Arthritis Community
Palindromic Arthritis

Palindromic Arthritis

Does anyone have any pain relief medication they are using that actually works .... I know this is a strange question but normal NSAIDS & Pain relief don't work - it doesn't even ease the pain when it hits...

Are you looking to to stay away from narcotics or are you okay with the possibility of taking thme long term if needed? do you have addiction in your passed, I don't mean to be nosey but it really makes a difference when deciding if you want to be beholden to narcotics for the rest of your life. yes there are great ones that help  alot but they can also become part of the problem. I suggest the extended relief if you find you are in pain all the time, something like a Kadian or the Fentanyl Patch and then something milder for breakthrough pain like Opana or Dilauded. You will need to talk to your doctor and possibly seek the guidence of a Pain management Doctor. There is a great Pain Management Forum on here that you may want to consult for better advice. Best of luck and I hope you are pain free soon

XO
Babs
Thanks ---
No problem asking, you can't know if you don't ask !   I have no addiction history at all.

Sometimes when it is 9-1/2 on the old 1-10 pain scale I have been known to take morphine but it doesn't even ease it..  If I do have a flare it usually sits on 9-1/2 with no letup for 29 hrs and then drops to sit between 7-9 for another 48 hrs

PRA has a history of NSAIDS not being able to help --
Have you ever been given darvocet or hydrocodone?  What about a muscle relaxer like zanaflex or flexeril?  I use a combo of darvocet and 1 of the 2 muscle relaxers (zanflex during the day and flexeril at night) and that provides enough relief to allow me to function.
I just turned 30yrs old (female) was sick for 6yrs before they figured out what was wrong with me so ive been thru the ringer as far as pain medications etc..I have chronic pancreatitis and had half my pancreas removed less than a year ago.. And still dealing with surgical pain and the continual pain from the pancreatitis.I'm on morphine 2 15mg every 4hrs which worked, well, it worked really good at first now it won't even help make a headache go away! I just weaned myself off of OxyContin because I don't like taking a lot of meds. . I've used Percocet and was at the highest dose possible and didn't really help  but that was before this "new" formula came out.(but It did work when I first started taking it & really well, but I was on it for 3years so it lost its efficacy) OxyContin does work really well but your body can get very addicted to it (your mind might not be addicted but your body feels like it needs it. its a crazy feeling And i am NO addict). I was on it for... 3-4yrs before I weaned myself off and it was one of the hardest things I've ever done and I was cut open from sternum to "below the belt"... That was easier than getting off OxyContin. So just a warning on that...The one thing I've figured out is if you have a good dr that understands the meds like I do they will switch it up once you build a tolerance. ie. Percocet for 3-6 months then switch to morphine for 3-6months so that your body doesn't get used to the meds. Just something I've learned over the years.
I don't respond to NSAID's at all, even before I got sick it had to take prescribed medications for migraines etc. (not always narcotic meds just saying that.. like, a Tylenol or ibuprofen has never worked for me)

Hope this helps