Alternative Therapies Community
Alternative med for Allergies

WELCOME TO THE ALTERNATIVE THERAPIES COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Acupuncture, Aromatherapy, Biofeedback, Chelation Therapy, Chinese Medicine, Dance-Movement Therapy, Medical Marijuana, Feng Shui, Heliotherapy, Reflexology, Unani, Vitamin Therapy, and Yoga Therapy.

Alternative med for Allergies

Would you have a suggestion for an altenative to the OTC meds Benedryl, zyrtec etc they have side effects on me , I have had bad allergies this year more than I have ever done, sneezing, nose drip, worst of all continuus sore itchy eyes ,I have moved in the a rural area and I am surrounded by trees so I know the cause ,but dont know how to get some relief.We are in well over 100 dgree heat at presant and that doesnt help. What Herb or alternative med  would give me a bit of relief, ..Thanks ....
Marg, I sent you two pdf files on allergies it's part 1 and 2
Many things to try, none guaranteed.  If it's tree pollen, which would be odd this time of year, you can try a homeopathic remedy called, ironically, tree pollen by BioAllers.  It's a liquid.  Helps me if I remember to take it on time during tree pollen season.  A product called sinus ease by Nature's Life helps, though I think I've overused it over the years.  It's your basic bromelain, quercitin, vitamin C combo.  Freeze dried nettle leaf is another antihistamine, as is scutellaria, or Chinese skullcap.  Good luck, allergies can be hard.  And don't complain about the heat, we've got the nineties and near 100 here and it's also humid and full of mosquitoes, so you're in paradise.
"Helps me if I remember" pax. did you forget to take your ginkgo?? LOL
hahah you are a pair of cards , I will check for the info you have sent my Gym..and also grab some of the items Pax mentions , I just dont remember a year like it.but then I have not been in a rural area for many moons thanks guys ...PS we had a storm last night but its as humid as ever ...and over 100 again Yuck
For allergy I have been taking cordycepts for the last week or 10 days. I definitely see an improvement, but I might just be going through a good period.(unlikely with torrid temperatures and plenty of humidity). My doctor is a big fan of this supplement which has additional benefits.
Allmymarbles, you might consider adding reishi to the cordyceps.  It's another mushroom and helps some with asthma.  And Margy, it's not a bad idea for you -- cordyceps is a good adaptogen as well.  Margy, are you still in Santa Barbara?  And it's humid?  Weather's getting weird.
Pax no not Santa Barbara ...under the foothills in between San Diego and LA  ...its was 106 yesterday , I have never heard of cordycepts I am going to Sprouts today for the wonderful and expensive gel they have for skin as I am also breaking out in Hives ....lol  thank you for that info allynmarbles I will try it out I dont know if its the air in my house but I wake with a running nose , sneezing,and I have a really sexy voice ...I assume it because I am surrounded by palm trees , cactus , all kinds of stuff I dont even know .the name of,. but ..I love this area , I have all round views , I am also right under the foothills ...Bugs I never saw so many ....LOL Nice though very beautiful   Gymdandee I got your info in 2 parts am wading through it in fact going to print it out .
I don't know where I got the idea you lived near Santa Barbara.  Where you live makes more sense -- more in line with your politics and such.  In fact the birthplace of many of them.  I grew up in LA and the Valley, so yeah, I know the weird fauna and flora.  Most of those plants were imported, since not much grows there naturally, but it is odd it would cause you allergies.  I'm voting on the dust, personally -- I had allergies all my life, but a lot had to do with smog and my parents' smoking.  My brother had asthma.  What I don't understand is you say it's humid -- now that's odd!  I'm so jealous -- stuck here on the East Coast.  Though I'd head to northern Cal, not southern -- spent my last few years in the north.  Cooler, prettier, less smog, fewer people.  But should be nice where you are once you get used to it.  Watch the tarantulas and black widow spiders and snakes and coyotes and look for the horned toads, assuming they haven't all been killed off.
A fellow New Yorker who has serous asthma, and who was taking all sorts of stuff for it, moved to Colorado and now takes - nothing. For asthmatics the desert is the best place to be. My children were brought up in Tehran (elevation 6,000 feet, 7.5 inches of rain yearly, and almost no humidity.) One year we vacationed in India and in Delhi my little son had trouble breathing and we had to carry him. The doctor said it was asthma. We returned to Iran. No symptoms. He spent a month in sea-level Israel with a little friend from school - asthma. Back to Tehran - nothing. Fortunately he outgrew the condition. It is fairly common to have childhood asthma in my family. However, I am the only adult with asthma.
I dont think its usually this humid, its the first time I have experienced it this humid , we have had it for a week and well over 100 degree temps....we do have a lot of Palm trees and cactus which incidently give me hives there is no doubt that the hills I am near contribute full of vegetation we get that afternoon wind blows everything down on us..The views are worth it though  if you can take the bugs ,snakes and roaming dogs . and never mind the ants in your pants ...LOL  yup it beats surburbia
Further to my post of the 16th, I really think the cordycepts is helping. After I quit the toxic Advair and switched to natural treatments, all was well except that I was using my albuterol nebulizer more often - not a good idea, but little choice in the matter. I was up to three ampules a day, from two, and now am back down to two. Also I don't lurch out of bed in the morning to get to my nebulizer. I can think of nothing other than cordycepts that could have brought about this improvement.
You said you quit Advair & switched to natural treatments.  Could I ask what you switched to in addition to coryceps?  I've tried quitting Advair before & am so short of breath it's hard to function.  Naturopath tried several different herbs/combinations to cut the congestion that makes my asthma worse, never found one that worked.  Now, I'm trying Respitrol, with lobelia & cayenne tinctures for asthma attacks.  Seems to help, but not totally.  Have been taking for a week, and have cut my Advair use back to every other day, trying to wean myself off it.  My asthma is worse when I have a cold, and I find that if I take Claritin D every day, asthma is much better, but would like to get away from taking that also if I can find natural alternatives that work.
Thank you!
Much has evolved in my treatment. A big step forward was getting ride of Candida albicans. This is a fungus which feeds on prednisone, inhaled steroids, antibiotics, sugars and starches. It sorsens (and sometimes causes) allergies and asthma. I take Lugol's solution 5% to kill off candida. The anti-inflmatories I recommend you try are B6, ashwagandha, mullein, C, boswellia, marshmallow. bromelain, ginger, turmeric, cayenne, and on and on... Add only one every two weeks so that you can know which work for you and which don't.

I have fairly severe COPD and do not have to use steroids or prednisone - ever.