Arthritis Community
LRTI Surgery for Basal Joint Arthritis

LRTI Surgery for Basal Joint Arthritis

I had Ligament Reconstruction Tendon Interposition (LRTI) surgery about a month ago to treat basal joint arthritis in my thumb.  I am still having pain in the basal joint area and was wondering if there is anyone here who has had the same surgery and can tell me whether that is normal during the long recovery period.  I have an appointment with my surgeon in a couple of weeks, but I would love to talk to someone else who has had the procedure.  I
I have not had this surgery but did a little research on the web.  I found an article indicating that the recovery time for this procedure is 6 months BUT I also found a testimonial from a patient who went through physical therapy following the procedure and was pain free and able to function well after 2 months.
I also found some medhelp threads on this subject - check out http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/426685.  You might pm the two who had this surgery and see if you can get more information from them.
Wow, thank you so much for checking this out for me.  I really appreciate the help.
Glad to be of help to you!  Let us know how everything works out.  Would be interested to hear your opinions on this procedure as you progress through your rehab.
i am scheduled for this surgery AND my surgeon and 4 hand physical therapists said it's normal for it to hurt for up to 12 weeks in some people. In fact they all said that people who got it done on one hand never went back for the second hand 'cuz the procedure was so painful. hang in there.  read a study that after 12 years, success rate was 98% and no one regretted it or had any problems again. And, it's a full on six months before your hand is normal. Again, just keep telling yourself this is an investment in your future.
is there any connection between basal cell carcinoma (skin cancer) and basal cell athritis??
I've had LRTI surgery on my left thumb. I am 6 weeks out, have a k-wire and look forward to it coming out on 1 Apr 13.  Not sure what to expect but had to be better than Pre-op!
Wow, I am looking into this treatment. I have tried EVERYTHING short of living on pain meds. After reading the comments I am once again afraid to do this.
While the docs all say it's successful, it's the patients results that matter.
What to do ....
Can a Dr please jump in and comment??
Jenn Chesnut
I had LRTI surgery on my left thumb nearly 3 years ago and am fixin to have it on my right thumb in about a month.  While it took a good 3 to 4 months recovery time and then still longer to slowly regain strength, it was the BEST thing I could have done.  Being right handed, I realize this next surgery will be tougher in that it will be more difficult to do things while in a cast but it is definitely a means to an end - that end being free from the constant pain.  You will probably not regain all of your fingertip strength after having this done, but when you are in so much pain beforehand, you don't have much strength anyway.  Good luck!!!  After it's all said and done, I think you'll be glad you did it.  I was!!  
I am a professional guitarist, pianist, bassist, and private teacher, and am needing this operation.  I guess I don't see anyway around it, but does anyone have experience with these instruments post-op?  My surgeon tells me that I have tendonitis, and carpal tunnel, and wants to do all three surgeries at the same time--seems frightening.  I am a 53 yr.-old male, and any comments or help in understanding this procedure would be much appreciated!  Thank-you.
Hi john, I am a professional guitar player and need this surgery, how did yours turn out?I am curious about the healing and how long it took to get your chops back
I just had an LRTI after having three bones removed from my wrist.  Im now 4 1/2 months out and my thumb keeps rolling toward my palm. With my exercising the base of my thumb kicks in and is painful.  He Dr. Said there is really nothing more to do short of fusing my wrist.  It just seems like it's the thumb that is loose.  Please help
I had an LRTI 6 1/2 weeks ago and it is so painful. I wore a hard splint for the 1st 2 weeks, a cast for the next 4 weeks and I am now in a removal thumb spika splint. I take it off to do the 2 exercises they want me to do. I am not too successful at moving my thumb in the direction they would like me to. I still swell off and on but a cold pack seems to help that. I feel significant pain most of the time; I do have hydrocodone to manage the pain but cannot take it as often as necessary because it makes me sleepy and I have responsibilities to tend to. At this point I am feeling frustrated that I cannot use that hand as much as I thought I would be able to. I really need my hand back!! I do not know if the pain in the thumb joint is normal at this stage but just like you I have pain.
I, too, am about 7 weeks post surgery.  I think the pain  is normal due to the fact that everything in the basil joint area was cut, removed, poked, pulled, cleaned up, reconstructed, stitched and probably a number on thing done to it that we might not want to know about.  This is a surgery that has a long recovery period (I've read it can be as long as 6 months) so don't get discouraged.  Talk to you doctor about using ibuprofen between doses of Hydrocodone.  I have found this to be very helpful with pain management.  Also, alternate hot and cold compresses.  Hope this helps.
I am 4 weeks out from this surgery. I have the cast on for 2 more weeks. The joint is painful, just not as much as after the surgery. I take a hydrocodone at night and another midmorning. I take an 800 ibuprofen first thing in the morning then 8 hours later. I still put an ice pack on every few hours. Not looking forward to the physical therapy!  But I know it will be better eventually and I will not have the pain in the joint as before surgery.
Hello:  I'm entering my 10th post-operative LRPTI recovery month and I'm pain free with a full range of motion for the first time in over ten years.  Please be selective with your choice of rehab-therapist.  My doctor insisted that I see a Certified Hand Specialist as they have the tools, knowledge and skills to deal with the complicated workings of the hand.  You will be looking forward to your therapy visits as they will provide the assistance you'll need on this part of your journey.  Pain is what motivated me to seek a permanent cure.  The pain after surgery is now a dull memory and was certainly worth it .  Wishing you a superb recovery
Thank you!! There is a physical therapist office with a hand specialist in the office across the hall from my doctor. I will be going there. Thanks again for the information