Allergy Community
why do I have a constant dust or smoke smell in nasal passages

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

I have noticed over the past 2 weeks that I have a constant dust or smoke smell in my nasal passages. No one smokes in my home and I have cleaned my house from top to bottom to rid it of any dust. I am just concerned that there might be some underlying problem. The smell can get quite bothersome at times.Please give me any suggestions.
Kindest Regards,
Jackie Brienza
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Without examination it is very difficult to confirm a diagnosis, but the symptoms are suggestive of allergies to smoke or air borne allergies.Other possibilities may be recent sinusitis,nasopharyngeal problems, olfactory hallucination {(phantosmia)you detect smells that are not really present in your environment},viral infections and disorders in the smell perception centres.

In my opinion,a consultation of an ENT specialist or an allergist will be the best.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing and if you have any additional queries.

I too have for the past month smell cigarette smoke all day and night, it's very annoying since I have never smoke and can't stand the smell and do everything possible to stay away from it. I continuely ask everyone around me if they smell cigarette smoke, they are annoyed that I keep asking. I work in a hospital setting so I know there is no smoking inside the building and co-workers around me do not smoke. HELP I HATE THE SMELL.
I have had the exact same thing for the past, maybe, 6 months.  I also have never smoked and work in a smoke free environment.  I started asking people at work if they smelled smoke, called the property manager, as I was suspicious that people were smoking on another floor (illegally), and everyone humored me for awhile, then told me they didn't smell it.  I smell it at home, in the car, and off and on all day.  If I push my nose up, it goes away, so I am thinking it must have something to do with my own nose.   I just googled it, and found this site.  So, an ENT may be the right person to see?   I feel ridiculous, but this is sooo annoying!  
This happened to me about 6 mths ago when a tupperware melted on my stove it lasted about a month. Now I just burnt a grilled cheese sandwich 2 days ago and it's going on again...mine must be smoke caught I my sinuses or nose hairs.
I am surprised and relieved too to find so many people having the same problem as mine. I do not smoke myself but, last month when some friends came over to my house, they smoked. Though they had been in my house only for an evening, I cannot get rid of this smoke smell everywhere around myself. At first I thought something was burning or somebody smoking in the neighbourhood, but after I found nothing of the sort, I understood that this smoke and burning smell is only within my respiratory tract. Whats the solution? Its killing me!!
I too have found that I constantly smell dust or smoke. Did anyone have a solution?
Has anyone found a solution to this annoying constant smell of smoke and dust in the nose?  It has been going on for a couple of months now.