Angina Community
At my wits end

WELCOME TO THE ANGINA COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to: Causes, Complications, Diagnosis, Living With Issues, Prognosis, Research, Risk Factors and Treatment of Angina.

At my wits end

Hi Folks,

Once again, I took off to the ER for chest pain last night.  This seems to becoming quite the biannual routine unfortunately.  Yesterday, from about 10am until 5pm I had a dull ache under my left breast.  Nothing helped.  Antacids, NSAIDS, rest, nothing.  So I went to the ER where they performed a chest x-ray, EKG, and took multiple tubes of blood to test for this that and the other.  An hour later doc tells me that all the tests were normal and although I am “At low risk, you are not at no risk” (I am 40 years old by the way) He then insisted that I get a stress test within 72 hours.  I had a Thallium Stress Test a few years ago and it was normal, so I suspect he is so adamant merely to cover his rear end.  After all, if he really thought it was serious, why not just admit me and have the Cardiologist evaluate me in the morning?  Anyway, I am at my wits end with all of this.  I have been dealing with this left sided dull ache for going on 4 years now and just when I think it is gone it comes back and ruins my day.  Does this sound like Angina or cardiac related pain?  What does Angina feel like / location?  For what it is worth there are no other associated symptoms such as pain radiating or anything like that.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,      
Hi there!

Well, it is very difficult to rule out angina based on symptoms alone. Since the primary tests have been fine and there is no immediate threat to life, you were probably not kept in the hospital. However to be certain about the probability of angina in the situation, the stress test is advised. I would probably agree with the doctor in seeing a cardiologist at your earliest convenience and getting a stress test done to be on the safer side.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!