Angina Community
Air bubble on the heart

WELCOME TO THE ANGINA COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to: Causes, Complications, Diagnosis, Living With Issues, Prognosis, Research, Risk Factors and Treatment of Angina.

Air bubble on the heart

A friend of mine told me that while he was at the drs he was told that he had an air bubble on his heart and was told that thee is nothing that can be done about it and that it will kill him.  How true can that be?  He originally went to the dr and the prognosis was his smoking is causing his lung and coughiing problem and that he had a slight case of bronchitis and when the dr sent him to get xrays that's where they saw the bubble.  Can you help answer the air bubble question for me as soon as possible?  He is worrying thinking that it is going to kill him.  Please help so that we can put a closure to this
There is a bubble test (bubble is put in the blood stream) that determines whether or not there is a hole the wall between the right and left chambers.  With most individuals the hole closes after birth, but for some poeple it doesn't close.  The condition causes blood to flow from left to right chambers (called shunting) with going into circulation.  Often the condition is not serious and can go untreated, but if serious the hole can be patched with cath procedure (minimal intervention).
Man o man was that ever a scary post.....i think someone may have been given a little of mis information or was not explained to your friend where he/she completely understood what was really going on.  Generally medically speaking when we talk about an air bubble it is called an embolism or an air bubble in the system.  It travels thru out our body and yes can be dangerous but this is the first i have heard of a bubble on the heart.  The heart is just like any other part of your body...you can physically touch it and it would be medically impossible or a bubble to just sit on the heart.  There in my opinion is no way that any doc worth anything would ever tell anyone of his/her patients that they are going to die from it and there is nothing that they can do...it just doesn't work like that my friend and with embolisms there is alot they can do to get rid of it. A normal x ray could not possibly determine is someone has an embolism because there is a very specific test that has to be done for that and requires in most cases hospital stays ...they don';t take chances believe me.  I think quite possibly your friend misunderstood what was said to him/her because there is no way a doc will let you leave a hospital with something that serious.....you may want to find out how much your friend really trusts you and ask them if they mind if you call the doc he/she saw to try to get a more real picture here....i hate to say it and never do but something doesn't sound right here to me...try to get more information carly.....something just doesn't sound right with what your friend told you...call the doc for them to get the real story if you can and tell them that you are seriously worried about your friend...good luck Carly and let us know how it workds out for you......