Burning Sensation In Both Palms
Hello
I’m a 49 year old male in good health --- not diabetic and clean blood work including negative for RA Factor, very low CRP and Sed Rate.   Rest of bloodwork (CBC) all looks normal as well.

I’ve been experiencing a pain in both of my palms (more like a burning sensation) that comes and goes during the day but is generally more painful at night.  The pain is located below my thumbs in the fleshy area of the palm called the Abductor Pollicis Brevis area.   (I’ve obviously been researching this too much to know all these terms!!)
I’m assuming I must have Osteoarthritis as I have Herberden Nodes on the DIP joints of both little fingers.   I also feel stiffness in the PIP joints of the middle fingers of both hands.  

I was concerned this might be rheumatoid arthritis but with my blood work all being normal and I feel great I think it’s likely something else.  

Any idea what could be causing this pain in what looks to be the Thenar Eminence area of my palms.   Could this be due to Osteoarthritis or I’ve read about something called Tenosyvitis?
Hello and Welcome.

For our members that may not know, the abductor pollicis brevis is a muscle in the hand that functions as an abductor of the thumb. Abduction of the thumb is defined as the movement of the thumb anteriorly, actually away from the rest of the digits.

If you've been reading and researching your SX (symptoms) you must have ran across this PubMed study:

"Referred pain patterns of the abductor pollicis longus resemble the C6, 7, and 8 dermatomes, the superficial radial sensory nerve distribution, and are very similar to the area of pain experienced in de Quervain's tenosynovitis. Thus, identification of the abductor pollicis longus trigger point should be considered in pain of the radial aspect of the wrist and thumb, especially when no other neurologic abnormalities or inflammatory conditions are present."

The above conclusion was found following a "test" to determine referred pain patterns of the Abductor Pollicis Brevis area.  

Burning in the Abductor Pollicis Brevis - like all burning pain is most likely related to inflammation, irritation or both of which can cause compression of the nerves in that area. This usually is due to overuse - if not now than at some point.

Tenosynovitis is the inflammation of the synovium that surrounds a tendon.
The synovium is a fluid-filled sheath. That's also a possibility as your research indicates - but that usually is not a burning pain. Tenosynovitis is normally due to a bacteria that has entered that sheath surrounding the tendon. Did you have a puncture injury or laceration to the area - even a small one? It only take a tiny break in the skin to introduce bacteria into our system - in the case of Tenosynovitis, penetrating into the tendon sheath.

Either condition, especially the Tenosynovitis can cause pain to the surrounding structures. Your pain does not fit the norm of osteoarthritis - but I'm far from a physician and that's the medical professional that will have the right answers for you.

I encourage you to consult your PCP - or an ortho that specializes in hands. Obviously we can't DX (diagnosis) you.

I'm sorry for your pain and hope you can find answers. Please keep in touch and let us know what you discover, I'll look forward to hearing more from you.

Take Care,
~Tuck
Sorry. I meant to add that you should consider seeing a neurologist too. They are the best at treating nerve disorders or injuries.

Please let us know how you are doing.

~Tuck