Allergy Community
my baby's reaction to amoxicillin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

my baby's reaction to amoxicillin

My ten month old has had the flu this week and was previously treated for an ear in fection last week with amoxicillin.  After taking it for ten days he woke up today with a horrible break out all over his little face and body.  After meeting our doctor at the office on a sat, he seemed to think it was a reaction.  We have one dose of benydryl in, but it has actually worsened and spread since this afternnon.  It looks horrific!  Are there any serious concerns I should have now or does it just look awful until it clears up?
I am dealing with the same exact issue right now with my nine month old. He was taking amoxicillin for an ear infection and he had the same reaction. His rash is worse today than it has been. I am guessing that the medicine is just still in his system even though we have quit taking it, therefore he still has the rash. He is now on a different antibiotic and I am giving him benydryl too. I wish someone who knows would respond to your post. It is a good question and I would like to know the answer too. Good luck!

You need to take the child to the pediatrician urgently. This could be an allergic reaction to the drug - and it would need to be treated or there is a possibility that it continues to worsen.

Some such cases have known to even be fatal.

I am not trying to scare you, but just to make you realise the urgency.

You would be advised admission if the rash is severe or some medication including steroids if the doctor thinks it is mild in intensity.

Do schedule an appointment at the earliest or take him to the ER.

Keep us posted about the progress.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.
I agree, you need to get your child to a doctor asap. Rash is not generally the only reaction to meds. Your throat can swell shut and cut off the child air supply. If the doctor can't see you then goe to the er.
I had the same thing happen to. I have an 8 month old who was giving amoxicillin for ear infection and a bad sinus infection. after about 3 hours after I gave her the first dose. She broke out into a huge rash that covered here entire body. Then she started weezing and having problems breathing. So we took her to the ER. The doctor there said that she needed to go to the childrens hospital right away. So we went there and she stayed there for about 2 weeks. The doctor said that she was allergic to amoxicillin. { I can not take amoxicillin since I am allergic to any penicillin etc.} The best advise I can give you is take him to the doctor and see if if they would be able to do an allergy test {they would draw blood} and they will figure out for sure if he is allergic to amoxicillin. That is what they had to do for my daughter.

How is your baby doing now? Let us know about the health and well being of your child?

What did the pediatrician advise? What medications were prescribed?

Let us know if ou have any doubts and update us on the latest.

Regards.
My son is taking amoxicillin right now and I am not having trouble with a rash but I am noticing some changes in my son since he has been on the medication. He was originally put o n it for respitory and ear infection but I am worried that he may have a slight reation to it because he is vomiting or spitting up a thick mucousy discharge that does not have a normal look to it. Yes, I called a health care professional but I recieved the run around. Am i just too concerned of a mother or is it just an upset stomache from taking the medication????
I have a 10 month old that just started taking Amoxicillin about 6 days ago and since hes taken it, he has the worse diaper rash. Nothing I do makes it better, it just will not go away. Im wondering if this a allergic reaction. He did have a few bumps on his neck and cheek but I didnt think anything of it. Now, reading the posts..it seems as if he does have an allergic reaction to it. Now, I have been reading about it and everything says to not take him off of Amoxicillin because then the bacteria could spread. What should i do?
my two year old son took amox 3days ago. today i saw rashes on his legs and arms. what first aid should i do?
Wow, this sounds like a really common problem. Our 7 month old was put on Amoxicillin just over a week ago for an ear infection. Then yesterday we noticed he had a bumpy red rash from head to toe. We took him to ER and the doc said it's a reaction to the medication (duh). So he said to stop the Amoxicillin and give him Benadryl as needed if he seems uncomfortable. Our son did not have any respiratory symptoms, just this crazy rash all over his body! My question is, how long does this rash usually last? And will it go away faster if I give him Benadryl. It doesn't seem to bother him at all, so I don't want to drug him if I don't have to. This morning it looks pretty much the same as last night, no worse though, but I expected it to be looking better by now since his last dose was yesterday morning?
I am going through a similar issue with my 1 year old.  She was first was diagnosed with strep throat and took the full dose of Amox for 10 days without any reaction, three weeks ago.  Then, last week, she was diagnosed with an ear infection & the dr. prescribed Amox/Clavulanate for 7 days.  After 4 days, she broke out into a nasty, bumpy rash all over her face, behind her ears and scalp.  I immediately called the dr, but being a Sunday did not answer my call.  However, I made the executive decision to stop the antibiotic just in case it was a reaction to the medicine.  I finally spoke to the dr. on Monday and she immediately asked me to take her in & asked me to stop the meds and administer Benadryl instead.  Within the day, the rash had gotten worse.  The dr. prescribed Desonide Cream 0.05%, 2x daily on the affected area & an ear drop to treat her infection.  We started on Monday; it is now Wednesday & while some areas have gotten better (behind her ears especially), the face is still very affected by the rash.  I'm also giving her Benadryl 2x daily.  I just wonder how much longer we should wait before visiting the dr again or the ER?  
My 17 month old daughter had an ear infection. 3 days after the amoxicillin she had hives all over her torso and around her mouth. I took her to the doctors and they said it was allergic reaction, 3 days later and 4 days after stopping the medicine it was still there. took her back and had 4 vials of blood taken on 2 seperatre days.. tests came back no allergy from the medicine. i was told that the penicillin can trigger other allergens to come out. it has been 2 weeks and now finally breaking up. i was told zyrtec at night and hydrocortisone all over body and face. we have to see an allergy specialist to determine what the allergy is. i have been told by numerous people that same situations occur, sometimes it never happens again, and some people state they have severe food allergies.
Hey again,
Just thought I'd post an update -- Sullivan's almost clear of his rash now, thank goodness! I gave him Benadryl as recommended by the ER doc (note - the dosage was as instructed by the pharmacist, as the instructions on the box are for hayfever type symptoms -- she assured me that the higher dose for an allergic reaction is safe and necessary). We gave him 1 tsp Benadryl every 6 hours starting Monday morning, till Tues morning when we saw our family doc and she said it was okay to stop. The rash got gradually better, and now is no longer red, although I can still feel tiny bumps when I run my hand over his skin. And KBMOM, just so you know, his face was the last area to show improvement. Thankfully the ear is clear, so no further antibiotics needed to be prescribed. I see the light at the end of the tunnel! :)
I DOES NOT HAVE TO BE AN ALLERGY!  My 8 month finished Amoxacillian 6 days ago and broke out in a rash last night.  I took him to the doctor this morning and she told me that it is literally called "Amoxacillian Rash".  It typically will start in the trunk of the body one week after medication is stopped and then spread out to the limbs.  It does not itch and will subside in approximately 1 week.  She even pulled out a book and showed me EXACTLY what it was with pictures that were identicle to what my babys rash looks like.
My 8 mth old has double ear infections & is now on 4th day of amoxicillin.  He has undiagnosed mild eczema (red cheeks, spit up a ton after nursing (but still gained plenty of weight), cradle cap, & little red dots on the back of his knees after starting solid foods).   I have suspected dairy intolerance but haven't done elimination diet to prove or disprove.  

In the past 3 days, his eczema is spreading to his chin, neck, and I just saw a small rash on his buttock.   This is what prompted me to google like crazy & figure out what's in the oral pink bubblegum amoxicillin that is causing the eczema rash to flare up.

The inactive ingredients of amoxicillin include food coloring and additives.  There is some connection between these ingredients & eczema/skin rashes according to google search results.

I'm going to call the pedi tomorrow am & request to switch to the amoxicillin powder ( in addition to reviewing the rash).  I hesitate to treat a reaction to a medication with another medication and prefer to figure out what the cause is.

Also, I just put him on Solaray's probiotics for baby today to help maintain the healthy bacteria levels in his body and build up his immune system's response to allergens, etc.

Just a follow up: I don't know if it's okay to post links here, but I read this medical study titled: Study of skin rashes after antibiotic use in young children.
By Huang SW, Borum PR.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9793729?dopt=Abstract

It is what made me want to switch to the dye-free amoxicillin for my baby (which I will hopefully do tomorrow).

Hope this helps someone else out there!
my 5 year old daughter was given amoxy for strep and finished the 10 day dosage....3 days later a rash startrd on her elbows and behind her knees....the next day all over her body red splotchy hives that looked like 2nd degree burns ALL over body and Face....swollen eyes....horrible...took her to er and they gave her benedryl and motrin for fever and pain.....did that for 2 days before the hives went away but while it was going away some spots became purple like bruises on her body....that lasted another day or 2.....ped said it was allergic reaction to amoxy and it may come back until amoxy leaves her system completely...need to do allergy test now but situation was definetly frightening.
My 15 month old sone has had 2 ear infections and the first time we gave him amoxicillin and nothing happened. Then just 2 weeks ago he had another ear infection so he got amoxicillin again and within six dasy of being on it he broke out in a rash that was all over his body and it looked like welts. So we took him to the emergency room just this past saturday and he said it was an allergic reaction to amoxicillin. The rash started lightly friday night and saturday it spread to his face and they welted out. Sunday his belly cleared up but other parts got worse. Monday it started to clear up and today(tuesday) its completely gone. If it is just a rash the doctors do not really do anything except take them off the medicine. Maybe benedryl for discomfort but other than that it will go away on its own.
I can't believe this many people are going through the same thing. I am scared and unsure if my daughter is getting a rash but i can see redness occuring on her back and abdomen. Should I take her to the ER or wait until Monday and take her to the Pediatrition? She woke up at 5a.m throwing up and she had very watery diahrea. not sure what to do, any advice?
I have a 6 month old girl who was on amoxicillian for 10 days for 2 ear infections. She broke out in a rash near the end of the dosage thats red, hives that change and move around.. alomst like little boils from her head to her feet. Swollen red feet and hands and sore to the touch. No difficulty breathing. I took her to the ER after talking to the doctor 2x by phone. They said it was an illergic reaction to the amox. Shes to young for Benadryl so they told me oatmeal baths/ calamine lotion or cortizone cream. Also, doc said it would go away in a week to two weeks and do a follow up.  
My advice is I know it looks horrible like a disease but take a deep breath... definetly go to the doctors it gave me peace of mind to know that this too shall pass...

~ :)
My son is also having a similar reaction, after 7 days of Amox. and 1 day on Keflex.  Even though I'm giving Benadryl he is still reacting once the Benadryl wears off. He's on Z-pak now & I have my fingers crossed that the hives will stop.  My Dr. said it may get worse before it gets better...I guess it is doing just that.  Hope your baby is better soon!
My son is 2 1/2, he has taken amoxicillin numerous times for ear infections. The new doctor I took him to put him on a higher dosage. He had one dose left and I noticed he had a red rash with tiny white bumps. Took him to the doctor and they said it was an allergic reaction to something but they don't know what. Hoping its the amoxicillin because it's going to be really hard to narrow down what is causing it. How long does this reaction last???? I feel like I am giving him so much medication. I was worried it was scarlatina because he had the flu before the ear infection and the rash looks a little similar. I would just like to know when can I expect this to be over, it has been 4 days.
Same problem.  My two year old girl is going through a very, very similar thing now.  9 Days ago she was diagnosed with STREPP by swap at an E.R. and amoxy was prescribed.  Yesterday, my wife called me at work and said my little girl was developing some red dots on her belly and chest.  We called the family dr., but was out of the office, so a nurse said keep an eye on it. If things worsen by morning, then get to the e.r. or a Dr.  It got worse by the next morning.  Way worse.  The red bumps seemed to multiply on themselves.  And were forming raised areas, not just a red rash.  Her cheeks have swelled up giving her one hell of slapped cheek look, and there are bumps in her mouth.  My wife and I were terrified.  I am deathly allergic to crustacean iodine (ocean shellfish), and my throat once swelled closed in only 23 minutes, so I was extemely nervous.  

This morning, the e.r. dr. checked for various other virus's then determined it was the amoxycillan her body is reacting too.   Like other's on the post I was extemely worried.  I'm not so worried now after seeing success stories just after 3 days. Mlittle girl is still eating and drinking.  She just finished a large sippy cup of milk with her first 2.5 ml of Benedryl. She is resting now, the benedryl has kicked in.
     When my daughter was about 11 months old, she was given amoxicillin for an ear infection.  She broke out in a red rash all over her body.  We took her to the doctor, and they changed the medicine and told me she was allergic to amoxicillin.  She cleared up a week or so later.
     About 8 months later, I was doing some spring cleaning in my closet where I found mold in the corner.  My kids were napping in the other room, so I took everything out
and tried to clean up the mess.  Before they woke up, I had everything picked up, cleaned up, vacuumed around, etc.  The next morning, she woke up with a horrible rash that looked the same as the amoxicillin reaction, only worse - with raised hives and more red sploches.  She didn't even come in contact with the mold in the closet.  The only thing I can figure is that she breathed in the mold spores.
     We took her to the emergency room, and I told the doctor about the amoxicillin allergy, and that my theory was that, since amoxicillin and penicillin are created by mold naturally, there was a connection.  I have never wanted to slap someone so much - this doctor told me that was ridiculous - that all amoxicillin and penicillin products are created synthetically.  He said I just must have missed something and she got into something.  I am a stay at home mom - I don't miss much, and I know I didn't miss anything that could cause a reaction like that!
     Word of advice from someone who has been there, keep a watch out for mold and rashes like the amoxicillin reaction rash.  Our pediatrician seemed to agree with me, so that er doctor was just being a jackalope!  2 + 2 really does = 4!

I really hope all of your kids get better.  ;)
Our grandson is being treated for a sinus infection and ear infection.  He was prescribed Amoxicillin for 10 days.  He had taken 3 doses when we stopped in today.
When I changed him, I noticed a circular rash ~ little blister-like bumps in a pronounced red area.  I thought it was directly where he had had a shot @ the dr.s a few days ago.  Then I noticed it was also around his ankle.
The next time I changed him, it was in several other areas.  We kept a watch; it would seem to disappear from one area, only to reappear in another...each time in larger splotches.
Our kids dr. told them that it was a delayed rash from the fever he had had two days ago ~ I raised 2 kids. . .never heard that one.
Is there a dr. 'out there' who might be able to give me any guidance based on my information here?
HUGE thank you.
It was an allergic reaction to the amoxicillin!
My 21/2 yr son has the same thing. First on his belly then a few days later it was all over him. The dr said it was just an reaction to the med and nothing to worry about. Cause the red bumps were not itchy or hot. I do have to watch for very dry lips, swollen tongue cause that means a very serious trip to the ER. But that RARELY happens.
If this is happening to you and you don't think it is an allergy...just red spots nothing else just stop giving the amoxicillin (sorry about spelling) and no need for benadryl but if are worried 1 dose won't be that bad for them. Once the rash goes on the face it will be another 1-2 days of a really bad rash all over then it will calm down.  
Mel
I just went through the same exact thing in my 1 year old son. The week of April 27th he started having a runny noise, sneezing and coughing. I called the doctor and they said that if it gets worse bring him in but his 1 year check up was that Friday May 1st. When we went for his one year check up he indeed had an ear infection. They prescribed him amoxicillin. For the rest of the time he was pretty  much ok except for when they called me at work one day and told me he had a temp of 102.2-103. I went to pick him up and I immediately brought him to his pediatrician who said he just has a bad cold. This past Saturday we were running some errands and all of a sudden out of nowhere I noticied these bumps all of his arms, legs, face so I brought him to the emergency room. They gave him some steriods and benaydrl which honestly seemed to do nothing. They gave me 4 presciptions to give to him and off we went. Yesterday (Sunday) he still had the hives all over but it looked like another break out happened. We just got back from the pediatician today (Monday) and he said he was most likely due to the amoxicillin. He took him off all his medication and said to just keep an eye on his fever and give him benadyrl as needed for itching. I honestly hope that the reaction is indeed from the amoxicillin. The doctor did say that he could take a while for an allergic reaction to show up. All I know is I have never been so scared in my life. All I can say as a parent is watch your little baby and if you NOTICE ANYTHING different call the doctor and dont feel bad or feel like your a pest. Babies cant talk so they cant tell you whats wrong. Good luck to everyone!
My son had a terrible reaction at 6months but not until 5 days of being on the meds. I brought him to the ped. the first day and he told me to stop the amoxicillian and give him ben. I did and ended up in the ER the next morning they gave him oral steriods  and said he thoght he may have the flu on top of it. The next day it was horrific! I took him back in without an appointment and he needed a shot of steroids and a cream just to calm him! It took a good 12 hours to see results. He is 9 months and has another bad ear infection. He was on omnicef for 10 days and his ear is even worse! They just switched him to bactrim and now he is throwing up! They say he may need shots to make him better. What happens if he gets strept throat or even worse? Will he be able to take anything? This is mt third and it's only natural he would get sick more then the others because of his brothers bringing home bugs from preschool, but I feel like I can't get him well.
HELP!
Wow, after reading all of these post about the Amoxicillin, I'm taking my son off tonight---No more of this drug. He has no hives, but his lips have been very dry and he has just gotten the worst case of diaper rash I've ever seen, like sandpaper almost. His little testicles are all swollen and penis inflamed, and I don't think someone that small should be in that much pain. I may start to try homeopathic remedies, because it seems that all doctors do is continue to give drug after drug for each problem....that's too much on a small immune system. Be careful everyone, and I hope your kids got better!
livbymy, really appreciated your detective work.  I am going to speak to my doc about additives in antibiotics.  My 10 month old son is being treated for an ear infection with amoxicillin.  He has pre-existing eczema on his face and when the rash developed a rash all over his body on day 4 of antibiotic use, I thought it was more eczema.  The rash improved for a few says (but did not go away) but has now worsened (day 8).  I decided, with agreement from doc, to keep him on amoxicillin to complete the course rather than introduce a new antibiotic.  My son is otherwise happy and doesn't appear to be in distress from the rash.  I am going to see the doc again tomorrow and am going to ask for a skin test for allergy to penicilin (although I doubt the rash is due to this).   I have booked an appt with a dermatologist later this week to discuss the eczema and rash post antibiotics.  I too am giving probiotics a couple of hours after the antibiotics and have been using these to try and manage the eczema prior to the ear infection.  Hope your kids are well soon.  Don't be deterred by dismissive medical professionals.  My exerience as a parent tell me a mother's observations and 'gut feel' about health issues in their children are often right and usually key to getting the correct diagnosis.
Warning!!

Please, take your child to the pediatrician as soon as possible after ER visit if amoxicillin is prescribed.  My 15 month old daughter was diagnosed with ear infection by an ER Dr. and amoxicillin was prescribed.  So, we start the amoxicillin immediately.  After 2 1/2 days in amoxicillin she started to develop a mild rash so we stop amoxicillin and decided to take her to the pediatrician.  The pediatrician found that there was no ear infection and told us to stop giving her amoxicillin.  It turns out it was roseola infantum.
My daughter had an ear infrection for the second time and she was put on amoxcillin. By day 8 of the meds she got a rash and later that night she was all puffy and has hives every where. We brouhgt her to the er and they gaver her an epi shot to help and said to take bynedryl and perscribed her Prednisone. The next day the rash got worse even after giving her the meds so i brought her to the er again they blew it off and said she is fine just take the meds. As long as she is breathing fine.... By monday the rash had changed and was all over her in her ears, hair, everywhere. Now the rash was warm to the touch she had a fever and the rash was turning pruple and black! So i went to a different hospital where they specialize in kids. They where very concerned she was kept in the hospital for a day and a half , They had not seen a rash like this before. She was given lots of steroids for all the swelling and the rash. She is better now but is still swollen and has hives. They said it could take a few weeks to go away. Either way this was really scary and it's sad i had to go to three doctors for them to realize she was really sick from the meds.
Give some time and have patience. It was a systemic allergic reaction. Your baby will be allright.
i just had the same thing happen, i have a 3 month old who was put on amoxicillin to PREVENT a kidney infection which i didnt agree with in the first place because hes so young. today he broke out in a terrible rash from head to toe its on his fingers and scalp. took him to the ER and they said benidryl if needed but now im worried about his throat closing up they said that wouldnt be an issue but a lot of peopl eon here heard differently. any thing i should be looking for with that? he doesnt seem distressed. just cuddley
My baby was diagnosed with ear infection last week and started getting light red spotty rash on his cheeks this morning, nothing horrible so I dropped him at day care. They just called telling me he's got it on his hands and feet but he's acting fine. Was cruising around the internet and found this forum and also found something all of you may find helpful: http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/pa/pa_ampirash_hhg.htm

I also have a call in for a nurse call back from my pediatric clinic, but after reading the above webpage i'm pretty sure he's just fine.
Please be aware if your baby/child starts sticking their tongue out like not normal looking. Like their tongue might be swallon. My daughter when she was about 7 months at the time was doing that I am not sure why and this happened a long time ago. She was having a allergic reactiong to something. We took her to the er not wanting to because of the swine flu. She was running very high fevers for a few days she was on her baby meds. which helped for a awhile. But I was very scared and so unsure of what to do. But the fever was not going away and it just made me cry because I didn't know what to do. Then we just decided to take her to the er we took her about 3am and they got us in and out. I kept her safe as I could. We had some swine flu cases at the hospital, which is why I was so panicky. She had a ear infection and a allergic reaction. I am guessing the high fevers might have had something to do with her having an allergic reaction. But I don't know. Hope this is helpful.
We had a similar experience to what Lindseyw1 posted July 12, 2009. Our 10.5mth old son was taken to the pediatrician, last Friday 07/17, and we were told he had an ear infection. He took the medicine for 6 days, then Thursday,  he went to sleep early and I forgot to give him his medicine. The next morning, 07/24, he had a red rash all over his face, his eyes were swollen, he had a fluctuating temperature of 99-101. We took him to the pediatrician, who said he had a 'viral infection' and not a reaction. She said his ear infection was gone, so we could discontinue the antibiotic. She said take Tylenol for fever as needed, and Benadryl for the rash. Well, by Saturday, he was worse, itching all over, it looked like swollen blisters all over his body. Oatmeal baths and calamine lotion did not abate his agony! So, that evening we took him to the after hours pediatrician, and the doctor indeed said it was a reaction and immediately prescribed Predinisolone (5 days only). Here it is 24 hrs after second doctor visit, and his symptoms have improved remarkably, and he is not itching nearly as much.We are relieved, as is our son!  Second opinions should never be underestimated!!
My little girl is 6 months old. She got an ear infection a week ago and was given Amoxicillan. We went thru the full perscription and it wasn't until a day or two after that she started to get a full body rash. I took her to our family Dr. and was advised that it is VERY common for infants to develop this rash after taking the Amoxicillan AND having something viral in their system (ie, cold/flu, etc). Was advised it will go away with no additional treatment required. What I have noticed on top of that as well, is Motrin will make the rash worse!
I recently had two wisdom teeth extracted and the doctor prescribed me Amoxiciliin. I am 31 years and I am rarely sick. So I took the Amoxicillin.
24 hours later I noticed an itchy feeling around my decolletes area. After 48 hours I discovered a red rash on neck and decolletes. By this time  I had taken the Amoxicillin for 3 days. I stopped taking it but the rash got worse and it was not itching anymore - it hurt like a really bad sunburn and my entire right shoulder was swollen, my nymph knots were swollen and my armpit hurt badly. At night it would hurt so bad that I would wake up and could not go back to sleep. At day it felt like I was carrying a big bag filled with tons of books over my right shoulder. I started taking Benadryl but I did not nice a relief for 5 more day. Then it started getting better but very slowly. I still have the last signs of the rash and it still hurts slightly. Since i noticed the rash its been almost 2 weeks. The doctor said I can never take antibiotics from the Penicillin family again or it will be worse. He mentioned difficulties breathing etc.
I hope my post helps some of you because I did not know what it was how long it takes how to fight etc. either. I don't think you can really do a lot. Just be careful that you don't take it again.
Here's a new one for all of you. My 6 month old son was given Amoxicillan last Tuesday (3 days ago) for an ear infection. I am severely allergic to penicillin. Now I am breaking out in hives and feeling absolutely terrible. I called the pharmacist and was told that I am being exposed to the penicillin through my son's drool and spit up. He is 6 months old so all he does is drool because he's getting teeth. And if he drools or spits up on my skin, it soaks in and is causing me to have an allergic reaction. I called his doctor and they put him on a different medication today. They said he won't be able to take that medicine until he gets older and stops the drooling and spitting up. So just beware if you are allergic penicillin that your child being on it can actually affect you too.
I have seen several comments about a bad diaper rash while taking this antibiotic. All 3 of my boys have experienced the same while on it. All 3 times my Dr has prescribed a cream called Nystatin, which works wonders! It might take a few days to clear it up, depending on how severe the rash is. And my 2 yr old son is on Amoxicilin right now & just developed a rash on his body as well. Mostly on his legs, arms, neck & stomache. I took him right in this morning to the Pediatrician & she said that it's just a reaction to the medicine & is actually called an "amox rash". As long as they aren't hives, it doesnt appear to be an allergic reaction, (which can be dangerous) I am just going to watch him closely over then next few days, but she also told me to discontinue giving him the prescription. He has been on it 5 days. He seems to act normal, so I am not too worried. BUT....it's SO much better to be safe than sorry!!! Take your child in if you are concerned, that's all there is to it! :) Good luck everyone!
Wow.. i am going through the exact same thing right now! My son is 6 months old and was givin Amox 8 days ago for a ear infection. Today he woke up with a horrible bumpy rash from head to toe. I just took him to the ER and they pretty much said they didnt know what was causing it. They said to stop the amox just in case its from that. I thought it was chicken pox but from what im reading it might be from the meds! Im giving him benedryl for now. We have a appt with his dr tomorrow so hopefully she can tell us what it is.
My son is 11 months old.  He had an ear infection and was put on amoxicillin 8 days ago.  Yesterday he woke up with little spots everywhere on his body.  He wasn't itchy and he was actually happy.  
I took him to his doctor and she said that it was a viral infection and that it just has to run it's course.  She said no benedryl but stop the amox because his ear infection was gone.  All day yesterday he was getting more and more red dots, soon his face was almost fully covered by them along with his body and a lot on his back.  He started crying a lot and it was really hard for him to sleep.  This morning we went back to the doctor because he became very itchy and he was scratching and rubbing his feet together.  The spots got bigger and spread out more.  This time we saw the same doctor and she said that it was looking more like a penicillin reaction.  She perscribed XYZAL and Zyrtec for the night time.  After the first dose of XYZAL he seemed to be a little more playful and actually let me put him down.  His dots seem to be getting lighter on his back but still pretty red on his face.  Does anybody know how long this should last for?  How long will he be itchy for? When will the rash go away?
My daughter is 11 m.o.  She has had two ear infections, with the first being treated by amoxicillin, for 10 days, about a month ago or so.  No problems.  She was again put on amoxicillin, approximately a week ago.  She woke up yesterday morning with a 103 degree fever, which fluctuated from 101-104 throughout the day (when she didn't have Motrin in her).  Not knowing anything, I gave her her dose of amox yesterday morning.  She was pretty lethargic all day and slept most of it.  I gave her a dose of Infant Motrin in the early afternoon.  Called the dr. about 3 and they wanted to see her around 5.  By the time I got to the dr., she had some red, hivish spots, but very mild.  They said it was most likely an amox allergy and to stop that (ear fine).  I was torn between that and whether or not she might be having a reaction to Motrin (as she had never had that before yesterday).  By evening her eyes were swelling shut and spots were everywhere...not just "spots", but welts.  I have been giving her Benadryl, which they said to do.  I'm just wondering how much worse this can expect to get before it gets better?  Also, I placed a call to the dr. in the early evening with my concerns, and he wasn't too sympathetic.  Thanks for any input.  
My 2 years old son had a fever for few days. I was giving him tylonel and it was working fine in reducing it. After 3-4 days i took him to have him checked by his doc. I was told he has ear infection and was given 400 mg amoxicillin 1 teaspoon (5ml) every 12 hours. After 2 days my son started vommiting and on the 3rd day he looked as if he is drunk. He cannot walk in balance and unable to sleep. I stopped the amoxicillin and called the doctor. He said he was not sure what is going on. I suspected the amoxicillin and the dose. I told him that. He checked my son's ears and said they look fine, so I can stop the amoxicillin. However regarding the balance, ( I mean he walks worse than the first day he started walking when he was 11 months old. He cannot even stand up without loosing his balance.) The doctor told me to wait 2-3 days and see if he gets better. Any ideas, did this happened to any of your kids before? please answer.
My 2 year old son was taking amoxicillin for strep throat about a month ago and the rash started on the back of his neck.  I didn't think anything of it until he started having a fever of 103 to go with it.  I just thought the rash was from a new laundry detergent that I started using a day before, but he wasn't getting any better so I took him to his doctor.   And thank god I did because it turned out he was having a really bad reaction to the medicine.  He had what looked like a map of hives all over his body; they all connected.  He had little red dots on his face, the tip of his nose was slightly swollen and his left ear was red and swollen.  His doctor just had to take one look at him and she knew he was allergic.  They immediately gave him some benedryl and the doctor gave me a prescription for prednisolone to counteract the reaction.  After about the second day of giving him the prescription and benedryl every 6 hours, he was back to normal.  The doctor told me to watch out for throat and/or tongue swelling and to take him to the ER if that happened, but it never did.  Scary times!

I found this on a web site, hope it helps as i have had the same problem with my 8month old son...............

Your question brings up several important points about penicillin allergy. However, let me take this opportunity to discuss antibiotic allergy in general, as there can really be a lot of confusion around this issue. Many parents seem to think that any reaction to an antibiotic is allergic. However it is important to realize that there is a difference between a true allergic reaction and a side effect of the medication itself. Antibiotics, as all other medications, have potential effects; both helpful ones like fighting off bacteria and unwanted "side effects". We know that certain antibiotics tend to cause more vomiting, abdominal discomfort and diarrhea than others. So when a parent reports that a child has had such symptoms, we recognize this is a side effect of the medication and not an allergic reaction. This distinction is important as we do not want to falsely label a child as being allergic to penicillin when truly he or she is not.

An allergy develops when a person's body has a bad reaction to a particular substance or product, such as penicillin. Allergic reactions to medications usually have very specific symptoms including: an itchy rash or urticaria, swelling of the throat/mouth area and difficulty breathing. Also, very rarely, allergic reactions to medications, including penicillin, can be potentially life threatening. There are also different types of allergic reactions. Some that occur right away and others that appear several days after starting the antibiotic or even within a week after stopping it. In any case, my point is that there is an important difference between a side effect and an allergic reaction. How does one confirm a penicillin allergy? By allergy (skin) testing to penicillin, the only antibiotic we can actually test for. If a child tests positive, then he or she is considered allergic to penicillin and should not be given penicillin the future. If the test is negative the child is not penicillin allergic.

Penicillin is a beta-lactam antibiotic while, amoxicillin is an amino-penicillin. In other words, it is a modified form of penicillin. It is a beta-lactam molecule with another(amino)molecule stuck onto it. It is not uncommon for children to react to the amino part of the amoxicillin molecule and not the penicillin (beta-lactam) part. So these children, although have had a reaction to amoxicillin, technically are not allergic to the penicillin molecule. They had an allergic reaction to the "non-penicillin portion" of the amoxicillin molecule. In this case, just like with your son, the penicillin allergy test is negative. So in the future, penicillin can be given to your son, but not amoxicillin.

On a final note, if there is a doubt about a penicillin allergy, it should be verified one way or the other. This clarification will be extremely helpful in deciding which antibiotic to use in case a future need arises.
My six year old had a pretty severe Penicillin allergy 2 weeks ago which included him taking Prednesterone and Atarax (steroids and prescription anti-hist). Although he's been back to his normal routine, he complains of joint pain in his knees and elbows and wrists. He still gets a bit splotchy and itchy when he's running around. Could this still be a reaction to the penicillin? How long does this medicine stay in his system?
I agree that mainstream medecine sometimes causes more problems than what they fix, but before you take your child off of antibiotics on your own, consult a homeopath in your area.  Even some homeopaths prescribe antibiotics in stubborn cases.  I find homeopathics work best when prescribed by a homeopathic doctor and given early on in the illness.  Illnesses that are further along are harder to treat.  As far as diaper rashes and diarreaha developing, this is because antibiotics not only kill bad bacteria, they kill the "good" bacteria in your digestive tract as well.  I find taking probiotics helpful during and after exposure to antibiotics.  You can even buy probiotics in local drug stores.  Hope this helps!
my 9 month old daughter had been put on amoxicillin for a sinus infection.. when we first started giving the antibiotic, she was fine up unt after 2 weeks then one day I noticed what looked like tons of mosquito bites all over her leg.  couple days later, when I came home from work, she had a red & white welts all over her arms & they were quickly spreading onto her chest & back & up her neck.  I paniced & took her to the er & the doc said it was hives.  they gave her benadryl & I've been giving it for about almost 3 days but sometimes I feel the benadryl makes it swell up & seem worse.  I feel so bad for her... the hives get better then worse the better then worse.  I just wish it would go away!!!!  does anyone else seem to notice that benadryl makes the hives seem to act up in their child?
i just started amoxicillan for my 10 month old daughter for an infection.  reading all these posts i'm starting to worry i'll have to take a trip to the er myself......  i am allergic to penicillan but my husband is not.  i guess i'm just wondering if there are any parents out there whose younger kids haven't had a reaction to anything penicillan?  and why do they prescribe it if it causes so many reactions?  and is there anyone who had a reaction right after starting doses?
My daughter is 10 months old. She went to the doctor a week ago yest. and had an ear infection. She was put on Amoxacillin. This morning we woke up and she has bright red bumps all over her legs and arms. At first I thought of Chicken Pox but all the pictures on the internet didnt look like what she had. I myself am allergic to Amoxicillin so I started looking that up. She has taken it before with no problems. Im going to stop giving her the medicine and try benadryl. It scared me really bad this morning but reading everyones posts made me feel much better.
•••Take your baby to the doctor••••
I went online and found this article that calmed my anxiety: (article after my experience)
My experience::
Hi there, my One year old was treated for an ear infection with Amoxicillin, 10 days after the first dose, I noticed red bumps all over his body, head to toe. Took him to the pediatrician and he said it was an allergic reaction to the antiboitic. Since he didn't have a fever and was his normal self (eating right, palying, happy baby) he told me it wasn't serious, he told to use more moisturizer on him and no prescriptions necessary. After a warm bath I put Desitin and some comfy pjs and the next morning noticed he seemed better.
Article:
Amoxicillin Rash Treatment
A compilation of notes on Amoxicillin and its side effects. This article mainly focuses on causes, symptoms and Amoxicillin rash treatment.
Amoxicillin Rash Treatment
Amoxicillin is an antibiotic prescribed to deal with infectious bacteria. This drug is popular among medical practitioners, as it is easily absorbed by the body, especially if administered orally. Amoxicillin belongs to class of penicillin antibiotics. It is usually used to treat ear infections, throat infections, bladder infections and also some sexually transmitted diseases. Like all antibiotics, there are some side-effects that come along with Amoxicillin. Not all of these are worrisome, but there are others which require immediate medical help. Amoxicillin rash, however, is not very serious unless there are some other grave accompanying complications, therefore, Amoxicillin rash treatment is very simple.

Causes of Amoxicillin Rash
Rash from Amoxicillin is also described as maculopapular or morbilliform. This measles like rash is a reaction to the drug. It can be an idiosyncratic reaction, or it maybe a pre-cursor of a serious anaphylactic reaction. The duration of Amoxicillin rash is about 3 to 6 days, while the rash appears after 72 hours of taking the drug. In most cases, it only lasts for three days and is not contagious. Read more on common skin rashes.

Symptoms of Amoxicillin Rash
An Amoxicillin skin rash usually starts from the abdomen, covers the back, and sometimes spreads to the arms, legs and the face and appears as small flat spots which are usually red or dark pink in color. A non-allergic Amoxicillin rash in children and adults does not itch. Almost 10% of children taking Amoxicillin can develop an itchy rash which may result in blisters, where as, a non-allergic rash doesn't cause itching and therefore, no blisters. A majority of patients that have Epstein Barr virus infection develop a non allergic reaction to Amoxicillin rash treatment. A person suffering from Amoxicillin rash may experience nausea, vomiting, watery or bloody diarrhea, but dizziness and heart burn are most common. Fever, chills, headaches, body ache or flu like symptoms may also appear. Some people may experience vaginal yeast infection or yeast infection of the mouth. Seizures are another serious accompanying side effect that need immediate attention. It may lead to a hairy or black tongue, and swelling or hives can occur in serious cases.

Treatment for Amoxicillin Rash
Amoxicillin rash treatment is very basic, in fact, in most cases, no treatment is needed for this rash. If no other complications occur, the rash disappears just as quickly as it appears. For a soothing effect on the rashes, try an oatmeal bath or any anti-itch pill can also help to ease the itching. Flushing out toxins by drinking lots of water can help the patient recover faster. If someone develops a rash after taking an antibiotic, it is usually an allergic reaction to the medicine, so it's best to inform your physician about your allergies so that you can be prescribed something your body is not allergic to. In mild cases, one doesn't need to discontinue the medication as the rashes are self eliminating, but in cases where the rashes are itchy and last long, it is best to avoid the medication, and ask your physician to substitute it. More on allergy relief.

Precautions for Amoxicillin Rash
Do inform your doctor if you are suffering from a kidney disease or are breast feeding your baby as Amoxicillin is passed in breast milk. Amoxicillin also makes birth control pills less effective. If bloody or watery diarrhea develops, it maybe a sign of a new infection, so inform your doctor. If the skin rashes in children due to Amoxicillin are accompanied by breathing difficulty, get immediate medical attention, or also if the rashes become raised or turn into hives. People who are allergic to Amoxicillin are also allergic to medicines containing penicillin, so here again, informing your doctor beforehand would be the right thing to do. Hence, a rash from Amoxicillin lasting for more than a week is a warning sign. Another red flag is breathing difficulty, so, if it appears it is advisable to immediately consult your general physician.

Now that you are equipped with the basics about the allergic reaction that Amoxicillin can cause, rest assured that you will handle Amoxicillin rash treatment with the desired amount of care and seriousness, especially when it comes to children, now that you can identify the real warning signs. If you are one of those lucky few who doesn't have an adverse reaction to antibiotics, then have no fear!

Umm hey everyone,

I know these posts have been dead for a while, but I need help.
I'm sort of desperate. =(

I realize that most of this conversation is related to infants and young children, however, I am 18 years old. I began taking penicillin for strep throat around 11 days ago, but didn't establish a rash until just three days ago. I went to the doctor, to make sure it wasn't serious. He said I'd be fine, but to quit taking the meds. The rash seems to be steadily getting worse... Initially I had red bumps on my neck, and collarbone area, it spread to my back, face, arms, stomach, and legs and scalp. Even on my eyelids, and ears. It is severely uncomfortable, but that is not the only problem. I hate to sound vain, but I am in grade 12, and I have my final graduation in a week. I really don't want to look like this on the biggest day of my life so far. =(

If anyone has any advice on how to speed up the healing process, or reassurance on the healing time, please help me.

Thanks so much =)
I had the same situation with my 10 month old baby. They told me it was a viral infection . I had to let it take its course. I do have to ask if you have tried Aquaphor on your face. his is like a vaseline ointment . That help my daughter with her rash on her face. I really cant tell you how long it last because my daughter has been going on with this rash for a week an a half now.  I know that the aquaphor has definitely helped her face heal. Her face was the worse because she had access to it. The rest of her body was covered.   I was told my daughter had a viral infection a reaction from her ear infection. I still think it was the antibiotic.  I also did take her off of it.  For the person that commented on bad parenting for taking the kids off a medication, you are wrong and I hope you have kids to be commenting on this subject.  If something is harming your kid and your gut tells you is the medication , I am stopping it regardless of what the doctors says.  This is what parents do, care worry and take care of their kids.  To each is own.
My son Dakota is one, on may 5, I took him to get 3 shots, mmr, flu, and chicken pox. On June 3, I took him for em. Appt. for high fever n cold, found out he had ear infection in both ears and sore throat. He has never been sick prior with anything ever. After being given amoxicillin, i noticed red rash on face, then on arms. I used Benedryl but not much better, the more doses I give him of amoxicillin he receives the worse the rash multiplies. I am sacred to stop in fear of him suffering like before but something is obviously wrong. The rash is only on arms, legs, face. It is a cross between chicken pox n hand mouth n foot disease. No sores or puss or itching. No one else whose come n contact with him has it. He is happy! I'm stumped but next em. Appt. available is for 6/14/10. If he starts to fret I'm headed to er but I've since stopped the meds. Is it possible to get disease from vaccination? Can an allergic reaction be resemble something other than hives? Is it possible the combination of all there meds r given so close together? My baby stays home with me n only interacts with teen siblings, not even other kids. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
I just wanted to follow up with you guys about what happened when I took my son to the hospital. His pediatrician told me it was due to a common skin virus. However, I must say I disagree with her on many levels. First, I think an allergy test should have been done, regardless of her opinion of it being harmless. Secondly, if I hadn't had pictures, she had planned on guessing from pictures in a book she had. I had to insist he never be given the medication again. I think parents should use their own common sense. She tried to explain how it was contagious but we didn't get it. Then she said it was because only babies get it. All I know is when I stopped the medication, the rash went away and it got worse with each dose. You know its ok to say you don't know. Even I can make an educated guess, only I don't get paid to do so.
My 5 year old was treat with amoxicillan for an ear infection from teh pediatrician after we finished up she still complained her ear was hurting. I went to a Urgi Center and they gave her Cedifir? (not sure of spelling), she was on that for another week . her last dose was on a thursday, by tuesday she was all red rashed all over, took her to the ped. told  us to give her benedryl every 6 hours and it should go away in a week. it is now sat and she still has them. not a weeek yet but when is this going to stop? it's not getting worse but not cleared up . the rashed come and go in different spots. i carry benedryle with me. 2 trips to the Ped and spoke with the Ped over teh phone. they assured me it's a reaction to the amox. My little one has been on benedryle since tuesday and they tell me it's ok. very fustrated and feel terrible that she is going thru this. it's comforting to knwo that it's very common and i'm not alone
My daughter is 2 and I am going through the same thing. She has hives and a red rash all over her body. Her face started to swell and her eyes were about swollen shut. I took her to the ER and they gave us benadryl and steroids and sent us home with a script to take the steroids for another 2 days and benadryl every 6 hours. She seemed to get worse and worse. I took her to her regular doctor Monday and he also prescribed zantac for her. He also gave us an epi pen as well. We are 4 days now and the symptoms have only gotten worse with time. Does anyone know if this rash will cause any permanent scaring?
I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY HAVEN'T STOP THIS MEDICATION!!!!!!!My son had a mild ear infection last friday the the er doc gave us amox for 10 days.The first two days he thruw it up and the he got the rush all over his chest and belly,his back,arms even in his privet area.The next day he was fine so i thought that it was from his t-shirt even though I havent change the detergent.Today we had a check up with his doctor and the rash came back and when we ask him what can cause it he said a viral infection and that it has nothing to do with his medication.As a disbeliever and second guessing everithing those docters are telling me about my son's health and devolopment I start googling for parents with the same problem and now I am stopping amoxi.My son is fine and he has maybe 2 dozes to take from it but I am not risking.I hope this antibiotic is banned.
What is the proper dosage for a 10 month old that weighs 20lbs. He has a ear infection and the dr gave him 400mg/5ml of amoxicillin twice a day? Is this too high of a dosage?
To everyone giving your child any type of antibiotic (actually, even if you're taking it yourself): Antibiotics generally kill off all bacteria in the body, including the good kind. This is why the most common side effect from taking an antibiotic is a yeast infection- both in boys and girls, and it can also spread beyond the genital area (believe me, I got a yeast infection in my face. worst. thing. ever.) The best thing to do to prevent or counteract this is to take probiotics along with an antibiotic. Most doctors won't tell you this offhand, but if you ask them, they'll agree. For adults, its readily found at any pharmacy- acidophilus and bifidus cultures, the same as found in yogurt (though the capsules are much more potent). For infants, they do carry powdered probiotics, though it's much harder to find (generally you can find it-refridgerated- in a natural grocer) and also much more expensive (it runs about 25 dollars, as opposed to the 'adult' version which will cost you five to ten). Even so, it's worth the cost. It can take your body years to build up a normal level of good bacteria again after a bout of antibiotics-which can lead to many other infections and problems, including reoccuring yeast infections. If your child has a horrible diaper rash that just won't go away-it's most likely a yeast infection. And the nystatin cream is an antifungal, used to treat yeast infections (and other fungal infections)- I'd definitely recommend it, it's helped my child and I out immensely! (She had reoccurring yeast infections for the first three months of her life due to an antibiotic that they put me on when I was breastfeeding, and we just kept giving it back and forth to each other. It always went straight to my face, it was torture!)
Hello everyone,
If you haven't heard by now, you should be getting your children checked by a chiropractor. I am a chiropractor and have always had wonderful results in treating children. Once the CAUSE of the problem is found and corrected, bye bye problem. The amoxicillin doesn't get at the cause. Hope this help
Dr. Vince
484-888-2805
My 2 1/2 yr old son had a sore throat and fever on May 23rd and the dr prescribed Amoxicillin. After the 2nd day my daycare called me and told me my son just woke up from his nap and his face was swollen all around his eyes and he had large patches of hives all over his body, I immediately left work and called my husband as I was on my way to rush my son to the doctor. The doctor said it was an allergic reaction to the medication and told us to stop it immediately. They prescribed Benadryl and Prednisone( steroid) the benadryl was to be taken every 6hrs and steroid once a day for 3 days. It actually got worse after the 1st dose then cleared up a little but would come back when the benadryl wore off but as of this morning he looked almost 100% better and he just had the 3rd dose of the steroid.  Praying it is over because this kills me to see him go through this discomfort!
I, like most of you, have an infant son (1 year old July 7) who has had a reaction to the amox. We took him into the med station on Wed night (the 6th) with a fever 102.6 and they said it was from an ear infection. So they gave us the amox. He'd been on it before, so I didnt think much of it. But then on day 2, the third dose, he broke out in a horrible rash. I didnt even know it was serious, I was actually thinking heat rash, since we were outside. We were having his birthday party in the back yard and I thought woah, what is this rash on his face..and his belly, and back....and a friend asked if he was taking meds and I told her amox...she said call doc and get some benedryl in him right away (ah, yah I sorta panicked) because it could be serious. I called the doc and they said stop the amox, and they called in another antibiotic in for him...but I was very hesitant on filling it because how would I know if he had a reaction to that one while he was reacting to this one??   I never really thought about it...but I am very sensative to any med...so maybe my son will be as well. Pay attention parents...if you have allergies...your kid may also.   Instead of filling the script, I took him back to the doc and had him look at the ear infection, which had pretty much cleared up. He said not to fill the script for the other antibiotic, and to give benadryl as needed, and to give tylenol or motrin for discomfort.  We are on day 3 of the rash and it is not better yet, but after reading all the posts, my hope is that he will soon be better.  It is very scary. Dont let anyone tell you it's not, cuz it is!  Good luck to you all!!
You should all stop giving your children antibiotics for ear infections, it's proven that it doesn't help and the infection will go away on it's own in an equal amount of time, do some research and avoid all these problems!  My kids ages 1 and 3 have been diagnosed collectively with 10 or more ear infections and I have never given either one of them an antibiotic for it, there hearing is fine and they are fine, they always go away!  
Oh, and I agree with the chiropractor, I take my kids regularly.
I wish I had read all these before giving my 5 month old son the Amoxicillin prescribed by the doctor for a throat infection. He has rashes all over that seem to get worse by the minute. Took him to a walk in centre earlier today and the doctor told me it was just heat rash! Now, it's gotten so bad, his whole body is covered with raised red blotches and rashes all over!
If children react so badly to it, I don't understand why doctors still prescribe it.
Thanks to all your posts, at least I know my baby's skin will be back to normal soon.
Hello my daughter is 12 months, on Monday she was seen for her check up, vaccinations, and also for a cold symptoms she had been having for about a week, she was perscribed Amoxicillin, and Ibuprofen. I gave her amoxicillin monday evening and Ibuprofen shortly after and I noticed she threw up. Each time shes had a dose she has thrown up. She has been running a fever ranging from 102 to 105 since Monday also. Long story short after two E R visits the doctor is requesting me to bring her in to see is she is allergic to the Antibiotic.  
ok i just went through this yesterday. my 10 month old daughter Lilli was also treated for an ear infection by taking amoxicillin. On the 9th day of taking it she broke out into a HORRIBLE rash covering her entire body including her scalp under her hair, behind her ears, neck, face, stomach back legs feet EVERYWHERE!!! i was terrified, i took her to the dr and they told me she either had mono or an allergic reaction to the amoxicillin. She showed me in her little book where it says 90% of all patients with mono that then start on amoxicillin will develop a rash all over the body. Well her bloodwork came back she did not have mono she was just allergic to her amoxicillin. They gave me a steroid and an anti itch medicine and today my daughter woke up with the rash being almost gone, i couldnt believe it. But her dr said it will come and go for several days. So if its looking worse now just continue the medication and im sure within a few days your baby will be as good as new!! :) hang in there i know how hard it is to watch your little one suffer!! Hope this comment helped!
I'm going through the same thing. My son is 3 & he had taken Amox. before with no side effects. He was prescribed it again for a cough & ear infection & by the 9th day of use of the medicine, he woke up with bright red, raised, patchy squiggly hives that were hot to the touch & covered his whole body. He scratched them like crazy so we rushed him to the urgent care clinic. The Dr. said it was an allergic reaction to the amox. and to discontinue use & give him benadryl. We used benadryl around the clock & it did not help at all with the itching. He even itched under his hair, it was frightening to look at. It got worse the next day so we rushed him to the ER where the Dr. administered a steroid via IV & gave us a prescription for an oral steroid to continue at home. Around the clock bendaryl still didnt help & we gave him his oral steroids the next day & it got worse. When he woke up his eyes were almost swollen shut, he had a low grade fever, the hives that he was diagnosed with had went away from the treatment the day before of steroids at the ER but came back the next day way worse & all over his face & body (ears, hair, eyelids, genital area, hands, feet, chest, back, arms, legs, face...EVERYWHERE). So we took him back to the ER a second time & they gave him a prescription for Zyrtec since the benadryl wasn't helping. The Dr. said he had an allergic reaction to the amox. and that we had to continue the oral steroids & Zyrtec for the hives, itching & swelling. It's day 5 & hasn't gotten any better. He is swollen, can't stop itching & covered from head to toe in hives still. I'm hoping there's a light at the end of the tunnel. The Dr. said we have to make sure it doesn't turn into Steven Johnson's Syndrome which can be fatal. Very frightening!  
The diaper rash from Amoxicillin is yeast infection and it will go away! My daughter(12 mo) had a rash all over 7 days after she started taking amoxicillin and it went away a couple days afterbi quit giving it to her! Her doctor wants to " challenge" her on the medication again! She is now 15 mo and she just started on it again today!
My 3 year old boy broke out 2 days after taking a 7 day course of amoxicillin for a double ear infection.
I started with small bumps like mosquito bites which soon spread to large red patches that would welt up like a sting from a jellyfish.
It got much worse, we went to the er that evening and they gave him Benadryl. They said it may be a reaction to the meds, to bring him back if he gets facial swelling or gets hard to breath.
He got worse and we went to the pediatrician. He diagnosed it as Erythema Multiforme which is a reaction to the medication not an allergy that will necessarily show up on an allergy screening.
It is the third day now and the red welted areas and red patches are starting to get a more natural color, although he is now complaining that he can't walk due to swollen sore feet.
My advise is to go directly to a healthcare provider as it could be a worse case of this EM called Stevens-Johnson syndrome which can affect the respiratory systems.
Good luck!
My daughter has taken amoxicillin & augmentin for ear infections & also came down with an evil diaper rash & a few bumps on her face. Its been over a month & the diaper rash just won't give up! We have tried bacitracin, a&d ointment, nystatin for yeast, desitin, even neosporin, soaking in oatmeal baths, diaperless air time & nothing will clear it up! Poor baby screams when she pees, when u change her diaper & sometimes just holding her! Today her skin was so raw it was splitting!  :(
My son, whom is about to turn 9, took Amoxacillin for the 1st time this year, and on the 6th day he broke out in rash. When I sent him to school he was fine, then 1 hour after he got to school, the nurse called and told me  I needed to come get him and take him to see his Dr. I went that afternoon to the pediatrician, and they told me he was allergic to penicillin, and to just get OTC benadryl for him. I did just that... The next day the rash was worse then it was before, so I kept him home another day. He felt fine, was running around like a normal 9 year old would...just blotchy. Within the next 2 days his skin had turned back to normal. Now I only got to see the Doctors Aide... he was busy that day. they didnt really run any tests on him, but she said that knowing he was on Amox for 6 days, it ran it course, and by the looks of the type of rash he had, that he had an allergic reaction to it. I have read online in many articles, that some children outgrow the reaction by the time they leave elementary school. If you ask your dr they can do a test for you to find out. Also, there are more options now for an antibiotic then there used to be, so penicillin is not the only choice for children anymore.
On Nov 25th my 6 year old son was complaining that his ear ached so took him to the walk-in and he was given amoxycillin for an ear infection.  I am not a huge fan of antibiotics due to the series of side effects I experienced as a child, and reluctantly filled the prescription.  Two days later i get a call from the school nurse he has blisters all over the inside of his mouth so back to the doctors..now i am told he has coxsackie virus, which does not respond to antibiotic treatment but to continue amoxycillin for the ear infection. He is absolutely miserable with difficulty swallowing and not eating. yesterday morning he wakes up with small bumps on back and neck which started to spread.  i thought it was a symptom of the coxsackie virus but the doctor said it was either a reaction to the amoxycillin or worse it could be mono if it doesnt clear up.  she told me to stop giving him the amox and prescribed something different :( After reading some articles about "amoxycillin rash" and all these posts i feel better.  I went to the health food store yesterday and purchased a probiotic to replenish the good bacteia the antibiotics destroy, some vitamin c and a natural remedy for hives. Today he is feeling much better, his rash is fading and his appetite is back. next visit is to my chiropractor and homeopathic specialist if symptoms persist or reoccur!
My son had the same in August, this year. He was 2 then and was perscribed high dose (250 mg/3 times per day) for ear infection, which actually was not an ear infection, but roseola. I gave hime 7 doses and stopped because of minor rash. 1 week later massive huge welts, swelling, which was gone after  5 days. was very scarry and triggered his eczema this winter.
My son is 11 months and has been takin amoxicillin for 7 days and all of a sudden this morning he has a rash everywhere....the doc said it was just a viral rash since he had a viral infection before but I think its an allergic reaction to the medication...his dads twin is allergic to penicillin...could he possibly be allergic or am I too concerned?
Hi my 15 month old had an ear infection 2weeks ago and our Dr prescribe Amoxicillin and after 7days of using it. I noticed that my Son cheek was red and the ffg day he was unhappy and his nose was runny. Then that night he had a fever of 38.2. But then Monday he started vomitting and coughing, which I know he vomitted because of coughing and its sounds worse. He started to get rash in his face, from head to toe. I took him to ER and they didn't give him anything. What can I do? It looks worse than the other day. It sounds that its an allergic reaction to Med.
Have any adults experienced such reactions?

I just took Amox on January 1st for a sinus infection. And I got really sick that night and the next two days I got more and more blisters all over my body.  I stopped taking the Amox after the first night.  I'm freaking out.  Literally blisters all over, on my face, my scalp, chest, arms, back, legs, everywhere. Its nasty and demoralizing.

I read that severe blistering is a side effect, but I think I'm having a severe allergic reaction to penicillin.

I went to Urgent Care today... Day 3 of this ordeal.  And doctor said he its more than likely an Allergic Reaction and then said but we can't rule anything out.  I was somewhat re-assured but man it's so widespread it has me freaking out a little bit and its ITCHY now.  

Logic states he said, and I agree with him...  if I have never had a blister rash like this before and the day after I take Amoxicillin and I get a severe blister rash all over my body... it therefore must be a very bad allergic reaction to the Amox.

He said I have Vesicles and Pustules.

Vesicles - are a small fluid-filled blister
Pustules - are small, inflamed, pus-filled, blister-like lesions.

He prescribed Prednisone (steroid) and told me NOT to let my mind get the best of me and get all paranoid.  Sure enough it still is, I can't help it, haha.

Does this sound familiar to anyone's symptoms?
I am currently having the same issue with my 5 year old daughter.  on the 7th day of her antibiotic treatments of amoxicillin for tonsilitis she broke out in an itchy rash at school and by the time I discoverd it at home her body was full of red hives.  I took her to the er and the doctor immediately told me to stop the antibiotic.  He gave her a steriod shot and the swelling of her hands and feet started to decrease along with the hives as I administered benadryl.  However, the next day she began to hive up again and her old hives on her arms and legs have left welts that look like bruises.  I am very concerened as well.  Please post if you get an answer sooner than I do.
were your babies hives bumpy or just blochy?
My ten month old started taking amoxicillon for an ear infection and broke out with rash all over his little body. I'm scared to give him any other meds. due to the fact of me being unsure of what other allergic reactions he might have.
Wow now Im worried. My 9 month old has the same rash after finishing his antibiotics two weeks ago . He wasn't at all concerned. ... But now I've read fatal!?!
My one year old just finished a 10 day treatment of amoxicillin for an ear infection and now she has an red rash over her torso, back, and a little around her mouth and she also has another bad diaper rash that takes so long to heal up. the rash over her body doesn't seem to bother her at all, butI was worried so I called the after hours nurse and she basically gave me the run round, but  what I gathered if my baby isn't having difficulty breathing or doesn't seem affected by the rash then I can just keep an eye on her and make sure it doesn't worsen.
My son had an ear infection doctor prescribed  amoxcillin. Two days later notice  rashes all over his body and face too him to hospital doctor say he had a raction to the medication amox.  Tht he may be allergic to penicillin. Dov change the medicine to azithromycin and also gave denedryl
My son is 15 months and was on day seven of a ten day course when he broke out in terrible hives from penicillin. I rushed him to the pediatrician and they gave a steroid prednisone and children's Zyrtec. This was two days ago and it seems to be getting worse. Is it normal for it to get worse before it gets better??? The dr said it will take at least two weeks to clear. My son is very active but has moments of breaking out in tears and nothing calms him down. I've done the luke warm bath and all aveeno baby products. It doesn't look like hives now, they have all connected into one giant red mass...plaque like. Should I take him back to the pediatrician?