Angina Community
I N R Meters vs Insurance CO.

WELCOME TO THE ANGINA COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to: Causes, Complications, Diagnosis, Living With Issues, Prognosis, Research, Risk Factors and Treatment of Angina.

I N R Meters vs Insurance CO.

how is it that Blue Cross has no providers for INR Meters ?  Cougucheck is not on their list of "providers".  Is BC/BS so far behind the times or am I dealing with someone there who just doesn't know ??  Who knows how to get through the insurance company nightmare to get one of these meters ?
Hi i read your post....the easiest way to get around this with Blue Cross (they are my insurers too) is to get your doc to give you a prescription for it and then call Blue Cross and tell them you want to fax in the "script" to them because you doc says you need one and then they'll pay for it.  If you are a diabetic which i assume you are it is madatory that you do you sugar level checks at home because we all know what happens if you levels go unchecked.  Not good.....soooo.....call your doc tell them what you are up against and need that prescription and you should be good to go.  B/C balks at any little thing that isn't ordered for usage by the doc and this i found is the fastest way around the red tape and they should have told you that at the B/C offices...go figure huh?  Good luck my friend and welcome to the site.....
when speaking of INR meters.. what does ti have to do with Diabetes? Isn't INR the ratio in which blood clots and this test is used to monitor levels in those people who take blood thinners? As for insurance companies...if your doctor personally calls your insurance carrier and discusses the neccessity of this meter, you may have a better chance at getting it approved. I have had many things approved by BC/BS that were declined up front. Try it.
Hi Kim... INR meters are used by diabetics for testing and you are right here the anticoagulant  timetables for the blood or clotting equation.  People who are diabetics use the meters because they are in such a higher risk group for DVT or clots because of the disease and are unfortunately more prone to blood clots because of the stickiness of the platelets in their blood.  It is an amazing tool for anyone who is a diabetic to use at home so that they don;t have to run back and forth to the lab a couple of times a week to be tested to ensure that they are within a safe range.  As we all know blood clots being thrown can lead to a heart attack or stroke so prevention i guess is the word of the day.  I agree with you Kin about having the doc call in or one of their office personnel if you can get them to do it and i always say the sqeaky wheel gets the grease on this one.  Insurance companies can be super difficult to deal with and if it were me i would do whatever i could to try to get an at home test because the INR's have been known to run into thousands of dollars even tho they save lives....great post Kim....you made me use my brain on that one....thank you and i hope to see you post again......  
She would have to have something to back up the NEED for the INR meter. If she is taking a blood thinner where regular INR testing is  necessary, then the approval may be granted. But as for IF she is a diabetic and not on a drug such as Coumadin , I doubt that they would look at that favorably. Yes, diabetics are more likely to get blood clots but you have to have the reason for it to back it up. Example: a PET scan is NOT normally (most companies)covered to diagnose Sarcoidosis...BUT they found in a patient to have a couple enlarged lymph nodes(which almost everyone has).. so they request a PET scan to rule out Lymphoma...(which they already know the patient does not have) and wow.. it was approved. The PET scan also showed the patient did not have Sarcoidosis either. You must show the NEED first.
Sherryf, you did not mention why the need for an "at-home" meter...why is it, may I ask?