Angina Community
Left Arm Pain Concern

WELCOME TO THE ANGINA COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to: Causes, Complications, Diagnosis, Living With Issues, Prognosis, Research, Risk Factors and Treatment of Angina.

Left Arm Pain Concern

I am a 50 year old male. A brief history. I have recently been diagnosed with IBS -c  with hepatic flexure syndrome, I control the pain with Bentyl daily. I also have acid reflux, and osteoarthritis. My family has a history of stroke. I have had an abundance e of tests in the last year – colonoscopy, endoscopy, CT and MRI of neck and brain, couple of ecgs (most recent August 1st of this year). I have had a couple of visits to ER with chest pains in Feb of this year) and suspected stroke (my gp called it a TIA). All tests were normal. I have taken avapro for high blood pressure and  Lipitor for cholesterol for the past 10 years.

My concern is left arm pain located on the inner part of my upper arm. This pain can happen at any time can be sharp or a dull ache. There is no chest pain or shortness of breath with the pain. Can this pain be heart related?
It could be however in the absence of symtoms (symptoms) along with it and no real history of heart issues it may be doubtful.. The symtoms (symptoms) for a males heart attack are very very specific...i am sure that has run thru your mind... this could be anything that is muscular, tendon, or even artery related because it is on the inside of the arm.  Some of our main arteries and veins run thru that area of our body..it could be something as simple as the way that you sleep at nite, could be repetitive movement of the upper arm, could actually be referred pain from the arthritis coming from the joints in the shoulder or elbow especially with the cold weather coming on.The great news is that it is apparent that you breezed the majority of your tests.....and that your doc is very proactive with your health...at fifty years old its time to do something for you rather than totally focusing on the bad and try to concentrate on the positive which you seem to have alot of .  Granted you have a couple of issues going on but it sounds like the doc has them under control.  The main thing at this juncture to me would be to keep your blood pressure under control so that you don;t have future issues with stroking out because at age fifty that is just way too young. I would not worry about it....there is nothing on this earth like a male with heart problems and the symtoms (symptoms) that come with it....good luck and if you are still a little worried i would just call the doc to give them a heads up....
Thanks so much for your response. I try not to be paranoid but after the past year and the roller coaster of health it is hard not to be. Your positive comments are very helpful!!!

Thanks Again