Arthritis Expert Forum
Pain only on left side of body

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

Pain only on left side of body

Hi,I was in a car accident in 2000. Pain started in left low back and left hip and neck. Many Mris and 120 physical therapy sessions later, it did lessen a bit. My left ankle at this time also was starting to hurt. Doctor suggested to take out uterus with fibroids. He thought it was laying on the left side and pushing against arteries/vessels? and aggravating the left sided pain. So had uterus removal. Within a few days of operation, pelvic area started to fill up with fluids. After 5 weeks went for CT scan. This showed huge areas of hyperdense loculated fluid. Kept aspirating fluid but it kept coming back. Then an external bag was put in place and I had to keep emptying bag for a month. At one point the radiologist called and said that they found a bacteria strepptococus. But when he found out that I had no fever he said that the results were probably not correct. While this bag was attached to me it was very painful when I would pump the bag to empty the bag. It would cause a certain path around my hip and stiffness in my neck and pain down my leg. As if it was touching an exposed nerve. It was all in the left side. I had the most severe pain around my left chest, side of neck, tingling of left cheek, tingling of fingers. When looking at the mirror I could see that the blue veins were standing out in front of my left chest area only. Thought I was having a stroke twice. Went to hospital. Emergency room did X-ray on chest. Gave me aspirin and let me go. Found no problems in heart. The doctors then operated on me yet again to take out ovaries. They were not sure if a lymphocele or ovarian fibroids were causing this water. After this last operation I have been in a bad shape.
My left hip trochanteric area is very tight with pain. When pushing against the left hip joint area I can feel little nodules that are inflamed. My left IT band is so tight and painful that I can hardly push against my bone there. Left knee and ankle pain. Almost as if my left side is dying. Constant tightness under shoulder blade, side of neck, under jaw and tingling on left side. Feel like there is not enough blood to go around. Being sent for another MRI of left hip. Can this MRI show if the titanium clip used in last operation is causing any problems? Can these clips cause blood flow problems? Could it show any lymph node inflammation? Should the doctor ask the MRI technicians to look for specifics? Everytime I lay on my back my muscles in leg and thigh twitches badly. Could there have been some nerve damage? If so, what tests are out there to see what happened in my pelvic area? If the bacteria that the lab found was actually there could it have gone into my bone and caused some infection there? My bone hurts. I don't know if it is artery, lymphnode, bone or tissue inflammation or what. Everyone is trying to help but I feel like I'm running out of time. Is there an infection that can be contained by anti-biotics? What test should be done? Please help me if you can.THANX
Difficult to say without evaluation.  You clearly have had a comprehensive workup without a clear diagnosis.  

With the clips - I'm not sure a repeat MRI can be done.  A CT of the affected area can be considered to look for inflammation, scarring or lymph node enlargement.  Nerve damage can be evaluated with electrodiagnostic testing like an EMG.  

To evaluate the pelvic area (i.e. for abscess or fluid), an ultrasound or CT scan can be considered.  

If the diagnosis is unclear, yet pain continues, a referral to a pain clinic can be considered.  These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
I read your blog on the web md site pertaining to pain on left side of your body.  I was in a car accident back in 1991 and know that I have a bulging and herniated disc in L5 & S1.
Last year I started having some swelling in the side of my left knee with pain in my leg.  After several ultrasounds they determined I had a superficial blood clot in my greater sapheounous vein. After taking Lovonox shots to get rid of it, I still had pain. Then I was given heavy antibiotics to treat what they thought was phelibitos. I then had a swelling on the outside of my left thigh. After going to the doctor I was told to not worry about it due to some internal bleeding in my subcantaneous tissue due to the Lovonox shots.  I will note that I never shot myself in my thigh, only my abdonmen.  I ignore it and everything for the most part subsides, except the swelling in the outside of my left thigh- does not hurt though.
About six or so months go by and again same pain. This time they say it is not a clot, but an MRI done and just some fibroid fatty tissue, etc. No need to excise the areas. Once again- ignore it and eventually subsides for the most part. The pain feels like my viens are being stretched as far as they can like a rubber band that is about to snap.
Again about two weeks ago a large bump on the behind/side of my inner knee, pain down my whole leg. Go for an MRI and I get told negative study.  This morning my jaw on left side is killing me. Sure this has nothing to do with it, but would like to know what is going on.  I feel your aggrevation and pain.

Wish I had suggestions.....
Did you ever receive any update on this...I've been living with the same issue for long time now.