Angina Community
Margie117

WELCOME TO THE ANGINA COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to: Causes, Complications, Diagnosis, Living With Issues, Prognosis, Research, Risk Factors and Treatment of Angina.

Margie117

I have a very strong smell of cigarette smoke in my nasal passages. It gets in to the back of my throat which makes me want to cough. I do not smoke. could there be a medical reason for this

Nov 22- 2012
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? What other symptoms are present? This could be due to an impairment of  the olfactory function such as parosmia or phantosmia. Parosmia causes the inability of the brain to recognize the natural smell of a particular odor.  While phantosmia refers to the perception of smell when there is no scent or odor presented. Parosmia may be attributed to upper respiratory tract infections, head trauma, temporal lobe epilepsy, and Parkinson’s disease. It is best that you have this checked by an ENT doctor for proper evaluation. Direct clinical examination and further diagnostic tests may need to be done. Take care and do keep us posted.