Angina Community
Is this angina?

WELCOME TO THE ANGINA COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to: Causes, Complications, Diagnosis, Living With Issues, Prognosis, Research, Risk Factors and Treatment of Angina.

Is this angina?

I am a 57 year old male. For 3 years I have been getting a twinge in my upper left chest which then leads to what feels like slight to moderate tightening of my muscles from my left neck above my collarbone and sometimes down to my left hand. Sometimes it is in my upper left chest closer to the sternum.  The discomfort can last for minutes or hours and can occur walking up the steps, teaching at the blackboard or even while I am sitting or just walking on a flat service.  Over the last week this phenomena has become at least a daily event.  The trapezoid muscle on the left side of my neck feels very tight and I have pain turning my head to the left.   Over the years I have taken 2 echo stress tests which showed no signs of ischemia. The latest was in August 2012.  Yesterday, I had this phenomena after walking up a flight of stairs but later in the day, I walked up 5 flights with no problem.  Over the counter analgesics like Advil or Tylenol can sometimes ease the symptoms.  Could this be caused by my cervical spondylyosis, herniated disc c3-4 and bulging c4-c5, c5- c6 and c6 -c7?    Or should I get my heart checked again?
Hi there!

This does not typically sound like angina, though a stress test may still be considered to rule out the same. Other possibilities that may need to be considered include muscle spasm/ sprain, chest wall inflammation, GI motility issues etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by a primary care physician/ internist initially and depending on the cause diagnosed/ suspected, it can be managed accordingly or specialist care may be sought.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!