LRTI Surgery for Basal Joint Arthritis
I had Ligament Reconstruction Tendon Interposition (LRTI) surgery about a month ago to treat basal joint arthritis in my thumb.  I am still having pain in the basal joint area and was wondering if there is anyone here who has had the same surgery and can tell me whether that is normal during the long recovery period.  I have an appointment with my surgeon in a couple of weeks, but I would love to talk to someone else who has had the procedure.  I
I have not had this surgery but did a little research on the web.  I found an article indicating that the recovery time for this procedure is 6 months BUT I also found a testimonial from a patient who went through physical therapy following the procedure and was pain free and able to function well after 2 months.
I also found some medhelp threads on this subject - check out http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/426685.  You might pm the two who had this surgery and see if you can get more information from them.
Wow, thank you so much for checking this out for me.  I really appreciate the help.
Glad to be of help to you!  Let us know how everything works out.  Would be interested to hear your opinions on this procedure as you progress through your rehab.
i am scheduled for this surgery AND my surgeon and 4 hand physical therapists said it's normal for it to hurt for up to 12 weeks in some people. In fact they all said that people who got it done on one hand never went back for the second hand 'cuz the procedure was so painful. hang in there.  read a study that after 12 years, success rate was 98% and no one regretted it or had any problems again. And, it's a full on six months before your hand is normal. Again, just keep telling yourself this is an investment in your future.
is there any connection between basal cell carcinoma (skin cancer) and basal cell athritis??
I've had LRTI surgery on my left thumb. I am 6 weeks out, have a k-wire and look forward to it coming out on 1 Apr 13.  Not sure what to expect but had to be better than Pre-op!
Wow, I am looking into this treatment. I have tried EVERYTHING short of living on pain meds. After reading the comments I am once again afraid to do this.
While the docs all say it's successful, it's the patients results that matter.
What to do ....
Can a Dr please jump in and comment??
Jenn Chesnut
I had LRTI surgery on my left thumb nearly 3 years ago and am fixin to have it on my right thumb in about a month.  While it took a good 3 to 4 months recovery time and then still longer to slowly regain strength, it was the BEST thing I could have done.  Being right handed, I realize this next surgery will be tougher in that it will be more difficult to do things while in a cast but it is definitely a means to an end - that end being free from the constant pain.  You will probably not regain all of your fingertip strength after having this done, but when you are in so much pain beforehand, you don't have much strength anyway.  Good luck!!!  After it's all said and done, I think you'll be glad you did it.  I was!!  
I am a professional guitarist, pianist, bassist, and private teacher, and am needing this operation.  I guess I don't see anyway around it, but does anyone have experience with these instruments post-op?  My surgeon tells me that I have tendonitis, and carpal tunnel, and wants to do all three surgeries at the same time--seems frightening.  I am a 53 yr.-old male, and any comments or help in understanding this procedure would be much appreciated!  Thank-you.
Hi john, I am a professional guitar player and need this surgery, how did yours turn out?I am curious about the healing and how long it took to get your chops back
I just had an LRTI after having three bones removed from my wrist.  Im now 4 1/2 months out and my thumb keeps rolling toward my palm. With my exercising the base of my thumb kicks in and is painful.  He Dr. Said there is really nothing more to do short of fusing my wrist.  It just seems like it's the thumb that is loose.  Please help
I had an LRTI 6 1/2 weeks ago and it is so painful. I wore a hard splint for the 1st 2 weeks, a cast for the next 4 weeks and I am now in a removal thumb spika splint. I take it off to do the 2 exercises they want me to do. I am not too successful at moving my thumb in the direction they would like me to. I still swell off and on but a cold pack seems to help that. I feel significant pain most of the time; I do have hydrocodone to manage the pain but cannot take it as often as necessary because it makes me sleepy and I have responsibilities to tend to. At this point I am feeling frustrated that I cannot use that hand as much as I thought I would be able to. I really need my hand back!! I do not know if the pain in the thumb joint is normal at this stage but just like you I have pain.
I, too, am about 7 weeks post surgery.  I think the pain  is normal due to the fact that everything in the basil joint area was cut, removed, poked, pulled, cleaned up, reconstructed, stitched and probably a number on thing done to it that we might not want to know about.  This is a surgery that has a long recovery period (I've read it can be as long as 6 months) so don't get discouraged.  Talk to you doctor about using ibuprofen between doses of Hydrocodone.  I have found this to be very helpful with pain management.  Also, alternate hot and cold compresses.  Hope this helps.
I am 4 weeks out from this surgery. I have the cast on for 2 more weeks. The joint is painful, just not as much as after the surgery. I take a hydrocodone at night and another midmorning. I take an 800 ibuprofen first thing in the morning then 8 hours later. I still put an ice pack on every few hours. Not looking forward to the physical therapy!  But I know it will be better eventually and I will not have the pain in the joint as before surgery.
Hello:  I'm entering my 10th post-operative LRPTI recovery month and I'm pain free with a full range of motion for the first time in over ten years.  Please be selective with your choice of rehab-therapist.  My doctor insisted that I see a Certified Hand Specialist as they have the tools, knowledge and skills to deal with the complicated workings of the hand.  You will be looking forward to your therapy visits as they will provide the assistance you'll need on this part of your journey.  Pain is what motivated me to seek a permanent cure.  The pain after surgery is now a dull memory and was certainly worth it .  Wishing you a superb recovery
Thank you!! There is a physical therapist office with a hand specialist in the office across the hall from my doctor. I will be going there. Thanks again for the information
Hello: I'm also in my 10th week out, but my pain is still there. I've been in therapy once a week for three weeks now. I really thought I was doing great. I have lots of strength and can lift a gallon of milk and pour with no problem. My pinch strength is good also. Back to the pain, it never stops and is lots worse after the therapy. It takes me three days afterwards before I can use it again without a lot of pain. I know it takes some people longer and I am 65 yrs old, just hoping it goes away soon. I'm glad you are doing great. Thanks for listening
I am 7 days post op from a LRTI Arthroplaxty on my left thumb. My ortho must believe in fast track. I started with a soft 1/2 hard cast and on the 3rd day of post op met with physical therapist who removed cast and replaced with hard 1/2 removable splint cast. I've been on pain meds and know I need them for at least another week. The pain is great after this surgery and I keep telling myself this. Will all be worth it in 10 months or so. It just seems so far away. Does anyone else who has had this surgery been to physical therapy so soon after surgery? From what I have researched most people have had to wait usually 2-3 weeks and after stitches are removed to start therapy. How long has your physicians prescribed pain medication for you after this surgery? Any info would help. I trying to wrap my head around all this pain I'm in.
I am almost 6 weeks post op on left dominant hand.  I started physio at 4 1/2 weeks, so have been about 4 times. Docs will not give me pain meds, but did put me on Prednisone to reduce swelling.  Must say this is all very brutal both physically and mentally.  I use "pain meditation" CD's that help, lots of microwave hot paks.  About 3 times a day I fill up the sink with very hot water and start my exercises in there, then move to the table.  I am only taking Tylenol.  Good news is that recent xrays showed all surgical aspects to be in place.  Now, I'll just be patient and do the work.  I started driving again yesterday.  Must say that my hand is of none to little use right now, although I am typing with it.  Probably good exercise.  Since you are close to me in time, stay in touch.  P.S. I am 68.
How long do I have to wear the splint, after surgery
Sorry - I am not seeing any recent activity from the last two posters. In order to reach them you might try leaving a note on their Profile Pages.

If a member selects the option to be notified of notes and messages they may see yours and respond. Sorry I can't do better for you.

If you'd like to begin a discussion, ask questions or make comments please begin a new thread. You'll get better visibility and most likely more responses. This is a very old thread and belongs to another person. Your participation is important to us.

Thanks,
~Tuck
Please begin new thread and share you information.

"Old people"??? There are better terms and that is not very descriptive. Arthritis can occur at any age. There is juvenile arthritis that strikes  300,000 of our children under the age of 16.

Juvenile arthritis (JA) is not a disease in itself. Also known as pediatric rheumatic disease, JA is an umbrella term used to describe the many autoimmune and inflammatory conditions or pediatric rheumatic diseases that can develop in children under the age of 16.

Arthritis - both RA and Osteo can strike at any age. Most practitioners will say that once you reach 50 you have some form and some degree of degeneration of joints and often arthritis sets in.

Thanks for your input.
~Tuck
I'm 10 days out from surgery on my left thumb.  Had an arm block before the surgery  and sailed through.  1 day on vicodon ( I hate the stuff - makes me nauseous, but knocked me out and made me forget about the pain).  Next day 2 days took one Naproxen.  Getting the stitches out tomorrow and will be in a removable cast (have a half cast now).  My pain is not horrid and I certainly don't need meds for it, as long as I am in the splint and not moving it.  Area hurts to touch.  Tendons in my forearm have locked up a few times and that is painful, but I rubbed them out.  Some shooting pains near the joint area on occasion.    Looking forward to therapy and being done with the casts. It will be a long process, but I'm a trooper and will get through it and be happier on the other side, I hope!