Alternative Medice
I will also ask my local doctor; is it safe for me to drink tumeric tea for my back pain?
I dont know about tea but I use turmeric a lot on my food, I am told its very good for you, its spicy, maybe I will try it .in tea..
I wouldn't, it's a very hot herb.  Best bet is to buy the caps standardized for circumin.  And it's best to combine things, no one thing is that strong naturally.  Don't know what is causing your back pain, but things to try are glucosamine and chondrointin sulfate, ginger, devil's claw, boswellia, proteolytic enzymes such as bromelain, and some exercise program, either from a physical therapist or chiropractor or massage therapist, someone who can stretch the vertebrae and balance the energy.  Good luck.
Also, remember, using it on food is great for taste and it'll still have antibacterial effects, but most of the beneficial properties are destroyed in the cooking process.