Arthritis Community
LRTI Surgery for Basal Joint Arthritis

LRTI Surgery for Basal Joint Arthritis

I had Ligament Reconstruction Tendon Interposition (LRTI) surgery about a month ago to treat basal joint arthritis in my thumb.  I am still having pain in the basal joint area and was wondering if there is anyone here who has had the same surgery and can tell me whether that is normal during the long recovery period.  I have an appointment with my surgeon in a couple of weeks, but I would love to talk to someone else who has had the procedure.  I
I have not had this surgery but did a little research on the web.  I found an article indicating that the recovery time for this procedure is 6 months BUT I also found a testimonial from a patient who went through physical therapy following the procedure and was pain free and able to function well after 2 months.
I also found some medhelp threads on this subject - check out http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/426685.  You might pm the two who had this surgery and see if you can get more information from them.
Wow, thank you so much for checking this out for me.  I really appreciate the help.
Glad to be of help to you!  Let us know how everything works out.  Would be interested to hear your opinions on this procedure as you progress through your rehab.
i am scheduled for this surgery AND my surgeon and 4 hand physical therapists said it's normal for it to hurt for up to 12 weeks in some people. In fact they all said that people who got it done on one hand never went back for the second hand 'cuz the procedure was so painful. hang in there.  read a study that after 12 years, success rate was 98% and no one regretted it or had any problems again. And, it's a full on six months before your hand is normal. Again, just keep telling yourself this is an investment in your future.
is there any connection between basal cell carcinoma (skin cancer) and basal cell athritis??
I've had LRTI surgery on my left thumb. I am 6 weeks out, have a k-wire and look forward to it coming out on 1 Apr 13.  Not sure what to expect but had to be better than Pre-op!
Wow, I am looking into this treatment. I have tried EVERYTHING short of living on pain meds. After reading the comments I am once again afraid to do this.
While the docs all say it's successful, it's the patients results that matter.
What to do ....
Can a Dr please jump in and comment??
Jenn Chesnut
I had LRTI surgery on my left thumb nearly 3 years ago and am fixin to have it on my right thumb in about a month.  While it took a good 3 to 4 months recovery time and then still longer to slowly regain strength, it was the BEST thing I could have done.  Being right handed, I realize this next surgery will be tougher in that it will be more difficult to do things while in a cast but it is definitely a means to an end - that end being free from the constant pain.  You will probably not regain all of your fingertip strength after having this done, but when you are in so much pain beforehand, you don't have much strength anyway.  Good luck!!!  After it's all said and done, I think you'll be glad you did it.  I was!!  
I am a professional guitarist, pianist, bassist, and private teacher, and am needing this operation.  I guess I don't see anyway around it, but does anyone have experience with these instruments post-op?  My surgeon tells me that I have tendonitis, and carpal tunnel, and wants to do all three surgeries at the same time--seems frightening.  I am a 53 yr.-old male, and any comments or help in understanding this procedure would be much appreciated!  Thank-you.
Hi john, I am a professional guitar player and need this surgery, how did yours turn out?I am curious about the healing and how long it took to get your chops back