Arthritis Community
Urgent 5 yr old

Urgent 5 yr old

I have a 5 yr old son and he constantly cry about bone pain in his legs and knees... His doctor says they are growing pain but I dont believe it what can I do??
Well, first if the doctor persists in telling you it's growing pain, and you don't believe it, make an appointment with a different doctor. Could be something like arthritis. Consult with the doctor.
Hi there, growing pains are common in legs and knees in young children, but if your instinct is telling you otherwise, don't hesitate to INSIST on a referral to a pediatric rheumatologist. It certainly won't hurt to rule out juvenile-onset rheumatoid arthritis, which is what I was diagnosed with at age 5. If it IS JRA/JIA, the sooner treatment is started, the better. Also keep in mind that blood tests never tell the whole story - all blood tests can appear normal even with physical symptoms. A good rheumie will know this and look at a broad range of evidence - xrays, maybe MRI, blood work, and most importantly, laying hands and eyes on each and every sore joint.

Good luck!!
Thanks.. I'm start looking for a specialist.. this problem is mostly during night but he crys a lot and he trys to stand up and the pain don't let him only tylenold helps hin for the pain.. what were ur simptoms? Carolanivey..
I had a fever, rash, and multiple joints with swelling, redness and pain. However, keep in mind that rheumatoid arthritis doesn't manifest the same way in any two patients. It can start with or without fever, with or without obvious swelling, though inflammation can be present without a lot of swelling.

One of the really clear hallmarks is heat and redness in the joint. Lay your hand on his shin or thigh to test the temperature, then lay your hand on his knee. Is there any temperature difference? Does the skin around the joint seem red? With little kids and their sometimes pudgy arms and legs, it can be hard to tell if a joint is swollen or not.

Does it seem better or worse in the mornings? Stiffness and pain in generally worse in the mornings with RA; growing pains tend to be worse at night. But again, no patient always follows a set pattern. I've had two kids and when they had growing pains of course I was scared! But they are both fine.

Chances are just as good nothing is wrong, so get him checked out and hope for the best. :)
I agree with Carol. These are the symptoms that really match with Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis. This kinda Arthritis is commonly found in children. Its good that you had started looking for an specialist. Its better that you must start treating before the condition becomes more worse.