Anxiety Disorder User Group
Anxiety and socialization
About This Group:

Suffering from frequent panic attacks? You're not alone.

Founded by Heather271223 on September 24, 2009
203 members

Anxiety and socialization

Hello..new here. I was wondering if anyone suffers from anxiety and finds themselves becoming more and more "house bound"...almost afraid to get out of the house?  This has started happening to me, and it is not a good feeling.  I am newly retired, was always outgoing. Now that I am hom and alone...I find myself just getting worse with anxiety and hybernating!  I would be interested in knowing if anyone has ever felt this, and what you did to help the situation?  There are no support groups for anxiety/depression in my area.  Only one on one therapists.
yes yes and yes again...1000 times...im 26 i get these weird strange feelings and i isolate myself 2 the point where i dont even leave my home 4 nuthing unless it was an appointment or food..i want to ask u though what kinds of symptoms do u experience while ur anxiety/depression kick in? And in ur Mind Why do u think its happening at that specfic moment..?
sky789; Nov3 2012    I am fifty nine new to this group, just want to tell you that I have the same problem. It is not a very nice feeling and people that do not have anxiety do not have any idea how it feels . I hope you find a doctor who can help you.  Have a good day;  Thinking of you.
It is a struggle, the way I help myself is if I am able to go out it is with friends and just stay occupied, when your chatting about stuff it helps keep your mind off things, it helps me   Thoughts and prayers go out to you!!
Yes!! I am 25 and just went through a HORRIBLE breakup. I now have severe Anxiety. My hands start to sweat BADLY when i am out in public, i get sick to my stomach and my face and eyes start to tingle. I have always been a social person, outgoing, loud, and funny...now i get sick in public and cant even handle going to a friends house for too long with out having a major panic attack. The worst part is i hate being home too...i hate being alone but when people are with me i am instantly uncomfortable. It is hard to deal with and i wish you the best. Lord knows im trying to figure it out too:/
Hi!

I have the same thing. What I do that helps me is to "go out anyway", even feeling awful about it. Because I need to work, and need to study, if I stop I'll feel even worst. So I rush to get things done and come back home, that I feel is a safe place. When I have to go somewhere that is too far, I do everything I can to not have to sleep out (even if that means traveling for hours in the same day).

So, I go, even when I don't want to. I just do it, bear with it, and come back. Sometimes, I actually get to enjoy it for some things (usually when I get some time alone, in a garden or a library). I try to remember this moments, before getting out.

I know this is wrong, but that is the way I'm handling it. I get all tensed and stressed, but I feel "a least I went and did it", after all.

But I think that is a good thing to seek professional help if you keep feeling this way for too long. I do counseling and take medications, I don't feel 100%, but I think they help me to keep going.

I hope this helps!
For you unfortunate souls who are experiencing anxiety or panic attacks, the first thing you need to do is see a psychiatrist, not a general practitioner. It's important to determine the underlying cause of your anxiety. some forms of anxiety are purely physiological, while others are brought on by depression, traumatic experiences, social settings etc... It is also a good idea to seek a second opinion. I have general anxiety, without depression. The first doctor that treated me prescribed anti-depressants. This is a horrible idea if you do not suffer from depression, because if you are not depressed, you will be after taking these types of meds and the anxiety attacks are unaffected.

In my case, my body failed to produce enough GABA to put a buffer on the adrenaline dumps. I dropped my first doctor and found one who prescribed Xanax, while slowly weening me from the anti-depressants. Since then, I am happy, take my medication only when I feel the symptoms coming on, and have less frequent attacks. I have been treated since 2005 and used to take three 2mg tablets daily to control anxiety and severe panic attacks. Now, I only take one or two tablets per week.
breezytoo uploaded new photos
breezytoo commented on photo
breezytoo feeling much better. Comment