Alternative Therapies Community
Should I Be Trying this

WELCOME TO THE ALTERNATIVE THERAPIES COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Acupuncture, Aromatherapy, Biofeedback, Chelation Therapy, Chinese Medicine, Dance-Movement Therapy, Medical Marijuana, Feng Shui, Heliotherapy, Reflexology, Unani, Vitamin Therapy, and Yoga Therapy.

Should I Be Trying this

Alright so i had tried weed before but i didnt want to get into, so i stayed away from it usually. For the last few weeks though ive been really depressend and feeling anxiety. My diet changed and i was having trouble sleep at night and then i would sleep in the next day, and when i would stand up after sitting down for more than like 15 min. it would feel like everthing when black for a min and i cant see and i get dizzy and then it goes away. I had started smoking cigarettes for stress but i hated that. I didnt really think about it much intill i smoked again and everything went away, i didnt smoke much but it made my whole day better so ive been trying that and it seems to help a lot but then when i when to look up what might be going on the first thing i found was depression and my symptoms fit it completly. and i no longer feel the need for a cig. So my question is Does it sound like depression and if i continue to smoke a little will that hurt me in the long term.
"will that hurt me in the long term"
Yes! your Brain for one thing!!
The research on marijuana is voluminous, unlike most natural substances, because of the politics -- since mostly counter-cultural types use it, the conservatives, which is most people, have been trying to keep it banned since the early 20th century (then, the problem was it was used mostly by African-Americans, and white people didn't want them questioning things).  So there's a lot of biased research both ways here, by those who want it legalized and those who want to keep it illegal.  Makes it impossible to find reliable info, but with all the research done on it, they still haven't come up with any scientific consensus of harm, and you'll notice there's not problem at all with synthetic THC even though it has lots of side effects, but it's a pharmaceutical product so no problem.  However, that being said, people react to it differently.  For most depressed and anxious people it tends to drive them more inward and makes it worse, or brings it out of people who were building up to that problem.  So generally it isn't something recommended for depression or anxiety.  If it works for you, that says something, but remember, it also gets you stoned, and you can't perform as well stoned as you can not stoned.  Regular use will also tend to make you gain weight possibly because it increases appetite for many, and most daily users become pretty lazy and a bit addled.  Those who use it medicinally don't get those effects as often mainly because they don't try to get that stoned, but it's something to consider.  There are many relaxant herbs and supplements and anti-depressant herbs and supplements out there to try, but it is hard to find something that works, even with medication, so far be it from me to tell anyone what to do when they find something that seems to work.
I smoked pot once in my life (last year) to find out what everyone was talking about and to see if it helped my asthma. It didn't seem to have an effect on me and I didn't like the smell. But it certainly soothed my asthma! You can now buy medicinal pot in New Jersey, but not for asthma.

The grandkids thought my smoking a hoot, especially as I was joined by my 85-year-old older brother (who also hadn't used pot before either). He was as unimpressed as I was.
I have to go back a long way for this, since I haven't even seen any for thirty years (well, I've seen it, but you know what I mean), but it seldom works the first time. I don't know why, but it doesn't.  Didn't for me, and that was a very very long time ago.  But I don't know why you would want to smoke it for asthma -- incomplete burning of anything isn't so good for asthma.  If it has any benefit for that, I'd think you'd want to cook it into something and eat it, which is what many or most people do who use it medicinally.  It takes slower to act that way, but it's stronger when it does.  
I used a hookah, but there is another way you can use pot, which is supposed to be very pure. I think it is some sort of vaporizer. I looked it up at the time, but have since forgotten the details. My children also told me that pot has little or no effect the first time you use it. They tried it out in college, just like almost everyone else, and, like you, have lost interest in it. It is interesting that our famous New York mayer, Fiorello LaGuardia, who held office in the 40's, did not think pot harmful and said the ban on it was stupid since it couldn't be enforced anyway. A rarity in politicians, LaGuardia was completely incorruptible.
Yea that was my hardest problem finding good info on it. You have half the stuff from the government saying youll die or something if you smoke it, and then the other half are stoners who want to be able to be trashed all the time. And most forums are full of stoners or people saying im stupid for trying it.
But for me it seems to be working, the other day i tried to not smoke all day and i couldnt do it. Ive also been losing weight and i feel like i have more energy (or maby i just feel better so i feel like i should do something) so those side affects dont seem to be a problem.
Im also only smoking a bowl at a time as needed and then more at 2ish when i go to sleep.
But thanks for the real advise it helps a lot to know that there are some people that can see both sides of this issue.
A vaporizer is the medically aproved way to smoke pot. Ive tried it and its very nice and it gives you a different high that would be better for someone using it for medical reasons. For me though they really expensive so i just make my own stuff.
I still wouldnt do it for asthma but if you were to smoke for that this would be the way to go.
And my first time smoking it didnt effect me, and i think its sort of a mental thing, partly because you dont know what to expect so you shut out the full effects.
Using a hookah is one of the harshest ways to smoke pot in my opinion.
And now that ive been doing it for a while i love the smell cause i know it means ill feel better soon.
hey if you gonna post on a medical forum you should know a little about what your talking about.
It is obvious you are totally against pot. But, then, you don't have asthma.
Sorry. I sent this to you by mistake. I meant it for gymdandee.