Allergy Community
sneezing fit

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

sneezing fit

Everyday when I wake up, I have a sneezing fit.  I work third shift and this occurs in the afternoon when I wake up but it also occurs when I am off and waking up in the morning.  7-10 sneezes, like clockwork.  My eyes are watery, my nose is stuffed up and I feel like I have a fever.  Most days I feel better after being up for about an hour, some days I have to take some Tylenol or ibuprofen.  What the heck is this all about??
Hi, welcome to the forum, you are having allergic response to some unknown allergen. The allergens or triggering factors like dust, fog, pollens etc. can cause the precipitation of these symptoms. These symptoms are exaggerated esp. in winter or cold environment.

Sneezing is a protective reflex which occurs secondary to exposure to the irritant or allergen, which helps to blow out the irritant. In some individuals there will be Airway hyperresponsiveness due which there can be either allergic rhinitis (mild to severe form) or asthma.

There is particular neuronal mechanism exists. When ever you are exposed to allergen there will be release of histamine, this is responsible for sneezing first and then followed by further release of histamine.

You need to identify such allergen and prevent further exposure. Taking anti histamines against prescription will help you. I suggest you to consult ENT specialist or allergy specialist for further evaluation. Take care and regards.
hi,

i used to suffer from the same thinkg, everytime that i get up weather its the morning afternoon or night i have a a sneezing fit, im broncil and so i went and met a ENT specilist, he took a  head scan and found hat i had a nasl septum devaition in da sinus area of my nose that was blocking my air passage, nasal septum devaition is were the bone in ur nose could be slightly deviated or curved in, my ENT recomended that i have a small correction minor surgey , which i did and since then i dont have the sneeze fits, i suggest u meet an ENT and get a full check up,

regards,

Thanks for your responses.  I am just finding this so weird because it mostly happens right when I wake up, whether morning or afternoon.  I feel fine the rest of the day except for some occasional sneezing.  I guess if it gets bad enough I'll have to consult an ENT.  

Thanks again!
Sara
Well I went to the Dr. on Monday.  He gave me a Z-pak and some Singulair.  I'm feeling better already!  Took my last dose of the Zithromax earlier today.  He said my throat was "congested"...swollen glands and all.  I didn't even know!  My throat wasn't even sore!

Anyway, thanks for all the input!