Arthritis Community
Enbrel and Pregnancy

Enbrel and Pregnancy

I was diagnosed with Severe RA in 1999 and was prescribed Enbrel.  I've been on it 2 times a week since then and have very good luck with it.  No side effects and have to take no other medications with it, besides Vicodin when I have a flare up or severe pain.  I'll be getting married this October and am curious to know if any woman out there have gotten pregnant and given birth while on Enbrel.  
Congrats on the engagement!  This is an exciting time for you.  I am sure you are interested in the unique challenges you may face in starting a family.  
While I cannot speak from personal experience, I can say there have been very few studies in this area.  So far, the one I have read indicate there were not any birth defects from taking enbrel during pregnancy.  There is a lot of information on the web and personal stories as well as posts from people with MD at the end of their names.  Most of what I have read has indicated that most women take it until they are ready to try to conceive or all the way to confirmation of conception.  I did not find any accounts of women who were on Enbrel through delivery, but I am sure there are a couple out there.  I suggest you talk to your OB/Gyn and your rheumy and then decide what you want to do based on their advice.  Let us know what you decide to do and know that we will be here to support you in everything.
I ended up taking a few shots while I was pregnant(didn't know it) My daughter was born with a birth defect and thats the only drug I was on (enbrel). They say there hasn't been enough studies. but I'm hoping to get the word out there! Don't chance it! I can't begin to go over the battles we have been through with our little girl. best luck to you.