Allergy Community
waking up sneezing, wheezing, and coughing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

When I wake up in the morning I am wheezing and coughing, then as soon as i get up i start sneezing constantly. after i am up for about 15 min everything goes away and am fine. is this a normal allergy symptom? why does it go away after i get up for a few minutes? is there anything i can take before bed that would help for the morning?
thanks
Seasonal allergy results from exposure to airborne substances which can appear only during certain times of the year particularly during spring, summer or fall.
The allergic reaction depends on what you are allergic to.

Pollen is one of the most common causes of seasonal allergy. Usually the immune system does not react to mild substances such as mold and pollen. But if you are sensitive, your body’s defense mechanism detects these allergens as infectious agents and mounts an attack.

The main reason for seasonal allergy symptoms is seasonal allergic rhinitis which is also called as hay fever. When the pollen season is underway the first appearing symptoms are itchy and watery eyes. There may be irritation on the roof of the mouth or in the back of the throat.

These symptoms follow with sneezing and runny nose.  You can experience congestion, wheezing, headaches, and coughing. T he pollen count as well as humidity is high especially in the morning, as a result you can experience these symptoms as soon as  you wake up.

Keep windows closed when the pollen count is high. If possible it is better to use air conditioning. Also keep your home as allergy free as possible.
You can take anti-histamines like Cetrizine at night to prevent this during this season.

ref:http://www.allergyasthmazone.com/airborne-allergies/do-you-have-symptoms-of-seasonal-allergy-here-are-the-tips-to-prevent-it/

DOc,

This is helpful. I live in Wisconsin and flowers and trees are starting to come into their own about this time.  Yesterday I woke up with a slight sore throat, but it more like a sense of pressure on the roof of the mouth and the back of the throat.  I have also had a headache (mild) and my eyes were a little watery - there are times they sting. I also felt some pressure under the eye, sneezed a little and have had some nasal discharge.

Any thoughts on how to deal with this ?
This is likely due to dust mite allergies (or more precisely dust mite feces allergy).

Here are some tips to reduce dust mites in your sleeping area.

Wash your linens at least every two weeks.  Replace your pillows every three months and put your pillows in the dryer on high heat for at least one hour each week.  Have a professional cleaning company that specializes in mattress cleaning come in and clean your mattresses.
Dust your sleeping area regularly.  

You will notice an immediate difference if you follow these steps.
I think that the sensory detectors for allergens are turned off when u sleep. As you're sleeping allergens build up in your nose/throat (mouth). When u wake up, the sensors are turned on, clusters of allergens are there so you start sneezing/coughing like crazy. I think the solution is zyrtec before bed and nasal saline wash as soon as u wake up.