How long before all effects of methotrexate will leave the system
I have been taking methotrexate for 7 years and stopped taking it 3 weeks ago.  I am wondering how long it takes before my system is totally clear of all methotrexate and any effects it may have on the system.

This discussion is related to About how long does it take for Methotrexate to leave a person's system?.
I am not able to find a documented answer to this excellent question.  For an official answer, I suggest you speak to your doctor or pharmacist.  My guess is, because it takes time to build up in your system and because you can reap the benefits of the injections for 1-2 months after you stop treatment, Ithat it extends beyond that time frame.  I have seen some documentation recommending you wait 6 months after quitting MTX before conceiving so I think that the answer may lie there.  Again, a doctor or pharmacist would need to be consulted for an official answer.
When I was on methotraxate a few years ago, before a doctor decided I just had fibromyalgia (he was wrong) and he told me to stop the DMARDs, I think that I stopped the drugs around the end of may, and then by about the middle of august, just about all of my problems recurred. I think that we might be able to solve this though in the next couple of months. I also was on methotrexate again and I also stopped taking it around april 1. right now, I am feeling a little bit more achy, but not enough to think it is the result of stopping the MTX. But if your symptoms recur, or my symptoms recur to a point that I think it is from stopping MTX, were should post back in to say the symptoms have recurred. It's a really small sample, but posting back in could provide a bit of info for others who have wondered the same thing. I really hope that my symptoms don't recur to the point they were before starting back on MTX, but if they do, I'll know with certainty when it occurs.
agreed.  I have been off MTX for almost 7 months now.  So far, I am doing ok but I am still taking my plaquenil.
I think that the MTX effects are gone for me now. I can't barely ben my elbows and my shoulders and wrists are following suit. I've been in bed all day, :( So, looks like the delay for me has been from april until july, so, 3-4 months.
I am sorry to read you are suffering.  Are you going to be able to start MTX again?
I have an appointment for this coming tuesday to discuss it with my dr. Oh yay. 3 hour drive each way. I hope it isn't a wasted trip. Something has to be done though.
I was recently taken off of mtx due to extreme elevated liver enzymes. 440 to be exact. My eyes were beginning to yellow, and now waiting for an appointment to see a g.I. specialist for my liver. I've been off of the mtx for only a week and a half. I'm on it along with Humira for Rheumatoid Arthritis.
Thanks for your input on this very old thread.

I hope your liver enzymes will begin to drop soon and significantly. Please share with us how you are doing.

Best of Luck,
~Tuck