doctor a week ago yest. and had an ear infection. She was put on Amoxacillin. This morning we woke up and she has bright red bumps all over her legs and arms. At first I thought of Chicken Pox but all the pictures on the internet didnt look like what she had. I myself am allergic to Amoxicillin so I started looking that up. She has taken it before with no problems. Im going to stop giving her the medicine and try benadryl. It scared me really bad this morning but reading everyones posts made me feel much better.
•••Take your baby to the doctor••••
I went online and found this article that calmed my anxiety: (article after my experience)
My experience::
Hi there, my One year old was treated for an ear infection with Amoxicillin, 10 days after the first dose, I noticed red bumps all over his body, head to toe. Took him to the pediatrician and he said it was an allergic reaction to the antiboitic. Since he didn't have a fever and was his normal self (eating right, palying, happy baby) he told me it wasn't serious, he told to use more moisturizer on him and no prescriptions necessary. After a warm bath I put Desitin and some comfy pjs and the next morning noticed he seemed better.
Article:
Amoxicillin Rash Treatment
A compilation of notes on Amoxicillin and its side effects. This article mainly focuses on causes, symptoms and Amoxicillin rash treatment.
Amoxicillin Rash Treatment
Amoxicillin is an antibiotic prescribed to deal with infectious bacteria. This drug is popular among medical practitioners, as it is easily absorbed by the body, especially if administered orally. Amoxicillin belongs to class of penicillin antibiotics. It is usually used to treat ear infections, throat infections, bladder infections and also some sexually transmitted diseases. Like all antibiotics, there are some side-effects that come along with Amoxicillin. Not all of these are worrisome, but there are others which require immediate medical help. Amoxicillin rash, however, is not very serious unless there are some other grave accompanying complications, therefore, Amoxicillin rash treatment is very simple.

Causes of Amoxicillin Rash
Rash from Amoxicillin is also described as maculopapular or morbilliform. This measles like rash is a reaction to the drug. It can be an idiosyncratic reaction, or it maybe a pre-cursor of a serious anaphylactic reaction. The duration of Amoxicillin rash is about 3 to 6 days, while the rash appears after 72 hours of taking the drug. In most cases, it only lasts for three days and is not contagious. Read more on common skin rashes.

Symptoms of Amoxicillin Rash
An Amoxicillin skin rash usually starts from the abdomen, covers the back, and sometimes spreads to the arms, legs and the face and appears as small flat spots which are usually red or dark pink in color. A non-allergic Amoxicillin rash in children and adults does not itch. Almost 10% of children taking Amoxicillin can develop an itchy rash which may result in blisters, where as, a non-allergic rash doesn't cause itching and therefore, no blisters. A majority of patients that have Epstein Barr virus infection develop a non allergic reaction to Amoxicillin rash treatment. A person suffering from Amoxicillin rash may experience nausea, vomiting, watery or bloody diarrhea, but dizziness and heart burn are most common. Fever, chills, headaches, body ache or flu like symptoms may also appear. Some people may experience vaginal yeast infection or yeast infection of the mouth. Seizures are another serious accompanying side effect that need immediate attention. It may lead to a hairy or black tongue, and swelling or hives can occur in serious cases.

Treatment for Amoxicillin Rash
Amoxicillin rash treatment is very basic, in fact, in most cases, no treatment is needed for this rash. If no other complications occur, the rash disappears just as quickly as it appears. For a soothing effect on the rashes, try an oatmeal bath or any anti-itch pill can also help to ease the itching. Flushing out toxins by drinking lots of water can help the patient recover faster. If someone develops a rash after taking an antibiotic, it is usually an allergic reaction to the medicine, so it's best to inform your physician about your allergies so that you can be prescribed something your body is not allergic to. In mild cases, one doesn't need to discontinue the medication as the rashes are self eliminating, but in cases where the rashes are itchy and last long, it is best to avoid the medication, and ask your physician to substitute it. More on allergy relief.

Precautions for Amoxicillin Rash
Do inform your doctor if you are suffering from a kidney disease or are breast feeding your baby as Amoxicillin is passed in breast milk. Amoxicillin also makes birth control pills less effective. If bloody or watery diarrhea develops, it maybe a sign of a new infection, so inform your doctor. If the skin rashes in children due to Amoxicillin are accompanied by breathing difficulty, get immediate medical attention, or also if the rashes become raised or turn into hives. People who are allergic to Amoxicillin are also allergic to medicines containing penicillin, so here again, informing your doctor beforehand would be the right thing to do. Hence, a rash from Amoxicillin lasting for more than a week is a warning sign. Another red flag is breathing difficulty, so, if it appears it is advisable to immediately consult your general physician.

Now that you are equipped with the basics about the allergic reaction that Amoxicillin can cause, rest assured that you will handle Amoxicillin rash treatment with the desired amount of care and seriousness, especially when it comes to children, now that you can identify the real warning signs. If you are one of those lucky few who doesn't have an adverse reaction to antibiotics, then have no fear!

Umm hey everyone,

I know these posts have been dead for a while, but I need help.
I'm sort of desperate. =(

I realize that most of this conversation is related to infants and young children, however, I am 18 years old. I began taking penicillin for strep throat around 11 days ago, but didn't establish a rash until just three days ago. I went to the doctor, to make sure it wasn't serious. He said I'd be fine, but to quit taking the meds. The rash seems to be steadily getting worse... Initially I had red bumps on my neck, and collarbone area, it spread to my back, face, arms, stomach, and legs and scalp. Even on my eyelids, and ears. It is severely uncomfortable, but that is not the only problem. I hate to sound vain, but I am in grade 12, and I have my final graduation in a week. I really don't want to look like this on the biggest day of my life so far. =(

If anyone has any advice on how to speed up the healing process, or reassurance on the healing time, please help me.

Thanks so much =)
I had the same situation with my 10 month old baby. They told me it was a viral infection . I had to let it take its course. I do have to ask if you have tried Aquaphor on your face. his is like a vaseline ointment . That help my daughter with her rash on her face. I really cant tell you how long it last because my daughter has been going on with this rash for a week an a half now.  I know that the aquaphor has definitely helped her face heal. Her face was the worse because she had access to it. The rest of her body was covered.   I was told my daughter had a viral infection a reaction from her ear infection. I still think it was the antibiotic.  I also did take her off of it.  For the person that commented on bad parenting for taking the kids off a medication, you are wrong and I hope you have kids to be commenting on this subject.  If something is harming your kid and your gut tells you is the medication , I am stopping it regardless of what the doctors says.  This is what parents do, care worry and take care of their kids.  To each is own.
My son Dakota is one, on may 5, I took him to get 3 shots, mmr, flu, and chicken pox. On June 3, I took him for em. Appt. for high fever n cold, found out he had ear infection in both ears and sore throat. He has never been sick prior with anything ever. After being given amoxicillin, i noticed red rash on face, then on arms. I used Benedryl but not much better, the more doses I give him of amoxicillin he receives the worse the rash multiplies. I am sacred to stop in fear of him suffering like before but something is obviously wrong. The rash is only on arms, legs, face. It is a cross between chicken pox n hand mouth n foot disease. No sores or puss or itching. No one else whose come n contact with him has it. He is happy! I'm stumped but next em. Appt. available is for 6/14/10. If he starts to fret I'm headed to er but I've since stopped the meds. Is it possible to get disease from vaccination? Can an allergic reaction be resemble something other than hives? Is it possible the combination of all there meds r given so close together? My baby stays home with me n only interacts with teen siblings, not even other kids. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
I just wanted to follow up with you guys about what happened when I took my son to the hospital. His pediatrician told me it was due to a common skin virus. However, I must say I disagree with her on many levels. First, I think an allergy test should have been done, regardless of her opinion of it being harmless. Secondly, if I hadn't had pictures, she had planned on guessing from pictures in a book she had. I had to insist he never be given the medication again. I think parents should use their own common sense. She tried to explain how it was contagious but we didn't get it. Then she said it was because only babies get it. All I know is when I stopped the medication, the rash went away and it got worse with each dose. You know its ok to say you don't know. Even I can make an educated guess, only I don't get paid to do so.
My 5 year old was treat with amoxicillan for an ear infection from teh pediatrician after we finished up she still complained her ear was hurting. I went to a Urgi Center and they gave her Cedifir? (not sure of spelling), she was on that for another week . her last dose was on a thursday, by tuesday she was all red rashed all over, took her to the ped. told  us to give her benedryl every 6 hours and it should go away in a week. it is now sat and she still has them. not a weeek yet but when is this going to stop? it's not getting worse but not cleared up . the rashed come and go in different spots. i carry benedryle with me. 2 trips to the Ped and spoke with the Ped over teh phone. they assured me it's a reaction to the amox. My little one has been on benedryle since tuesday and they tell me it's ok. very fustrated and feel terrible that she is going thru this. it's comforting to knwo that it's very common and i'm not alone
My daughter is 2 and I am going through the same thing. She has hives and a red rash all over her body. Her face started to swell and her eyes were about swollen shut. I took her to the ER and they gave us benadryl and steroids and sent us home with a script to take the steroids for another 2 days and benadryl every 6 hours. She seemed to get worse and worse. I took her to her regular doctor Monday and he also prescribed zantac for her. He also gave us an epi pen as well. We are 4 days now and the symptoms have only gotten worse with time. Does anyone know if this rash will cause any permanent scaring?
I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY HAVEN'T STOP THIS MEDICATION!!!!!!!My son had a mild ear infection last friday the the er doc gave us amox for 10 days.The first two days he thruw it up and the he got the rush all over his chest and belly,his back,arms even in his privet area.The next day he was fine so i thought that it was from his t-shirt even though I havent change the detergent.Today we had a check up with his doctor and the rash came back and when we ask him what can cause it he said a viral infection and that it has nothing to do with his medication.As a disbeliever and second guessing everithing those docters are telling me about my son's health and devolopment I start googling for parents with the same problem and now I am stopping amoxi.My son is fine and he has maybe 2 dozes to take from it but I am not risking.I hope this antibiotic is banned.
What is the proper dosage for a 10 month old that weighs 20lbs. He has a ear infection and the dr gave him 400mg/5ml of amoxicillin twice a day? Is this too high of a dosage?
To everyone giving your child any type of antibiotic (actually, even if you're taking it yourself): Antibiotics generally kill off all bacteria in the body, including the good kind. This is why the most common side effect from taking an antibiotic is a yeast infection- both in boys and girls, and it can also spread beyond the genital area (believe me, I got a yeast infection in my face. worst. thing. ever.) The best thing to do to prevent or counteract this is to take probiotics along with an antibiotic. Most doctors won't tell you this offhand, but if you ask them, they'll agree. For adults, its readily found at any pharmacy- acidophilus and bifidus cultures, the same as found in yogurt (though the capsules are much more potent). For infants, they do carry powdered probiotics, though it's much harder to find (generally you can find it-refridgerated- in a natural grocer) and also much more expensive (it runs about 25 dollars, as opposed to the 'adult' version which will cost you five to ten). Even so, it's worth the cost. It can take your body years to build up a normal level of good bacteria again after a bout of antibiotics-which can lead to many other infections and problems, including reoccuring yeast infections. If your child has a horrible diaper rash that just won't go away-it's most likely a yeast infection. And the nystatin cream is an antifungal, used to treat yeast infections (and other fungal infections)- I'd definitely recommend it, it's helped my child and I out immensely! (She had reoccurring yeast infections for the first three months of her life due to an antibiotic that they put me on when I was breastfeeding, and we just kept giving it back and forth to each other. It always went straight to my face, it was torture!)
Hello everyone,
If you haven't heard by now, you should be getting your children checked by a chiropractor. I am a chiropractor and have always had wonderful results in treating children. Once the CAUSE of the problem is found and corrected, bye bye problem. The amoxicillin doesn't get at the cause. Hope this help
Dr. Vince
484-888-2805
My 2 1/2 yr old son had a sore throat and fever on May 23rd and the dr prescribed Amoxicillin. After the 2nd day my daycare called me and told me my son just woke up from his nap and his face was swollen all around his eyes and he had large patches of hives all over his body, I immediately left work and called my husband as I was on my way to rush my son to the doctor. The doctor said it was an allergic reaction to the medication and told us to stop it immediately. They prescribed Benadryl and Prednisone( steroid) the benadryl was to be taken every 6hrs and steroid once a day for 3 days. It actually got worse after the 1st dose then cleared up a little but would come back when the benadryl wore off but as of this morning he looked almost 100% better and he just had the 3rd dose of the steroid.  Praying it is over because this kills me to see him go through this discomfort!
I, like most of you, have an infant son (1 year old July 7) who has had a reaction to the amox. We took him into the med station on Wed night (the 6th) with a fever 102.6 and they said it was from an ear infection. So they gave us the amox. He'd been on it before, so I didnt think much of it. But then on day 2, the third dose, he broke out in a horrible rash. I didnt even know it was serious, I was actually thinking heat rash, since we were outside. We were having his birthday party in the back yard and I thought woah, what is this rash on his face..and his belly, and back....and a friend asked if he was taking meds and I told her amox...she said call doc and get some benedryl in him right away (ah, yah I sorta panicked) because it could be serious. I called the doc and they said stop the amox, and they called in another antibiotic in for him...but I was very hesitant on filling it because how would I know if he had a reaction to that one while he was reacting to this one??   I never really thought about it...but I am very sensative to any med...so maybe my son will be as well. Pay attention parents...if you have allergies...your kid may also.   Instead of filling the script, I took him back to the doc and had him look at the ear infection, which had pretty much cleared up. He said not to fill the script for the other antibiotic, and to give benadryl as needed, and to give tylenol or motrin for discomfort.  We are on day 3 of the rash and it is not better yet, but after reading all the posts, my hope is that he will soon be better.  It is very scary. Dont let anyone tell you it's not, cuz it is!  Good luck to you all!!
You should all stop giving your children antibiotics for ear infections, it's proven that it doesn't help and the infection will go away on it's own in an equal amount of time, do some research and avoid all these problems!  My kids ages 1 and 3 have been diagnosed collectively with 10 or more ear infections and I have never given either one of them an antibiotic for it, there hearing is fine and they are fine, they always go away!  
Oh, and I agree with the chiropractor, I take my kids regularly.
I wish I had read all these before giving my 5 month old son the Amoxicillin prescribed by the doctor for a throat infection. He has rashes all over that seem to get worse by the minute. Took him to a walk in centre earlier today and the doctor told me it was just heat rash! Now, it's gotten so bad, his whole body is covered with raised red blotches and rashes all over!
If children react so badly to it, I don't understand why doctors still prescribe it.
Thanks to all your posts, at least I know my baby's skin will be back to normal soon.
Hello my daughter is 12 months, on Monday she was seen for her check up, vaccinations, and also for a cold symptoms she had been having for about a week, she was perscribed Amoxicillin, and Ibuprofen. I gave her amoxicillin monday evening and Ibuprofen shortly after and I noticed she threw up. Each time shes had a dose she has thrown up. She has been running a fever ranging from 102 to 105 since Monday also. Long story short after two E R visits the doctor is requesting me to bring her in to see is she is allergic to the Antibiotic.  
ok i just went through this yesterday. my 10 month old daughter Lilli was also treated for an ear infection by taking amoxicillin. On the 9th day of taking it she broke out into a HORRIBLE rash covering her entire body including her scalp under her hair, behind her ears, neck, face, stomach back legs feet EVERYWHERE!!! i was terrified, i took her to the dr and they told me she either had mono or an allergic reaction to the amoxicillin. She showed me in her little book where it says 90% of all patients with mono that then start on amoxicillin will develop a rash all over the body. Well her bloodwork came back she did not have mono she was just allergic to her amoxicillin. They gave me a steroid and an anti itch medicine and today my daughter woke up with the rash being almost gone, i couldnt believe it. But her dr said it will come and go for several days. So if its looking worse now just continue the medication and im sure within a few days your baby will be as good as new!! :) hang in there i know how hard it is to watch your little one suffer!! Hope this comment helped!
I'm going through the same thing. My son is 3 & he had taken Amox. before with no side effects. He was prescribed it again for a cough & ear infection & by the 9th day of use of the medicine, he woke up with bright red, raised, patchy squiggly hives that were hot to the touch & covered his whole body. He scratched them like crazy so we rushed him to the urgent care clinic. The Dr. said it was an allergic reaction to the amox. and to discontinue use & give him benadryl. We used benadryl around the clock & it did not help at all with the itching. He even itched under his hair, it was frightening to look at. It got worse the next day so we rushed him to the ER where the Dr. administered a steroid via IV & gave us a prescription for an oral steroid to continue at home. Around the clock bendaryl still didnt help & we gave him his oral steroids the next day & it got worse. When he woke up his eyes were almost swollen shut, he had a low grade fever, the hives that he was diagnosed with had went away from the treatment the day before of steroids at the ER but came back the next day way worse & all over his face & body (ears, hair, eyelids, genital area, hands, feet, chest, back, arms, legs, face...EVERYWHERE). So we took him back to the ER a second time & they gave him a prescription for Zyrtec since the benadryl wasn't helping. The Dr. said he had an allergic reaction to the amox. and that we had to continue the oral steroids & Zyrtec for the hives, itching & swelling. It's day 5 & hasn't gotten any better. He is swollen, can't stop itching & covered from head to toe in hives still. I'm hoping there's a light at the end of the tunnel. The Dr. said we have to make sure it doesn't turn into Steven Johnson's Syndrome which can be fatal. Very frightening!  
The diaper rash from Amoxicillin is yeast infection and it will go away! My daughter(12 mo) had a rash all over 7 days after she started taking amoxicillin and it went away a couple days afterbi quit giving it to her! Her doctor wants to " challenge" her on the medication again! She is now 15 mo and she just started on it again today!
My 3 year old boy broke out 2 days after taking a 7 day course of amoxicillin for a double ear infection.
I started with small bumps like mosquito bites which soon spread to large red patches that would welt up like a sting from a jellyfish.
It got much worse, we went to the er that evening and they gave him Benadryl. They said it may be a reaction to the meds, to bring him back if he gets facial swelling or gets hard to breath.
He got worse and we went to the pediatrician. He diagnosed it as Erythema Multiforme which is a reaction to the medication not an allergy that will necessarily show up on an allergy screening.
It is the third day now and the red welted areas and red patches are starting to get a more natural color, although he is now complaining that he can't walk due to swollen sore feet.
My advise is to go directly to a healthcare provider as it could be a worse case of this EM called Stevens-Johnson syndrome which can affect the respiratory systems.
Good luck!
My daughter has taken amoxicillin & augmentin for ear infections & also came down with an evil diaper rash & a few bumps on her face. Its been over a month & the diaper rash just won't give up! We have tried bacitracin, a&d ointment, nystatin for yeast, desitin, even neosporin, soaking in oatmeal baths, diaperless air time & nothing will clear it up! Poor baby screams when she pees, when u change her diaper & sometimes just holding her! Today her skin was so raw it was splitting!  :(
My son, whom is about to turn 9, took Amoxacillin for the 1st time this year, and on the 6th day he broke out in rash. When I sent him to school he was fine, then 1 hour after he got to school, the nurse called and told me  I needed to come get him and take him to see his Dr. I went that afternoon to the pediatrician, and they told me he was allergic to penicillin, and to just get OTC benadryl for him. I did just that... The next day the rash was worse then it was before, so I kept him home another day. He felt fine, was running around like a normal 9 year old would...just blotchy. Within the next 2 days his skin had turned back to normal. Now I only got to see the Doctors Aide... he was busy that day. they didnt really run any tests on him, but she said that knowing he was on Amox for 6 days, it ran it course, and by the looks of the type of rash he had, that he had an allergic reaction to it. I have read online in many articles, that some children outgrow the reaction by the time they leave elementary school. If you ask your dr they can do a test for you to find out. Also, there are more options now for an antibiotic then there used to be, so penicillin is not the only choice for children anymore.
On Nov 25th my 6 year old son was complaining that his ear ached so took him to the walk-in and he was given amoxycillin for an ear infection.  I am not a huge fan of antibiotics due to the series of side effects I experienced as a child, and reluctantly filled the prescription.  Two days later i get a call from the school nurse he has blisters all over the inside of his mouth so back to the doctors..now i am told he has coxsackie virus, which does not respond to antibiotic treatment but to continue amoxycillin for the ear infection. He is absolutely miserable with difficulty swallowing and not eating. yesterday morning he wakes up with small bumps on back and neck which started to spread.  i thought it was a symptom of the coxsackie virus but the doctor said it was either a reaction to the amoxycillin or worse it could be mono if it doesnt clear up.  she told me to stop giving him the amox and prescribed something different :( After reading some articles about "amoxycillin rash" and all these posts i feel better.  I went to the health food store yesterday and purchased a probiotic to replenish the good bacteia the antibiotics destroy, some vitamin c and a natural remedy for hives. Today he is feeling much better, his rash is fading and his appetite is back. next visit is to my chiropractor and homeopathic specialist if symptoms persist or reoccur!
My son had the same in August, this year. He was 2 then and was perscribed high dose (250 mg/3 times per day) for ear infection, which actually was not an ear infection, but roseola. I gave hime 7 doses and stopped because of minor rash. 1 week later massive huge welts, swelling, which was gone after  5 days. was very scarry and triggered his eczema this winter.
My son is 11 months and has been takin amoxicillin for 7 days and all of a sudden this morning he has a rash everywhere....the doc said it was just a viral rash since he had a viral infection before but I think its an allergic reaction to the medication...his dads twin is allergic to penicillin...could he possibly be allergic or am I too concerned?
Hi my 15 month old had an ear infection 2weeks ago and our Dr prescribe Amoxicillin and after 7days of using it. I noticed that my Son cheek was red and the ffg day he was unhappy and his nose was runny. Then that night he had a fever of 38.2. But then Monday he started vomitting and coughing, which I know he vomitted because of coughing and its sounds worse. He started to get rash in his face, from head to toe. I took him to ER and they didn't give him anything. What can I do? It looks worse than the other day. It sounds that its an allergic reaction to Med.
Have any adults experienced such reactions?

I just took Amox on January 1st for a sinus infection. And I got really sick that night and the next two days I got more and more blisters all over my body.  I stopped taking the Amox after the first night.  I'm freaking out.  Literally blisters all over, on my face, my scalp, chest, arms, back, legs, everywhere. Its nasty and demoralizing.

I read that severe blistering is a side effect, but I think I'm having a severe allergic reaction to penicillin.

I went to Urgent Care today... Day 3 of this ordeal.  And doctor said he its more than likely an Allergic Reaction and then said but we can't rule anything out.  I was somewhat re-assured but man it's so widespread it has me freaking out a little bit and its ITCHY now.  

Logic states he said, and I agree with him...  if I have never had a blister rash like this before and the day after I take Amoxicillin and I get a severe blister rash all over my body... it therefore must be a very bad allergic reaction to the Amox.

He said I have Vesicles and Pustules.

Vesicles - are a small fluid-filled blister
Pustules - are small, inflamed, pus-filled, blister-like lesions.

He prescribed Prednisone (steroid) and told me NOT to let my mind get the best of me and get all paranoid.  Sure enough it still is, I can't help it, haha.

Does this sound familiar to anyone's symptoms?
I am currently having the same issue with my 5 year old daughter.  on the 7th day of her antibiotic treatments of amoxicillin for tonsilitis she broke out in an itchy rash at school and by the time I discoverd it at home her body was full of red hives.  I took her to the er and the doctor immediately told me to stop the antibiotic.  He gave her a steriod shot and the swelling of her hands and feet started to decrease along with the hives as I administered benadryl.  However, the next day she began to hive up again and her old hives on her arms and legs have left welts that look like bruises.  I am very concerened as well.  Please post if you get an answer sooner than I do.
were your babies hives bumpy or just blochy?
My ten month old started taking amoxicillon for an ear infection and broke out with rash all over his little body. I'm scared to give him any other meds. due to the fact of me being unsure of what other allergic reactions he might have.
Wow now Im worried. My 9 month old has the same rash after finishing his antibiotics two weeks ago . He wasn't at all concerned. ... But now I've read fatal!?!
My one year old just finished a 10 day treatment of amoxicillin for an ear infection and now she has an red rash over her torso, back, and a little around her mouth and she also has another bad diaper rash that takes so long to heal up. the rash over her body doesn't seem to bother her at all, butI was worried so I called the after hours nurse and she basically gave me the run round, but  what I gathered if my baby isn't having difficulty breathing or doesn't seem affected by the rash then I can just keep an eye on her and make sure it doesn't worsen.
My son had an ear infection doctor prescribed  amoxcillin. Two days later notice  rashes all over his body and face too him to hospital doctor say he had a raction to the medication amox.  Tht he may be allergic to penicillin. Dov change the medicine to azithromycin and also gave denedryl
My son is 15 months and was on day seven of a ten day course when he broke out in terrible hives from penicillin. I rushed him to the pediatrician and they gave a steroid prednisone and children's Zyrtec. This was two days ago and it seems to be getting worse. Is it normal for it to get worse before it gets better??? The dr said it will take at least two weeks to clear. My son is very active but has moments of breaking out in tears and nothing calms him down. I've done the luke warm bath and all aveeno baby products. It doesn't look like hives now, they have all connected into one giant red mass...plaque like. Should I take him back to the pediatrician?
I m a nursing mom and for my tootake I was taking amoxsillin for 4 days now and I notise my baby has rush in his arms and face what can I do
stop the medication right now. no reaction is good. I just got home from the emergency twice today. they misdiagnosed my grandson and no he is COVERED I MEAN COVERED in red welts... I even asked 3doctors this morning could he be allergic to amox. nope its hand foot mouth disease.... so we kept up his amox... for the rest of the day and wow... he is unbelieveable tonight. back in emerg at 10pm... they gave me steroids and said STOP ALL AMOXICILIN... STUPID DOCTORS... HE IS SO BAD HE MAY HAVE SCARRING ALL OVER HIS BODY AND FACE ..................

EVERYONE!!! IF YOUR CHILD IS GETTING A RASH ....STOP!!!! THE AMOXICILIN OR WHATEVER THEY ARE ON... DOCS CAN FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO GET THEM ON.

STOP IT .. I KNOW THIS FROM EXPERIENCE... IF IT FEELS WRONG LADIES.... GO WITH YOUR GUT! IT COULD SAVE YOUR CHILD!!!
My 10 month old has been put on amoxicillin due to an ear infection caused by sinus allergies. She experienced severe gastrointestinal discomfort the first two days/nights. I changed her to a soy-based formula and added probiotics to her morning bottle. The pains ceased almost immediately. "Amoxicillin Rash" is a real thing and can occur from day 1 to day 16 of beginning treatment. No need to panic....... If they seem to have trouble with their breathing go to the doctor immediately!!

Also if they develop a yeast infection diaper rash use the probiotics (got mine at the health food store) and a combination of equal parts desitin, hydrocortisone cream and antifungal cream (athlete's foot cream) and enough liquid antacid to make creamy. Cleared up my 3yo in less than 48 hours when she was being treated for an ear infection at 9 mos.
I just wanted to say that this just happened to my 4 year old yesterday. He had been taking amoxicillin for about a week for a sinus infection and then all of a sudden yesterday morning, after his 16th dose, only 4 more to go, he broke out in a rash and it's been getting worse looking. Two doctors and two nurses have told me that there's nothing to worry about, his antibiotic was changed and he's taking benadryl as needed. He's not acting any differently than he normally does and he's not having any troubles breathing or itching at all, but it's hard to look at him and not worry. At least from your posts, I know it'll be at least a week that he'll look like this. :-\ I'm surprised this happens as much as it does. One of the nurses told me about 10% of kids this happens to.
Ceterizine for antihistamine, to ease the itching.  Then clindamycin/Dalacin C for antibiotics for bacterial infections.