Anorexia, Bulimia & Binge Eating Expert Forum
Blood in vomit/spit
About This Forum:

Questions in the Anorexia, Bulimia, Binge Eating Forum are being answered by Dr. Patricia Pitts, PhD, a Clinical Psychologist from The Bella Vita Program - CA.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Blood in vomit/spit

Okay, so to begin I'd like to start off with saying that I've been bulimic since I was in 6th or 7th grade. I'm currently 17, and recently (about a month ago) I've tried to get over my bulimia and stop vomiting. This is because about a month ago I vomited blood and it really affected me physically and psychologically - I was really bothered by it and I think I've finally "woken up" to what I've been doing. Unfortunately I can already tell that my attention is starting to focus more on strictly watching my eating habits rather than eating whatever I want and throwing it up later, but that's not why I'm here.

To get to the point - I have not been throwing up intentionally, but twice since last month I've thrown up (I honestly don't know what caused it) and both times there was a visibly noticeable amount of blood in it, not just a reddish tinge (I'd say about a tablespoon was there, more or less). The past few days I've also been spitting up blood (although not as much as when I vomit) and I'm getting more worried as time goes on, so I decided to try and research it a bit on my own and ask others for help. My question is, do I have a Mallory Weiss tear? Is it serious? Do I need to see a doctor, etc. or will this heal on its own over time? The only reason I'm so apprehensive about seeing a doctor and would rather ask here first is that I know it would kill my mother if she knew about this, and I'm afraid of her finding out.

Thank you for reading. =)