Arthritis Community
Sudden Joint Stiffness and Some Swelling

Hi.  I have been taking topamax for migraine prevention for approximately 4 months.  I have pain in my shoulders, hips, knees, wrists and ankles.  The pain came on very suddenly.  I read that topamax can have joint pain as one of the side effects and have weaned myself off the med.  I have not taken any for the past 4-5 days.  However, I am still very stiff and achy and my ankles have been swollen for the past 2 days. Do you think that this is still a side-effect of the topamax or maybe something else?
love your user name!  I think you should talk to your doctor about the pains you are having and the possible causes - side effects or new issues.  There may be another migraine medication you can use, too.  Migraines are such a misery and I cannot imagine suffering without meds to help.  Please let us know what you find out!
Avatar n tn
I think that's what I'm going to do.....schedule an appt. with my doctor.  I WILL let ya know what I find out.  have a great day.  :)
I am glad you are going back in.  Look forward to hearing back from you!