ARTHRITIS
COMMUNITY
Meloxicam 15mg vs. 800mg ibuprofen
by Techguy727, Dec 21, 2011
Hi there! I was just prescribed meloxicam 15mg for arthritis along with prilosec for acid reflux. I was wondering if you could tell me if meloxicam would be better for pain relief compared to 800mg ibuprofen. Also does it take time for meloxicam to build up in my body for maximum benefit? If so, how long does it take? Thanks very much! :)
Member Comments (4)
by S. Kaul, MDBlank, Jan 19, 2012
Hi there!

Both the medication with give almost equal amount of pain relief though meloxicam is associated with fewer side effects as compared to ibuprofen. Though pain relief may be immediate, anti-inflammatory action may take a few days to build up.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
by Ace_607, Mar 30, 2013
It varies from person to person. I have had both 800mg IB. And 800mg Meloxicam and one thing I know being on numerious medications for the past 10 years due to bad car accidents, is that your body will build a tolerance to all medications I'm no Dr but my best advice is to consult your Dr about alternating between both so that way your body doesn't build a high tolerance and they stop working altogether. I'm on 2 different pain medications and being that they are opiods they scare the **** out of me, so I have a system I use to keep my tolerance low so I'm not on high doses or become addicted to the medicine. It has worked for 10 yrs my MDD of Percocet has never exceeded 4 tabs a day other than  during a recent surgery and my MS Contin has never exceeded more than 2 10mg tabs - 1 every 12 hrs. I'm pending another Multi. Surgery on my shoulder and intend to bring myself back down to the lowest doses possible as soon as I can. Remember what works for one person may not for another ALWAYS Consult a Dr before adding or changing Medications.
by Ace_607, Mar 30, 2013
15mg Meloxicam*
by jemma116, Mar 31, 2013
Meloxicam is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug but has fewer gastrointestinal side effects than other anti-inflammatory drugs that is why you have also been prescribed with prilosec.

I had been taking Ibuprofen, but have had to stop because my legs went red, very painful (not my usual arthritic pain) and swelled up.  Since stopping the Ibuprofen my legs have now got back to normal.
Unfortunately my arthritic pains are pretty bad because I am not taking any medicaiton for it.

My doctor told me that Ibuprofen can cause odema.